• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt we ever get a repeat of the 2017 event. Directs + Twitter clearly work for Nintendo, there’s no need to put together a 2+ hour live show.

We’ll probably get like an hour long direct, with the first 15 minutes dedicated to hardware and the remaining 45 minutes as a standard direct, albeit closer to E3 in terms of announcements.
The January 2017 event was, IMO, the last stage presentation they’ll ever do. At the time it absolutely showed, first hand, the limitations of that kind of event. It aired at like, midnight in North America’s Eastern Time Zone, and while they did broadcast it with realtime English dubbing, it was obvious that the moment someone went off-script (cough Suda51 cough) the translator/voice over struggled to keep up.

The next Direct is very interesting to think about. All we know is BotW2 is coming next year in terms of major new installments in their series and that they have a new console coming. Then there are the obvious questions of when we will see the next 3D Mario and other teams of theirs that have not announced a new game in a long while.

It could be the big Direct that reveals the next generation of Nintendo, so Im really excited

If EPD Tokyo's next 3D Mario game is Holiday 2023 then I don't think we will see it in September. Their games tend to have relatively short periods between announcement and release (less than a year).
Only way I can see 3D Mario being a September Direct announcement is if they want to give the February Direct spotlight to Zelda and don't show Mario there instead.

It can be another Splatoon hype cycle situation where they revealed the game at February Direct, didn't show it at E3(that had Zelda trailer, Mario Party reveal and Metroid Dread "focus"), then shown it again in September. So, September reveal, February no show, then spotlight at E3.

Next week I’m wondering we will start hearing rumors of the next direct if it’s the week of September 7th.

Either way we are getting closer to September so not long now

How are we feeling on the likelihood that by the end of next month Zelda BotW 2 has a title and Metroid Prime is announced. My confidence level keeps going from very likely to no way haha. I am confident something happens in September just not sure the magnitude Hope it's not another partner. .
Metroid Prime Remastered: 99%
Zelda: 50%

Did the recent Fire Emblem leaks ever get proven false, or do we believe that they are real? I feel that we may get an announcement in the next direct if the leaks are actually real.
Nope they were never debunked.
And the rumors of the next FE is probably the most reliable and elaborated leak we have alongside MPR.

I'm quite confident on it being announced at the next Direct. I was thinking it would be this year up until we got M+R:SoH and Bayo 3 for October. Now I think the ship has sailed, so I'm going with a Q1 2023 release.

It was, in fact! Where people get mixed up is not 1,087°C, but rather 1,087 K

How much is that in chili numbers? More or less than my soon to be harvested crop of self-grown Bhut / Naga(ia) Jolokia*?

*Ghost Pepper for you english-based folks.

Would y'all settle for fewer directs in the year if they brought back Space World?

I would. I want Space World to come back so bad. They should move it to Utah as well. Why? Well, I live here. I'm Nintendo's number 1 fan so it should be here. But seriously, bring it back Nintendo. I'd travel just to go see it in person.

And Eternal Darkness. I haven't said that in a while.

TGS is the reason why Spaceworld doesn’t exist anymore.
Now I hate TGS. It took my Spacworld away. I remember seeing all the cool Spaceworld announcements and sets and stuff in my GamePro and EGM magazines. Y'all remember magazines? They should bring back Nintendo Power too. I'd subscribe.

But also, Nintendo hasn't gone to TGS for a while, so why not bring it back? They can move it to October. That's the best time to travel anyway.

Metroid Prime 1 remake is now part of the Nintendo vault and will not release until Switch mini release in 2040.
Nintendo waiting for the right time to release Metroid Prime 1 Remake:

Eke-7kZXYAAci38.jpg

Would y'all settle for fewer directs in the year if they brought back Space World?

I would. I want Space World to come back so bad. They should move it to Utah as well. Why? Well, I live here. I'm Nintendo's number 1 fan so it should be here. But seriously, bring it back Nintendo. I'd travel just to go see it in person.

And Eternal Darkness. I haven't said that in a while.
Simultaneous Space Worlds across the globe!

(I just don't want Toronto to miss out on the fun vibes 😥)

I will fucking lose it if they announce GB/GBA/GBC games AND GameCube games for Switch Online.
Beeeeeeeg same. Let the Zeldas and Mario and Metroid Primes get their remasters; maybe Pikmins too, but I want my Custom Robo, Chibi Robo, Starfox Adventures, Double Dash and Melee available to me because they ain't gonna be getting remasters or new entries any damn time soon.

But at the rate Nintendo is going, if they don't reset their retro service with their next console then maybe Gamecube has a shot of appearing in 2025 🙃

I don't know if the current Switch is powerful enough to emulate GameCube games. They could still come as eShop releases though
Switch is more than capable if Super Mario Sunshine is anything to go by; the biggest hassle will be storage space given the average gamecube game is about 1.2GB on average, but personally I think that could easily be rectified by using a Gamecube NSO applet as a shell that allows you to individually pick which games you want to download to your Switch for offline play.

If they were really pro-consumer they'd allow options like GamePass does for either downloading or cloud-based play, but for the time being I just want to see the service exist.

Switch is more than capable if Super Mario Sunshine is anything to go by; the biggest hassle will be storage space given the average gamecube game is about 1.2GB on average, but personally I think that could easily be rectified by using a Gamecube NSO applet as a shell that allows you to individually pick which games you want to download to your Switch for offline play.

If they were really pro-consumer they'd allow options like GamePass does for either downloading or cloud-based play, but for the time being I just want to see the service exist.
Wasn’t Sunshine a purpose-built emulation/source-port hybrid? Or was that Galaxy? I don’t remember. I believe I remember someone who knows emulator stuff saying that, just because they did Sunshine, doesn’t mean Gamecube emulation is even remotely “easy.”

though I could be misremembering?

Wasn’t Sunshine a purpose-built emulation/source-port hybrid? Or was that Galaxy? I don’t remember. I believe I remember someone who knows emulator stuff saying that, just because they did Sunshine, doesn’t mean Gamecube emulation is even remotely “easy.”

iirc Galaxy is the hybrid, and Sunshine is straight

Rumors floating around that the Apple Event is on the 7th, with iPhone launching the 16th.

I'm squarely in the 9/1 camp now. We still don't have any idea about the Splatoon 3 single-player campaign and they cheekily skipped right over that in the direct. That's easy enough to drop into a Direct the week before launch. They did this with Splatoon 2 when they dropped it onto the end of the ARMS direct a month before launch.

Still feeling like we'll see an Indie World next week, but I could easily see them rolling up indie stuff into the start of a general direct too.

Nintendo never does TGS which is why Space World used to happen.
Dunno if Nintendo would keep Apple's keynotes in mind for their planning, but a Direct with Splatoon 3 Single Player deets it's important to me, don't hurt me multi players, Zelda 2 it's NEVEAR releasing though and Metroid Prime they're probably sitting on this would be sweet.

They never do TGS but the September Directs are kinda planned around them right?

I don’t think Nintendo cares about an Apple event. The most it might affect it is Nintendo moves the Direct to the day after. I don’t think it’d bump it up by a whole week. I’m maintaining Sept. 7

I don't know if the current Switch is powerful enough to emulate GameCube games. They could still come as eShop releases though. GB/GBA are just a matter of time imo
It is, but barely. It’d require a lot of work/optimization/tricks to have a great, accurate emulation on a good selection of GC games.
So not impossible but I definitely expect it to be Drake exclusive.

I asked about that some time ago and can’t find the post again, but it seems to be suite reliable info and makes sense to me considering Switch’s capabilities.

With Nintendo's release calendar running out of full release dates at Pokemon in November, I think a September Direct being a regular version is the likeliest outcome; that assumes E3's cancellation was the primary factor behind Nintendo doing a Partner Showcase in June, of course.

Directs deal primarily, but not exclusively, with the next 6 months, after all. By September, Nintendo's "next 6 months" isn't very well defined.

So are people (in this thread) looking at the week/days before TGS for a Direct?
I certainly am. This thread isn‘t a monolith, some people think it’s August 31/Sept 1, some think it’s Sept 7/8, some think the week after.

I’m thinking September 7th myself.

Exactly. Until TGS I’m operating on the assumption that things are normal and the summer weirdness was just due to lack of E3. If we get to TGS and there’s still been no Direct, that’s when things will be wild and uncharted territory. Only a few weeks to find out.
Although TGS was really late last year, Nintendo had their Direct on September 23rd, which was before TGS but I wouldn't rule out them doing something AFTER TGS.

Although TGS was really late last year, Nintendo had their Direct on September 23rd, which was before TGS but I wouldn't rule out them doing something AFTER TGS.
Most Nintendo partners will probably want to show the games they have made a deal with Nintendo to be shown in a Direct in TGS. That is why it always happens before

I may be wrong but I think Nintendo skips TGS almost every year, so it’s not a good argument for dooming.

This is a tweet from NCL last year saying they wouldn't participate in TGS Online 2021, but still held a Direct beforehand.

That was because they were cited as part of the event and they wanted to clarify they were there to support some indies and in the buisness zone of the event iirc

I don’t think Nintendo cares about an Apple event. The most it might affect it is Nintendo moves the Direct to the day after. I don’t think it’d bump it up by a whole week. I’m maintaining Sept. 7
Yea I don’t think they’d bump it a week either, but I think that plus Splat and the fact they still need to put the Splat Single Player details out there makes me think it comes the week before instead of days before launch. That gives anyone who’s on the fence and wants single player reassurances time to get a pre-order in before retailers start shipping it out.

So let’s say it’s 75% Splat and 25% Apple that’s contributing to this logic.

Yea I don’t think they’d bump it a week either, but I think that plus Splat and the fact they still need to put the Splat Single Player details out there makes me think it comes the week before instead of days before launch. That gives anyone who’s on the fence and wants single player reassurances time to get a pre-order in before retailers start shipping it out.

So let’s say it’s 75% Splat and 25% Apple that’s contributing to this logic.
I don't think we're going to get any more single player details. We've already gotten two trailers. That's all we need.

Just to be on the safe side I am still not going to 100% expect a Direct this September. Eventually Nintendo will have to shed light on their 2023 plans, and a September presentation is a good way to start that messaging. With that said there are plenty of other ways they could announce new titles. It is a bit odd that we have not heard any rumblings from the usual sources, as this month is nearly over and September is coming up quick.

iirc Galaxy is the hybrid, and Sunshine is straight
Ah, yeah, Galaxy was the hybrid port/recompiled for Switch but you're right in that the Gamecube emulator NERD built was only good for Sunshine; I forgot that people did try injecting other ISOs into that emulator and none were successful.

I suppose it is very possible that Gamecube NSO could only potentially become a reality with the release of Drake if Nintendo believes the system has enough brute force power to force Gamecube games to work with minimal optimization (not already accounting for games that make use of the analog triggers like F-Zero GX, Luigi's Mansion and some Mario Party minigames), but while I'd love to see more Gamecube love in any capacity on Switch, I highly doubt they'd bring back the Virtual Console model just for this one system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom