• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Four weird predictions and two soft ones.

1. The new chip is using TSMC's 6 nm process. The Nvidia leak shows Ampere is used, and this is only available on Samsung 8 nm and TSMC 7 nm. As Sony has shown, it is possible to move the TSMC design to 6 nm relatively cheaply.
2. The same chip is used for a new Nvidia Shield.
3. The controller range is refreshed to use electromagnetic hall sensing joysticks that won't drift.
4. The body is the same as the OLED model with a metal backplate for better thermals in docked mode.
5. UFS and SD cards are both supported from a single slot. Nvidia has this on Jetson already.
6. Launching with Zelda.

What exactly are the applications where SD Express is succeeding? I've yet to find any evidence that the format has been meaningfully adopted. Even the types of devices that actually used UHS-II and UHS-III seem to mostly be moving to CFexpress instead.

The way I see things, if Nintendo wants anything faster than UHS-I, they're going to have to create the market for it themselves. None of the alternatives are really seem to be ready as is, and I'm not particularly convinced that SD Express is even the closest one to being ready, especially after the failures of UHS-II and particularly UHS-III to displace UHS-I in anything but professional gear.
Professional gear is still very much a commercial success.

For the record, I think that now.
I think you're being illogical!

But I understand why you think that.

I just don't see them sitting on raw materials for this thing for upwards of a year before production begins. They've had a glut of raw materials for months, it'll be a year come May. Storing things without selling them costs money.

Last edited:
Nah, come back on May 12th to see the narrative change that holiday 2023 will be the best or make the most sense to release the next switch.

How about no.

Pretty sure plenty of us will think it a bad or disappointing outcome to have it release after TotK. Nobody is moving the goalpost saying that “<new date> was obviously the best date for release” after their original guess passes. We’re just moving on and crossing our fingers.

I maintain that it could have launched this holiday and been a success - some releases like Bayonetta 3 might have seen greater acclaim even. It just didn’t pan out that way.

How about no.

Pretty sure plenty of us will think it a bad or disappointing outcome to have it release after TotK. Nobody is moving the goalpost saying that “<new date> was obviously the best date for release” after their original guess passes. We’re just moving on and crossing our fingers.

I maintain that it could have launched this holiday and been a success - some releases like Bayonetta 3 might have seen greater acclaim even. It just didn’t pan out that way.
To be fair, it didn't NEED greater acclaim than "best action game made in 2022" in a year of damn good action games.

To be fair, it didn't NEED greater acclaim than "best action game made in 2022" in a year of damn good action games.

My point was we wouldn’t have had the same discourse about how poorly it ran. It would have been a demonstration of the value of the new hardware along with patches to some other releases from the year like Splatoon 3 and Xenoblade 3 in 4K.

Nah, come back on May 12th to see the narrative change that holiday 2023 will be the best or make the most sense to release the next switch.
Nobody here has brought up a narrative change until you did just now. This is a speculation thread, not a "hindsight is 20/20" thread.

No one here firmly believe that's it's going to happen at X date for sure, we just play with the data we have and if it doesn't happen well too bad, we knew it was just speculation all along.

My point was we wouldn’t have had the same discourse about how poorly it ran. It would have been a demonstration of the value of the new hardware along with patches to some other releases from the year like Splatoon 3 and Xenoblade 3 in 4K.
Oh, absolutely. I agree. I'm genuinely excited for the patches to S3 and Bayo3. I think Xenoblade will be there right at launch with a patch since it already uses TAAU.

I think you're being illogical!

But I understand why you think that.

I just don't see them sitting on raw materials for this thing for upwards of a year before production begins. They've had a glut of raw materials for months, it'll be a year come May. Storing things without selling them costs money.
Oh, I get that. If I had to pick a release date right now, gun to my head, I'm picking Tears of the Kingdom simultaneous launch, same as most everyone else. I'm just not super confident about it.

The puzzle pieces, as I see them:

Drake is a big ass chip, custom built for Nintendo, that has likely hit production. Nintendo seems to be stockpiling parts, and their explanation for why doesn't seem to add up. Nintendo has been relatively cagey about 2023, and there are some open slots in the spring. We've heard that 3rd parties are expecting and H1 2023 release window for exclusives. That feels like a Spring release to me.

However, around the time of the Nvidia leak, when Fall was still on the table there was a vocal minority who saw the sheer size of Drake, and 2023 as the 6 year mark and opined that this felt like a successor, not just in specs, but in timing. They argued that Nintendo would get past 2022 holiday, spend 2023 marketing the thing, and launch holiday 2023? "Switch 2, the next console, backwards compatible" is a simple, clear marketing campaign that happens to match the hardware really well.

The open dates in spring? Well, March got filled at the TGAs, and can you blame Nintendo for clearing the decks before Zelda comes out?

The stockpiling? Take Nintendo (mostly) at their word. They're stockpiling because of the supply chain, and the effect is increased by a change in accounting practice. Yes, they are stockpiling for Drake, but if they announce before the end of the fiscal, the investors aren't going to be up in arms about hearing that Nintendo has very carefully built out its resources to have plenty of units at launch.

The H1 launch date for games? That is where it starts to fall apart, but it's not insane to me that, in the last year since we heard that info, the schedule might have slipped 6 months. Exclusives get pushed back (they're not announced, so it's not like it hurts their marketing) and cross-gen/multi-plat titles launch on time with an enhanced edition later.

So, two competing theories.

Either we believe this launches in spring, and that:
  • Nintendo is releasing 6x times more powerful hardware with a marketing cycle roughly the length of the new 3DS
  • They're going to treat it as some kind of revision, hamstringing the hardware's potential in the short term
  • While potentially recommitting the Wii U sin of making people feel like this is an optional upgrade for just a few specific games
Or we believe that they're releasing a pretty straight forward Switch 2, with a Switch 2 marketing cycle and:
  • And that all the reports from multiple sources about 2022-2023 were wrong and/or misinterpreted
  • And the fact that the hardware seems to be lining up for production is just coincidence
  • Nintendo has gone full doomsday prepper in shoring up their production lines
If I had to pick, again, gun to my head, I'll go with the theory that says "yeah, all these reports are true, you're just missing the one piece of data that makes Nintendo's audacious strategy make sense once it is deployed" because that's how the NX/Switch and the Wii both went down. But my natural self-doubt makes "Yeah, you're not Sherlock Holmes, and the one missing piece of data isn't Nintendo's genius marketing plan, but a totally banal explanation for why one of the things you've been leaning on is wrong/misinterpreted" also kinda compelling.

If you were asking in spring of last year "what if folks are mixing up a new hardware revision that is coming out with the successor and that's why it looks like a pro is coming out" you'd probably get laughed at, but it happened, and in retrospect, wasn't that wild. I'm open to the possibility that's going on here.

Nintendo is releasing 6x times more powerful hardware with a marketing cycle roughly the length of the new 3DS
About that, there's two companies Nintendo likes: Disney and Apple. I wouldn't be surprised if they held a conference in March unveiling the hardware and its games saying "preorders open later today on My Nintendo Store".

It would also coincide with the end of the WiiU and 3ds eshops which admittedly doesn't mean anything per se, but where I live the My Nintendo Store and eshop are separate websites (unlike in the US) so they could decommission the old website while only keeping the new one, like Sony did for the Playstation 5.

About that, there's two companies Nintendo likes: Disney and Apple. I wouldn't be surprised if they held a conference in March unveiling the hardware and its games saying "preorders open later today on My Nintendo Store".

It would also coincide with the end of the WiiU and 3ds eshops which admittedly doesn't mean anything per se, but where I live the My Nintendo Store and eshop are separate websites (unlike in the US) so they could decommission the old website while only keeping the new one, like Sony did for the Playstation 5.
the problem with an Apple comparison (really, any phone) is that phone production is hella well underway while the companies don't acknowledge it. upon reveal, the phones are ready to ship to markets. this is why we know literally everything about phones before reveal.

Oh, I get that. If I had to pick a release date right now, gun to my head, I'm picking Tears of the Kingdom simultaneous launch, same as most everyone else. I'm just not super confident about it.

Drake is a big ass chip, custom built for Nintendo, that has likely hit production. Nintendo seems to be stockpiling parts, and their explanation for why doesn't seem to add up. Nintendo has been relatively cagey about 2023, and there are some open slots in the spring. We've heard that 3rd parties are expecting and H1 2023 release window for exclusives. That feels like a Spring release to me.

However, around the time of the Nvidia leak, when Fall was still on the table there was a vocal minority who saw the sheer size of Drake, and 2023 as the 6 year mark and opined that this felt like a successor, not just in specs, but in timing. They argued that Nintendo would get past 2022 holiday, spend 2023 marketing the thing, and launch holiday 2023? "Switch 2, the next console, backwards compatible" is a simple, clear marketing campaign that happens to match the hardware really well.

The open dates in spring? Well, March got filled at the TGAs, and can you blame Nintendo for clearing the decks before Zelda comes out?

The stockpiling? Take Nintendo (mostly) at their word. They're stockpiling because of the supply chain, and the effect is increased by a change in accounting practice. Yes, they are stockpiling for Drake, but if they announce before the end of the fiscal, the investors aren't going to be up in arms about hearing that Nintendo has very carefully built out its resources to have plenty of units at launch.

The H1 launch date for games? That is where it starts to fall apart, but it's not insane to me that, in the last year since we heard that info, the schedule might have slipped 6 months. Exclusives get pushed back (they're not announced, so it's not like it hurts their marketing) and cross-gen/multi-plat titles launch on time with an enhanced edition later.

• Nintendo is releasing 6x times more powerful hardware with a marketing cycle roughly the length of the new 3DS
  • They're going to treat it as some kind of revision, hamstringing the hardware's potential in the short term
  • While potentially recommitting the Wii U sin of making people feel like this is an optional upgrade for just a few specific games
Or we believe that they're releasing a pretty straight forward Switch 2, with a Switch 2 marketing cycle and:
  • And that all the reports from multiple sources about 2022-2023 were wrong and/or misinterpreted
  • And the fact that the hardware seems to be lining up for production is just coincidence
If I had to pick, again, gun to my head, I'll go with the theory that says "yeah, all these reports are true, you're just missing the one piece of data that makes Nintendo's audacious strategy make sense once it is deployed" because that's how the NX/Switch and the Wii both went down. But my natural self-doubt makes "Yeah, you're not Sherlock Holmes, and the one missing piece of data isn't Nintendo's genius marketing plan, but a totally banal explanation for why one of the things you've been leaning on is wrong/misinterpreted" also kinda compelling.

If you were asking in spring of last year "what if folks are mixing up a new hardware revision that is coming out with the successor and that's why it looks like a pro is coming out" you'd probably get laughed at, but it happened, and in retrospect, wasn't that wild. I'm open to the possibility that's going on here.
I think that audacious strategy IS that it isn't strictly a successor. They're not just a hardware company but a software company. This would keep some trust in the base hardware while they're still trying to produce enough Drake.

Remember. Xbox One X was nearly six times more powerful than the original. Not as big a gap, but big. Meanwhile the Series S had a tiny reveal to release.

This thing will sell out in the first year no matter what. The release date will be more about impact, more about being able to show 4K trailers, more about "Nintendo makes the most powerful handheld", rather than "sell Drakes". Drake will sell itself.

the problem with an Apple comparison (really, any phone) is that phone production is hella well underway while the companies don't acknowledge it. upon reveal, the phones are ready to ship to markets. this is why we know literally everything about phones before reveal.
Which is pretty much what seems to be happening here, given Drake, the chip, seems to be in production, as do other parts.

Don't we already know a lot of stuff about Drake too? Iphone production leaks start during the summer for the september release date.

I just want to add that if May is out of the question my fallback is directly 2024 like I thought before TotK got delayed: 2023 is a "DLCs year" that has a constant stream of content for the console that expands titles already released (Mario Kart, Xenoblade 3, Splatoon 3 will get an expansion, Pokemon) while allowing the rest of the company to gear up for the next generation.

I'm looking at that specific number because I don't know that much about the specifics of hardware as you lol

I'm just saying that, knowing Nintendo's history, if 8 is enough to run 70% of Nintendo's game with a stable frame rate, that's what they'll do. That's all I can judge with my knowledge, I don't know anything about how much easier 12 would be than 8 or anything like that.
I'll be honest, I don't have insider info nor am I an expert. And you could well be right with 8GB, but in terms of power envelopes, RAM is where Nintendo will splurge on. So GPU improvements aside, in terms of teralops, the Wii U was a super power 360 with 4x the RAM (2X available to games), Switch refined the concept of the Wii U and turned it into a hybrid. The RAM advantage was 8x (6x acessible to games). If this next hybrid lands around PS4 range portable/PS4Pro docked, it makes sent to go more than 8GB. 12Gb is only 1.5X it would take 16GB to hit 2X

I though I'd go through some Zelda releases that were launched with or close to new hardware (JP):

ZELDA TITLEHARDWAREZelda Launch Date (JP)Days from Hardware Launch (JP)
The Legend of ZeldaFamicom Disk SystemFeb 21, 19860
Triforce of the GodsSuper FamicomNov 21, 1991365
Link's Awakening DXGameboy ColorDec 12, 199852
Oracle of Seasons/AgesGameboy Advance*Feb 27, 2001-21
Twilight PrincessWiiDec 2, 20060
Link's Crossbow TrainingWii ZapperNA 1st Nov 19, 20070
Spirit TracksDSi XLDec 23, 200932
Ocarina of Time 3D3DSJun 16, 2011110
Majora's Mask 3Dnew 3DSFeb 14, 2015127* (0 in NA/EU)
Breath of the WildSwitchMar 3, 20170
Link's Awakening (2019 Remake)Switch liteSep 20, 20190
Tears of the Kingdom???May 12, 2023???
*The Oracle games featured GBA exclusive features

So 5 Zelda games have launched with new hardware (6 with MM3D in NA/EU) and 3 have launched within 4 months. so 9/20 (roughly 50%) of Zelda titles have launched with or very close to new Nintendo hardware. I would say the odds are in favor of a hardware day and date launch.

edit: The gold Wii RemotePlus released with SS and the Master Sword and Hylian Shield joycons released with SSHD count, too right? Added Link's Crossbow Training
edit 2: Added Oracle of Seasons/Ages due to GBA features and proximity to release

Last edited:
I think a brand new generation is unlikely next year. A new more powerful member of the switch family is possible and I really hope it comes with Zelda.

I don’t think a new generation has ever come out with a small lead time. Even Nintendo has code names and consoles revealed well in advance.

Don't we already know a lot of stuff about Drake too? Iphone production leaks start during the summer for the september release date.

I just want to add that if May is out of the question my fallback is directly 2024 like I thought before TotK got delayed: 2023 is a "DLCs year" that has a constant stream of content for the console that expands titles already released (Mario Kart, Xenoblade 3, Splatoon 3 will get an expansion, Pokemon) while allowing the rest of the company to gear up for the next generation.

No info about Drake came from production leaks though. And we're only inferring it could be in production now because of the linux thing (and faith in the 1H 2023 target window I guess).

No info about Drake came from production leaks though. And we're only inferring it could be in production now because of the linux thing (and faith in the 1H 2023 target window I guess).
Debatable. Splatoon 3 OLED Model factory leak included details about the new model's backplate. Everything it claimed came true. Even the exact date.

The one thing that didn't come true was a September reveal, but that was speculation and they said as much.

If factory workers are making so many of these things they think it could have been revealed by now, I'd say we're on track.

Ah right. But wasn't it mod uncle who speculated Sep 25? Not factory uncle? I recall being confused by that before, or maybe I'm confused about what I was confused about.

Mostly what I remember from the backplate post, whatever it was describing, the translation was pretty confusing and I think vague?

Anyway, went back through the thread trying to figure it out, and came across this old gem by Nate that I enjoyed reading again.

For clarity: I know of exclusives, yes; but I also know of games that are coming to Switch OG but have builds on the Switch 4K DLSS kits. These games (since they are releasing on Switch OG) are planned by first half 2023 regardless of Switch 4K hardware release timing.

Professional gear is still very much a commercial success.
In some sense, yes, but it's a fairly important distinction when we're talking about a device decidedly outside that niche. And it's really unclear to me that SD Express even meaningfully exists at that level at this point.

Counterpoint: the Switch actually had a very short prerelease marketing cycle, and a reveal early next year would be pretty in line with that.

makes weirdly confrontational post to farm replies and leaves
I'll never understand that mentality when it's clear it's not even to foster discussion.

Counterpoint: the Switch actually had a very short prerelease marketing cycle, and a reveal early next year would be pretty in line with that.
Switch marketing cycle was short, sure. 6 months between reveal and release. But a January reveal and a May release would be 4 months. And Nintendo announced the NX's release date 11 months before, right?

I agree with you, I'm just saying I'm not 100 on it yet.

Switch marketing cycle was short, sure. 6 months between reveal and release. But a January reveal and a May release would be 4 months. And Nintendo announced the NX's release date 11 months before, right?

I agree with you, I'm just saying I'm not 100 on it yet.
It wasn't 6 months. It was more like 4.5 (Oct 20th, to March 3rd).

They did announce the target release date earlier, but I think we can all agree Nintendo publicly acknowledged the existence of Switch far earlier than they really wanted to.

Most of the likely port candidates (eighth generation home console games and current cross-gen games) already run on hardware with 8GB of RAM, though. And significantly less than 8 of that is usable by games, in the case of the Xbox One.

I don't think they're likely to be designing this with the goal of enabling ports of native PS5/XSX games that push those consoles to the limit as a priority.
CPU and GPU should be capable of well more than mere PS4 ports. The fewer other things that make publishers consider "native PS5/XSX" as a default rather than "native PS5/XSX/Drake" once they're ready to move beyond PS4, the better.
You know, I kinda agree, but let me make the alternative case.

The Switch is already at a retina pixel density. Just as most people wont see the artifacts, most people won't see the improvements either.
Retina is a marketing term more than something well-defined. But going by this page every screen 9" or less that's billed as Retina has a PPI of 326 or better. Current Switch models range from 210 (OLED) to 267 (Lite). A 7" 1080p screen would be 315.
Why lower the battery life for a change that will not be seen by most people, while your most picky fans will find to be a downgrade?
The quality loss of old 720p-only content scaled to 1080p is pretty minor. IMO, much much smaller than what stands to be lost from content that could be 1080p stuck at only 720p.
It's the battery life thing that I think is the crux. You've about 7-10W to play with, total, in handheld mode. An upgrade to a 1080p screen is ~10% of that alone.
A matter of perspective. "Leaving image sharpness at 2017 levels will save us 10% power" seems like a pretty bad deal to me.
Pixel density smaller than foveal acuity at viewing distance is a Real Thing, and if you think "people can't notice the upscaling artifacts from 720p to 1080p" you are agreeing.
You say most people won't notice the upscaling artifacts, but if you're seeing fuzzy text now, you're absolutely going to notice the upscaling fuzz.
Not necessarily. It's also the case that not all upscaling techniques suck equally. FSR1 does a pretty good job with such things, which is part of why it's such a popular solution for even lower resolution content on Steam Deck. Doing a small comparison with a bit of Xenoblade 3 text, I might rather look at the FSR version than the native. In this comparison the original is pixel resized 3x and the others 2x, for fair comparison.
pHFrF21.png

I would prefer at least the option to have a sensor bar instead of just having to accept the Switch's horribly imprecise pointer controls.
Inside-out tracking is a thing, and should be simpler than what's necessary for VR devices if only wanting to replicate Wii-style pointer rather than fully tracking 3D space. Whether it's simpler enough to be feasible in a Joy-Con in addition to everything else already in there, shrug.

My 6 predictions for 2023:

1- Trailer reveal of "Switch SUPER" on January 5th, great presentation announced for the 12th, with large third parties and the presence of Janson Huang who talks about 20 minutes about all the capabilities of the new Hardware. Koizumi also takes some time talking about the new features of the Joycon 2 and the console's new ginmick, which now has a VR Mode. Drake will be 7nm TSMC, 256GB, 12GB LPDDR5 RAM, 6200mAh battery, about 1.4 TFlops portable, 3.2 TFlops in TV mode. Costing U$450.00.

2- Release of Switch SUPER on April 21, 3 weeks before TotK, along with "Super Metroid Prime", a remaster of the first game, but at the same technical level as Crysis Core, it is the most beautiful game so far on the base Switch , squeezing all the juice of the old TX1, but the difference is huge in SUPER, UHD with DLSS, textures in 4K with its own technology reminiscent of nanite and lighting based entirely on Raytracing and of course an exclusive mode in VR.

3- Several Exclusive Thirds already at launch, including CP2077, RE7, RE8, RE2R, RE3R, all Kingdom Hearts, FFVIIR, FFXV and RDR2. Throughout 2023 we will still receive Elden Ring, and about 70% of AAA on day one.

4- No exclusive Nintendo games for SUPER until 2025, however ALL Nintendo games will receive free 4K patches by then, some will still receive exclusive updates to enable VR. Some selected games also receive paid DLCs of graphical improvements, not only in resolution, but also with new assets, textures, effects, lighting updates.

5- All the paid VR and Graphical DLCs, will be available day one in the NSO Expansion Pack. In September the base NSO will receive Game Boy and Game Boy Color, and the Expansion Pack will receive GBA. Nintendo still makes an announcement for 2024, of a remodeling of the system in the style that Sony did with the PS+, including a tier with a "Nintendo Pass" that of course will be expensive and will not have the same cost-effectiveness as competitors, but will let users fans happy enough.

6- Finally, 2023 will be the best year for Nintendo games since 2017, including in addition to what has already been announced, a new DK, new DLCs for Smash, a huge update for ScarVio (which will be compared to No Man's Sky for becoming a great game after time), and lastly a big 3D Mario due later in the year, being called Mario Space Odyssey, being a fusion of collectible concepts from Odyssey, expansive and unified world from Bowser's Fury and the ginmicks and setting from Galaxy, also released for base Switch but with stunning graphics on SUPER.

I would prefer at least the option to have a sensor bar instead of just having to accept the Switch's horribly imprecise pointer controls. Imagine how much better Pikmin 3 or Mario Maker would he on Switch with a sensor bar.
I convinced myself I like gyro pointer and I did manage to do pretty well in Pikmin 3 with it but yeah, I'd much prefer a pointer. especially since the Wii U already solved the problem with the integrated gamepad blasters

edit: I don't remember who came up with this six predictions thing but it was a brilliant idea for this thread. the technically minded can list their specs while I can just say shit like "they'll discontinue the original model but not right away"

They did announce the target release date earlier, but I think we can all agree Nintendo publicly acknowledged the existence of Switch far earlier than they really wanted to.
If the Switch had launched as intended in Holiday 2016, I wonder when they would have revealed and announced it? Would they have gone for a post or pre E3 unveiling with the same big Zelda blowout?

Quoted by: LiC
I though I'd go through some Zelda releases that were launched with or close to new hardware (JP):

Zelda titleHardwareZelda launch date (JP)days from hardware launch (JP)
The Legend of ZeldaFamicom Disk SystemFeb 21, 19860
Triforce of the GodsSuper FamicomNov 21, 1991365
Link's Awakening DXGameboy ColorDec 12, 199852
Twilight PrincessWiiDec 2, 20060
Spirit TracksDSi XLDec 23, 200932
Ocarina of Time 3D3DSJun 16, 2011110
Majora's Mask 3Dnew 3DSFeb 14, 2015127* (0 in NA/EU)
Breath of the WildSwitchMar 3, 20170
Link's Awakening (2019 Remake)Switch liteSep 20, 20190
Tears of the Kingdom???May 12, 2023???

So 4 Zelda games have launched with new hardware (5 with MM3D in NA/EU) and 3 have launched within 4 months. so 9/20 (roughly 50%) of Zelda titles have launch with or very close to new Nintendo hardware. I would say the odds are in favor of a hardware day and date launch.
(Side note) Damn I forgot all about the remake! I would love the Oracle games done in this style at 4K60 on Drake. 🤤

Retina is a marketing term more than something well-defined. But going by this page every screen 9" or less that's billed as Retina has a PPI of 326 or better. Current Switch models range from 210 (OLED) to 267 (Lite). A 7" 1080p screen would be 315.

Ignore the retina branding for a second, it's just shorthand. It's not about pixel density in an absolute sense, but pixel density across the viewing angle. A screen 5 feet away and a screen 12 inches away are not the same. The Switch screen, 12 inches from your face has the same density as a 70" 4K screen five feet away, for a person with 20/20 vision.

That particular density is above the average number of rods and cones per arcsecond of the field-of-view. Meaning there is a pixel for every light-sensing cell physically in the eyeball.

Human beings vary in both the number of rods/cones, their focal length, and how close they hold the screen to their face, and prebyopia is almost universal in folks over 40. There is a very high limit where no person perceives any improvement, but the line at which the majority of people can't see pixel gutters or distinguish fine detail is pretty low. So for each bump in resolution, you have to not only consider how much an improvement you get to the image quality, but what percentage of your population is physically capable of seeing it.

And on the other side of the scale you have to way costs. Power draw on OLED screens is linear with resolution (because each pixel is lit separately), as is GPU power required to render said pixels. A 720p->1080p jump is over 2x, 1080p->1440p is 1.3x.
The quality loss of old 720p-only content scaled to 1080p is pretty minor. IMO, much much smaller than what stands to be lost from content that could be 1080p stuck at only 720p.
Have we had this discussion before? Not to repeat myself, but these stills aren't useful because you can't control the viewers view distance or browser scaling.

If a user is complaining about blurry text on their Lite now then add bilinear interpolation is definitely going to make the problem worse.

Not necessarily. It's also the case that not all upscaling techniques suck equally. FSR1 does a pretty good job with such things, which is part of why it's such a popular solution for even lower resolution content on Steam Deck. Doing a small comparison with a bit of Xenoblade 3 text, I might rather look at the FSR version than the native. In this comparison the original is pixel resized 3x and the others 2x, for fair comparison.
pHFrF21.png
Personally, I think the FSR1 rendering here is pretty terrible for glyphs. I recognize that we're going to get into personal preference quickly, so I'll just say that mobile devices almost universally stop rendering TrueType fonts AA below a certain size.

Of course, Nintendo is unlikely to offer per game upscaling settings for BC, especially if they're marketing the game as "just another switch". I would expect just the screen doing nearest neighbor, rather than any software solution by the OS.

Personally, I'm indifferent to a 1080p screen. I'm 41, and like virtually 100% of the population I have prebyopia. I can't hold the screen close enough to my face to see the difference between 720p and 1080p.

But we already know that Drake's power draw is going to be higher than Erista's, possibly by a large factor. 10% power increase seems like a small thing, but we've spent most of the headroom on the SOC in the first place. It doesn't feel like there is room for a bigger screen, unless it is per-pixel much more efficient than the existing OLED panel

edited for comprehensibility i have a headache and my brain no work good

My 6 predictions for 2023:

1- Trailer reveal of "Switch SUPER" on January 5th, great presentation announced for the 12th, with large third parties and the presence of Janson Huang who talks about 20 minutes about all the capabilities of the new Hardware. Koizumi also takes some time talking about the new features of the Joycon 2 and the console's new ginmick, which now has a VR Mode. Drake will be 7nm TSMC, 256GB, 12GB LPDDR5 RAM, 6200mAh battery, about 1.4 TFlops portable, 3.2 TFlops in TV mode. Costing U$450.00.

2- Release of Switch SUPER on April 21, 3 weeks before TotK, along with "Super Metroid Prime", a remaster of the first game, but at the same technical level as Crysis Core, it is the most beautiful game so far on the base Switch , squeezing all the juice of the old TX1, but the difference is huge in SUPER, UHD with DLSS, textures in 4K with its own technology reminiscent of nanite and lighting based entirely on Raytracing and of course an exclusive mode in VR.

3- Several Exclusive Thirds already at launch, including CP2077, RE7, RE8, RE2R, RE3R, all Kingdom Hearts, FFVIIR, FFXV and RDR2. Throughout 2023 we will still receive Elden Ring, and about 70% of AAA on day one.

4- No exclusive Nintendo games for SUPER until 2025, however ALL Nintendo games will receive free 4K patches by then, some will still receive exclusive updates to enable VR. Some selected games also receive paid DLCs of graphical improvements, not only in resolution, but also with new assets, textures, effects, lighting updates.

5- All the paid VR and Graphical DLCs, will be available day one in the NSO Expansion Pack. In September the base NSO will receive Game Boy and Game Boy Color, and the Expansion Pack will receive GBA. Nintendo still makes an announcement for 2024, of a remodeling of the system in the style that Sony did with the PS+, including a tier with a "Nintendo Pass" that of course will be expensive and will not have the same cost-effectiveness as competitors, but will let users fans happy enough.

6- Finally, 2023 will be the best year for Nintendo games since 2017, including in addition to what has already been announced, a new DK, new DLCs for Smash, a huge update for ScarVio (which will be compared to No Man's Sky for becoming a great game after time), and lastly a big 3D Mario due later in the year, being called Mario Space Odyssey, being a fusion of collectible concepts from Odyssey, expansive and unified world from Bowser's Fury and the ginmicks and setting from Galaxy, also released for base Switch but with stunning graphics on SUPER.
I agree with a lot of what you've said here. Just a few things and counterpoints I wanted to add:

1. I agree that Nintendo will do a teaser/reveal first with a presentation later, just about a month later. Basically, my thought process is they'll wait until FE Engage is out of the way first (they may even wait until after Kirby and do it early March). Jason hasn't appeared in a Nintendo skit yet, but I could see him showing up this once to talk a bit about the new tech vaguely and that it enables 4K, etc. Agree on Joycon 2. No VR (outside of a Labo implementation). yes on the rest, especially the price.

2. Not sure about Prime launching with Drake, but I could see the system launching just a bit earlier.

3. Yes, Yes, Yes. Especially from Ubisoft and Capcom. Don't think we'll see that many RE or SQEX game launch day, but I can see RE4R, SF6, and other big AAA 3P games announced to be released throughout 2023 and into 2024+. Not sure about RE4R, but I def see SF6 coming day one.

4. Yes with regards to Nintendo internal, but I can see Nintendo published exclusives before 2025 (and perhaps even launch day). Examples would be Astral Chain 2 or some title like MUA3. Assisted distribution, like with Witcher 3 or GTA trilogy are also very likely. Nintendo will def use their expanded war chest to get titles like Elden Ring, RDR2, and other marquee PS4 and cross-gen games.

I don't think Nintendo will charge for upgrades. If anything, these updates will help justify Nintendo keeping their older (especially the evergreen) Switch titles at their original prices. But I do predict that once they transition to SW2 exclusives that they will be $64.99 USD minimum.

5. With regards to the NSO plans, I think they'll add an additional tier OR have GC exclusives to SW2 down the line.

6. I don't think anything will or can ever top 2017 tbh. That was a year with basically every top tier Nintendo franchise except AC and Smash. Zelda, MK, Splatoon, new IP, 3P exclusive in Rabbids, 3D Mario, exclusive Warriors title, AND a new Xenoblade in 9 months? Insane, but I think 2023 will come close. DK, SV DLC, and 3D Mario are all likely.

I am also of the opinion that the next 3D Mario, Prime 4, and the new 3D (i hope) DK will run at 30 fps on Switch and 60 fps on Switch 2.

Don't think we'll see that many RE or SQEX game launch day
I feel those are the closest to guaranteed. Capcom heavily relies on catalog sales for their games, so the latest RE games on what will be the most popular high end portable will make a good bit of cash. same with SE, especially since they know how desirable KH is and FF7 on a portable

I feel those are the closest to guaranteed. Capcom heavily relies on catalog sales for their games, so the latest RE games on what will be the most popular high end portable will make a good bit of cash. same with SE, especially since they know how desirable KH is and FF7 on a portable
Oh I agree we'll see something from both of them at or very close to launch (like within a month). Just not every last gen RE game and/or all of SQEX's marquee titles on day 1 specifically. I can see Capcom having RE4R day 1 since it's the most recent or SQEX having KH of some kind as well. 7RM will come as well, but I think after 16 and 7RB.

You are correct, I did my math wrong! And the Wii U had a short cycle between announcement and release as well.
How high can Drake clock if it is on
Samsung 8nm
Samsung 7nm
Samsung 5/4nm
TSMC 6nm
TSMC 4nm?
I don't think this is an answerable question. What are you trying to figure out? Drake's practical max for the GPU clock is probably 1.0-1.3 GHz, regardless of process node. But that definition of "practical" is somewhat fuzzy.

On a separate note, I found this interesting quote from Iwata regarding the Wii Vitality Sensor:
On July 5, 2013, Satoru Iwata disclosed that the Wii Vitality Sensor project had been cancelled due to its lack of widespread compatibility, with Nintendo finding that the device failed to work with approximately 10% of people it was tested on,[92] noting that the device "was of narrower application than we had originally thought."[93] Iwata also mentioned the possibility of returning to the project in the future, when the technology allows for at least a 99.9% success rate.[92]
I wonder if 99.9% is the ratio is aiming for backward compatibility on Switch 2?

Four weird predictions and two soft ones.

1. The new chip is using TSMC's 6 nm process. The Nvidia leak shows Ampere is used, and this is only available on Samsung 8 nm and TSMC 7 nm. As Sony has shown, it is possible to move the TSMC design to 6 nm relatively cheaply.
2. The same chip is used for a new Nvidia Shield.
3. The controller range is refreshed to use electromagnetic hall sensing joysticks that won't drift.
4. The body is the same as the OLED model with a metal backplate for better thermals in docked mode.
5. UFS and SD cards are both supported from a single slot. Nvidia has this on Jetson already.
6. Launching with Zelda.
UFS-SD card slot hybrid already being on a Jetson board has me U-turning on UFS card. I mean... if it's already supported BY NVIDIA ORIN. I think I could start to believe it. Sorry if someone pointed this out before.

While I do think Nintendo wants to stand behind SD due to their evident investments in it, Nvidia is their hardware partner, SAMSUNG is a hardware partner for displays. UFS Card starts to seem more likely. Though, I remain that "I'll believe it when I see it.", as I don't necessarily expect Drake to make any improvement to SD card support to begin with. If it does, though, UFS Card does appear to be on the table- certainly a lot more likely than I thought. Perhaps even very likely- IF they choose to upgrade the SD card slot.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom