• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    šŸš§ We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. šŸš§

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

We've now reached "plans changed station". Last stop of the line, at least for now.

Remember those dev kits which were supposedly in the hands of developers since 2020? Which was the main arguments for many regulars of this topic to dismiss the possibility of a 2024 release of a new hardware, often using vexing epithets to qualify the unbelievers.

Well, I call bullshit on that one as well šŸ˜

Nintendo probably tried overclocking a Mariko. They also probably tried other chips such as an X2 or Xavier. They probably sat in meetings discussing about the opportunity to release a mid gen refresh. And it probably never got further than that.

I'm pretty sure that at no point, they started sending literal development kits to 10+ third party partners, making them work for 2+ years on porting their most valuable games, and then casually mailing them to announce that they decided to cancel the machine. And if they did send kits, cancelling the machine after possibly >1000 people had been working on porting games would be a literal suicide, even by Nintendo's standards.

That leaves us with two possibilities:

1- Nintendo will indeed release Drake in 2023, and that was their plan all along; nothing got cancelled. Everyone's happy. I don't believe in that scenario, but I would welcome it nonetheless.

2- Nintendo's next console is for 2024 or 2025. This is what I've been inclined to believe for a long time. This was also probably their plan all along. In this case, the whole dev kits thing was a combination of piggybacking, misinterpreting, wishful thinking, educated guessing, and clout chasing.

In both cases, it shows that while the revered "insiders" can get minor things right, such as the date of a direct a few weeks ahead, or the occasional new game, making predictions about big stuff like hardware, years in advance, should not in my opinion be treated as anything else than educated guessing.

In the meantime, I'll continue enjoying my 2017 switch. When properly used by developers, it still impresses me after all these years.

I agree, but I'm willing to wait for Nate or someone else to provide some additional clarification here.
Exactly this.

Right now he is just telling us that the Mid-Gen Refresh is gone, it can very well be that it will be Drake as a new console in 2023 and a real Next-Gen system.

To me a revision always made sense up to 2021, but to release it in 2023 would be just too much for that ancient Switch hardware from 2017. But again, its Nintendo...

Thanks.

I am not defending Nate by he didn't mention the release window of a possibly canceled Switch Pro.

He just said that there might have been one at some point.
I don't think Switch Pro was ever cancelled as I briefly knew a first-party dev who didn't even get this so-called system. I believe the Bloomberg report was all correct tho I think the 4k output was only for Dev Kits how PS3 can do greater Res than retail units for testing purposes?

I unironically think H1 2025 is more likely than any time in 2024
Well, yeah? Possibly. I mean that seriously
I'm not going off-topic at all. I'm trying to reconcile the new info that has been introduced here - that there was a 2023 "mid-gen revision" that has been shelved, and that it is not Drake.
It's much more simple to assume that a possible Pro was powered by a Tegra X1 with more memory bandwidth, a bigger battery and storage. Such device, while interesting, could have encountered internal resistence and been deemed to be not relevant enough to make it to the market. Thus, it ended up being shelved.

That's at least how I see things.

So we should wait - at least we know from that factory uncle who predicted the Splatoon 3 OLED model correctly, that something new and big goes in production in January.
I've seen Z0m3Ie mention it a few hours ago, but was it ever reported here last week when the factory uncle made those posts? It seems like huge news, but I don't remember seeing anything of the sort.

It's much more simple to assume that a possible Pro was powered by a Tegra X1 with more memory bandwidth, a bigger battery and storage. Such device, while interesting, could have encountered internal resistence and been deemed to be not relevant enough to make it to the market. Thus, it ended up being shelved.
I am having trouble believing that a Tegra X1 Pro would been targeting a 2023 release, after Nintendo already released the Mariko chip twice in 2019 and 2021 and offered zero performance upgrades. Unless the implication is yet another die shrink.

And Nate's previous comments regarding this revision involved DLSS and I don't think DLSS can be used with the X1.

I've seen Z0m3Ie mention it a few hours ago, but was it ever reported here last week when the factory uncle made those posts? It seems like huge news, but I don't remember seeing anything of the sort.
Sometimes things like that get missed and aren't posted here straight away due to the language barrier. Plus, it's the holidays in most of the English speaking world.

Iā€™m at the point where I even question what is the point of believing any of this information, mind you this is my fault because no one told me to go believe a random stranger on the Internet. But if he didnā€™t know anything, he shouldnā€™t have led people on for I think 2 to 3 years now.

If he knew something but information changed, he shouldā€™ve come out as quick as possible that Information is changed if he doesnā€™t know things as they are proceeding forward as of that point time of him losing track and contact with the information.

If he knows something concretely, but he just confusing/mixing up/being off with the data(????) the information that itā€™s difficult to actually parse what is going on, why is he doing this?

I now donā€™t see the point even believing or bothering to believe insiders especially with Nintendo hardware at this point in time. Good for directs, Iā€™m not gonna knock him on that. But hardware? At this point in time literally anybody on the street can tell me anything about this hardware and it would be as much are equal value.

Nvidia is more accurate and more trustworthy about the new hardware than anything said in the last two to three years and they havenā€™t said anything, more so than a random person on the Internet.

And like I said, this is my fault for choosing to believe it, especially for what, like I said 2 to 3 years now? So Iā€™m not really gonna put a total blame on him. However, I will say people should be a lot more cautious with anything that is said about this new hardware from any insider because this shit is hitting the ceiling fan at this point.

And itā€™s hitting really fast.

The use of the word ā€œheavyā€ was right, because it was going to cause a heavy amount of discussion and back and forth.

Melodramatic? Sure I donā€™t care, itā€™s advice for others to see. And also not to repeat.

I am having trouble believing that a Tegra X1 Pro would been targeting a 2023 release, after Nintendo already released the Mariko chip twice in 2019 and 2021 and offered zero performance upgrades. Unless the implication is yet another die shrink.
Again, no one suggested that a Pro would be planned to release in 2023. Nate didn't mention a time window. The Pro he heard about could have been planned for any year after 2017.

Esit: I didn't see your edit.

Iā€™m at the point where I even question what is the point of believing any of this information, mind you this is my fault because no one told me to go believe a random stranger on the Internet. But if he didnā€™t know anything, he shouldnā€™t have led people on for I think 2 to 3 years now.

If he knew something but information changed, he shouldā€™ve come out as quick as possible that Information is changed if he doesnā€™t know things as they are proceeding forward as of that point time of him losing track and contact with the information.

If he knows something concretely, but he just confusing/mixing up/being off with the data(????) the information that itā€™s difficult to actually parse what is going on, why is he doing this?

I now donā€™t see the point even believing or bothering to believe insiders especially with Nintendo hardware at this point in time. Good for directs, Iā€™m not gonna knock him on that. But hardware? At this point in time literally anybody on the street can tell me anything about this hardware and it would be as much are equal value.

Nvidia is more accurate and more trustworthy about the new hardware than anything said in the last two to three years and they havenā€™t said anything, more so than a random person on the Internet.

And like I said, this is my fault for choosing to believe it, especially for what, like I said 2 to 3 years now? So Iā€™m not really gonna put a total blame on him. However, I will say people should be a lot more cautious with anything that is said about this new hardware from any insider because this shit is hitting the ceiling fan at this point.

The use of the word ā€œheavyā€ was right, because it was going to cause a heavy amount of discussion and back and forth.

Melodramatic? Sure I donā€™t care, itā€™s advice for others to see. And also not to repeat.
ReddDreadtheLead enters their Joker era. And we stan.

Again, no one suggested that a Pro would be planned to release in 2023. Nate didn't mention a time window. The Pro he heard about could have been planned for any year after 2017.
I am referring explicitly to Nate's recent comments.

The mid-gen refresh planned for 2023.

Drake/NVN2 can still be the SoC for the next-gen hardware.

This is what most of us are confused about.

So where does this leave the factory leakers? IIRC didn't someone predict both of the OLED editions that came out this year and then predicted a 3rd model?

oh god they were talking about a TotK OLED
I am of the belief that the 'Factory uncle' is a confused fanboy who was relaying oled description from a disinterested factory worker and has been posting bullshit ever since. Haven't seen anything to change my mind

EDIT WRONG PIC:
BUjjmH9CAAAXvIy.jpg

There was a rumour like 2 years ago about a 7nm TX1 for
Nintendo. Kinda sketchy and clearly nothing came of it but yeah

Be lucky I didnā€™t even discuss the fact that people were sending money to ask questions about hardware to a person they donā€™t know that allowed them to send money. For 2 to 3 years. Sending real money for questions and some of them were about hardware for 2 to 3 years. Iā€™m just-

I-

Let that sink in.

So thereā€™s no proā€¦ most likely all games being developed for it were shifted to switch 2 we can assume? We thinking 2023 dream is dead or nah?
Mochizukiā€™s reporting a were likely more correct for the time, but itā€™s been two years, so who knows how accurate that is now?

Sometimes things like that get missed and aren't posted here straight away due to the language barrier. Plus, it's the holidays in most of the English speaking world.
Right. I want to believe, but it seems a bit funny news like that only popped up in the light of potenitally negative information.

So thereā€™s no proā€¦ most likely all games being developed for it were shifted to switch 2 we can assume? We thinking 2023 dream is dead or nah?
I do not think the 2023 dream is dead. All that seems to have been said by insiders is that the next device is a successor and not a mid-gen refresh. I believe that is consistent with a 2023 launch.

The true ā€œkilling jokeā€ of 2022 is that 2023 is already DED!

Must we live in despair? No hope?

Pretty much my general take

Right. I want to believe, but it seems a bit funny news like that only popped up in the light of potenitally negative information.
You're right to be skeptical but so far, we haven't actually had anyone say that a 2023 Drake is off the table, just that if it does come, it's next gen.

Still, the 2023 launch would make the most sense to me, even with full successor. Software wise it makes the most sense and am not really talking about with Zelda in May.

You're right to be skeptical but so far, we haven't actually had anyone say that a 2023 Drake is off the table, just that if it does come, it's next gen.
The 2023 revision is cancelled, but the 2023 next gen device is still set for release.

You realize how ridiculous that sounds?

Capcom releasing cloud versions of RE2, 3, 7 and Village may have implied no next gen hardware is imminent. Would they really have released these at full price if a console which can handle them natively was due to be released?

I thought it seemed odd at the time they were revealed since Iā€™d be pissed if I bought them all and 6 months later they were like ā€˜buy them again for full price but this time for realā€™. Maybe they just knew these werenā€™t coming natively to a Nintendo console for a good while yet.

I'll agree with you that the confusing stuff now is kinda... Well, confusing.

But generally it's kinda naive to assume someone in the know will share any and all information with us the moment they get it. If Nate got new info recently that pointed to some major development then he is absolutely correct to vet that information as much as he wants, and only decide to share it when another source (DF in this case) says something similar first.

That's how responsible insider reporting in every industry happens.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom