• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

The reality isn't that it's expensive. It's that all three console makers, wants to keep their crazy high profit margins on accessories.
100% this is the reason.

It's just a shame because the magnetic Hall sticks 100% solve that drift problem that's existed for eternity and offer better accuracy from my experience. A cost effective solution exists that will ultimately reduce E-waste as well.

Grinds my gears!

The reality isn't that it's expensive. It's that all three console makers, wants to keep their crazy high profit margins on accessories.
I don't know about that. The profit is in game sales, and you can't play games without controllers. At launch, the cost of just the parts of a Joy-Con (to assemblers) cost more than the price of a Joy-Con Pair at market prices. Sure Nintendo probably got some discounts for them, but the Joy-Con are packed with technology. The profit margins at launch were extremely slim, if they existed at all.

Now there's been time to refine the design and let old parts get cheaper, I'd say there's a good chance they'd consider superior sticks. However if they DO move to hall-effect sticks in the next Switch, I doubt they'll announce it. That would essentially lose them every lawsuit on the matter instantly, since it would admit fault. If they do it silently and market them as "no deadzone" or "more accurate" analogue sticks, maybe they'd get away with it. My expectation is that they simply won't fix it, and if they do, they'll remain silent on the matter for legal reasons.

Well December, considering Christmas, season is almost ending guys.

January is crucial for leaks, be it insiders like Nate, Imran, Emily, bloomberg, nikkei, whatever, we don’t really care.

If their isn’t any news in january or mid february at most, I think new HW for first half 2023 dream is mostly dead.

Imagine if we get to the beginning of March/April and it's just like it is now.....silence....

that would be against Sony and MS's MO of "the same but more power". other than VR, there's not much avenue I can think of that isn't something both has already attempted and dropped
Oh, I thought you were talking about Nintendo/the new unit that will have "Drake".

People have been insisting that the next system, be it a successor or upgrade, will have 4k and DLSS as "gimmicks", but they are not "practical" gimmicks, some might even say they aren't even gimmicks at all! But saying they won't at least add an AR camera in there or some eccentric hardware sensor to me is a bit hard to believe, since even the modest Nintendo DSi got inside/outside cameras.

Oh, I thought you were talking about Nintendo/the new unit that will have "Drake".

People have been insisting that the next system, be it a successor or upgrade, will have 4k and DLSS as "gimmicks", but they are not "practical" gimmicks, some might even say they aren't even gimmicks at all! But saying they won't at least add an AR camera in there or some eccentric hardware sensor to me is a bit hard to believe, since even the modest Nintendo DSi got inside/outside cameras.
It's not impossible for Nintendo to put a camera on this thing, but it is worth noting that Orin has extensive support for cameras and realtime manipulation of those images, and Drake removes all of it.

Maybe Nintendo got better at dealing with leaks. Maybe they consolidated the supply chain, reshaped their contracts to tighten NDAs. If there is an anti-leak bonus for all factory workers, any potential leaker would think twice before leaking anything or risk loosing the bonus and the respect of his peers.
I highly suspect this is the case. Given the internal gigaleak and Nvidia's own data compromises, I'm pretty sure they had a security overhauls and probably some need-to-know/least privilage access restructuring. At this point Nintendo might be more secretive than the NSA.

It's not impossible for Nintendo to put a camera on this thing, but it is worth noting that Orin has extensive support for cameras and realtime manipulation of those images, and Drake removes all of it.
True, but I think there will be some form of gimmick or another outside of graphical prowess.

Miracasting could be one thing or perhaps even something like built-in livestreaming.

100% this is the reason.

It's just a shame because the magnetic Hall sticks 100% solve that drift problem that's existed for eternity and offer better accuracy from my experience. A cost effective solution exists that will ultimately reduce E-waste as well.

Grinds my gears!
well if manufacturers in china are moving towards better sticks then economies of scale will come into play and the console makers will adopt them

I don't know about that. The profit is in game sales, and you can't play games without controllers. At launch, the cost of just the parts of a Joy-Con (to assemblers) cost more than the price of a Joy-Con Pair at market prices. Sure Nintendo probably got some discounts for them, but the Joy-Con are packed with technology. The profit margins at launch were extremely slim, if they existed at all.

Now there's been time to refine the design and let old parts get cheaper, I'd say there's a good chance they'd consider superior sticks. However if they DO move to hall-effect sticks in the next Switch, I doubt they'll announce it. That would essentially lose them every lawsuit on the matter instantly, since it would admit fault. If they do it silently and market them as "no deadzone" or "more accurate" analogue sticks, maybe they'd get away with it. My expectation is that they simply won't fix it, and if they do, they'll remain silent on the matter for legal reasons.
They saw a business case for that. They thought it would sell more controllers: game systems.

None of the console makers has seen a business case for driftless controllers.

Last edited:
They saw a business case for that. They thought it would sell more controllers: game systems.

They (none of the console makers) has seen a business case for driftless controllers.
this where where you start making two tiers of controllers: cheap ones that break easily ("hey, they're cheap enough that you can easily buy another") and premium controllers ("don't break but the markup is obscene"). we're seeing the latter on PS and Xbox, but the other end just isn't cheap enough

They (none of the console makers) has seen a business case for driftless controllers.
Do they not?

Depends if:
Cost of using driftless sticks < Cost of repairing millions of Joy-Con for free and legal fees for not fixing it?

Damn. I was hoping for some AR features. My friends and I had so much fun with the DSi and 3DS cameras. Oh well.

They still have tensor cores though. If your game doesnt use dlss, I bet you could do a lot with them. Including AR.

Drake doesn't need to be able to drive a car safely in traffic.

Last edited:
They still have tensor cores though. If your game doesnt use dlss, I bet you could do a lot with them. Including AR.

Drake doesn't need to be able to drive a car safely in traffic.
I'm surprised Nvidia hasn't shown off more potential for the tensor cores. it does make me wonder what else could even be done with them outside of inference

I'm surprised Nvidia hasn't shown off more potential for the tensor cores. it does make me wonder what else could even be done with them outside of inference
Because nobody would make a game that has a Nvidia RTX card as a minimum requirement to play the game.

That equation could change when a game console has one.

Because nobody would make a game that has a Nvidia RTX card as a minimum requirement to play the game.

That equation could change when a game console has one.
that's more why I mentioned Nvidia specifically. it's not out of the question for them to offer an alternative path for non-enabled gpus. and as general proof-of-concepts

There is no "for good" solution. Controller drift has always been with us. It has become more common though, across the industry. Joy-Cons are especially vulnerable to it because they're not very thick. It'll be interesting to see if they come up with a solution that is cost effective and small.
Do we know why this problem has become more frequent than in the past?

Is it really an unsolvable malfunction? It seems that there are working technological alternatives provided by third-party companies. It would seem that electromagnetic mechanics could be a viable solution.

If this is indeed the case, nothing would justify Nintendo not doing the necessary to implement them. Especially since they are currently targeted by several consumer class actions both in the United States and in Europe. I mean material strength was literally part of the DNA of Nintendo products so far. The Switch may be a huge leap forward in a lot of areas, but in terms of reliability, it's a huge letdown.

Do we know why this problem has become more frequent than in the past?

Is it really an unsolvable malfunction? It seems that there are working technological alternatives provided by third-party companies. It would seem that electromagnetic mechanics could be a viable solution.

If this is indeed the case, nothing would justify Nintendo not doing the necessary to implement them. Especially since they are currently targeted by several consumer class actions both in the United States and in Europe. I mean material strength was literally part of the DNA of Nintendo products so far. The Switch may be a huge leap forward in a lot of areas, but in terms of reliability, it's a huge letdown.
the thickness means they can't use thicker material which would be more durable. and it's probably a case of the providing company cheapening out on material

I'm just gonna say it:

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I am confused. I see the name of the other founder in the piece of code posted by oldpuck.

Last edited:
Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom