• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I don’t mind if it ends up coming spring next year. I just want someone to pull the plug on or confirm if this year is possible. We’ll have peace of mind. I think the possibility of it still coming this year is what’s making everything so stressful and exciting.
Nothing is going to outright deconfirm it. But every month with no announcement or no major leak/ article lessens the odds.

While I believe that Mochizuki knows less than he claims, he definitely knows things and him using "2" isn't innocent.

He's a professional reporter working at a (i think) respected outlet with Bloomberg.

Of course he has sources within production and development, though the question is how much they're willing to share with him.
Like ... he didn't pull naming Zynga in his last big report on this topic out of his ass, but you have to expect it damaged some connections.

While I certainly understand the desire for updates and summaries and all that, I honestly think that kind of thing does more harm than good in a thread like this. At any moment any number of users can have a different opinion not just about where they stand but about which piece of evidence is really trustworthy or which piece of evidence leads to which conclusion. There is not and has never been a consensus on these things.

I know it's difficult but the information in this thread is constantly fluid and should always be treated as such, we're constantly getting new updates and new translations which tell us things that may or may not even be true.

So just enjoy the ride and stop trying to piece everything together at every moment. This is in general, not aimed at anyone in particular.

He's a professional reporter working at a (i think) respected outlet with Bloomberg.

Of course he has sources within production and development, though the question is how much they're willing to share with him.
Like ... he didn't pull naming Zynga in his last big report on this topic out of his ass, but you have to expect it damaged some connections.

He also has a tendency to extrapolate based on an incomplete set of information.

I have to admit, I'm a bit curious as to....why. Do you have a specifically sized bag you carry your Switch in that you can't get in a bigger size? Are you just such an enthusiast of "small, simple to use, sleek fun" hardware (hence the Apple comparisons) that the Switch moving away from that philosophy is legitimately a dealbreaker, just as much or potentially moreso than the software itself?
I am of the opinion that the Switch is already on the cusp of being too big. I've gotten very used to its size and accepted it as a compromise between being big enough to have a display of adequate size for tabletop mode (and, of course, house and cool its internals) and being small enough to still be within arm's reach of actual handheld size.

So I guess in summary I would say that it's already a smidge bigger than I would like, and I don't think I'll be able to adjust to it being even bigger and heavier.

It's been five years now, and longer since the TX1. Surely they ought to be able to put something more powerful in the same box. I know that Moore's law has slowed down a lot, but come on. I wasn't even looking for miracles, personally, just something a little bit more powerful in the same form factor that uses the same controllers.

I think they will not announce new SWITCH hardware before giving the Splatoon OLED edition a chance at the holidays starting from the 26th of August.
If they see it as a collector's item which will be bought by collectors anyway then September could be possible. Gives collectors and Splatoon die hards a month to get it before they hope to preorder the next iteration. July is a no no. Personally I think a January announcement is the most likely. But hey, who am I :)

It'll be the same size but with a convex back because of the chunky SOC, and they'll call it the Switch Bulge. The ads write themselves: "is that a Switch Bulge in your pocket, or a regular one?"

lolol sorry

I'd say we either see it by early september, or it'll be next year.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I'll be honest, I don't see new hardware being released or even announced this year anymore.

They're not going to announce anything before the Splatoon 3 OLED is out, and anything announced afterwards wouldn't make it in time/wouldn't have enough stock to be a major seller during the holidays.

And they wouldn't jeopardize their own sales by announcing but not releasing before the holidays.

I am of the opinion that the Switch is already on the cusp of being too big. I've gotten very used to its size and accepted it as a compromise between being big enough to have a display of adequate size for tabletop mode (and, of course, house and cool its internals) and being small enough to still be within arm's reach of actual handheld size.

So I guess in summary I would say that it's already a smidge bigger than I would like, and I don't think I'll be able to adjust to it being even bigger and heavier.

It's been five years now, and longer since the TX1. Surely they ought to be able to put something more powerful in the same box. I know that Moore's law has slowed down a lot, but come on. I wasn't even looking for miracles, personally, just something a little bit more powerful in the same form factor that uses the same controllers.
Those satisfye grips apparently help a lot with comfort.

I'd say we either see it by early september, or it'll be next year.
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
That might not mean much, I know a lot of people in the industry also read rumors and get confused between rumors and actual information often - that's also why industry sources can be wrong as well.

I'll be honest, I don't see new hardware being released or even announced this year anymore.

They're not going to announce anything before the Splatoon 3 OLED is out, and anything announced afterwards wouldn't make it in time/wouldn't have enough stock to be a major seller during the holidays.

And they wouldn't jeopardize their own sales by announcing but not releasing before the holidays.

I am shocked how most people think that manufacturing actually works.

Listen: Sony could have announced the PS5 in October 2020 and it wouldnt have changed a bit in stock, preorders etc.

This is the most short explanation to state and telling you that it doesnt change anything when they announce it…

I think they will not announce new SWITCH hardware before giving the Splatoon OLED edition a chance at the holidays starting from the 26th of August.
If they see it as a collector's item which will be bought by collectors anyway then September could be possible. Gives collectors and Splatoon die hards a month to get it before they hope to preorder the next iteration. July is a no no. Personally I think a January announcement is the most likely. But hey, who am I :)
Special Editions are for fans of an particular franchise. They don't compete with other consoles. And they will sell regarding what just because they are rare.

Neither Drake nor BotW2 need each other to sell well during launch.

This is ridiculous. I don’t think Sony even sold that many ps4 pro’s during the entire ps4 lifetime…and it was cheaper than the new Switch Drake will probably be.

They don’t need to rush Drake sales. It’s another model option just like the Lite or OLED.
It really depends on what goal Nintendo has with this new hardware.

I feel like it is a bit different this time. While the Lite or the OLED had mainly new buyers in mind, the Drake Switch would likely also be attractive to people who already own the switch and want more power. This is similar to the PS4 Pro, but it is possible that the interest in Drake is much higher.

Also with the investment in this new potential processor and specs Nintendo for sure wants to sell it to many people as possible.

Maybe they will really position it as iterative model with a few exclusives.

This would be much easier with an exciting new software title. It dosen‘t have to be BOTW 2 of course, but that title together on a new console would give it the right initial boost.

I’d love it if select future Nintendo games, such as Prime 4, were designed for Drake as the primary console and ported down to the OG Switch. Think Witcher 3 on PS4 vs Witcher 3 on Switch, or Doom in the same circumstances.

I’d love it if select future Nintendo games, such as Prime 4, were designed for Drake as the primary console and ported down to the OG Switch. Think Witcher 3 on PS4 vs Witcher 3 on Switch, or Doom in the same circumstances.
Nah. I want PS4 to PS5 situation. PS4 version still looks good, but PS5 version is much more technically advanced (Spider-Man, Horizon, GT7). Nintendo and partners know how to use every last drop of power from hardware.

Prime 4 has been in development since 2019,it has been made with Switch 1st in mind and there is no reason to focus more on the sub 10-20m userbase than the 100m userbase at the moment.

Last edited:
Because I’m an eternal optimist I’m interpreting the “2 early” tweet as:

“Switch 2” name confirmed.
Launching early.. this year.

@Raccoon, get a Switch lite bro.

I don't think a limited edition console is made to sell at Christmas. Usually there are bundles for that. It is aimed at Splatoon fans, which comes out in September. In addition, the console would have all the black friday available

Because I’m an eternal optimist I’m interpreting the “2 early” tweet as:

“Switch 2” name confirmed.
Launching early.. this year.

@Raccoon, get a Switch lite bro.
but the switch lite isn't a switch. I'm satisfied with the current sizing because it does both tabletop and handheld well. even if a lite did have a kickstand and detachable controllers, it would still be too small to enjoy it in tabletop

I don't know how that would work other than making those newer first party titles only playable via cloud on the base Switch, which I don't see happening. I would not be surprised to see third parties leverage that option though. Native releases on the Drake and cloud only on the base.

I don't know how that would work other than making those newer first party titles only playable via cloud on the base Switch, which I don't see happening. I would not be surprised to see third parties leverage that option though. Native releases on the Drake and cloud only on the base.
What’s the point of developing a game for a nieche since Switch Pro will never match OG Switch sales and then distributing it even via Cloud? too much money and time wasted for 3rd party devs

I don't think a limited edition console is made to sell at Christmas. Usually there are bundles for that. It is aimed at Splatoon fans, which comes out in September. In addition, the console would have all the black friday available
Nintendo always has 1/2 LE consoles to push people to buy other revisions of their consoles during holiday season, the most common example of this are Lite Pokemon LEs that one of their goals is to have a console for kids of parents of families that already have a Switch, the Lite gives the kid a console of their own of their favorite franchise to play games while the Switch of the family is in use and parents buy it because is the holiday gift of the kid. This is just one example but there have been multiple similar ones before and considering Splatoon popularity in Japan where sales have declined the most (it makes sense btw and Switch is having the best 6th year of any console ever) Splatoon 3 OLED can and probably will be the console Switch OG/Lite owners upgrade to in Japan as a holiday gift.

but the switch lite isn't a switch. I'm satisfied with the current sizing because it does both tabletop and handheld well. even if a lite did have a kickstand and detachable controllers, it would still be too small to enjoy it in tabletop

So say this Switch 2 is just 5% bigger or less. And say that space was solely devoted to the cooling solution which allows the thing to get significantly better clocks when docked. I can see them doubling the space required for cooling and it wouldn’t make the thing that much bigger. We could be talking about the difference of a 3TF machine instead of a 2TF one.

That enbiggen would be totally worth it, no?

Nintendo always has 1/2 LE consoles to push people to buy other revisions of their consoles during holiday season, the most common example of this are Lite Pokemon LEs that one of their goals is to have a console for kids of parents of families that already have a Switch, the Lite gives the kid a console of their own of their favorite franchise to play games while the Switch of the family is in use and parents buy it because is the holiday gift of the kid.
Yes, Lite Pokemon LE launched in novembrer, not in august ;)

So say this Switch 2 is just 5% bigger or less. And say that space was solely devoted to the cooling solution which allows the thing to get significantly better clocks when docked. I can see them doubling the space required for cooling and it wouldn’t make the thing that much bigger. We could be talking about the difference of a 3TF machine instead of a 2TF one.

A small increase would be fine, within the ballpark of the current OLED. @Raccoon's initial concern was over the (now debunked) 'rumor' of an 8 inch screen, which would necessitate a much bigger device.

My expectation is a small increase, reusing the OLED display and full compatibility with joy-con. Current OLED is 9.5 inches long, 0.5 inches deep. Steam Deck is almost a foot long lmao and that ain't got detachable controllers.

Aya Neo Next is 10.3 inches long, 1 inch deep with a 7 inch screen. I think it's a good size and probably the biggest I'd want a Switch to be.

FKt5ZE7XwAAy9eZ

It depends. If it were 5% wider than the already wider OLED I would grumble but would probably buy it. If it were any taller or any thicker, I'd be waiting for them to get it into the same package.

Of course, we haven't been talking about 5%. An 8" diagonal screen would easily give us a Switch XL, wider and only a bit shorter than a Wii U gamepad.

It depends. If it were 5% wider than the already wider OLED I would grumble but would probably buy it. If it were any taller or any thicker, I'd be waiting for them to get it into the same package.

Of course, we haven't been talking about 5%. An 8" diagonal screen would easily give us a Switch XL, wider and only a bit shorter than a Wii U gamepad.
I was under the impression the 8" thing was pure speculation. The only viable rumor we have was that the shell was a bit bigger. Specifically about the size difference the OLED had from the OG, which to my eye owning both is practically indiscernible.

I disagree on that last point.

Consider that Nintendo Switch as a family is still having trouble keeping shelves stocked. The limitation of sales is production, not demand. As such, it becomes the case that selling fewer, more expensive units would make more profit. Chilling the Christmas rush when your console has demand higher than supply is a good thing, especially when it's being chilled by people holding off on buying it now to spend MORE money on it later.

Last edited:
The main difference I see between this forum and Mochizuki is that the former is a group of nerds having fun speculating on video games, while the latter is a journalist from a reputable journal read by capitalist pigs who base their investments on whichever trends are being reported by the said journal.
Yeeeah I don't really see the point in defending Mochizuki's missteps by comparing him to random forum users lol

The main difference I see between this forum and Mochizuki is that the former is a group of nerds having fun speculating on video games, while the latter is a journalist from a reputable journal read by capitalist pigs who base their investments on whichever trends are being reported by the said journal.
Yeah. Screw that guy, for having a job that he's good at!

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom