• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Putting upgrades on the expansion pass would be ideal when compared to my expectation. All I know is that Nintendo doesn't work for free and they know that most people are picking up the new hardware for exclusive titles
Nintendo very frequently "works for free". That's a big component of their post-release support strategies for many games at this point. Free patches that add content or features are not uncommon. Drake support patches would be no different.

At the same time, will it be the most effective use of their resources to update earlier Switch titles to take advantage of new hardware? We don't know how many people are needed to patch old titles. Most likely it would be only recent or upcoming titles that will be given cross-gen support.

At the same time, will it be the most effective use of their resources to update earlier Switch titles to take advantage of new hardware? We don't know how many people are needed to patch old titles. Most likely it would be only recent or upcoming titles that will be given cross-gen support.
Modders have been unlocking games after release so it's possible. Unless you need a texture update or something.

And engine work takes time, quite some time. How many next gen games have you guys seen released on the new hardware with all its features? Like…. 10? Most games are still built around legacy and it’s already been two years since the PS5 and Series launched to the world. UE5 is still a mess. We haven’t seen next Gen Resident Evil game, so RE Engine version is still set for around the legacy hardware. Activision has 4 different types of engines and the recent one is still cross-gen.
I know you posted this a while ago, but had something to say about it.
I've actively argued this point before when talking about PS4 games coming to Switch (or not). Game ports demand making 1 of 2 choices: you either add compatibility for the entire engine or you de-construct a game outside of that engine and repeat that process for every game. In rare cases, you'll see partial engine compatibility (see: MHR).

If the next Switch makes compatibility with engines and their full feature sets still currently in use by "next-gen" games in 2023 into a less labour-intensive process (and considering the tech in it will put the advanced features of UE5 potentially in its reach, it absolutely should be), it opens up the opportunity for ports and/or day-one releases of certain future games rather wide.
Here's a brief (and likely incomplete) list of engines that could be ported over with all relevant features/toolkits and the games using them (or likely to use them) for PS4 cross-gen releases:

Capcom RE Engine
Atlus "P-Studio"* Engine
Koei Tecmo's various unnamed engines
Sega's Dragon Engine (because Yokoyama doesn't call the shots, Sega does)
Square Enix's Luminous Engine/FFXIV* Engine
  • Exoprimal
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Dragon's Dogma 2
  • RE4 Remake
  • Project Re:Fantasy
  • Persona 6
  • Like a Dragon 8
  • Like a Dragon Gaiden
  • Final Fantasy XVI (allegedly was coming to PS4 but was scrapped by SIE money)
  • Wo Long
And this is without mentioning the games being built on UE4/5 to PS4 spec that become eligible, as well, as are past releases on these engines as late ports.

If Drake achieving technical parity with a standard PS4 is assured (as it seemingly is) and addressable markets for PS5/XBS software are so weak that PS4 releases are happening well into 2024, it stands to reason that engine conversions to Drake are going to be a high priority for a number of publishers.

* engine is not officially named, so it is named after regularly-used nomenclature

I'll never understand this forum's need for constant reassurance. Nothing has changed in the past few months, we've only gotten more hard evidence that this exists.
Nate heard some thing though :p

Good things, bad things, neutral things? We may never know.

And a third person (Emily Rogers) allegedly said Nintendo is waiting out the chip shortage.

While there is a gradual improvement in semiconductor and other component supplies and a recovery trend in hardware manufacturing for Nintendo Switch, taking into consideration production and sales performances thus far, we have modified the Nintendo Switch hardware sales units forecast for the fiscal year.

Just if someone is interested, it seems that Nintendo is beginning to aknowledge that the chip shortage is easing up - not quite yet, but definitely seems that the situation is better now and they expect it to continue to improve, which, in light of Emily's comment, can shed some hope to those looking for any grasp of news.

I dont think it will bother me how much a new stronger Switch device is going to cost , just want it to be real and available for purchase sooner rather than later

For those of you looking for any kind of sign that new hardware is coming, we have Nintendo opening a new R&D subsidiary and doing some housecleaning of their European subsidiaries. Last time they did updating to their corporate backend, it was buying Jesnet and turning it into a wholly-owned Japanese distributor in 2016 and finalized in April of 2017.

I dont think it will bother me how much a new stronger Switch device is going to cost , just want it to be real and available for purchase sooner rather than later
A lot of us here are Uber enthusiasts who woundnt mind paying 100$ extra for a much more powerful device that is better suited for third party support.

We are far from Nintendos targeted audience,

A lot of us here are Uber enthusiasts who woundnt mind paying 100$ extra for a much more powerful device that is better suited for third party support.

I'd say we are the prime target audience for Drake for quite some time until they phase out the old versions.

I'm more of a Lyft man, myself.

DLAA's performance penalty is smaller than DLSS's, it's just not countered by a performance win by dropping the internal res. They're the same pipeline, DLAA is just running DLSS where the output and the input resolution are the same. DLSS performance scales with the upscaling factor, DLAA is DLSS as a 0% scaling factor, as fast as it is capable of running.

My point (poorly made) was that tensor core performance scales with GPU performance. If, in docked mode, you're running a game at 1080p internal, 4k output, then at 50% of that GPU, you should be able to render 720p internal at the same frame rate, which should be able to run DLAA (DLSS at 0% scaling) even at half the tensor core performance.

If, however, your performance gap doesn't match your internal resolution gap between handheld and docked mode, you get crunched from both sides. DLSS upscaling time goes up as tensor performance goes down, so if your handheld performance isn't enough to do 720p at the same frame rate, you need to upscale, but your upscaling process is running at reduced speed as well.
I am aware that they are the same pipeline. However, DLAA has a performance penalty associated to it, it still has to do the calculations of what is on the screen to apply the anti-aliasing to. It’s not for free is the point I’m making here. And because it is not for free is also why I am jumping off of this point to make another point: I do not see a reason for them to go with DLAA over simply using DLSS, bringing it up to the portable mode native screen resolution, and save performance in that situation. (And battery life)

If they want a native 720p, and using DLAA as the anti-aliasing there, then that’s a different story.

But they’ll have to account for the non-negligible cost required for DLAA.

It can be a few ms, but a few ms on a 3090 is not the same thing that would happen for a system like Drake.

In my opinion for a system like it, Drake, every single frame is going to matter and count versus on PC where it does not matter because it is whatever you want it to be. Reducing the cost of having to render at a target resolution is already saving performance and reducing how much optimization is needed to get a target frame rate.

I’m not saying DLSS is a “get out of jail free” card for developers, what I am arguing with DLSS>DLAA is that it is aiding the process of working with Drake to reduce the load.

Which saves cost of development.
I know you posted this a while ago, but had something to say about it.
I've actively argued this point before when talking about PS4 games coming to Switch (or not). Game ports demand making 1 of 2 choices: you either add compatibility for the entire engine or you de-construct a game outside of that engine and repeat that process for every game. In rare cases, you'll see partial engine compatibility (see: MHR).

If the next Switch makes compatibility with engines and their full feature sets still currently in use by "next-gen" games in 2023 into a less labour-intensive process (and considering the tech in it will put the advanced features of UE5 potentially in its reach, it absolutely should be), it opens up the opportunity for ports and/or day-one releases of certain future games rather wide.
Here's a brief (and likely incomplete) list of engines that could be ported over with all relevant features/toolkits and the games using them (or likely to use them) for PS4 cross-gen releases:

Capcom RE Engine
Atlus "P-Studio"* Engine
Koei Tecmo's various unnamed engines
Sega's Dragon Engine (because Yokoyama doesn't call the shots, Sega does)
Square Enix's Luminous Engine/FFXIV* Engine
  • Exoprimal
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Dragon's Dogma 2
  • RE4 Remake
  • Project Re:Fantasy
  • Persona 6
  • Like a Dragon 8
  • Like a Dragon Gaiden
  • Final Fantasy XVI (allegedly was coming to PS4 but was scrapped by SIE money)
  • Wo Long
And this is without mentioning the games being built on UE4/5 to PS4 spec that become eligible, as well, as are past releases on these engines as late ports.

If Drake achieving technical parity with a standard PS4 is assured (as it seemingly is) and addressable markets for PS5/XBS software are so weak that PS4 releases are happening well into 2024, it stands to reason that engine conversions to Drake are going to be a high priority for a number of publishers.

* engine is not officially named, so it is named after regularly-used nomenclature
Thinking about it, in hindsight Drake getting a bespoke port (so attention to itself) has its own share of benefits to it. You’d get more unique optimization rather than being seen as the “other” option when focus is on two other platforms and you get series S scenarios…. left to the curb…

hey guys with creatures inc confirming the switch pro do you think we will see it announced at the game awards?
1) Huh?

and

2) No. They're not gonna announce anything that major there. Seems likely we'll be waiting until around February to hear about it.

Will be all there for Switch 2 when it arrives, but I'm completely burned out on trying to read the tea leaves. Thanks for the interesting reads these past years, y'all 🥰.

Thinking about it, in hindsight Drake getting a bespoke port (so attention to itself) has its own share of benefits to it. You’d get more unique optimization rather than being seen as the “other” option when focus is on two other platforms and you get series S scenarios…. left to the curb…
Ehh, don't think people care about bespoke-ness of ports, they care that the games exist on the hardware they own.
And with Nintendo's impenetrable dominion over the Japanese/Asian console market and how well it performs in all regions, at least as far as Japanese publishers are concerned, I don't think there is a worry of a "Series S scenario", as you put it.

I gotta swallow my words at this point y'all. Switch successor feels like a 2023 release at this point.

Or....they completely replace the red box with OLED and wait a little longer.

You know, thinking about it, this is actually a very good timeframe to release an improved model.

Splatoon 3 is fresh, and a future evergreen, it gets support until 2024 with a potential big DLC campaign in 2023.
Xenoblade 3 is also rather fresh, and see's the big expansion release end of 2023.
Mario Kart gets extended support via the Booster Course pack throughout 2023.
They have a fresh new FE in launching pod for 2023.

That all on top of the soon launching Pokemon game, which is prolly the most exciting release of a mainline game since years due to the big changes and what's most likely the most awaited sequel with TotK coming up "early" 2023.

You basically have exciting new releases that are definitely hitting the consumer interest and a lot of evergreen-ish titles enjoying active support where getting a Drake patch wouldn't be any issue.

And i didn't even include rumored or theorized about stuff like Metroid Prime 1 Remakester or the next mainline 3D Mario game into this thought.
And probably forgot some announced games too. ^^

I gotta swallow my words at this point y'all. Switch successor feels like a 2023 release at this point.

Or....they completely replace the red box with OLED and wait a little longer.

Let me cross-quote my post from the General Discussion. I think H1 2023 is literally the perfect spot to release it.

They have enough software, both new and evergreens, already to have an attractive line-up. And that is without rumored stuff or early 2023 announcements.

Imo it's more of a question of when to launch it in H1 2023 and nothing else right now.

$450 USD is looking like $607.18 CAD with current exchange rates, before taxes.

Coming to nearly $700 after taxes in the Canadian market...fuck. I'm seriously starting to doubt if I'll even want to put a pre-order down in the first six months on the market if that's the price. I don't want to buy in on this if there's even so much as a slight risk to hardware build quality on the same level of catastrophic failure with joy con drift. Nintendo still may not want to acknowledge it due to the ongoing lawsuit, but then I can't also see them explain in plain English that they learned from their mistake and course corrected where needed.

with Nintendo stating that production is better, Emily's comment about Nintendo waiting until shortages subside works better because it's already starting

Let me cross-quote my post from the General Discussion. I think H1 2023 is literally the perfect spot to release it.

They have enough software, both new and evergreens, already to have an attractive line-up. And that is without rumored stuff or early 2023 announcements.

Imo it's more of a question of when to launch it in H1 2023 and nothing else right now.
I think the March dream is over, actually. It wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to decrease their hardware forecast from 21 million to 19 million for this FY, if they were planning to release a new hardware model.

So in my opinion, the only possible months for Drake are April and May.

Coming to nearly $700 after taxes in the Canadian market...fuck. I'm seriously starting to doubt if I'll even want to put a pre-order down in the first six months on the market if that's the price. I don't want to buy in on this if there's even so much as a slight risk to hardware build quality on the same level of catastrophic failure with joy con drift. Nintendo still may not want to acknowledge it due to the ongoing lawsuit, but then I can't also see them explain in plain English that they learned from their mistake and course corrected where needed.

I actually ended up buying an oled while on business in Texas. I saw it was widely available in Canada but with the exchange rate at the time, it wouldn't be worth it. I ended up saving about $50-$75 because I had some USD lying around at the time.

Also, I bought a 64GB steam deck in CAD. Amazing handheld and all, but damn the exchange rate took it up to $550. I dunno man, this Canadian economy is something else.

oh u didnt hear the news?

This is a neat find, but it doesn't confirm a Switch 2. That the job responsibilities of a 3D modeler would include working on future hardware is hardly surprising or strange, and it's listed among "other duties" separate from game dev.

It would be more interesting if anyone had a prior job listing to compare it to - we've seen this in the past, where job listings look enticing but someone finds that it's just boilerplate.

This is a neat find, but it doesn't confirm a Switch 2. That the job responsibilities of a 3D modeler would include working on future hardware is hardly surprising or strange, and it's listed among "other duties" separate from game dev.

It would be more interesting if anyone had a prior job listing to compare it to - we've seen this in the past, where job listings look enticing but someone finds that it's just boilerplate.

While it doesn't necessarily confirm the switch 2...you can reasonably infer that there is a next gen console being made and that Creatures is looking to develop their next game on said console.

I doubt Creature will develop a game for Microsoft or Sony since Nintendo owns 1/3rd of the company. We can atleast believe that the next gen console is the next gen switch.

While it doesn't necessarily confirm the switch 2...you can reasonably infer that there is a next gen console being made and that Creatures is looking to develop their next game on said console.
Yes, a thing they've done since the DS :)

Nintendo is definitely making another console, and Creatures will definitely make a game for it. I'm saying that mentioning this in the job description doesn't give us new information about either.

This listing doesn't really provide any new information, but we know Creatures has been looking at stuff like RT.

Ah, good old financial results days. Just an absolutely massive amount of stuff being speculated about when it has no bearing whatsoever on new hardware. And the $500 price delusion continues.

Edit: Actually, skimming the last few pages, it seems like even the price and shipment forecasts discussion might actually be an improvement.

Last edited:
Ehh, don't think people care about bespoke-ness of ports, they care that the games exist on the hardware they own.
And with Nintendo's impenetrable dominion over the Japanese/Asian console market and how well it performs in all regions, at least as far as Japanese publishers are concerned, I don't think there is a worry of a "Series S scenario", as you put it.
Oh no, don’t get me wrong, my point of posting that was about western titles not Japanese titles, and it was about games coming to the hardware they own but it’s treated with extra care to hit a target framerate. But only because it’s by itself, and in cases that optimization would help the other devices anyway.

An example is something like Ark Survival.

I hear you. All this uncertainty is making it hard to decide what to do with my Optimum points stash lol (hm just now noticed they have a PS5 bundle available online - haven't seen that before)

Oh yea, all of those things I mentioned are 100% Twitter announcements.

As for TGAs, they are always a possibility. We could get a Zelda or Metroid trailer. Or just a commercial like last year. Anything is on the table.
Maybe a yearly reminder that Nintendo Switch Has Games?

Regarding supply issues, this most recent quarter is possibly the first where more PS5s were shipped than Switches. But since Sony and Nintendo give different numbers of digits, the apparent difference could be in the rounding. At any rate, really close.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Switch 2 ends up being $449 minimum.

It's become my go-to guess. If $50 increments are the only ones majorly considered, and with inflation $400 in 2023 would already be essentially the same thing as OLED launch, $450 becomes the next possible step.
I am aware that they are the same pipeline. However, DLAA has a performance penalty associated to it, it still has to do the calculations of what is on the screen to apply the anti-aliasing to. It’s not for free is the point I’m making here. And because it is not for free is also why I am jumping off of this point to make another point: I do not see a reason for them to go with DLAA over simply using DLSS, bringing it up to the portable mode native screen resolution, and save performance in that situation. (And battery life)
The goal of Switch has generally been same look, same frame rate, just different resolution. Unless they want to break that and make portable the "lower resolution but higher frame rate" option, there's only so much performance they need to match the home version with a ridiculously lower resolution. Doing less than that for greater battery life is still a valid choice, though.
Yes, but "company planning for the future" just doesn't say much of anything we didn't know. If the job listing was "Shit, we've got to hire someone for this next-gen project due next year", that would tell us something.

I don’t really get what changed in the thought that people now think new hardware is coming because of this.

Hardware comes when it’s ready, not when the sales start dying. We’ve been over this before. If it happens to be ready for next year then it will release next year.

PS3 had no reason to come out with the PS2 selling like it did. Nor did the 3DS.

Their successors came for different reasons altogether. Hell, the switch was late for the Wii U who was dead in the water for a long while already, and the Wii U was late for the Wii who was dead in the water by the time it released.

The goal of Switch has generally been same look, same frame rate, just different resolution. Unless they want to break that and make portable the "lower resolution but higher frame rate" option, there's only so much performance they need to match the home version with a ridiculously lower resolution. Doing less than that for greater battery life is still a valid choice, though.

It doesn’t necessarily need to be a high framerate though. Even at 30FPS, DLAA could prevent it from being a smooth 30.

Though if RT is enabled, there’s less of a reason to use DLAA over DLSS at a lower res to maintain a target framerate and good enough image quality there imo.

I'm glad that Switch sales are slowing down. Let's get going Nintendo. This system is so damn old and can barely run current games.

Eh, it’s all relative.

You say slowing down, but it will sell this year what ps4 sold it’s peak year.

And let’s not even get into how insane the engagement/game sales are right now.

Well, "them" in this case is the developer, not Nintendo. PS5 Miracle Porters can do whatever crazy thing they want, but I was referring to PS4 era ports. A game which can run Performance Mode 4k should be able to run 720p+DLAA at half the gpu, resulting in identical IQ, sans res.

That's because DLSS performance doesn't scale linearly with the DLSS upscaling factor - 2x upscaling is not twice as fast as 4x upscaling, 1x upscaling is. 1x upscaling is DLAA. DLSS isn't free either, it just looks free because it hides its cost in the performance wins of the lower internal resolutions. You don't need to factor in DLAA time if you are already factoring in DLSS time.

If for some reason handheld is less than half the GPU, then the math starts to get trickier for the same reason. 540p+DLSS is not necessarily faster than native 720p at low enough clocks.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom