• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Imo this MH ryse dlss patch, is pure confirmation bias at work.

Is it possible it is related? Yes

If we knew nothing about Drake Switch, would anyone have batted an eye that rise got dlss? Probably not imo. There doesnt have to be a secondary reason for it.
Spoken like a true steward of reason.

That's not how it works at all.

You have to right click 'DLSS' and then click 'add'.
Its only create a folder calles DLSS and copypaste the files of Nvidia website, you dont need to click
If only people realized game development was this easy
Haha, I really didn't know it was this easy at all! What am I doing with my life?! :ROFLMAO:

Appreciate you sharing these interesting tidbits with us! Keeps the hopium alive
Thank you! I run on hopium, haha! :ROFLMAO:

Random tidbit, just for fun, and just an expression of more hopium, haha, but did you see the overseas job posting from today about porting games FROM PS5 TO Switch? The crazy in me wants to think it means what we want it to mean, haha! Maybe it does, but it's just funny to phrase it as PS5 and not PS4! I THINK I know what developer is doing it, and they're a slightly bigger one, but again, probably means bupkis!

EDIT: Realized if you hadn't seen it, I didn't post it anyways, haha! Here's one of the job postings.

Last edited:
Random tidbit, just for fun, and just an expression of more hopium, haha, but did you see the overseas job posting from today about porting games FROM PS5 TO Switch? The crazy in me wants to think it means what we want it to mean, haha! Maybe it does, but it's just funny to phrase it as PS5 and not PS4! I THINK I know what developer is doing it, and they're a slightly bigger one, but again, probably means bupkis!

EDIT: Realized if you hadn't seen it, I didn't post it anyways, haha! Here's one of the job postings.

Does that mean in the range from PS5 to switch, or porting from one to the other? Either way, sounds like another arcsys fighter with it being UE4 and based in Yokohama.

Boo Rich! The post didn’t originate from Resetera.
Come on!!! :ROFLMAO:

Does that mean in the range from PS5 to switch, or porting from one to the other? Either way, sounds like another arcsys fighter with it being UE4 and based in Yokohama.
Porting from PS5 to Switch
The way that it seems to translate out is that it's from PS5 to Switch. And, digging around a bit, it does seem likely to be an Arcsys game...but at the end, they said they are a publicly traded company, so on the stock exchange. Are they traded in Japan, because I'm not seeing that if they are?

If not, there is YUKE'S possibly, as they have a Yokohama studio, and are publicly traded in Japan. Unsure though!

But, here are both job postings for comparison. One seems to be more for support, but there is very slightly different wordings to both:

Posting One
Posting Two

Oh yeah, they could be stockpiling raw materials because they're worried prices will go up in the coming months/years, not that stock will run out.
could be both, some of it is going to be used but backing things up due to inevitable rising costs. especially with uncertainty around Japanese monetary policy (yield curve control) and potential yen devaluation. smart move vs having money in the bank i'd say.

Oh yeah, they could be stockpiling raw materials because they're worried prices will go up in the coming months/years, not that stock will run out.
Supply and demand makes these the same thing for a buyer of Nintendo's size.

I think by 2024, OG will get phased out and we’ll have:
  • $199 lite
  • $349 SWOLED
  • $449 Drake

That way, the lite will actually look “like a cheaper deal” and Nintendo doesn’t have to drop any prices.

I don’t see an OLED Lite because 1- The Lite was made as the 2DS like option for lower income families and 2- The Lite didn’t sell anything like the numbers Nintendo expected it to. 3- OLED is their premium and most expensive model.

I fully expect the new Switch 2 console to have an OLED screen at launch.

Yeah, if this new Switch came it at £400+ It would need to be a significantly more upgraded system for me to consider paying that kind of money.

Perhaps someone can compile R&D costs versus raw material inventory over the years to see any patterns. I reckon it would be good to look at % increase versus actual numbers of course.

Writing’s on the wall with OLED at $350 - nothing meaningful is launching under $450.

Doubt they’d be dropping the OLED price to $300 after one year, and no way the upgrade is coming through at only $50 more. Prices are only going up :x

Even if there wasn’t a chip material price hike coming, I think $500 for a next generation switch would be almost a certainty

Sony and Microsoft are probably kicking themselves for not just charging more for the ps5 and Series X. They all probably would still be sold out and just as hard to find at $600 as they are now. Console manufacturers seriously underestimated the demand for basically all hardware this gen.

Same goes for the new switch. It will very likely sell out regardless of how many they are able to pump out in the first few years at $500. So why wouldn’t they charge that much?

I often get the feeling that they - especially Rich - know more than they're letting on on this topic. He's said in the past that he doesn't want to partake in rumours - only if he knows something that'll truly benefit the audience (like the Switch clocks back in 2016). Normally I feel like he doesn't want to linger too much on Switch 2 questions, but this time they took a little more time. It's interesting how he treats a New Switch (tm) in this coming year as something self-evident. Definitely worth a watch!

Sony and Microsoft are probably kicking themselves for not just charging more for the ps5 and Series X. They all probably would still be sold out and just as hard to find at $600 as they are now. Console manufacturers seriously underestimated the demand for basically all hardware this gen.

Same goes for the new switch. It will very likely sell out regardless of how many they are able to pump out in the first few years at $500. So why wouldn’t they charge that much?

Sony is very sensitive about pricing their hardware after the PS3.

I also remember that the reveal of both consoles was repeatedly post-poned because Sony was waiting for Microsoft en Microsoft was waiting for Sony to make the first move.
So in the end, the consumer won and market competition works.

Even if there wasn’t a chip material price hike coming, I think $500 for a next generation switch would be almost a certainty

The only thing that throws me about the $500 price, is how such a device could ever be positioned as anything but a revision or ‘premium’ Switch. Yes they’ll sell incredibly well but they cut out a large chunk of their current market at that price point.

Not trying to ignite the debate again - I want nothing to do with it. Just asking the question would Nintendo ever launch a new generation at $500? What measures would it take to bring the price down to $300 from there?

I often get the feeling that they - especially Rich - know more than they're letting on on this topic. He's said in the past that he doesn't want to partake in rumours - only if he knows something that'll truly benefit the audience (like the Switch clocks back in 2016). Normally I feel like he doesn't want to linger too much on Switch 2 questions, but this time they took a little more time. It's interesting how he treats a New Switch (tm) in this coming year as something self-evident. Definitely worth a watch!

Assuming it’s still just speculation but it’s nice to have them take a more positive tone on it. Tired of the “probably not until 2024, or later” talk from a lot of outlets

Writing’s on the wall with OLED at $350 - nothing meaningful is launching under $450.

Doubt they’d be dropping the OLED price to $300 after one year, and no way the upgrade is coming through at only $50 more. Prices are only going up :x

Sony cut the PS4 pro, and even the 4 got reduced manufacturing. cutting the OLED and having the Pro or 2 take its spot with a 400$ price tag soundsd like an option to me.
Keep the light and default where they are. 200$, 300$ and 400$. works in my book.
200$ is the "those peoeple clearly dotn want to pay the price of a pro/2".
and 300$ is the "i could buy that... or....maybe i add another 100$ and im future save..."

in the long run they would want to move most customers to the pro/2.

And while nintendo does not take losses on hardware... they also dont aim for big earnings,
simply because most games are now sold over the eshop, where they get a cut of every game. Even if a customer only buys a handfull games, the additional earnings they could get with a higher price will be made with software.
But if that person did not buy the console because of the to high price, then they wont sell the software.

And theres the second benefit of cheaper hardware: higher adaption -> higher interest by third parties to support the platform -> more software sold -> more moneyz for nintendo.

I think something important to consider and I'm sure nintendo is doing just that. A recession is pretty much hitting the US, a major market, and crazy inflation everywhere. They will not want to price it to crazy to where in the next few years people will not want to upgrade or buy in due to reduced ability to spend on entertainment. Like someone brought up above with Sony and the ps3, Nintendo I'm sure will be doing their best to avoid just that scenario. At 500 would the device still be selling out at launch and maybe even first year or 2 out, yes. But they got to think about the next 5-8 years. I'm still sticking with the 450 option at most for now

I highly doubt Nintendo would go over $400 with new hardware. Older models can be reduced in price ahead of time or outright discontinued to further warrant the new price point.
them discontinuing or reducing the price of the old models wouldn’t really stop the pricier new model from being… well, pricier.

Mainly in part because of the pricier chip.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Oled was discontinued as fast as the Xbox X was. No sense in having two similar products with near identical price points.
That'd make sense. This or V2 will be discontinued and OLED will replace it at the same price point.

How about, instead of discontinuing the OLED or the V2, they just temporarily discontinue the lite and drop the V2 to 250?

It’s not like the Lite sells amazingly…

Price bracket would be: 250, 350 and 450 in this case

And OLED looks like it’s eating into the V2 sales, it’s so close in price yet offers a lot more for what the original is priced at relatively. Only for 50 bucks.

A steal :)

Edit: actually, we are looking at this whole pricing issue more naively perhaps. Rather than waiting for more to unfold.

Last edited:
Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom