• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

According to the Nintendo Website it does support it. Furthermore, if Drake is going to be a direct follow up towards the Switch I would think that because Nintendo wants to make the profiles a living thing that moves around you can move your Switch profile to the Drake with the save files that can.

Based on most rumours the Drake will also be able to play Switch games backwards so.

My mistake, I was convinced it didn't support cloud save, I will have to check when I'm back home and make a back up, always paranoid about my Sunbreak save.

Ok, so I am fully in team March 2023 for the launch of new hardware.

• Fiscal year ends March 2023 so Nintendo will want to get a nice boost at the end of the year.
  • Zelda is coming out in May. They have shown very little at this point.
  • Pikmin 4 was announced with 0 gameplay. That game is begging for new hardware as it will no doubt look gorgeous.
  • Nintendo always has a game for March, and it is usually a big game at that. Nothing has been announced for March. This is a gamble, but I am betting on Metroid Prime 1 HD being the March game. Nintendo wants that reveal to show off the new hardware.
  • While I admit, this is not uncommon for Nintendo, they only have one game dated after February and another with a "2023" window. I really think that Nintendo is holding out for a January reveal with a blowout of games.
I will bookmark this post so I can laugh at it next March when none of this comes true.

Ok, so I am fully in team March 2023 for the launch of new hardware.

• Fiscal year ends March 2023 so Nintendo will want to get a nice boost at the end of the year.
  • Zelda is coming out in May. They have shown very little at this point.
  • Pikmin 4 was announced with 0 gameplay. That game is begging for new hardware as it will no doubt look gorgeous.
  • Nintendo always has a game for March, and it is usually a big game at that. Nothing has been announced for March. This is a gamble, but I am betting on Metroid Prime 1 HD being the March game. Nintendo wants that reveal to show off the new hardware.
  • While I admit, this is not uncommon for Nintendo, they only have one game dated after February and another with a "2023" window. I really think that Nintendo is holding out for a January reveal with a blowout of games.
I will bookmark this post so I can laugh at it next March when none of this comes true.
this is a fun thing to think, but what would it launch with in March? I've seen Pikmin suggested, but that seems optimistic to me

I hope it comes out for Drake, but we all know that itโ€™s probably going to be the cloud version
Capcom probably has Drake devkits so if RE4 remake gets a Cloud version on... Drake, then consider me bamboozled.

To be fair few games dont change much, but sooner or later Nintendo will stop supporting older hardware and focus only on next gen,
than we also have full next gen Nintendo games that doesnt need to be able to work on current Switch models also.
I think that around 2-3 years after Drake Nintendo will stop releasing games for current Switch models.
They let 3DS software continue for 2-3 years, but this time there's less reason to stop.
this is a fun thing to think, but what would it launch with in March? I've seen Pikmin suggested, but that seems optimistic to me
If Pikmin 4 was going to be a major launch title in March, no way they wouldn't have just saved it for the Drake reveal in the near future. No reason to show the logo now.

I dont think Nintendo will keep releasing games for current Switch versions past 2025. because they will want to focus only on next gen hardware in one point and they will want people upgrade to next gen hardware by that time, also they will have new next gen hardware revisions (Drake Lite, Drake V2, Drake something..) by that time and start planning some upgraded version..
Nintendo has a pretty wide range of output, and some of it just doesn't need more powerful hardware than the Switch. Ports from older systems obviously don't need more power, and a lot of smaller titles like Mario Party, WarioWare, and Famicom Detective Club are already well within the Switch's limits. Historically, Nintendo tends to continue supporting a system so long as people keep buying the games, and I expect that to be the case here, as well.

Nintendo dosen't use footage from unreleased hardware. Why would they? Games engines/APIs/Tools evolve and improve over time. It's not that complicated why it looks better.
Sorry if somebody answered this, but watch some gameplay for the Atelier games by KT/Gust. Much of what we are seeing is kind of in line with what they deliver. At least thatโ€™s my take

You can see an improvement but I wouldn't call it a generational leap. Seems inline with the jump from XBC2 -> XBC3.

I suspect that if they were featuring a game running on Next Gen hardware, they wouldn't drop that footage here and then release it well before the hardware itself. Invites too many comparisons or questions.

Oh, I don't mean it like that, I have never been in the camp of wow, this look too good for the Switch, the footage must be of the Pro/2 version. I just mean it looks too good compared to the previous game so I'm wondering how it happened BTS, did they get better at the development or they got a huge help from Nintendo's core team like EPD/Monolith Soft, and if the game is on Switch Pro/2 , what it gonna be looking like, probably even more beautiful.

It's not just me that thinks launching in May with TotK is, like, the most obvious outcome right? Occam's razor and all that.

My main reason for picking March is Nintendo wanting to get it out before the end of FY.

Launching with Zelda isn't improbable though. The May date just feels weird to me.

Quoted by: MP!
My main reason for picking March is Nintendo wanting to get it out before the end of FY.

Launching with Zelda isn't improbable though. The May date just feels weird to me.
I love the idea of launching before march but I don't think their projections necessarily indicate new hardware this fiscal year

I looked up the listing for Pokรฉmon Violet on Nintendoโ€™s website before I posted that. It says Publisher: Nintendo.

Also, my position was simply that Nintendo probably doesnโ€™t have no say, which was your claim, not that Nintendo can โ€œboss aroundโ€ The Pokรฉmon Company. I donโ€™t know why you put that in quotes.
Nintendo publishes the game in the west, but not Japan.

Anyway, nintendo does have a say, to help with release planning, but they do leave pokemon to their own devices for the most part
Oh, I don't mean it like that, I have never been in the camp of wow, this look too good for the Switch, the footage must be of the Pro/2 version. I just mean it looks too good compared to the previous game so I'm wondering how it happened BTS, did they get better at the development or they got a huge help from Nintendo's core team like EPD/Monolith Soft, and if the game is on Switch Pro/2 , what it gonna be looking like, probably even more beautiful.
They might have moved to gust's engine instead of the dogshit musou engine

Who said Nintendo wasnโ€™t releasing anything this fiscal year?
I don't think anyone definitively stated it, but with ToTK falling outside that period, and Nate's range of H1 I can see why some are guessing it might fall out of the FY.
It's not just me that thinks launching in May with TotK is, like, the most obvious outcome right? Occam's razor and all that.
It's my guess as well, though if Pikmin 4 were to be launching before (unlikely imo since there was no date given) it might be a contender.

Announce in March (end of FY, sales don't flatline so early in Q4), release in May (start of FY and early Q1, sales pick back up) with flagship game (TotK)

re: Pikmin 4 - itโ€™s possible the weirdness around its announcement is Drake related. However -

I think itโ€™s more likely that 2023 is their optimistic goal, and the game got announced earlier because Pikmin is part of their ongoing brand strategy. Pikmin could be their Rabbids, Miyamoto loves them, and heโ€™s in charge of the theme parks and franchising. Theyโ€™re sticking them in the parks, theyโ€™ve got an ARG, I guarantee there are hidden Pikmin in the Mario movie.

The moment was right for Pikmin announcement, the game was in full production, so it got announced, but itโ€™s just not in a showable state and the release date is soft.

Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 were in a similar boat - Nintendo wanted a string of regular announcements about โ€œgames which gamers playโ€ in those early days of Switch when they were trying to shake the โ€œNintendo is for casualsโ€ reputation.

As for Zelda - I donโ€™t know what Nintendoโ€™s plan is, but it seems inevitable the device will launch in the neighborhood of May, not because of Zelda, but because when else could it? I expect a 2-3 month window between announcement and release, and no announcement this year. That just leaves Q2.

Very curious in 5 years when lips loosen enough to know if the launch timing for Zelda and Drake influenced each other at all

re: Pikmin 4 - itโ€™s possible the weirdness around its announcement is Drake related. However -

I think itโ€™s more likely that 2023 is their optimistic goal, and the game got announced earlier because Pikmin is part of their ongoing brand strategy. Pikmin could be their Rabbids, Miyamoto loves them, and heโ€™s in charge of the theme parks and franchising. Theyโ€™re sticking them in the parks, theyโ€™ve got an ARG, I guarantee there are hidden Pikmin in the Mario movie.

The moment was right for Pikmin announcement, the game was in full production, so it got announced, but itโ€™s just not in a showable state and the release date is soft.

Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 were in a similar boat - Nintendo wanted a string of regular announcements about โ€œgames which gamers playโ€ in those early days of Switch when they were trying to shake the โ€œNintendo is for casualsโ€ reputation.

As for Zelda - I donโ€™t know what Nintendoโ€™s plan is, but it seems inevitable the device will launch in the neighborhood of May, not because of Zelda, but because when else could it? I expect a 2-3 month window between announcement and release, and no announcement this year. That just leaves Q2.

Very curious in 5 years when lips loosen enough to know if the launch timing for Zelda and Drake influenced each other at all
Yeah, I definitely interpreted this as "2023! Maybe! At least we hope!" rather than intentionally being mysterious

This is discouraging to read, but it does make sense. We have reason to believe the game has only been in full development for roughly three years

They let 3DS software continue for 2-3 years, but this time there's less reason to stop.

You mean 2-3 years of 3DS software after Switch was out?

I mean there was transition period and 3DS was in a way low price Nintendo offer until Switch Lite arrived on market,
but in period of 2-3 years after Drake arives, Nintendo will probabblye release Switch "Drake" Lite revision.

Nintendo has a pretty wide range of output, and some of it just doesn't need more powerful hardware than the Switch. Ports from older systems obviously don't need more power, and a lot of smaller titles like Mario Party, WarioWare, and Famicom Detective Club are already well within the Switch's limits. Historically, Nintendo tends to continue supporting a system so long as people keep buying the games, and I expect that to be the case here, as well.

Like I wrote, to be fair few games dont change much, but sooner or later Nintendo will stop supporting older hardware and focus only on next gen,
than we also have full next gen Nintendo games that doesnt need to be able to work on current Switch models also.

Actually Historically Nintendo usually stop supporting previous system when new system arrived on market, at least when we talking about home consoles,
of course this time different situation because there will not clean break after new hardware arrives on market.

I wish console makers would release earlier in the year more often. Why force people buying Christmas/Hanukah presents to compete with early adopters and hardcore fans?

Pikmin 4 is the same like Animal Crossing. Iโ€™m surprised at people even thinking itโ€™ll come early. Itโ€™s a August or September title.

Resident Evil 4 just shows how much "X game is coming out for the current system! Next gen can wait" doesn't matter. Old hardware/software paradigms don't matter anymore

I feel like new Switch hardware is just as likely to launch with a new Mario game (which we haven't seen for a suspiciously long time) a la Mario 64/New Super Mario Bros U etc... Obv the eggs are just being put in the Zelda basket bc of BOTW/Switch launch but 2D/3D Mario are just as likely imo for a huge launch game

I mean there was transition period and 3DS was in a way low price Nintendo offer until Switch Lite arrived on market,
but in period of 2-3 years after Drake arives, Nintendo will probabblye release Switch "Drake" Lite revision.

Like I wrote, to be fair few games dont change much, but sooner or later Nintendo will stop supporting older hardware and focus only on next gen,

Actually Historically Nintendo usually stop supporting previous system when new system arrived on market, at least when we talking about home consoles,
of course this time different situation because there will not clean break after new hardware arrives on market.
It really tracks more with the system's continued success than the form factor. Famicom and Super Famicom were both supported forever.

I have a feeling that due to Nintendoโ€™s pervasiveness in these communities but just in silence, as in they know what goes on and know it well but do not communicate, hell they could be someone in this thread for all we know and just not reveal anything. Anyway, I believe they are keenly aware that the community expects to see TOTK and a potential Switch Pro/2 launch, so they will literally not do that.

And people expecting the TOTK and a Switch launch are being lead into a trap. A trap that they can lead people into that direction of expectation.

Only to launch it at another time with a different game and aim to โ€œsurpriseโ€ people.

I have a feeling that due to Nintendoโ€™s pervasiveness in these communities but just in silence, as in they know what goes on and know it well but do not communicate, hell they could be someone in this thread for all we know and just not reveal anything. Anyway, I believe they are keenly aware that the community expects to see TOTK and a potential Switch Pro/2 launch, so they will literally not do that.

And people expecting the TOTK and a Switch launch are being lead into a trap. A trap that they can lead people into that direction of expectation.

Only to launch it at another time with a different game and aim to โ€œsurpriseโ€ people.
Yeah that's an interesting point. Also a bit surprising they even gave us the date for TotK, though maybe that was because "just another teaser" at this point might have gotten people a bit upset.

Unless they're trying to double psych us out, they know we'll say "well no way are they launching Drake that day since everyone expects that" so to surprise everyone they'll do just that.

1037419.jpg

I don't know, this feels like overthinking things a bit. The hardware may or may not release alongside TotK, but I don't think Nintendo is trying to play 4D chess with their announcements like this.

Maybe, but if a game doesn't demand it, why drastically lower the potential userbase to sell it to, especially if it won't have any benefit to Drake users. A GBA game was always going to be very lacking on DS, not taking advantage of the screen or buttons available. Same for DS on 3DS, GCN on Wii, and Wii on Wii U. Doesn't seem like Switch->Drake poses any such basic issue.

We're nearly 2 years out from PS5/Series launches, and we're still seeing even AAA games being announced for PS4/One, let alone the smaller scale games I'm mostly thinking of long term.

I don't know, this feels like overthinking things a bit. The hardware may or may not release alongside TotK, but I don't think Nintendo is trying to play 4D chess with their announcements like this.
Not necessarily 4D chess, just that their history isnโ€™t opposed to surprising their audience from time to time. A lot of people expect the game to launch with hardware May 12, Nintendo could literally just have it with a different title that is set for a different date and surprise people with that game instead.

Disappoint some because it wasnโ€™t with Zelda and surprise others I guess because itโ€™s with a different game title.

Is it possible for Nintendo to have a day and date (i.e. TotK launch day) for Drake this far in advance? I assumed it wouldn't have been due to component shortages, and that there'd be either another or no launch game. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Or are we thinking it'd be within the same week? I can only imagine the nightmare of trying to get a Drake console and a TotK special edition, RIP my F5 key.

Guess we need to be serious all the time now.

That's not the reason...

To create a better mobile experience, pinned thread titles need to be a little shorter or everything will just look cluttered on your phone. Keep in mind that this thread didn't get stickied/pinned until 1 day ago. Hence why the thread's title wasn't touched until now.

FYI: Bellydrum asked @Dakhil for permission before removing the long subtitle. So if Dakhil wants the old subtitle back, Bellydrum would be happy to add it back.

Resident evil 4 is crossgen

Really weird it's not coming out for Xbone. I'm guessing PS4 isn't running too hot. I can't imagine it going lower than 900p.. Does any PS4 game run at 720p?

I'm guessing this is one of the first made for next gen cross ports, with PS4 and SD being the bare minimum for acceptable play.

Strong possibility of being on Drake though (imagine motion controls)..Maybe an RE collection of the cloud games too at native.

The way I see it, Switch Pro releases alongside either Prime HD in March or Tears of the Kingdom in May. I don't really think there's another meaningful option unless we see the device push into H2 2023, which doesn't feel super likely to me with Zelda being dated this far out.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom