• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

2024 is still on the table

If still nothing by end of june then yes it will be off the table
I'll give up on 2024 when either:

We hit the 21st of September with no announcement.

They announce it's coming in 2025.

And not one moment sooner!

Furukawa, fielding the Switch 2 questions:

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Would be funny if the insider somehow misread and thought it meant worldwide, instead of selective continent receiving a 2025 release, it’s extremely unlikely, but would be nice.

The only way this is flawed is because Midori/sega received a 2025 release notice.

if 8NM is really the litography of Tegra239, i hope the clock speed is set between 500/600mhz, yes i delusional, it seens Necrolipe believe Switch sucessor will be on 8NM

That's not what Necrolipe is saying though?

He's just saying if it's really 8N, he hope clock speed is set between 500/600MHz, that's all.

(although I am not sure those clock speeds are possible with 12SMs)

if 8NM is really the litography of Tegra239, i hope the clock speed is set between 500/600mhz, yes i delusional, it seens Necrolipe believe Switch sucessor will be on 8NM

It won't let me translate it, but why does he think this exactly? My understanding was that nobody outside of the highest levels of Nintendo and Nvidia are in any position to know what the node is, even putting aside all the reasons to think it isn't 8nm.

It won't let me translate it, but why does he think this exactly? My understanding was that nobody outside of the highest levels of Nintendo and Nvidia are in any position to know what the node is, even putting aside all the reasons to think it isn't 8nm.
Giancarlo misrespresented Necrolipe's words. The machine translation is giving me this:

"If 8N really is the T239 lithography, I hope the clock speed is at least between 500~600 MHz in portable mode (Yes, I'm deluded)"

If the "March 2025 at the earliest" is indeed what Nintendo said to devs back in January/February, then it will give them an even bigger leeway to dodge these questions, since it won't be "misleading" investors about the Switch 2 release date and because they don't have a release date set in stone. Even if is March 2025, they've already calculated a way as Dr.Serkan Toto said they are not obliged.

One day until the advent of unhinged takes about how not "mentioning" a console at an investor meeting proves that it can't be releasing any time in the financial year.

It definitely does dramatically lower the odds as there’s no upside for avoiding mentioning of it.

The only reason to not mention the Switch 2 releasing this FY is if they’re not super confident about hitting that date.

Giancarlo misrespresented Necrolipe's words. The machine translation is giving me this:

"If 8N really is the T239 lithography, I hope the clock speed is at least between 500~600 MHz in portable mode (Yes, I'm deluded)"
I'm interpreting it as meaning he's hoping still hoping for PS4 raw level performance in portable mode, while admitting it seems unlikely at 8nm. But I'm not sure if he's casting doubt on 8nm or PS4 handheld performance?

One day until the advent of unhinged takes about how not "mentioning" a console at an investor meeting proves that it can't be releasing any time in the financial year.
Mostly depends on what's said specifically. If Furukawa says that Switch is still gonna be their primary focus, that's not exactly a good sign.

I'm translating this to Chinese, I think the last thing he's referring to is "self-deception"?I don't know, but I don't think 8nm is really going to achieve the clock frequency he wants.

If its clocked that high, either Nvidia made 8nm as efficient as 4nm, or its 4nm.

I kinda like how the options are:

Either nVidia are wizards that defy laws of nature.

Or it's simply that one node that enables these setups without issues.

^^

I'm interpreting it as meaning he's hoping still hoping for PS4 raw level performance in portable mode, while admitting it seems unlikely at 8nm. But I'm not sure if he's casting doubt on 8nm or PS4 handheld performance?

Huh? I didn't say he was casting doubt on 8nm either.

It's a "If it's on 8nm, I hope clock is this speed..." comment, you and Giancrio are trying to interpret things beyond a simple "if it were on 8nm.." mention.

Can confirm the machine translation checks out - he's very clearly stating just that IF it's 8nm, that it ends up sitting in the 500~600Mhz range in portable mode.

I'm also in team 8nm. Need to price NG Switch at $400 or if can at $350. Finger cross

Pretty much everything we know points to 2 things:

• 4N would be cheaper per-chip than 8nm, especially if they actually use N4P and then switch to N4C in 2025 or 2026
  • if they were using 8nm, they could've made the chip smaller, cheaper and more powerful by going with 8 Streaming Multiprocessors clocked higher rather than 12. We know for a fact that they went with 12, so...

The idea of a heavily customized 8nm made solely for the Switch 2 doesn’t really make sense as the idea of 8nm is to save money and heavy customization would basically be making a new node and that would cost a ton of R&D money.

Would involve a ton of fuckups (like Nintendo deciding to massively increase specs in a later stage without changing node for some reason)

“Sim, sou iludido”What exactly does that mean?When I translate it into Chinese, it says "self-deception."
It should translate to something close to "yes I'm deluded" (what I got from machine translation), which makes sense given the context. Clock speeds between 500-600 MHz in handheld, on 8NM, seems pretty unlikely, if 12SMs is still in the picture.

Last edited:
One way to square 8nm with the clock vs power tests is that those tests are simply wrong and the T239 can be clocked much lower in a power efficient way and we end up with similar clocks to the Switch 1.

One way to square 8nm with the clock vs power tests is that those tests are simply wrong and the T239 can be clocked much lower in a power efficient way and we end up with similar clocks to the Switch 1.
The question that's been repeated as nauseum:

If your going to underclock it significantly below efficiency clocks, why not go with fewer SM in the first place?

The question that's been repeated as nauseum:

If your going to underclock it significantly below efficiency clocks, why not go with fewer SM in the first place?

I’m saying they could have redesigned not the node, but redesigned the chip to be more electricity efficient at low clocks.

This is the worst case scenario, but is more likely than the “heavily customized 8nm used solely for this one chip ever”

The scenarios are:

-4N
-TSMC 6nm with slightly big battery
-8nm with massive battery
-8nm with redesigned T239 to be more efficient at low clocks

It should translate to something close to "yes I'm deluded" (what I got from machine translation), which makes sense given the context. Clock speeds between 500-600 MHz in handheld, on 8NM, seems pretty unlikely.
As a native speaker, the machine translation is practically spot on. I'd probably use "delusional" instead of deluded. But yeah, that's the jist.
Also, do people know he is a member of this forum? I know it's not cool to tag insiders, but I find a little creepy this whole spiral of trying to search meaning for something the person who wrote it not only can read, but is actually really present in these discussions.

Huh? I didn't say he was casting doubt on 8nm either.

It's a "If it's on 8nm, I hope clock is this speed..." comment, you and Giancrio are trying to interpret things beyond a simple "if it were on 8nm.." mention.
I didn't think you were saying he was casting doubt. Apologies if it came across that way. But yeah, I was wondering if more could be read into it, or not

I think you might be the only person in this thread who thinks that. You were away from this thread for a while - have you caught up with recent news? I was a 2024 believer too and didn't think 2025 was even possible.

Should I stay awake and see the Code name and acknowledgment of an iteration of the Switch.

Or should I sleep early and play some Xenoblade the golden country.
I am placing my bets the codename is "I am feeling it."

But seriously, Xenoblade X has to be a year 1 title.

I am placing my bets the codename is "I am feeling it."

But seriously, Xenoblade X has to be a year 1 title.
Would make for a nice Switch 2 exclusives in the early years, since Xenoblade has become more popular (popular in the internet space, not mainstream sadly)

You're the only person in this thread who thinks that as far as I can tell. If you want to ignore all news in the past few months then sure. I was a 2024 believer too and didn't think 2025 was even possible.

I'm not the only one. I've indeed seen news pointing to 2025 and news pointing to 2024 so I'm not ignoring any, it just looks like everyone is clueless, let's wait on tomorrow meeting

Team 2024 Assemble

I'm from Brazil, let me try to explain what Necro means to say when he said " sim, sou iludido ". He hope the node is 8NM and the clocks around 500~600mhz but he thinks it's not gonna happen. Something like "it's my dream but I don't think is gonna happen"

I'm from Brazil, let me try to explain what Necro means to say when he said " sim, sou iludido ". He hope the node is 8NM and the clocks around 500~600mhz but he thinks it's not gonna happen. Something like "it's my dream but I don't think is gonna happen"

Read his reply to a question about 8nm vs 4nm

I don't think your interpretation (that he "hopes" it's 8nm) is correct at all.

I think the first Monolithsoft game on ReDraketed won't be a remaster/remake.
My guess is entirely a coin flip. Xenoblade X is the most sensible one because it would mean Monolith Soft is able to release the game onto hardware that could handle it and it'd buy them some time until their new IP is ready... or it's just the new IP.

I'm going to hope it's the latter tbh, because I'm in the mood for more peak fiction.

I'm not sure about "betting" (that may be a mis-translation if you read that), but it does look like he's responded to @Giancarlo's question about the likelihood of 8nm with the answer of "low"
Wouldn’t our best estimate be which game will be arriving on Switch 2.

Like we know that the next far cry and FF7 remake, might be arriving on the Switch if the rumour are supposed to be taken serious.

Like how likely would it be that a Switch 2 with a 8NM could run both of these games?

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom