• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

"Asinine" lol. Come on. You've got to be kidding.

Where is this "slapping on" coming from? Is that your impression of my understanding of how technology works?
I'm not KIDDING, but I'm also not being entirely serious.

And "slapping on", I mean, compared to a new SOC with new cooling, and maybe even a new battery, a screen technology change is a tiny change. "Slapping on" compared to the Drake's "forged", let's say.

Mochizuki really trying to dump something on the fire like that eh?
I gotta wonder. Are we meant to take it as both "We were too soon." AND "The Switch 2 will be revealed soon."? Or just that we jumped the gun?

I think next week is possible still.

I gotta wonder. Are we meant to take it as both "We were too soon." AND "The Switch 2 will be revealed soon."? Or just that we jumped the gun?

I think next week is possible still.

Let’s say he is talking about Switch (a big assumption given all the things he reports on) - I would assume he means people anticipating it too early. He’d likely be are responding commotion on Twitter - trending Switch 2, YouTube bait videos etc.

The deliberate phrasing of "2 early" that could either be read as "too early" or " Switch 2 [is] early" is some dastardly wordsmithing, if it even refers to Drake at all. Confirmation bias is strong here.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

Thanks for your translation, my translator makes it sound like they are trying to prepare shellfish to eat, but it's all messy and full of blood.

I have a hard time believing a 7nm Maxwell is in the works.

He's finally spoken. Guess our hype and de-hype caught his attention

Strange tweet, and if it's about the Switch Drake it could easily be read two different ways.
The deliberate phrasing of "2 early" that could either be read as "too early" or " Switch 2 [is] early" is some dastardly wordsmithing, if it even refers to Drake at all. Confirmation bias is strong here.
Exactly

But who says this is about anything in particular? I don't think he usually tweets (either speculation or info) about the same subjects as he reports on professionally.
Either way it's too vague. Is it too early for an announcement? Or does he mean the console release itself? He's not really saying anything we don't know or couldn't ascertain from the OLED announcement today.

I'm just glad HE'S ALIVE after not hearing from him for 9 months

Are there any rumours regarding the screen? Will it have the same screen as the OLED Model?
Nothing that's especially trustworthy. There's basically no information about the screen.
Sorry for the late reply and since it's kind of to multiple posts just gonna do it without a quote but the idea behind not putting all games on the original and having some big ones like Mario or Mario Kart being exclusive would be to sell the new device and to allow those games to have a larger scope and scale, since if they have to limit things for the switch hardware it would limit what they could do with the games. I think it's a good compromise, allowing the switch to keep living and getting games but also not waiting 9 years for a new generation of hardware and software, which could leave consumers getting bored of Nintendo.
Yes, this is what we've been talking about and debating forever. Hard generational boundaries being over in favor of constant rolling overlapping generations.

My question would be: how would they know? That's one of those bits I'd like to see additional context on because the claim differs from what they're known for.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
I can’t handle this thread anymore lol

Time to give it a break and see if the more dedicated here have unearthed anything fun in a week

I wouldn't worry too much over it, die shrinking x1 again for an upclock doesn't make much sense to me for a professional big boy job.

We can, and have, already over clocked every x1 type ever put in a switch.

It can shore up anything (on a switch) bottlenecked by CPU or GPU pretty nicely.

It can't do diddly squat when the problem is we're outta memory bandwidth.

So a lot of times we will find that we stop seeing gains after increasing clocks just 30% or whatever, because we're running into a memory bottleneck. Or we just don't see gains at all, even though the processors are all jazzed up and doin flips n shit.

They would need to address the memory aspect of the architecture if they were to release a serious 7nm switch x1+ Maxwell soc, for that higher clocked version to make much sense.

That being said..... A 7nm x1+++++ whatever switch that just matched performance of og switch and lasted for days on a single charge would be kinda cool.......

What about the JoyCon difference?

I've seen some claims that said the factory worker said MoHun can run at 60fps. It's all a mess.
@NateDrake, I saw that a few others replied to you with my previous posts. Although this is obvious, I'd like to nonetheless stress that these were my translations and interpretations, and can be wrong, biased, and/or incomplete. Let me know if you have any questions or find any errors.

I wouldn't worry too much over it, die shrinking x1 again for an upclock doesn't make much sense to me for a professional big boy job.

We can, and have, already over clocked every x1 type ever put in a switch.

It can shore up anything (on a switch) bottlenecked by CPU or GPU pretty nicely.

It can't do diddly squat when the problem is we're outta memory bandwidth.

So a lot of times we will find that we stop seeing gains after increasing clocks just 30% or whatever, because we're running into a memory bottleneck. Or we just don't see gains at all, even though the processors are all jazzed up and doin flips n shit.

They would need to address the memory aspect of the architecture if they were to release a serious 7nm switch x1+ Maxwell soc, for that higher clocked version to make much sense.

That being said..... A 7nm x1+++++ whatever switch that just matched performance of og switch and lasted for days on a single charge would be kinda cool.......

Nah I’m not worried about TX1 nonsense. I’m just a bit tired of being tuned into looking at vague or confusing translations.

Hope we get something concrete soon.

Edit:

Also note the post I quoted mentions a longer and wider backplate. I didn’t want to speculate further on a larger device

Is there a consolidation of reports from the most trustworthy "uncles/aunts"? Like my brain is broken trying to understand what should be taken seriously or not. Is the 8mm heat pipe/up to 20W a legit leaker?

Quoted by: LiC
Ga ha ha, I'm staring to recognize what the words my translator is using really means.

Dawn is sunbreak, full blooded is full power/ full clocks.

I think I'm understanding the situation, and i think its simple confusion, over people with hacked switches clocking them up to full speed/over clocking and discussing these improved results, with people who may not be aware that's a thing.

This one here, I recognize these metrics from discussions I've been in at places like gbatemp:

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

That's just good old fashion modded switches, the kind we already all have and love.

Ga ha ha, I'm staring to recognize what the words my translator is using really means.

Dawn is sunbreak, full blooded is full power/ full clocks.

I think I'm understanding the situation, and i think its simple confusion, over people with hacked switches clocking them up to full speed/over clocking and discussing these improved results, with people who may not be aware that's a thing.

This one here, I recognize these metrics from discussions I've been in at places like gbatemp:

That's just good old fashion modded switches, the kind we already all have and love.

Is there a consolidation of reports from the most trustworthy "uncles/aunts"? Like my brain is broken trying to understand what should be taken seriously or not. Is the 8mm heat pipe/up to 20W a legit leaker?
Hard to take anything seriously when the last two things transplanted here appear to be an unreliable 8-inch screen rumor from a different forum which the people on the first forum were merely discussing, and people talking about overclocking their modified Switches to run MHR at 60 fps.

I guess this is the closest thing to a summary of the """reliable""" stuff that started this all off.

Kind of reposting from the other thread but what do you gentlemen think of the idea of the Drake being a new console but Nintendo promising to do a lot of cross gen support for the first few years. The biggest games still being exclusive to the drake but things like 2D Zelda or Paper Mario or whatever getting a cross gen port?
I think everyone and their mom wants that. This is what Sony and MS have been doing. Entirely normal. But Nintendo has never had a console with this amount of momentum in it's 5th year, so I don't know what they are thinking/planning for Drake.
This dude lol. 35,000 followers and posting the vaguest thing ever

No way I'm taking the bait.
Pretty sure he is @Thugstas in real life. Needs more winky face. 😉

Mochi saying too early
Early 2023 now?
2022 is too early.

Last edited:

Two weeks early, two months early, two years early.

Quoted by: LiC
I figure to help @jirou , I can also help with Chinese translations. I enjoy doing it and their speculation is always fun. Jirou--are you supposed to be chicken, or muscles? If you are muscles then we can be besties.

I really wish I hadn't exposed my biggest hangup about this thing over someone's joke from across the globe

because again I will be so sad if it's bigger

I have to admit, I'm a bit curious as to....why. Do you have a specifically sized bag you carry your Switch in that you can't get in a bigger size? Are you just such an enthusiast of "small, simple to use, sleek fun" hardware (hence the Apple comparisons) that the Switch moving away from that philosophy is legitimately a dealbreaker, just as much or potentially moreso than the software itself?

Man I absolutely love that this guy is called Mod Uncle. We don't even know him and he's a legend

edit for you uncle pi: 皮舅舅, 如果你看到这个, 我们非常感谢你.

Last edited:
(completely random digression)
Huh, it really is 'uncle'/aunt'. I was kinda expecting/hoping for 'da ge/da jie' ('big bro/big sis'... or 'aniki/aneki' for the otaku among us).
(and specifically it's mother's brother/mother's younger sister)

...while I'm on that train of thought, those of you checking assorted east asian sources, what do Japanese and Korean fanbases use? Oji/Oba-san or Ani/Ane for Japanese? (I don't know uncle/aunt) or Hyung/Noona for Korean?
On the Korean Nintendo fan site, they just call their names. But Emily is sometimes referred to as Emily Noona(에밀리 누나).

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom