• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

it's ironic given my joke about the five stages of grief but at this point I outright do not believe in a cancellation or major delay

if Nintendo "shelved" anything that was as far along as was alleged we'd have heard it from a major publication first

Regarding insiders, they don't owe us anything and we are under no obligation to buy what they're saying either. Use your own brain to come to your own conclusion. Verification is not the answer, hostility is never the answer, if you don't buy it just ignore it.

Usually when I read something someone claims to know I file it away in my brain as a rumor, maybe real maybe fake, with a likelihood of being true (note: true does not mean accurate) based on that person's track record.

Yes and no. Almost every member here acknowledges they are just speculating and do not have any more info than anyone else, except a few. If your going to present certain info not as pure speculation but inside information, you open yourself up to scrutiny. There seem to be a few members that others look to in order to confirm or corroborate information or rumors. If these people are legit, great, but its only really of any value if they are willing to be transparent with what they know. There are people out there that enjoy toying with other people leading them along, and the pursuit of exposing these people as frauds isn't being hostile, its being vigilant. Everyone here is hopeful that we have some members here that can provide some inside info, but its worse to play along with people who are playing pretend and are wrong just as much as they are right. Any of us could present some logical speculation as fact and turn out to be right half the time.

Yes and no. Almost every member here acknowledges they are just speculating and do not have any more info than anyone else, except a few. If your going to present certain info not as pure speculation but inside information, you open yourself up to scrutiny. There seem to be a few members that others look to in order to confirm or corroborate information or rumors. If these people are legit, great, but its only really of any value if they are willing to be transparent with what they know. There are people out there that enjoy toying with other people leading them along, and the pursuit of exposing these people as frauds isn't being hostile, its being vigilant. Everyone here is hopeful that we have some members here that can provide some inside info, but its worse to play along with people who are playing pretend and are wrong just as much as they are right. Any of us could present some logical speculation as fact and turn out to be right half the time.
I'll agree that if someone with no known track record is constantly (like, multiple times a day) chiming in with stuff like "my source says the same thing" without ever being prompted then that's something that can be actioned. But I personally don't agree with publicly calling them out, especially en masse. Setting them on ignore or reporting them for spam is the appropriate response.

I’m guessing now that Fortnite on Drake will probably end up with settings similar to Series S, but half the frame rate and a lower res. Software Lumen will probably run rather nicely on Drake.

Some things to keep in mind here is that they’re running Fortnite through windows, which eats up some performance, and are forced to use the more intensive Hardware Lumen. I imagine a lot more performance could be squeezed out in a Drake optimized port. 360p DLSS upscaled to 720p at 30fps in handheld and 720p DLSS upscaled to 1440p at 30fps seem like they’d probably very doable on Drake, then they could also have a non Lumen, non Nanite performance mode at 60fps and higher internal resolutions (maybe even a DLSS output of 4k in docked.) I just wish we knew the speed of the storage in DF’s Steam Deck.
This in combination with their Metro ray tracing deck video make me very interested to see what kind of RT stuff devs pull off on Drake.

I've seen much more talk about Nate from people complaining about him not being moderated than I've seen from people who "take his posts as gospel" or anything.

Ding ding ding.

The people mad about insiders aren’t mad because they believe them, because they don’t. They’re mad because they’re Very Concerned other people will believe them for “undue” reasons and will, idunno, get their feelings hurt if they’re led astray by wrong intel or something. But, like, we’re all reasonably intelligent, tuned-in people here. We’re pretty much all adults. We’re all capable of weighing the evidence and posters’ track records and how likely a claim feels based on how much it lines up with what else we “know.”

Nobody is just accepting every word every insider says as 100% verified truth in these threads, so I don’t really understand the concern. And if someone just doesn’t like people talking about insider claims, then maybe a thread that’s all about speculating and reading the tea leaves regarding future hardware isn’t for them. They can just wait until Nintendo announces it if they want.

Ding ding ding.

The people mad about insiders aren’t mad because they believe them, because they don’t. They’re mad because they’re Very Concerned other people will believe them for “undue” reasons and will, idunno, get their feelings hurt if they’re led astray by wrong intel or something. But, like, we’re all reasonably intelligent, tuned-in people here. We’re pretty much all adults. We’re all capable of weighing the evidence and posters’ track records and how likely a claim feels based on how much it lines up with what else we “know.”

Nobody is just accepting every word every insider says as 100% verified truth in these threads, so I don’t really understand the concern. And if someone just doesn’t like people talking about insider claims, then maybe a thread that’s all about speculating and reading the tea leaves regarding future hardware isn’t for them. They can just wait until Nintendo announces it if they want.
There is a large part of this thread dedicated to things like the Nvidia leak, analysis of Nintendo's past statements and financials, statements of trusted reporters from Japan regarding devkits being sent out etc. All of that is useful, enjoyable speculation. And we have a bunch of great posters in here who make these complicated things easy to understand for the lay person like myself.

It shouldn't be hard to understand that there's a contingent of us who are here for that stuff, but not unverifiable or opaque leakers. This thread was aflame for a week deciphering what Nate did or didn't say or mean. Ignoring that would mean simply ignoring the thread, and like I said, the thread is pretty damn good. It's the biggest thread on this forum for a reason.

Painting it as simply "you either like speculation or you don't" is facile.

Ding ding ding.

Personally, I'm not that confused. I inferred pretty quickly what I think actually happened. I'm just annoyed that 70+ pages of nonsense and confusion was generated from a handful of contradictory statements, and all of it could have been avoided with a quick and simple "I misspoke/was confused, what I meant was this." It makes it incredibly difficult to have actual, useful discussion.

Is it a big deal? Of course not. It's a Nintendo speculation thread. But neither is just admitting error instead of deleting one's posts and leaving for a week.

Edit: Pretty much what @Heron just said.

There is a large part of this thread dedicated to things like the Nvidia leak, analysis of Nintendo's past statements and financials, statements of trusted reporters from Japan regarding devkits being sent out etc. All of that is useful, enjoyable speculation. And we have a bunch of great posters in here who make these complicated things easy to understand for the lay person like myself.

It shouldn't be hard to understand that there's a contingent of us who are here for that stuff, but not unverifiable or opaque leakers. This thread was aflame for a week deciphering what Nate did or didn't say or mean. Ignoring that would mean simply ignoring the thread, and like I said, the thread is pretty damn good. It's the biggest thread on this forum for a reason.

Most of us moved on and decided to ignore that piece of information, or at least wait until/if there's clarification within a day or two. Since then it's been mostly fine, outside of a few people asking him what he meant or when his podcast will be up and complaining about him and other insiders.

The reason this was a big change to the thread (at least for a day or two) is because the individual does have a pretty good track record, so those of us who scrutinize the rumors in light of that track record are trying to figure out what it could mean, but once most of us decided it was too confusing to really mean anything concrete at the moment we put it on hold.

Lucky for us we have a couple of opportunities for some new credible information to come out in the not so distant future. The February Nintendo Direct is all but certain as history has shown us and the also the upcoming financials report. If the Nintendo Direct comes and goes and we still have no new hardware announcement, it says a lot by not saying anything, no Switch 2 in first half of 2023. The investors are going to start having more questions about the future roadmap for hardware, so there is a good chance we will see Nintendo forced into fielding more and more questions about the successor for Switch. If we get nothing before or at the next Nintendo Direct, I assume they will remain tight lipped until after Zelda TotK launches, even if holiday 2023 is the target release date for Switch 2. Could be an E3 announcement if that were the case.

Not Switch 2 related, but I feel like the next direct could see Goldeneye stealth drop that day. People have been waiting for so long and that would be a good way to reignite interests in Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pak.

I’m guessing now that Fortnite on Drake will probably end up with settings similar to Series S, but half the frame rate and a lower res. Software Lumen will probably run rather nicely on Drake.

Some things to keep in mind here is that they’re running Fortnite through windows, which eats up some performance, and are forced to use the more intensive Hardware Lumen. I imagine a lot more performance could be squeezed out in a Drake optimized port. 360p DLSS upscaled to 720p at 30fps in handheld and 720p DLSS upscaled to 1440p at 30fps seem like they’d probably very doable on Drake, then they could also have a non Lumen, non Nanite performance mode at 60fps and higher internal resolutions (maybe even a DLSS output of 4k in docked.) I just wish we knew the speed of the storage in DF’s Steam Deck.
This in combination with their Metro ray tracing deck video make me very interested to see what kind of RT stuff devs pull off on Drake.

it's a shame that software lumen is borked. I wanted to see what the gains are on the low end. on high end hardware, the difference in performance is minimal, but you also have resources to spare. in any case, it bodes well for RT in UE5 on drake should you account for it. if Epic makes lumen settings more open to the end user, we might see more optimizations

After the NVN2 leak he had tweeted which details he got right and which wrong, and one of the wrong ones was "half of Orin/1024 cores" which would equate to 8SM.

Ah, yeah, good memory there.

That's fair, yeah. I guess the dates could be misleading, but I feel like we'd surely have some vestigial references to another chip, right? They couldn't have so meticulously gone through code that was never going to be made public to scrub references to a chip they had been using for years, right?

I agree it would explain things, I'm just kinda having trouble reconciling it with the complete and utter lack of evidence of another chip in the files. But maybe I'm too hung up on that.
To be clear, I was trying to paint a picture, and I thought using dane/drake names to mean "different eras of t239's design" would be clearer, but in retrospect it wasn't. I'm really just talking about T239 having a rethink that occurred after devkits shipped, which I see as possible given the way the last 3 years have gone. Devs get one picture of the device from their initial impressions (a midgen style refresh) then get briefed last year on a major delay and a marketing plan that paints a totally different picture (next gen).

so hear me out here. If you have have an issue with what Nate says or doesn't say, Ignore. Him. You can also ignore the portion where others are talking about it. Its really not that hard

Please refrain from sweeping, inflammatory hostility towards the community. -Derachi, Irene, Harina
At this point I’d actually chuckle if Nate just said “fuck y’all” and never recorded the podcast in question or talked about a new Switch again. Jesus fuck some people are ungrateful little worms. If you don’t believe him… ignore him. Same goes for me.

Ah, yeah, good memory there.

To be clear, I was trying to paint a picture, and I thought using dane/drake names to mean "different eras of t239's design" would be clearer, but in retrospect it wasn't. I'm really just talking about T239 having a rethink that occurred after devkits shipped, which I see as possible given the way the last 3 years have gone. Devs get one picture of the device from their initial impressions (a midgen style refresh) then get briefed last year on a major delay and a marketing plan that paints a totally different picture (next gen).
Ah yeah that makes much more sense. I'm still unsure about the idea that a die shrink could've occurred, since usually the chip would then get a new name. But I guess we don't know what typically goes on internally with their chip names before they're ever made public.

Either way I would think the information you shared about the PCI-e testing in April is still accurate to the chip they finally did decide on, so I wouldn't think this scenario (if true) changes the timeline from what we're currently thinking. But yeah it can definitely explain the differing stories told to developers in 2020/2021 versus now.

At this point I’d actually chuckle if Nate just said “fuck y’all” and never recorded the podcast in question or talked about a new Switch again. Jesus fuck some people are ungrateful little worms. If you don’t believe him… ignore him. Same goes for me.
in general I agree, but ungrateful??? what exactly should this thread be grateful for? thinking the switch pro would come in 2021, thinking it would come in 2022, or thinking it would come in the first half of 2023?

I very much believe in not assuming people's intentions, not demanding reliable facts, and not harassing or chastising people for changed plans or missed communication, but the other end of the pendulum on which we should be grateful for our rumors that are increasingly detached from what actually comes to market is almost as ridiculous.

people are rude, people are cringe, and I'll even concede that I'm guilty if both. but "ungrateful little worms" is just way over the top lmfao

Hi guys,

Decided to join the boards for the eventual road to a Switch successor.

I'm a bit out of the loop tho, what's currently expected in terms of specs, design and announcement?

Thanks in advance.

You need a chill pill 😭

Guys... It is not easy to ignore the posts of a user thar, together with the related replies of those who follow him, make up 60% of the thread...
What does "follow him" mean?

Most of the posts about Nate over the past few days have been by people complaining about him, not anything else.

Hi guys,

I'm a bit out of the loop tho, what's currently expected in terms of specs, design and announcement?

Thanks in advance.
Same size and shape as existing Switch

Likely a new kickstand design as the OLED Model required extensive internal shrinkage.

Could use existing OLED Model Dock and AC Adaptor.

12SM Orin-based processor means it's at least 1TF performance wise in handheld mode, going up from there for TV mode, plus DLSS and RT capabilities. Probably PS4 to PS4 Pro in terms of raw performance before DLSS. I'd say think Series S with higher resolutions but with longer loading times, cut back effects, etc.

This chip has had Linux support being built for it for months so we're pretty sure it exists in some form. Factory leaker claims manufacturing for Nintendo has ramped up out of nowhere. If Nvidia has had working samples since April, device assembly beginning now makes sense.

No idea when it'll be announced, I think soon, others think next year.

Gonna seperate my personal thoughts into another post.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.
Specs: "PS4 Pro like" + DLSS and modern effects (i. e. ray tracing)

Design: Switch like

Announcement: this year

Likely a new kickstand design as the OLED Model required extensive internal shrinkage.

12SM Orin-based processor means it's at least 1TF performance wise in handheld mode, going up from there for TV mode, plus DLSS and RT capabilities. Probably PS4 to PS4 Pro in terms of raw performance before DLSS. I'd say think Series S with higher resolutions but with longer loading times, cut back effects, etc.

This chip has had Linux support being built for it for months so we're pretty sure it exists in some form. Factory leaker claims manufacturing for Nintendo has ramped up out of nowhere. If Nvidia has had working samples since April, device assembly beginning now makes sense.

Thanks for explaining.

That sounds too visually similar to current Switch for being a successor, I hope marketing wise they make it clear this is something else or we might get Wii U 2. Sure, the gaming environment is different from 2011 but I hope they go all out with this stuff.

Nobody said anything against Nate from our usual community. We know Nate for very long now, its just the emotions of some cooking over about something where neither Nate nor we can change anything - he just provides us with infos ACCORDING to his sources. Of course he cant be 100% spot on, and maybe he is 0% on certain aspects of Nintendo, but this has nothing to do with his credibility, even DF, Jeff Grubb, EVEN Bloomberg are struggling with Nintendo to predict something correct if at all. People just have continue to be kind, even if he brings us bad news, its not his fault after all that Nintendo is such a weird company.

And ofc nothing against you, we are grateful for your info, but IF its the case that you are just trolling us it would be absolutely ridicilous at this point for all of us, wouldnt it?

What do you think this leaker mean when they say “ramped up”
What exactly is being ramped up??

Thanks for explaining.

That sounds too visually similar to current Switch for being a successor, I hope marketing wise they make it clear this is something else or we might get Wii U 2. Sure, the gaming environment is different from 2011 but I hope they go all out with this stuff.
not much you can do to a tablet that makes it so radically different

I meant: those who rely on him for information
Nobody "relies" on him for information. People treat his info as rumors, which is what they are.
Thanks for explaining.

We don't really know anything about the form factor. We are making a ton of assumptions that it will be similar to the base Switch since they'll likely want to retain joycon compatibility, and possibly reuse the dock that came with the OLED model. But we have no concrete information on that aspect.

Thanks for explaining.

A new kickstand shape and colour scheme is more than enough. 3DS survived.

in general I agree, but ungrateful??? what exactly should this thread be grateful for? thinking the switch pro would come in 2021, thinking it would come in 2022, or thinking it would come in the first half of 2023?

I very much believe in not assuming people's intentions, not demanding reliable facts, and not harassing or chastising people for changed plans or missed communication, but the other end of the pendulum on which we should be grateful for our rumors that are increasingly detached from what actually comes to market is almost as ridiculous.

people are rude, people are cringe, and I'll even concede that I'm guilty if both. but "ungrateful little worms" is just way over the top lmfao

After all the rumors I've shared? You would dare challenge me? You ungrateful little WORMS! - A Supervillain

Scientists need to study the effects of video game message board drama on the brain. It's too late for me, but maybe there's a cure out there for somebody else.

What do you think this leaker mean when they say “ramped up”
What exactly is being ramped up??
Assembly of Nintendo consoles.
Switch sales are slowly trending down with January an especially slow period for assembly. Yet a factory worker has claimed the factory has gone into overdrive (to paraphrase them). If they're being honest (we have reason to believe they are reliable due to previous OLED special editions they leaked), that would strongly imply the new device is in final assembly.

I repeat, if it’s for the next Fiscal Year, we should hear an announcement soon.

Next Fiscal Year ends March 31, 2024

Here are my general thoughts on it at the moment, including announcement:

Announcement is probably incredibly soon. It's difficult to avoid extensive leaks when in full scale assembly, and assembling any later than this month means sitting on finished silicon for upwards of a year, which is expensive and a huge opportunity cost. Formfactor is probably nearly identical to OLED Model with the kickstand hinges moved to the top of the device to allow for more internal space, and a long, wraparound style kickstand with intakes at top and bottom of the kickstand indent on the bottom end of the device. Faster Game Card loading for supported games. 128-256GB UFS storage. Possibly UFS card, seems likely what with Orin boards using them. UFS card slot under kickstand. Black Joy-Con. No other visual changes; even the same logo on the back of the console, with "Super Nintendo Switch" reserved for the box and marketing. Black Dock with LAN Port to differentiate it from the white dock of OLED Model. Crimson and black colour scheme for marketing, otherwise using standard Switch colours. I expect it to launch pretty much imminently. Like, Switch final assembly began November 2016, launched early March. This thing might be in assembly right now (why else would Zelda OLEDs be ready so ahead of time), so, late April to early May launch. Elden Ring, TOTK, Pikmin 4 launch window games with 4K patches for most of Nintendo's popular evergreen titles.

Nobody "relies" on him for information. People treat his info as rumors, which is what they are.

We don't really know anything about the form factor. We are making a ton of assumptions that it will be similar to the base Switch since they'll likely want to retain joycon compatibility, and possibly reuse the dock that came with the OLED model. But we have no concrete information on that aspect.
It's a tablet with a kickstand and Joy-Con rails. It cannot possibly change its form factor, but if I'm wrong on that I'll at least be excited to try a new Nintendo formfactor for the first time in over a decade.

Here are my general thoughts on it at the moment, including announcement:

Announcement is probably incredibly soon. It's difficult to avoid extensive leaks when in full scale assembly, and assembling any later than this month means sitting on finished silicon for upwards of a year, which is expensive and a huge opportunity cost. Formfactor is probably nearly identical to OLED Model with the kickstand hinges moved to the top of the device to allow for more internal space, and a long, wraparound style kickstand with intakes at top and bottom of the kickstand indent on the bottom end of the device. Faster Game Card loading for supported games. 128-256GB UFS storage. Possibly UFS card, seems likely what with Orin boards using them. UFS card slot under kickstand. Black Joy-Con. No other visual changes; even the same logo on the back of the console, with "Super Nintendo Switch" reserved for the box and marketing. Black Dock with LAN Port to differentiate it from the white dock of OLED Model. Crimson and black colour scheme for marketing, otherwise using standard Switch colours. I expect it to launch pretty much imminently. Like, Switch final assembly began November 2016, launched early March. This thing might be in assembly right now (why else would Zelda OLEDs be ready so ahead of time), so, late April to early May launch. Elden Ring, TOTK, Pikmin 4 launch window games with 4K patches for most of Nintendo's popular evergreen titles.
Elden Ring on a nintendo console? That would be interesting.

I think storage may be a big issue for Switch 2. We do need cartridge slot with backwards compatibility with Switch 1 so I assume Switch 2 will use the same cartridge slot for Switch 2 games. The problem is based on leaked information the Switch 2 will be PS4 and Xbox One level power. This was the first generation where both Microsoft and Sony had high capacity Blu Ray drives, the generation before was Sony and 360 was DVD which was the baseline. If the baseline is no Blu Ray, the average size of a game is 50GB to 200GB. How on earth will it be affordable to have e 50GB cartridges.

There are a few options which I will list

1. Offer 50GB cartridges and publishers pass on cost to consumers or eat costs.

2. Use smaller cartridge size and have mandatory online download, we have a few games that do this now on Switch 1, but with Switch 2 if this was the case it would have to happen on 80 percent of the games that release which is excessive. This wouldn't be great for markets that don't have access to decent internet of have limited data caps.

3. Developers need to utilize smaller capacity and design games around that. That would be ashame as then games will be constrained by storage capacity this was an issue for many 3rd party games on GameCube, it would just be worse now.

4. Switch 2 has larger internal capacity (500GB minimum). All games come in smaller capacity cartridges but need to be installed to the internal drive similar to PS5 and Xbox One. The games are highly compressed and get decompressed during installation (e.g similar to 7zip, Winrar etc). Anyone with a bit more knowledge who can answer if this is feasible? The main negative here would be higher costs of the Switch due to needing higher internal capacity.

I think storage may be a big issue for Switch 2. We do need cartridge slot with backwards compatibility with Switch 1 so I assume Switch 2 will use the same cartridge slot for Switch 2 games. The problem is based on leaked information the Switch 2 will be PS4 and Xbox One level power. This was the first generation where both Microsoft and Sony had high capacity Blu Ray drives, the generation before was Sony and 360 was DVD which was the baseline. If the baseline is no Blu Ray, the average size of a game is 50GB to 200GB. How on earth will it be affordable to have e 50GB cartridges.

There are a few options which I will list

1. Offer 50GB cartridges and publishers pass on cost to consumers or eat costs.

2. Use smaller cartridge size and have mandatory online download, we have a few games that do this now on Switch 1, but with Switch 2 if this was the case it would have to happen on 80 percent of the games that release which is excessive. This wouldn't be great for markets that don't have access to decent internet of have limited data caps.

3. Developers need to utilize smaller capacity and design games around that. That would be ashame as then games will be constrained by storage capacity this was an issue for many 3rd party games on GameCube, it would just be worse now.

4. Switch 2 has larger internal capacity (500GB minimum). All games come in smaller capacity cartridges but need to be installed to the internal drive similar to PS5 and Xbox One. The games are highly compressed and get decompressed during installation (e.g similar to 7zip, Winrar etc). Anyone with a bit more knowledge who can answer if this is feasible? The main negative here would be higher costs of the Switch due to needing higher internal capacity.
64GB game cards are already possible on Switch, and thankfully Drake has a File Decompression Engine that should be able to decompress game data on the fly so install sizes should hopefully stay low. Fingers crossed.

Funny, I would also prefer this.

"Ungrateful". Laughing my fucking ass off.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom