• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Nintendo could've said they'd announce a new integrated hardware software platform this year. They chose to say successor to the switch. I do think they intended for people to draw some kind of inference from that.

That said though, Gibson's tweet was nonsense, Furakawa was just blank pr stonewalling the question.

I don't have time to compile the details, but, from the shipment listings:

The console has 12 GB RAM, from two 6 GB 7500 MT/s LPDDR5 (LPDDR5X? it's unclear) modules. The internal storage is 256 GB of UFS 3.1.

Thank you to several other people who have been sharing in the research on these listings to determine this.
This is really good, like really. Probably they didn't go for 16GB due to power efficient reasons. In any case, this will definitely close the gap between Switch 2 and PS5/XSX and the existence of XSS will end up really cinceniente for Nintendo lol unless Microsoft kills it before

By looking at the manufacturer I think it will be the base LPDDR5, because they have already a line for 12GB Ram, while for the X variant the minimum is 16GB.
Am I wrong or we had some more clear informations than hours ago?

This is really good, like really. Probably they didn't go for 16GB due to power efficient reasons. In any case, this will definitely close the gap between Switch 2 and PS5/XSX and the existence of XSS will end up really cinceniente for Nintendo lol unless Microsoft kills it before
Memory amount doesn't significantly increase power draw. Memory speed does. The only reason for not having 16 is $.

We don't need a translation to know what he said. The phrase Furukawa and the investor both used is, specifically, the phrase from the announcement tweet. But that's not what's even important. I only posted that comparison because someone asked me how I can be sure Gibson's (mis)quote and the Q&A answer were the same response.

The investor asked "does this phrase mean the hardware is like the Switch." Furukawa replied "I'm not going to confirm anything about the hardware." So Gibson is reporting incorrectly by saying Furukawa said something that confirms the hardware is like the Switch. End of story.
[/QUOTE
Gibson: "Switch next model is the appropriate way to describe it."

Machine: "We decided that it would be best to use the expression 'successor to the Nintendo Switch.'"

It's the same response, except that the first one is doing the opposite of what Furukawa said (confirming something about the hardware), and the second one is just reiterating the clearly pre-prepared PR phrase from the announcement tweet like you would expect them to.

But I give up. If people don't care that Gibson reported something untrue -- regardless of whether the reality is the hardware being like the Switch or not -- then I guess I can't convince them to care.

You don't need to convince me to care nor to convince me of anything, at the end of the day I really don't care if the twit is misleading or not, that is not going to change the reality nor nintendo's final actions, not to mention my day.

With that being said, I think there are people around here that have been on these calls, so if any of them sees this: is the official q&a report provided by the company an accurate (may I say unaltered) depiction of what was discussed ?

big ups to the detectives bringing us (and hell the entire internet) that sweet sweet bounty.

so on the spec side only the one big question remains. yes, that thing again.

the system is large, but it's still relatively thin. and there's seemingly a second fan in the dock and you know what that might mean...

it would be glorious if Nintendo went all in and our best assumptions were true. especially as the RAM situation is rather excellent, surely the rest of the system will leverage this.

I can speak JP. Can confirm that he basically just said it'd be appropriate to call it the successor to the Switch.
For what it's worth, keep in mind nearly the same language was used to describe the Wii U:

Just wanted to hop in for a moment from my lurking shadow to thank all the people doing such amazing work in this discoveries!

The floodgates will open soon enough

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I was still self-banned when this ninspider stuff went down I think. Can I get a quick lore dump?
Ninspider popped into the thread and posted in hide tags stuff about magnetic joycon that this thread had already found in customs data a while back, and "rounder" joycons which a factory uncle had already shared (that was also posted here). And also the addition of something about there being more buttons on the controllers. People started using a messianic term to refer to them and then they dipped, saying they wouldn't share any more until the announcement. Then a week or so later the announcement occurred and people took that to mean ninspider knew the announcement was landing soon and is thus a new legit insider. And I remain baffled by how a user sharing info that was (mostly) already in this thread makes them both an insider and a messiah. 😅

Remember when Dragon Quest XI was announced for NX, prior to the Switch reveal?

Dragon Quest Day is May 27th.

Square Enix has the chance to announce the first Switch 2 game early with Dragon Quest XII.

The Nvidia hack. There's a ton of detail there.

The one that was leaked multiple years ago right?

If so, that's quite surprising. I've been following the news after the hack for a good while and I've literally never seen anyone discuss those particular numbers. Hell, not even in this thread!

Do magnets not disturb screens anymore? I think the idea is cool to have magnetic joycons, but I'd be worried about them being near the screen.
only if you still have a CRT :ROFLMAO:

btw im lookin at these ram chips and microns page says 3750mhz, but everywhere i can find them all list them as only 3200mhz. someone here is wrong lol and itd be weird if it was the manufacturer, but even weirder if everyone else thinks its different

The one that was leaked multiple years ago right?

If so, that's quite surprising. I've been following the news after the hack for a good while and I've literally never seen anyone discuss those particular numbers. Hell, not even in this thread!
Oh it's been discussed, but warps and scheduler counts is to low level for most of us. Hard to understand the implications here. So that's why it's not commonly discussed.

Well, now I have my theory set: they"LL continue to sell switch1 and switch2 will be Back to LCD, since I don't see for a comfortable <400 price from Nintendo.

4-450€ is where I see it happening, and that means at least for the first year they need to keep selling switches.

Last edited:
Do magnets not disturb screens anymore? I think the idea is cool to have magnetic joycons, but I'd be worried about them being near the screen.
Magnets CAN disturbe SOME components... But for the most part no. Screens don't care since we're not shooting electrons at glas anymore, we don't use mechanical hard drives, and presumably there wont be hall effect sticks.

Magnet field sensors need to be calibrated with the magnets in mind, wireless antennas for interferences. But with calibration and shielding it should work fine.

An example: Microsoft surface pro book, the screen locks via magnets into the keyboard.

it's within expectations. and yes, it's good

So my concern is, ps5 is from 2020 nov?
When switch 2 arrives the ps5 will be at least 4y old. The switch 2 has to have a lifespan of 7years starting from 2025.

With these specs will it still be strong enough after 3 years.
Knowing there will be a ps5 pro and Xbox series x pro and who knows a handheld from Sony and Xbox.

I don't know the details based on the specs but I read downscaled ps5 games and worries me.

By looking at the manufacturer I think it will be the base LPDDR5, because they have already a line for 12GB Ram, while for the X variant the minimum is 16GB.
Am I wrong or we had some more clear informations than hours ago?
7500MT/s is uniquely LPDDR5X, whether it says LPDDR5 or not, it is LPDDR5X

Well, now I have my theory set: they"LL continue to sell switch1 and switch2 will be Back to LCD, since I don't see 12GB, 256Gb, seemingly 2 fans and magnets for a comfortable <400 price from Nintendo.

4-450€ is where I see it happening, and that means at least for the first year they need to keep selling switches.

Two fans?
I'm missing something?

When switch 2 arrives the ps5 will be at least 4y old. The switch 2 has to have a lifespan of 7years starting from 2025.

Knowing there will be a ps5 pro and Xbox series x pro and who knows a handheld from Sony and Xbox.

I don't know the details based on the specs but I read downscaled ps5 games and worries me.

If anything a ps handheld should help it.

Pros won't matter, because they aren't getting exclusive software.

It should do better than the switch imo, but you definitely shouldn't expect it to get every game.

The DS and 3DS both had magnets to clap the clamshell shut, it was a magnetic sensor that told the system whether it was in an open or closed position.
Also folding phones, iPhones (and MacBooks) with MagSafe charging, probably most convertible laptops. Magnets are really not a huge deal these days.

2-3 years ago I'm completely on your side. By now? Push for higher fidelity has slowed down, steam deck and handheld pcs are up, I honestly think that the "keep up" graphically won't matter that much, the question is how the CPUs compare and if that difference is a problem.

Ps5 is 4 years old, but I have heard more regrets then "I need to have one" since the pace of exclusives is rather slow.
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Sorry, corrected mine to hide it

We need the chip process confirmation. Will it show up in the customs data? For example, confirm that it is made by TSMC

Can someone make a big summary of everything?
Forum predictions were exactly right or even better, 12gb RAM LPDDR5X (120gb/s bandwidth, higher than the predicted 102.4gb/s) 256gb of internal storage, usf3.1, as well as a large number of "magnets" found.

Does all this new information imply anything about an announcement month?
Because if I'm getting this right, it seems they're getting all the pieces ready for manufacturing?

Does all this new information imply anything about an announcement month?
Because if I'm getting this right, it seems they're getting all the pieces ready for manufacturing?

No, announcement we learned more from Nintendo itself this week to manage expectations. Expect September/October.
But expect more leaks earlier now.

What we are now looking at for Switch 2 with confidence:

T239-based hybrid (node and therefore max performance still unknown), 8" 1080p LCD, overall maybe 20% larger, similar size to ROG Ally, 12 GB RAM, 265 GB internal memory, Joycons connect via magnets, probably two more buttons + one functional button + microphone as additional inputs. Fuly backwards compatible.

Switch 2 specs sound awesome. I cannot wait to get it^^
With the current situation in mind, about rising costs for big games, i'm sure Nintendo is well equipped for the coming years.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom