• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I think it's obvious they will push settings, at least I could see Draw distance getting a huge boost.

It's a game about verticality. On a huge 4K screen, you want to soak in all that beautiful landscape detail, while falling thousands of feet above ground.

Also, pushing settings form a development perspective is probably the cheapest way to get a visual boost.
I don’t really think that’s obvious because there’s no real precedent of them doing so. They only raised the resolution for the BOTW Switch version iirc.

It’s an assumption that they’ll raise settings, but it’s not a given that they’ll do it. I think that building with the switch in mind they’ll figure out a way to make it less obvious. And they’ll judge from there if it’s absolutely necessary for them to raise settings. If it’s not necessary to them they would raise it because they see no need to do that imo.

I’m looking at the proposed specs, and I question if they even need DLSS to resolve a 4k60 image.

If they start pushing settings higher sure, but I don’t really think DLSS is needed to take a 1080p switch game to 4K.

It’s… a switch game… it wouldn’t be that different from XBox One X to XBox One games… that were 4K on the former vs whatever the XBox did.

Makes me wonder if they’ll rely more on FP8 for DLSS while seemingly speeding up the process without any or much loss in quality.
No “need” of course but as others said if you save rendering resources on drawing native pixels you can then use them for better geometry, more detailed textures, more precise lighting, better shadows, better ssr, AA, AF and of course potential RT for GI, AO or reflections.

Makes me wonder if they’ll rely more on FP8 for DLSS while seemingly speeding up the process without any or much loss in quality.
I don’t think we know whether DLSS is currently quantized to ints or not, but once hardware implementations of FP8 become commonplace, I can’t think of any reason why you would continue to use INT8 over FP8. There has been some research into using INT4 as well, but I personally doubt that will ever work for general use.

I don’t really think that’s obvious because there’s no real precedent of them doing so. They only raised the resolution for the BOTW Switch version iirc.

It’s an assumption that they’ll raise settings, but it’s not a given that they’ll do it. I think that building with the switch in mind they’ll figure out a way to make it less obvious. And they’ll judge from there if it’s absolutely necessary for them to raise settings. If it’s not necessary to them they would raise it because they see no need to do that imo.
There is no real precedent of them launching a cross gen Zelda game, on a much more powerful console across the board with a similar architecture.

I’m looking at the proposed specs, and I question if they even need DLSS to resolve a 4k60 image.

If they start pushing settings higher sure, but I don’t really think DLSS is needed to take a 1080p switch game to 4K.

It’s… a switch game… it wouldn’t be that different from XBox One X to XBox One games… that were 4K on the former vs whatever the XBox did.

Think you’re getting ahead here. There’s no way a PS4 could run PS3 games at 4K, and PS4 level before DLSS should be the realistic expectation for this console in my view. The idea that this console will run 4K versions of Switch games without any upscaling is just fantasy.

Edit - Apologies if you’re talking about some other chip or system.

Think you’re getting ahead here. There’s no way a PS4 could run PS3 games at 4K, and PS4 level before DLSS should be the realistic expectation for this console in my view. The idea that this console will run 4K versions of Switch games without any upscaling is just fantasy.

1080p to 4k is 4 times the pixels. So assuming PS4 level specs for the this device (the GPU will be more performant than PS4 even at the same Flops) if TotK is a dynamic 1080p then I don't see if being impossible to hit 4k without DLSS. Biggest issue probably would be bandwidth. The PS4 could certainly run PS3 games at higher resolutions approaching 4k if the output allowed for it. The Switch runs PS3/360 games at 900-1080p with improvements.

Honestly, I'm expecting, few, if any titles to be updated with DLSS that didn't have it at launch. Probably just a few things that release in the window leading up to the hardware and maybe a few older titles that are already well suited to it, like the Xenoblades.

honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo games didn't come with DLSS. it's not like they couldn't have done TAAU in the meantime in the past couple years. we might see stuff like 1440p switch games spatially upscaled to 4K, bandwidth willing. if NERD really is working on a realtime AI upscaling algorithm, EPD might sooner use that

While, in theory, One X could get to native 4k, I'm not aware of any games that didn't use checkerboard rendering, which is a form of temporal upscaling like DLSS. So, if the gap between Switch and NuSwitch is the same as One to One X you would expect to still need DLSS.

I do expect the gap to be larger, however. The One X was a beast, like 3x relative to the Xbone (much larger than the PS4->PS4 Pro gap) but it still wasn't quite a generational leap. Will the NuSwitch leap be enough to push, say, MK8DX to 4k? Maybe!

It probably would look... fine? MK8 has a really scalable art style. The difference between the 720p version and the 1080p version is minimal to my eyes, just the advantages of being native res on the display. I think at 4k the original texture work starts to really age, however, so you'll likely want to update those, which means you're no longer scaling linearly with just GPU power, but there is enough CPU power there, assuming the memory bandwidth can keep up.

Exactly much extra power Drake offers over it's predecessors - the Switch and the last gen Sony/MS consoles - has been a project of mine for a bit. It's trickier than it sounds, and my data isn't great, so I've avoided posting it. Maybe I'll take an hour and write up some preliminary notes in a bit if folks are interested

Assuming Nintendo sticks with their six year hardware lifespans gaps, I would expect the Nintendo Switch 3 to launch either in holiday 2028 or first half of 2029. What kind of hardware would be available around that time? Would it still be Thor or the next thing?
I would take all answers with a mountain of salt. We don’t really know the specs or timing of the next Nintendo hardware. We think we do, but we don’t. It’s just “informed” speculation.

And trying to straight like some assumptions for a 2028-2029 piece of hardware when the community can’t seem to get the next 12-months right seems pointless.

If this hardware is launching in May then we should start to hear about manufacturing in Dec-Jan. If by then we aren't starting to hear real chatter out of the rumour mill then I (note O am saying me, others are free to disagree) would begin to doubt a H1 launch. Between having to increase hardware guidance and increase manufacturing capacity, software needing to be prepped and general industry chatter it is hard to think we reach feb for a device launching in May and have no additional info. I know Nintendo keeps a tight ship but manufacturing has lead times that can't be ignored.

So we'll see I suppose. I hope it is May but I do expect to start hearing chatter soon if that is the case.

I believe PS3 is ~180 TFLOPs for the GPU and PS4 base is 10x of that (1.84). I'm not even counting architectural advantages. So in theory it could be possible. Granted, PS3 is a 720p machine. And 720p to 4k requires 9x the pixels. Forgot how much bandwidth PS3 has though

If Drake is 3 tflops docked, vs Switch's 393 gflops in docked mode, we get a 7.6x power gap. Again, not counting architectural advantages from Ampere, which could make it perform closer to 10x. Native 1080p games on switch shouldn't have a problem rendering in 4k native. Drake also should have 4x the bandwidth to meet the 4x pixel demand.

Going from 900p to 4k requires 5.76x the pixels, so maybe we can see Totk adaptive 900p on switch and native 4k on Drake.

I am not holding my breath on 720p switch games bring native 4k in Drake without DLSS though.

But maybe a stable 1440p- 4k 60fps is possible with DLSS for Bayonetta. I kinda expect a solid 1080o 60fps in Drake without DlSS at least.

Last edited:
It’s going to be interesting to see if Microsoft/Activision port over the next CoD game and how it will compare to the last Gen. versions. It should be able to hold a steady 60fps thanks to its rumored beefy innards while providing low setting RT?

Digital Foundry looks at last Gen. CoD performance
Well, the One X should also be steady 60, it isn't.

Edit: and its a long shot, that it will get a port in the first place.

Well the PS4 Pro gets a steady 60fps and the PS4 performance is better than the One X. They pushed the resolution too high on the One X.

I agree that if they probably wont port this but given next years CoD is an expansion of MW2 it wouldn't be a bad place to start.

While, in theory, One X could get to native 4k, I'm not aware of any games that didn't use checkerboard rendering, which is a form of temporal upscaling like DLSS. So, if the gap between Switch and NuSwitch is the same as One to One X you would expect to still need DLSS.

I do expect the gap to be larger, however. The One X was a beast, like 3x relative to the Xbone (much larger than the PS4->PS4 Pro gap) but it still wasn't quite a generational leap. Will the NuSwitch leap be enough to push, say, MK8DX to 4k? Maybe!

It probably would look... fine? MK8 has a really scalable art style. The difference between the 720p version and the 1080p version is minimal to my eyes, just the advantages of being native res on the display. I think at 4k the original texture work starts to really age, however, so you'll likely want to update those, which means you're no longer scaling linearly with just GPU power, but there is enough CPU power there, assuming the memory bandwidth can keep up.

Exactly much extra power Drake offers over it's predecessors - the Switch and the last gen Sony/MS consoles - has been a project of mine for a bit. It's trickier than it sounds, and my data isn't great, so I've avoided posting it. Maybe I'll take an hour and write up some preliminary notes in a bit if folks are interested
Count me in as being interested to read.

I haven't seen the video and would rather read the summary article, which I haven't seen yet online.. if last gen isn't 60fps, I'm guessing there's a CPU bottleneck?

Edit: Saw the ps4 pro comment.

Seems like a good amount of people from resetera think we'll get last gen cod ports through 2024. We'll see...

PS4 Pro almost always beats One X in framerate because One X almost always went for more pixels than Pro. It was frustrating to say the least. Missing out on a steady 30 or 60fps for 5% more pixels is just not worth it to me… Of course dynamic resolution takes this issue away (if the lower bound if low enough which it wasn’t in some One X games).

One X was a beast though. It’s still incredible that they managed to get RDR II running at native 2160p at a locked 30fps for launch while the game looked like shit on the Pro due to it’s poor checkerboard solution. The game still looks impressive up against almost anything else on the market on the One X.

If Tears of the Kingdom is 1920x1080 in any way, shape or form including dynamic on the launch Switch I will gladly buy you a copy of the game.

Nintendo are likely really pushing Switch to breaking point with this game in terms of it’s rendering quality of material etc so choosing to render the game at ~50% more pixels at the low end versus BotW (considering BotW actually drops to 720p at times) seems completely unrealistic to me.

TotK will run at dynamic 900p when docked on Switch and spend much of its time below that number imo. It will still have framerate drops below 30fps.

The Drake version will be 2160p/60fps using DLSS when docked in comparison.
I say there is a chance (like DF suspects) that they implement a Temporal Super Resolution solution like Xenoblade 3's. The IQ showed off in the TOTK trailers so far is pretty impressive/looks close to native 1080p in resolve,

But it could just be PC's running builds at 1080p instead of footage on-device.

Series X level. In terms of raw power, it’s usually a handheld version of whatever the previous console generation was. It’ll have the benefit of the latest upscaling tech on top of that.
I don't know that Nintendo could release hardware that can reach the Xbox Series X in terms of raw performance after Nintendo releases new hardware equipped with Drake. Fundamental transistor scaling observations and laws (e.g. Moore's law, Dennard scaling, etc.) are either slowing down or dying, which Arm's CPU peak performance chart suggests.

Nintendo's new hardware equipped with Drake is probably going to be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, performance increase seen on Nintendo's hardware.

I don't know that Nintendo could release hardware that can reach the Xbox Series X in terms of raw performance after Nintendo releases new hardware equipped with Drake. Fundamental transistor scaling observations and laws (e.g. Moore's law, Dennard scaling, etc.) are either slowing down or dying, which Arm's CPU peak performance chart suggests.

Nintendo's new hardware equipped with Drake is probably going to be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, performance increase seen on Nintendo's hardware.
Yeah it's hard to say what we can get in 7 years, when trying to balance power, power draw, and thermals.
Moore's law is really slowing down on all fronts. We might need a real breakthrough, Just how low on nodes can we go in 7 years to reduce power draw. Architecture will ne/always has been equally important too.

Hopefully graphene batteries become a real thing in the market.

Last edited:

Scaling observations and laws, combined with the actual money spent to achieve “smaller” process nodes (both in cost of fab tech and he cost to fabricate itself) has me in a position where I think the era of general-purpose processor improvement through things like node changes is slowly approaching the end. Nvidia has managed to understand this rather quickly and made moves to avoid hitting that wall, by both introducing specialized cores in their GPUs for big performance gains (see: RT and Tensor cores) and finding ways to use those cores across a huge number of the industries/markets it operates in (see example: Tensor cores for AI computation in auto and robotics re-purposed for gaming with DLSS and other similar features). But even that technique of finding broad use for specialized cores will likely reach a wall sooner or later without some serious ingenuity, and that’s just the GPU side of things. Application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs) have already seen some pretty thorough use in electronics, but that will see greater expansion and/or we’ll see even more intense specialization through accelerator cores that may eventually lead to application-specific CPU and GPU designs that will not be broadly applied across industries. You can also see a preview of that with Nintendo needing a custom design due to the A78AE CPU in Orin possessing features not applicable to gaming, but I expect such customization to get more and more intense and fragmented as time moves on, until we’re free of the limits of silicon chip fabrication.

It remains to be seen what even MS and Sony do next for the same reason. You can’t keep dialing up raster power but AMD’s chiplet design plus NVidia’s aggressive push of AI potentially creates the ability to match experiences without needing full node shrinks.

No “need” of course but as others said if you save rendering resources on drawing native pixels you can then use them for better geometry, more detailed textures, more precise lighting, better shadows, better ssr, AA, AF and of course potential RT for GI, AO or reflections.

right but this is beyond just a 4K60 mode, to find a need to actually use DLSS if it even needs it. Otherwise? Drake shouldn’t have much issue actually hitting 4K for a switch game.

Even then, the geometry is still held to what the switch can do, not Drake.

There is no real precedent of them launching a cross gen Zelda game, on a much more powerful console across the board with a similar architecture.

There isn’t in that very specific scenario that will only happen once which is true, but assuming that they will definitely start doing high resolution + high framerate + high textures + higher AO + higher GI + higher etc is just setting oneself for disappointment or rather than disappointment a confusion. And even then, there’s only so much they can do before it borders a whole remaster which is something else entirely.

Do people expect a remaster of sorts or something?

like there’s only so much that can be done as a cross generation title that boosts the the overall presentation without stepping outside of that and into a remaster territory.

Honestly, I'm expecting, few, if any titles to be updated with DLSS that didn't have it at launch. Probably just a few things that release in the window leading up to the hardware and maybe a few older titles that are already well suited to it, like the Xenoblades.

Yeah same, I’m personally not seeing a lot to be patched day 1. Just don’t think Drake absolutely needs to utilize DLSS to now be able to do 4k60 of a switch game. It can have occasions of getting it through raw horsepower. Maybe if they decide to throw everything at the wall and use DLSS to hit 4K, but otherwise it would just be an extra feature in the mix.

There are several games that run on both who are improved on the X console. Farcry 5 ran at 4K on the One X natively, vs the 1080p on the base console and didn’t use CBR. Doesn’t use any dynamic scaling either.

And it would be misguided to call CBR a temporal upscaler since it doesn’t upscale anything.

It was >4 times the OneVCR btw. 6TF vs 1.3TF was a ~4.5 times the throughput.

Here’s the thing, even assuming the switch next keeps the same clockspeed as the current switch the theoretical performance uplift is still exactly 6 times what the switch in docked mode can do on paper. Accounting for any architectural changes that make the ease of rendering at a higher resolution from something at a lower fidelity, it is already a larger jump than One X is to the X who was able to deliver a 4K image of XBox One games.

Even if we account for the memory bandwidth on paper it is 4x more bandwidth for the next, but said bandwidth is not accounting any architectural improvements that made processing memory more efficient.

One thing that really held back the XBox One X was the CPU, prevented some games going to a higher framerate and have a higher res at the same time.

There are games that are native 4K, there are others who are dynamic, others who use upsampling, use CBR, etc. one X in many occasions did settings on HIGH!
Considering the CPU uplift it should be… ok I think? It’s not a small increase by any means even if conservative, so of a switch game it should be “fine” as you said.

PS4 in theory can, because it has enough processing power to handle the PS3 games visual fidelity based on the RSX at a higher resolution and framerate.

And I am referring to the Drake SoC vs Switch TX1 SoC.

DLSS 4K vs native 4K also has reduced power draw, right ?
Yes. Theoretically anyway. PC shows the reduced power draw and it is noticeable, I wonder how it’ll scale down for a portable device like the Nintendo switch 2, ie “will it actually provide a noticeable difference?”

Will it be 1w as opposed to 40 on a high end desktop card? Does it reduce it by 4 or 5? Remains to be seen, but It should offer something.

And addendum to all of this, switch being a console and switch 2 being a console has their benefits in this, as it doesn’t have to be like in the PC space where you need to over provision. Console level optimization will always have a benefit to it.

Last edited:
people forget that a hardware's lifespan is until the system stops being produced, not when the successor is out

That's an excellent point. I think the ten year lifespan is extremely reasonable for Nintendo Switch - the last pre-drake Nintendo Switch consoles rolling off the production line in 2027 makes sense, at least to me, provided they can get the parts and it remains cost competitive.

3DS was 9 years and 6 months from release to discontinuation, and Switch is considerably more popular.

Like many others I also think the transition between generations going forward will be extremely slow, with new hardware released months or years before first party development drops the previous hardware, and this contributes to a long lifespan. As I've said before, I think as long as a game can run on Switch 1, it'll probably come to Switch 1, so we could see a very long tail of support indeed, with lighter titles and the like. Sort of like late NES and the trickle of puzzle games it got post-SNES.

Because of all this I continue to think 2023 is very reasonable for them to be releasing Drake, it simply doesn't mean dropping Switch like a biodegradable coffee cup out a car window.

What’s your point?

The sequel to Breath of the Wild will arguably be Nintendo’s most hyped up game ever. Their ‘Halo 2’. We know from Nvidia leaks they have an incredibly powerful SoC. We know from Bloomberg that dev kits have been out for over a year. We can speculate that a combination of Covid and chip shortages have potentially delayed the console from a planned late 2022 release into 2023. What game comes out in 2023 that’s big enough to support the launch of a new console?

Nintendo would be quite literally stupid not to launch the console with Tears of the Kingdom next May.

As I've said before, they'd be just as stupid TO launch hardware in May. As long as the hardware is out with or before Breath of the Wild 2, it'll be fine, but I don't believe a May release for one second.

If it releases in May I'll happily eat crow because I'm glad it's out in 2023 in some shape or form, but I don't buy it. Nothing implies it beyond the existence of Breath of the Wild 2's release date, and I doubt that the console would be delayed to meet the game's release date when it could launch earlier and have more units on shelves in time for Zelda, at more economically advantageous times.

I think I'm in the "Nintendo's blank release schedule for March and April are where Drake and a smaller launch game will fall." camp, as convoluted as it may seem. I see no reason why they wouldn't have at least one game ready for that window, an important time for consumer spending, and no reason to keep such games under wraps- other than being showpieces for unannounced hardware.

Edit: Let's be real, this device will sell out for weeks no matter when it launches or with what. Perhaps months.

Last edited:

like there’s only so much that can be done as a cross generation title that boosts the the overall presentation without stepping outside of that and into a remaster territory.
IMO when it comes to cross gen games the only thing I look for is increased resolution and higher frame rate. If I’m being greedy, higher resolution textures or higher draw distance. Leave the polygons and shadows alone.

Scaling observations and laws, combined with the actual money spent to achieve “smaller” process nodes (both in cost of fab tech and he cost to fabricate itself) has me in a position where I think the era of general-purpose processor improvement through things like node changes is slowly approaching the end. Nvidia has managed to understand this rather quickly and made moves to avoid hitting that wall, by both introducing specialized cores in their GPUs for big performance gains (see: RT and Tensor cores) and finding ways to use those cores across a huge number of the industries/markets it operates in (see example: Tensor cores for AI computation in auto and robotics re-purposed for gaming with DLSS and other similar features). But even that technique of finding broad use for specialized cores will likely reach a wall sooner or later without some serious ingenuity, and that’s just the GPU side of things. Application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs) have already seen some pretty thorough use in electronics, but that will see greater expansion and/or we’ll see even more intense specialization through accelerator cores that may eventually lead to application-specific CPU and GPU designs that will not be broadly applied across industries. You can also see a preview of that with Nintendo needing a custom design due to the A78AE CPU in Orin possessing features not applicable to gaming, but I expect such customization to get more and more intense and fragmented as time moves on, until we’re free of the limits of silicon chip fabrication.
I suspect the next major GPU design will be a rasterizer/ray tracing chiplet. as we denote more power to RT, an RT specific gpu that has no raster acceleration pared with its inverse for legacy would make the most sense

If this hardware is launching in May then we should start to hear about manufacturing in Dec-Jan. If by then we aren't starting to hear real chatter out of the rumour mill then I (note O am saying me, others are free to disagree) would begin to doubt a H1 launch. Between having to increase hardware guidance and increase manufacturing capacity, software needing to be prepped and general industry chatter it is hard to think we reach feb for a device launching in May and have no additional info. I know Nintendo keeps a tight ship but manufacturing has lead times that can't be ignored.

So we'll see I suppose. I hope it is May but I do expect to start hearing chatter soon if that is the case.
We began hearing about manufacturing in July-August with claims of test production having started in March-May (of 2022). Dev kits, or at least SDKs, in the wild since 2020.

In short, thankfully we're already beyond that point.

I suspect the next major GPU design will be a rasterizer/ray tracing chiplet. as we denote more power to RT, an RT specific gpu that has no raster acceleration pared with its inverse for legacy would make the most sense
I don’t really see that as RT is very sensitive to latency within the GPU itself. It would be stalling and consume a lot of processing power and time, leading to a decrease in the performance.

As I've said before, they'd be just as stupid TO launch hardware in May. As long as the hardware is out with or before Breath of the Wild 2, it'll be fine, but I don't believe a May release for one second.
Why would it be stupid? Sure, It's never been done before, but neither was releasing a console in March either.

Why would it be stupid? Sure, It's never been done before, but neither was releasing a console in March either.
Nintendo 3DS, the handheld that released before Nintendo Switch, launched in March...

So too did GBA, while GameBoy launched in April.

SNES launched in April in Europe, N64 March in Europe.

New 3DS released in February in Europe.

May releases so far have been New Nintendo 3DS XL in Korea and Nintendo GameCube in Europe. So May isn't unprecedented, but, to reiterate, comes after tax season and before holiday season, falls after Golden Week and generally has less consumer spending than March or April.

I should also note GameCube did awful in Europe and New Nintendo 3DS XL did bad in Korea, so I'm not sure they're evidence one way or the other. It is however true that they HAVE launched hardware in January (New Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Edition), February (New Nintendo 3DS, Europe), March (3DS), April (GB) and May(GCN, Europe.), so while I definitely doubt May, I don't think it's entirely impossible. Just a bit unlikely.

Last edited:
I would take all answers with a mountain of salt. We don’t really know the specs or timing of the next Nintendo hardware. We think we do, but we don’t. It’s just “informed” speculation.

And trying to straight like some assumptions for a 2028-2029 piece of hardware when the community can’t seem to get the next 12-months right seems pointless.
Timing is certainly still pretty nebulous but as far as specs are concerned we have a very, very good idea of what they are for this upcoming device. Based on hard factual evidence, not speculation.

I don’t really see that as RT is very sensitive to latency within the GPU itself. It would be stalling and consume a lot of processing power and time, leading to a decrease in the performance.
some methods of RT is more sensitive to memory latency. but if you're not transferring raster data to the RT portion, you minimize memory stalls. the issue is that we'd still be wasting area at some

right but this is beyond just a 4K60 mode, to find a need to actually use DLSS if it even needs it. Otherwise? Drake shouldn’t have much issue actually hitting 4K for a switch game.

There isn’t in that very specific scenario that will only happen once which is true, but assuming that they will definitely start doing high resolution + high framerate + high textures + higher AO + higher GI + higher etc is just setting oneself for disappointment or rather than disappointment a confusion. And even then, there’s only so much they can do before it borders a whole remaster which is something else entirely.

nah, i was takling about higher settings similar to what people are doing on emulators. The specific example being draw distance.

See, and I'm thinking we're going to see more acceleration of physics-related calculations that are usually taken up by the CPU, either with application-specific CPUs that accelerate physics calculations (I'm reading that GPUs are ill-equipped to perform certain physics calculations and must rely on the CPU because GPUs are only best at parallel processing), or the return of the PPU as a whole dedicated processor in an SoC designed to handle those calculations far more effortlessly.

Last edited:

It would probably be simplest to have the same max geometry for both, but even then having more of it on screen at once or at higher levels of detail for a given circumstance should be possible.

Would you look at a PS4 original of a later Switch downport as being a remaster? That's the kind of thing I'd think of for a game truly developed as a cross-gen title, versus one that's just a base Switch game allowed to run with better clarity.

Nintendo 3DS, the handheld that released before Nintendo Switch, launched in March...

So too did GBA, while GameBoy launched in April.

SNES launched in April in Europe, N64 March in Europe.

New 3DS released in February in Europe.

May releases so far have been New Nintendo 3DS XL in Korea and Nintendo GameCube in Europe. So May isn't unprecedented, but, to reiterate, comes after tax season and before holiday season, falls after Golden Week and generally has less consumer spending than March or April.

I should also note GameCube did awful in Europe and New Nintendo 3DS XL did bad in Korea, so I'm not sure they're evidence one way or the other. It is however true that they HAVE launched hardware in January (New Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Edition), February (New Nintendo 3DS, Europe), March (3DS), April (GB) and May(GCN, Europe.), so while I definitely doubt May, I don't think it's entirely impossible. Just a bit unlikely.
There’s all sorts of marketing synergy to be had by releasing your console with the most anticipated game in your companies history versus releasing it alone or with some C tier game. You want it to be a global event. Yes they’d sell out all they have without TotK but that’s not really the point.

The release month also makes absolutely no difference at all. We’re living in a different universe than when consoles were locked to certain times of the year for their launch.

question is why should we believe there are other options at the moment?
I don’t know. We can theorize lots of things. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

But, my goal with the question is to quantify said confidence.

If the odds are 1:1, it’s only a coin flip despite the wording being “very very” high confidence. If it’s 10:1, the it’s a difference conclusion.

I don’t know. We can theorize lots of things. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

If the odds are 1:1, it’s only a coin flip despite the wording being “very very” high confidence. If it’s 10:1, the it’s a difference conclusion.
to that end, the confidence is very high. given the absence of evidence, we have to take that at face value. not only that, the Nvidia leak explicitly links the T239 to the NVN2 api. coincidental, but you have to jump through a lot of hoops justify how that doesn't have to do with NVN, the api for the switch. hell, you have to jump through some hoops to justify the T239's existence if not for a game console

The odds that the specs that were stolen from Nvidia servers, will be significantly altered in the final silicon are imo a lot closer to 10:1 than 1:1.

Their question was specifically "assuming the timing" - @mariodk18 wasn't asking about Nintendo's hardware decisions, they were asking about the expected state of the industry. Which yu are right, hard to predict! But macro trends are easier than micro ones. I would be more confident about a 5 year assessment of the industry than a 2 year.

I was literally just writing "I'd take 10:1" when you posted this. 10:1 on calling the entire SOC design, sans clocks, 5:1 on having the clocks within 10%, 2:1 on being able to call the memory amount.

I was in a store today which reopened. They had several offers to celebrate. The OLED Switch was 288€ down from 333€ and people were ripping them off the shelves.
The Splatoon OLED sold out after 2 month, the Pokémon OLED sold out after 2 weeks…

I had the Switch day one and of course the OLED day one. I can’t wait for drake to launch but then there are is still a market for the same old Tegra X1. In some way I envy those who joined with the OLED Switch. Imagine the library of games in front of them, often with discounted prices, compared to back in 2017 when I bought Hamster ports/emulators just to have something on my system.

I think we’re all hoping for drake to bring Switch games to an even better level. But then Series X and PS5 launched and the games still stuck on PS4.

With TotK and Pikmin4 I have hopes for a release in 2023 including games that use the capabilities of a new system, but seeing all these people today “fighting” for the OLED was giving me a different perception of my believe Nintendo need to update the Switch.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom