• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Is it plausible to think that the deleted (pre-Drake) version also had DLSS, perhaps in a more primitive form, or does the lack of evidence in the Nvidia documents prove beyond doubt that Drake is the only completed chip?

In practice, does Nvidia delete the discarded prototypes from the internal documents or not?

p. s. what a strange way to spend New Year's Eve
there's not really a "primitive" version of DLSS as it's an ever evolving algorithm, not bound by hardware. but there's only 3 generations of hardware that has hardware acceleration for DLSS, conveniently, one is a Tegra. not conveniently, it's old as shit. there was no Turing tegra, so that's out. and Drake/Orin is what we're at now.

simply put, there's no point in time where one could have existed. maybe you could say there was a simulated product (as chips are simulated very early in the design process), but if it didn't make it past simulation phase, then it pretty much doesn't exist

there's not really a "primitive" version of DLSS as it's an ever evolving algorithm, not bound by hardware. but there's only 3 generations of hardware that has hardware acceleration for DLSS, conveniently, one is a Tegra. not conveniently, it's old as shit. there was no Turing tegra, so that's out. and Drake/Orin is what we're at now.

simply put, there's no point in time where one could have existed. maybe you could say there was a simulated product (as chips are simulated very early in the design process), but if it didn't make it past simulation phase, then it pretty much doesn't exist
It's probably possible that the "original" nano next was undergoing testing (simulated) for Nintendo. But there's no evidence of that, yeah.

His track record was not the main point of my post. It's more about his communication style. He drops enough information to get people excited but doesn't go into enough details to avoid overexcitment.

I suppose this can be explained by two things: first, he probably is too much of a public figure now and he can't reasonably disclose more information without aggravating people in the industry, and second, it is good for engagement (in a somehow creepy way).

What...you don't like being teased by someone using an avatar of a video game character? I thought everybody here would be in to that.

Also, I'll take that as a +1 for my theory that Nate was SyluxHunter lol

So, the consensus seems to be that Switch T239 was cancelled and thus we know nothing about a possible successor?
Uh, no. The consensus is the exact opposite, T239 could not have been cancelled and will be used in whatever they release within the next couple years.

Is it plausible to think that the deleted (pre-Drake) version also had DLSS, perhaps in a more primitive form, or does the lack of evidence in the Nvidia documents prove beyond doubt that Drake is the only completed chip?

In practice, does Nvidia delete the discarded prototypes from the internal documents or not?

I'm checking this between working on the carrot cake and roast duck for the family dinner tommorow, hahaha.

I will admit I wasted my St. Stephen's Day/Boxing day here.

What are the odds of Nvidia showing the Metroid Prime remaster with dlss and raytracing running on t239 on CES 2023? 😃

The reddit guy only leaks things that are about to happen.
Low but never 0

There is a possibility we get a direct and an announcement next week announcing the Drake Switch conveniently just before CES so Nvidia can talk about how awesome their gaming focussed chip is.

What are the odds of Nvidia showing the Metroid Prime remaster with dlss and raytracing running on t239 on CES 2023? 😃

The reddit guy only leaks things that are about to happen.
Pretty low I'd say. They're not going to show anything Nintendo on new hardware before the new hardware is announced. And if it's being announced within a week SURELY somebody would have heard rumblings of that.

So like, 0.002% chance?

If the device is really entering production in January, we should hear more about it hopefully starting next week.
To clarify I'm pretty sure nobody claimed it's entering production in January. Just that Nintendo production lines in general are ramping up unusually soon and heavily, or something to that effect.

Bragging about piracy is not ok. You are being given a one week ban -Josh5890, Irene, PixelKnight
Usually I’m not the one to believe whatever Nintendo says, but, due to the last events, I looked back at what Furukawa said in February 2022: „Switch is just in the middle of its lifecycle”.
In a month we are gonna be in February 2023 which, since 2022 was middle (5 years old) could still be called middle. Therefore, if Drake was planned for H1 2023 it would be indeed a mid-gen refresh, which according to DF and Nate was cancelled.
Taking into considiration both statements, I’m not even sure about 2024 year being the one. Or, the info Nate has isn’t accurate 100% which he never claimed to be mind you, and the next console isn’t gonna be a new generation, but rather long awaited improved mid-gen refresh, since in 2024 switch is gonna be 7 years old, and if 5-6 years was the middle, then it can’t be a whole new generation.
Overall, my understaning is: nothing new in 2023, if Nintendo has learned anything from their journey then 2024, if not, I just buy Steam Deck 2 and pirate nintendo stuff (I’m not playing masterpieces like Xeno in 480p 20-30fps)

I actually think the new device is called Switch 2 (2nd Generation) and is next-gen. Switch 1 will be slowly phased out over the next couple of years.

Mine is fine, except the joy cons. Console is constantly losing contact for a few seconds, it makes most games unplayable in handheld mode. I already sent them for repair 2 years ago because they drifted like crazy.

It sucks having to buy 2 New joy cons, shits are expensive, maybe I should just upgrade to Oled. What's stoping me was the hope to see a new model soon.
I just stock up on analog replacements. They're fairly cheap in price (when bought in bulk) and can be installed within minutes.

I see, in fact a simulated project discarded in the early stages makes sense.
A 'Turing-tegra' designed and then discarded would have been a waste of money.

I'm checking this between working on the carrot cake and roast duck for the family dinner tommorow, hahaha.

I will admit I wasted my St. Stephen's Day/Boxing day here.
It means we care a lot! 🥲

Overall, my understaning is: nothing new in 2023, if Nintendo has learned anything from their journey then 2024, if not, I just buy Steam Deck 2 and pirate nintendo stuff (I’m not playing masterpieces like Xeno in 480p 20-30fps)
If Xeno 4 were on Switch it'd probably be using temporal upsampling like Xeno 3, so 800p downsampled handheld mode and 1080p docked. Poor Monolith Soft, they ain't getting any credit out in these parts. 😓

I had to replace 2 Sl-Sr boards on my joycons. And I have a third one that is broken. Just waiting for the part to arrive for replacement.

Hoping for a better build quality JoyCon on the sucessor.

Usually I’m not the one to believe whatever Nintendo says, but, due to the last events, I looked back at what Furukawa said in February 2022: „Switch is just in the middle of its lifecycle”.
In a month we are gonna be in February 2023 which, since 2022 was middle (5 years old) could still be called middle. Therefore, if Drake was planned for H1 2023 it would be indeed a mid-gen refresh, which according to DF and Nate was cancelled.
Taking into considiration both statements, I’m not even sure about 2024 year being the one. Or, the info Nate has isn’t accurate 100% which he never claimed to be mind you, and the next console isn’t gonna be a new generation, but rather long awaited improved mid-gen refresh, since in 2024 switch is gonna be 7 years old, and if 5-6 years was the middle, then it can’t be a whole new generation.
3DS was in the middle of its life cycle in 2015-2016, Switch came out in 2017.

3DS was in the middle of its life cycle in 2015-2016, Switch came out in 2017.
I will second this, despite Nintendo having all the facts surrounding their decisions and plans they are the last people you want to trust regarding those plans. They are about as transparent as concrete.

I’m not sure what people are expecting from a Steam Deck so soon lol

Console lifecycles are about product support, which have nothing to do with other platforms. Switch having a 10-year lifecycle means just that, having 10 years of support. They can release the successor to Switch next year, and still support the Switch for years before finally putting it to rest. 3DS continued to get support years into the Switch's lifecycle, having its own mid-gen refresh in the form of the New 3DS, and n/3DS and Switch are definitely in different generations.

Is it by volume or price? If it's just more money I could see it being the product of some rate contracts running out and inflation finally catching up to them.

Sometimes I daydream about Nintendo enabling a boost mode for Mariko models. Maybe just the OLED if its housing / dock is better suited for the increased temps and wattage. When watching these vids of overclocked Mariko the overclock appears to be safe - which makes sense if they were at one point the original upgraded clocks for a mid-gen refresh.

(emphasis on 'daydream', I know they wouldn't)

Still teetering on the edge of buying the Zelda OLED. If Switch 2 ends up coming out Holiday 2023, well, I would be annoyed. And it wouldn't be the first time this timing happened between an SE and a new console.

Sometimes I daydream about Nintendo enabling a boost mode for Mariko models. Maybe just the OLED if its housing / dock is better suited for the increased temps and wattage. When watching these vids of overclocked Mariko the overclock appears to be safe - which makes sense if they were at one point the original upgraded clocks for a mid-gen refresh.

Still teetering on the edge of buying the Zelda OLED. If Switch 2 ends up coming out Holiday 2023, well, I would be annoyed. And it wouldn't be the first time this timing happened between an SE and a new console.
Same. Im going to play Zelda mostly in handheld mode, and with no Drake in sight the Oled is tempting.

A bit beside the point, but who is ZOLED?
It’s me, I’m ZOLED.
“This is going to sound like I’m pirating. And that’s because I am. I prefer to be upfront about that.”

I do not see how Nintendo consistently admitted in interviews that the long span of the Wii was a mistake then release Switch 2 in 2024 where we likely hear first details (if not release) of PS5 pro / XSX pro. Also we have Furukawa talking smack about releasing cutting edge technology as well. Damnit, Love the games they make but their decision making is utterly trash. Can't do online multiplayer right either. The one time they have a wonderful hardware idea, They let it rot in the sun too long. Being a fan of nintendo is ultimately punishing.

I do not see how Nintendo consistently admitted in interviews that the long span of the Wii was a mistake then release Switch 2 in 2024 where we likely hear first details (if not release) of PS5 pro / XSX pro. Also we have Furukawa talking smack about releasing cutting edge technology as well. Damnit, Love the games they make but their decision making is utterly trash. Can't do online multiplayer right either. The one time they have a wonderful hardware idea, They let it rot in the sun too long. Being a fan of nintendo is ultimately punishing.
Totally agree. They can only shoot
themselves in the foot so many times.

People on here REALLY overestimate the need for new hardware. Nintendo is doing fine. The Switch 2 isn't going to bomb because Nintendo waited an extra year to release it. Ugh.

In my mind, they won't do it because even though they know it helps a lot of games reach a stable 30/60 (eg: wolfenstein, that one MHA fighting game, SMT V, etc...) there are also plenty of examples where it doesn't solve the issue entirely.
But if I had an OLED with a modchip, you can be sure I would run it at 1785MHz on the CPU and 921MHz on the GPU all the time I had it docked.

It was a mistranslation that people continue to reference I believe. He was just saying they always look at all available technologies. Which is a nothing statement of course.
Word. Though, all the articles and tweets about Furukawa's session frame it as "Nintendo R&D is looking at cutting-edge tech", so I'm unsure how someone could've got 'talking smack about'. Then again, there was that interview about BC being easier than ever and Nintendo focusing on the future, yet people read it as confirmation of no BC somehow...

Console lifecycles are about product support, which have nothing to do with other platforms. Switch having a 10-year lifecycle means just that, having 10 years of support. They can release the successor to Switch next year, and still support the Switch for years before finally putting it to rest. 3DS continued to get support years into the Switch's lifecycle, having its own mid-gen refresh in the form of the New 3DS, and n/3DS and Switch are definitely in different generations.
This. 10 year support vague. at least at the bare minimum, the eShop and online servers will be running for 10 years. No guarantee of new games or OS updates for full 10 years.

Last edited:

If they ever made serious progress on another chip, the lack of evidence is very odd. It's not 100% proof it didn't happen, but you'd expect more evidence.

I've been lurking here for awhile, but what I don't get with the Holiday 2024 Switch launch is A) Wouldn't launching a new system 7.5 years after its predecessor be unusual even by console standards? B) If people expect 2023 to be a DLC/remasters-heavy year, how is Nintendo going to keep their audience engaged for 10+ months in 2024? C) Why exactly do people think that a console sales momentum (a very unpredictable factor) has any bearing on the launch timing on next gen when hardware is planned and developed for years?

Last edited:
I am the divergent of the forum, but I wish you all a prosperous year 2023!

I would like you to share: What do you expect in terms of Hardware and Software this 2023?

Hardware: New haptic controller from Nintendo.

Software: New exclusive Nintendo game from Hironobu Sakaguchi.

That reminds me; since my guess for the next significant APU config would be something on N5 (so maybe Zen 4/RDNA3), it's really hard to project right now since so far RDNA3's in chiplet form :unsure:
Gotta remember to check out how the inevitable monolithic versions work out, considering the current wonky power issues.

Recently I find myself daydreaming about a completely alternate timeline. Copying from my post here:
"I'm getting off track here, but there's another What If that I've been thinking about.
What If: TSMC's 10FF node wasn't retired so quickly?
Referencing this post; there may have been plans for consumer Volta GPUs on 10FF. As we know now, consumer Volta never happened, and we got Turing on 16/12 instead.
But in a different timeline where 10FF is still running for a few more years at least, we may have gotten consumer Volta instead of Turing in late 2018. Which means proof of capacity secured by Nvidia. Which means that while a clocked up Mariko on 16FF may not have quite met requirements, maybe a 10FF Mariko could've. Maybe we could've gotten the clocked up Mariko pro. Or maybe even a tweaked Mariko pro (expand from 2 SMs to 4 in order to not need push clocks as much?) given the density improvements."

Imagine shrinking TX1 straight from 20nm to 10FF for a 2019 launch 😲
Maintaining the clocks in those DVFS tables and decent battery life at the same time should be doable on that node. Or they could've gone bolder. I see it now. Double the SMs to 4; maybe push the clock up a bit or not (targeting 2x to 2.67x times GPU power). 128-bit LPDDR4X, but at anywhere from regular LPDDR4 to full LPDDR4X speeds (so 2x to 2.67x bandwidth). Unfortunately, A57's probably shouldn't be pushed past 2 ghz (so only 2x CPU strength; kind of a bummer when it's one of the known weaknesses). Or, maybe swap out for something like A73's for a perf bump and rather substantial power efficiency improvement? Or would that complicate things too much for a New/Pro style release meant to last until T239's a go?

What other gimmicks would make sense for new Nintendo hardware?
I want old gimmicks back. Give me back IR for IR aiming.

An improvement in VR.

Maybe they will give us GeForce Now cloud gaming lol.

I am the divergent of the forum, but I wish you all a prosperous year 2023!

I would like you to share: What do you expect in terms of Hardware and Software this 2023?
-Hopefully Drake/Switch 2
-Metroid Prime remastered game
-A Mario game in the holidays
-xb3 DLC being just as awesome as Torna GC
-more third party support. I really want RDR, Cod, Cyber Punk 2077 (EdgeRunners anime on Netflix is amazing), Eldin Ring, FF7 Remake (lol), Death Stranding (lol) Resident Evil Games,
-upgraded performance patched for some current switch games. Might have to be releases for some games. Witcher 3, Doom games, etc
-Rare Replay Nintendo edition
-Update to NSO. GBC, GBA, GC and Wii games? Even if some are Drake exclusive, though they should be doable on Switch.
I say lol because they have been Sony and PC exclusive, so I don't expect them too.

Last edited:
I know the developers want to prioritize battery and screen first (OLED) if anything. They can also increase battery capacity to 40 Whr.

I'm guessing people are expecting a 3-4 tflops GPU device, with 8 core CPU Ryzen 3 CPU that matches x series/PS5, has 1080p OLED screen lpddr5x RAM (133 GB/s) on a 3/4nm tsmc with switch OG battery life. Lol 😂.

If they release a 2 in the end of 2023, maybe they will go with AMD 6800 like the win 4. But that's around 50% more for the GPU and CPU? I hope the designers take as long as they need for a successor. They can't afford to release an iterative successor every 2-3 years for a product thats probably sold right under 2 million a year.

Last edited:
I've been lurking here for awhile, but what I don't get with the Holiday 2024 Switch launch is A) Wouldn't launching a new system 7.5 years after its predecessor be unusual even by console standards? B) If people expect 2023 to be a DLC/remasters-heavy year, how is Nintendo going to keep their audience engaged for 10+ months in 2024? C) Why exactly do people think that a console sales momentum (a very unpredictable factor) has any bearing on the launch timing on next gen when hardware is planned and developed for years?
The Xbox 360 launched in 2005 and Xbox One launched in 2013. An 8 year gap.

It was a 7 year gap for the ps3 and ps4.

Both the base version of the Xbox One and PS4 launched in 2013 and the successors dropped in 2020. 7 years.

Now both those consoles had “pro” versions but quite frankly, that was an unprecedented move at the time and one I don’t see happening again for a myriad of reasons.

We’ve now had two console generations in a row with 7 year gaps minimum between the original console launch and the successor launch. (Not counting the WiiU for obvious reasons). 7.5 years doesn’t seem too crazy.

As for engagement… people are speculating about a dlc heavy year but honestly I’m expecting a bit more given what we know is rumored to exist or be in development.

As for 2024 I think Nintendo will cross that bridge when they get to it. I could easily see that being their true “wind down” year. To be honest winding down 6-9 months before the launch of a new console would be a record for Nintendo. They usually “wind down” a lot sooner than that.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom