• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Actually, with the insane amounts of DMCAs and lack of info might be a hood thing. It means Nintendo has the info locked down tight for an announcement. I mean what would they do with this hardware, they can't wait another year, they have to take advantage of the amount of the games they are releasing! They also DMCAed a Nintendo Switch 4k game upscaler days ago that got annouced in April lol.
It got DMCAed because it used Nintendo trademarked content to promote their product, they have allowed other upscalers being kickstarted and sold without any issue.

I wonder if we’ll see any of those H2 2022 games Nate knows about actually release in a few months, even if they launch before the Pro.

By which I mean I wonder if we’ll see any at this Direct. Not that we’ll know lol

Quoted by: ika
I wonder if we’ll see any of those H2 2022 games Nate knows about actually release in a few months, even if they launch before the Pro.

By which I mean I wonder if we’ll see any at this Direct. Not that we’ll know lol
Imagine if when Nintendo announces the Direct, bellow in the YouTube description for the event it says “4K” stream… :p

Actually, with the insane amounts of DMCAs and lack of info might be a hood thing. It means Nintendo has the info locked down tight for an announcement. I mean what would they do with this hardware, they can't wait another year, they have to take advantage of the amount of the games they are releasing! They also DMCAed a Nintendo Switch 4k game upscaler days ago that got annouced in April lol.
I’m going on a limb by saying the DMCAs have nothing to do with regards to an imminent Switch successor release (that isn’t to say that it won’t happen, just thst the two are not corellated), and that it’s simply Nintendo being as letigeous as ever.

The problem is they don’t have a proper alternative offered to all those Youtube takedowns. They really should consider releasing their own music on Spotify or Youtube Music.

At that point it will be down to supplying the most developer friendly dev kits, and hopefully Nvidia could still supply them on that end.
Yeah,steam deck is more relevant to gaming on linux than a theoretical second generation switch.Though at the very least it probably means specs alone wouldn't be the issue anymore.

Quoted by: SiG
Are we still expecting a new more powerful model or a Switch 2 with some corss platform games with og switch?
A new more powerful model but we don't know if Nintendo will market it as a Switch 2 or something else. With some third-party exclusives. Regarding Nintendo games, they'll probably be cross-platform for a while.

Yeah,steam deck is more relevant to gaming on linux than a theoretical second generation switch.Though at the very least it probably means specs alone wouldn't be the issue anymore.
I’m not quite sure what the Switch and it’s successor has to do with Linux in general.

If anything, the Steam Deck might actually get more PC users to ditch Windows (especially with the Win 11 telemetry shennanigans) in favor for installing SteamOS or some othe Linux distro (like POP!_OS) natively.

So the big takeaway from TSMC’s announcements are that the gains coming from node decreases are starting to diminish?

What would this mean for Drake?
I don't think this will be an issue for Drake.

if we get a 3nm or 2nm node revision for Drake in 2025-2026 (while release is hopefully 6 or 5nm), it will just be for power savings most likely anyway. I'm not too worried about Drake's successor.
With games being “optimized” for Steam Deck, would that help with porting games to Drake if both are comparable in power?
I don't think we will get any ports from SD. SD is a portable PC with customized settings. I suspect we will get a lot of ps4 and current gen ports for third party games...

Are we still expecting a new more powerful model or a Switch 2 with some corss platform games with og switch?
we should be getting the latter. Cross platform games will last a few years for 1st party games. I do expect 3rd party exclusives at launch on Drake.

They have to be really careful with advertising. Advertising as a pro model doesn't make much sense at this point. Obviously they can have the same games for the first couple of years with some exclusives (third party at first).

Last edited:
So we went from ''Switch Pro'' is coming in 2019-2020, to ''Switch 2'' in 2022-2023.. And now we're back on Switch Pro? Why are y'all doing this to yourselves lol. Wasn't it enough when insiders were screaming about a Pro coming out within months, but Lite released instead? I think it's best to just wait. IMO the most likely scenario is Switch 2 in early 2024. Possibly with Metroid Prime 4 as a launch title.

edit: mixed up the ''pro'' rumors with the OLED release

Last edited:
With the price for transistor not coming down a lot, other than the Drake release, what does the path look like to a more powerful chipset in the future beyond Drake?

A die shrink would be price neutral, with all of the battery and size benefits, but otherwise?

So we went from ''Switch Pro'' is coming in 2019-2020, to ''Switch 2'' in 2022-2023.. And now we're back on Switch Pro? Why are y'all doing this to yourselves lol. Wasn't it enough when insiders were screaming about a Pro coming out within months, but Lite released instead? I think it's best to just wait. IMO the most likely scenario is Switch 2 in early 2024. Possibly with Metroid Prime 4 as a launch title.
Not this fucking misinformation bullshit again.

2024 because no "insiders" said this date? imma not believe it

I think it's best to just wait.

Yeah that's what everyone on earth is doing what's the alternative?

This company has been releasing new iterations of its gaming hardware lines ~every couple years for as long as most of us have been alive. There's always going to be a "future Nintendo hardware" thread. You don't have to click on it! I don't know why y'all keep doing this to yourselves lol.

This is not what happened. Here's a timeline since apparently it's hard for people to remember these things.

-2018-2019: rumors of a smaller switch and an additional model "geared towards enthusiasts"
-2019: Nintendo released the Switch Lite and Mariko V2 Switch which had a more powerful chip, but did not run games any better.

-Late 2020: rumors of a more powerful Switch targeting 4k and using DLSS. Planned for release in 2022.
-Early 2021: Bloomberg reports a new Switch model with an OLED screen
-Mid 2021: Bloomberg hears of 4k Switch devkits and OLED production beginning soon and assumes that the OLED screen model will be 4k capable.
-July 2021: Nintendo announces OLED Switch, no 4k model

-Early 2022: Nvidia hack confirms previous reports that next Switch model will be 4k capable using DLSS

Throughout all of this, nobody has claimed to know what Nintendo will call any of these. Pro, 2, whatever. Nobody knows, and anybody claiming to know is not trustworthy since that's marketing info Nintendo will keep extremely close to the chest.

Wait for what? Nobody is time traveling forward so all you can do is wait lmao

This is not what happened. Here's a timeline since apparently it's hard for people to remember these things.

-2018-2019: rumors of a smaller switch and an additional model "geared towards enthusiasts"
-2019: Nintendo released the Switch Lite and Mariko V2 Switch which had a more powerful chip, but did not run games any better.

-Late 2020: rumors of a more powerful Switch targeting 4k and using DLSS. Planned for release in 2022.
-Mid 2021: Bloomberg hears of 4k Switch devkits and OLED production beginning soon and assumes that the OLED screen model will be 4k capable.

-Early 2022: Nvidia hack confirms previous reports that next Switch model will be 4k capable using DLSS

Throughout all of this, nobody has claimed to know what Nintendo will call any of these. Pro, 2, whatever. Nobody knows, and anybody claiming to know is not trustworthy since that's marketing info Nintendo will keep extremely close to the chest.
I still see absolutely zero reason to think it's more plausible that Bloomberg confused two devices years apart from each other than Bloomberg was accurate on a switch pro and it just got canceled or delayed.

To begin with, the leaks we saw from Bloomberg about a 4k switch sound NOTHING like the Drake. The drake is a massive leap over the switch in every way. Regardless of how they market it, this would be one of the largest generational leaps in power we have ever seen. It also has a new architecture and brand new features like raytracing. Bloomberg said nothing about any of this. The device they leaked was just the switch with DLSS to push games up to 4k. There was no substantial additional power, no new architecture, no new features.

It's obvious that the switch pro Bloomberg heard about was canceled, and replaced with the OLED, because of the chip shortage making supplying it impossible. You are in denial about this because you want to believe that the Drake is a pro and not an iterative successor like the PS5.

One thing that I will contend and that I don't think is debatable is that the Drake was at least not planned to be a pro, originally. It's still possible they could market it that way, but that wouldn't have been the intention. The reason why, is because these pieces of hardware take years and years to plan and develop. They most likely started planning the Drake right after the switch came out. Would they have planned an ~9 year life span for their console at this point? It was not clear that the switch's sales would be this high for this long until the pandemic hit in 2020. So it's fair to say that whatever the plans of the drake are now, it was originally supposed to be their new console. And this lines up with the new architecture, the higher power, and the release timing (6-7 years in).

Now I think it's pretty unlikely that Nintendo has randomly decided to market their new console as a revision, but who knows!

I still see absolutely zero reason to think it's more plausible that Bloomberg confused two devices years apart from each other than Bloomberg was accurate on a switch pro and it just got canceled or delayed.
Bloomberg has developer sources who reported having 4k devkits. There is no reason to believe those 4k devkits were scrapped for a new 4k devkit.
To begin with, the leaks we saw from Bloomberg about a 4k switch sound NOTHING like the Drake. The drake is a massive leap over the switch in every way. Regardless of how they market it, this would be one of the largest generational leaps in power we have ever seen.
We don't know this, it's irresponsible to be claiming this. We know beyond most doubts Drake has 12SMs and is capable of DLSS. That's all we know. We have no idea how many CPU cores it'll have, no idea how much RAM, no idea of any clock speeds.
It also has a new architecture and brand new features like raytracing. Bloomberg said nothing about any of this. The device they leaked was just the switch with DLSS to push games up to 4k. There was no substantial additional power, no new architecture, no new features.
It has to have a new architecture and new features in order to be capable of DLSS. This was obvious, they didn't need to mention that. They didn't mention raytracing but as far as I'm aware it's not confirmed that Drake has RT hardware enabled.
It's obvious that the switch pro Bloomberg heard about was canceled, and replaced with the OLED, because of the chip shortage making supplying it impossible. You are in denial about this because you want to believe that the Drake is a pro and not an iterative successor like the PS5.
This is the least obvious thing in the world. It's extremely, extremely implausible.

It has to have a new architecture and new features in order to be capable of DLSS. This was obvious, they didn't need to mention that. They didn't mention raytracing but as far as I'm aware it's not confirmed that Drake has RT hardware enabled.
I really, really doubt Nintendo is paying Nvidia to develop a custom ray tracing acceleration API for NVN2 to run on hardware that doesn't support it.

I really, really doubt Nintendo is paying Nvidia to develop a custom ray tracing acceleration API for NVN2 to run on hardware that doesn't support it.
Did it have its own custom ray tracing? I wasn't aware of whether it had any specific calls in the stolen code, I just thought it had references to RT cores.

I do agree that hardware RT seems pretty likely, but Bloomberg not reporting on that fact doesn't mean anything.

Did it have its own custom ray tracing? I wasn't aware of whether it had any specific calls in the stolen code, I just thought it had references to RT cores.

I do agree that hardware RT seems pretty likely, but Bloomberg not reporting on that fact doesn't mean anything.
Yes, it's a first-class feature like DLSS with a lot of documentation.

The devkits sent in 2020 had a form of RTX but was still being tinkered with.
It's definitely interesting how much earlier dev kits went out compared to when the final chip would potentially be ready. I wonder if they needed to test approximations of the hardware (whether Orin or just ad-hoc components) on real games and let that inform engineering decisions.

I can't really follow this topic, but I absolutely don't believe that a new console is being announced at the end of this month and believing it will based on the direct date is quite a stretch; or did I miss a crucial info?

On the other hand, if nothing is announced between now and July, it'll be time to be realistic and let go of the 2022 release date as well.
And since I don't really believe that Nintendo wants to release a new console in early 2023 (they could get away with it with the first switch because the WiiU was long dead at the time), that brings us to late 2023 at the very earliest for that new console, or 2024 as I believe it. And that's perfectly fine with me, I can wait. Modern games are still announced for the current model.

This should be required reading for anyone that wants to comment here...
One of my favorite things about this thread is the driveby comments.
...and maybe we need a knowledge test people would have to complete successfully before getting posting rights :p . Now, well-known stuff has to be repeated over and over and over and over...

this paints such an obvious picture that I can hardly believe it's not imminent

This should be required reading for anyone that wants to comment here...

...and maybe we need a knowledge test people would have to complete successfully before getting posting rights :p . Now, well-known stuff has to be repeated over and over and over and over...
It's not just the well known stuff. It's non-technical folks who want to get a summary (fair!) then show up and see the last three posts and assume it's the thread's consensus (arguably not even a thing) and then get confused/angry/smug because it doesn't match the three posts they saw the last time they did this thing.

With the price for transistor not coming down a lot, other than the Drake release, what does the path look like to a more powerful chipset in the future beyond Drake?

A die shrink would be price neutral, with all of the battery and size benefits, but otherwise?
Hmm, it'd probably go back to 'figure out what the next major feature goal/threshold is, then min-max the way to that'.
Earlier I would (and did, even) say 'ray tracing' would be the next threshold, but if RT works out well enough on Drake, I'm... not sure what the next major viable threshold is. I'd probably just have to wait and see what Nvidia's got cooking for the Next Awesome Feature.

I can't really follow this topic, but I absolutely don't believe that a new console is being announced at the end of this month and believing it will based on the direct date is quite a stretch; or did I miss a crucial info?

On the other hand, if nothing is announced between now and July, it'll be time to be realistic and let go of the 2022 release date as well.
And since I don't really believe that Nintendo wants to release a new console in early 2023 (they could get away with it with the first switch because the WiiU was long dead at the time), that brings us to late 2023 at the very earliest for that new console, or 2024 as I believe it. And that's perfectly fine with me, I can wait. Modern games are still announced for the current model.
No you didn't miss any info, it's a very big stretch. I can't see it being announced this month, let alone in 2022. I think first half of 2023 is reasonable (to announce + release).

No you didn't miss any info, it's a very big stretch. I can't see it being announced this month, let alone in 2022. I think first half of 2023 is reasonable (to announce + release).
It's really not that big a stretch. The Lite and OLED models were both announced in early July, that is not far off from late June at all. With this model they may want to take the opportunity of the shareholder meeting to briefly discuss their strategy with it since it'll be pretty different than the past models. I'm fairly sure they have discussed future strategy at these shareholder meetings in June before.

As for 2022, there's really no reason to think it launching in 2022 is any less likely now than it was a year ago.

The devkits sent in 2020 had a form of RTX but was still being tinkered with.
I assume it was a case of the software side being not mature yet (as RTXGI was in it's infancy back then)

Nowadays RTXGI and other super-scalable forms of RT should be feasible for Drake even assuming it's RT capabilities are only Series S level despite the Ampere RT cores beating the Console Ray Accelerators many times over in per-core performance

If it was announced this month before the Direct it would mean that Nintendo could have some game running on the thing featured in the Direct. I feel like we would hear a lot more chatter if that was the case, especially from partners.

It's really not that big a stretch. The Lite and OLED models were both announced in early July, that is not far off from late June at all. With this model they may want to take the opportunity of the shareholder meeting to briefly discuss their strategy with it since it'll be pretty different than the past models. I'm fairly sure they have discussed future strategy at these shareholder meetings in June before.

As for 2022, there's really no reason to think it launching in 2022 is any less likely now than it was a year ago.
I suppose that is plausible and can't be ruled out. I still don't buy it though. In that scenario the Direct would have to be on the 28th then. Unless I got my time zones completely fucked up. We'll see.

I gave up hope for a holiday 2022 release a while ago.

I suppose that is plausible and can't be ruled out. I still don't buy it though. In that scenario the Direct would have to be on the 28th then. Unless I got my time zones completely fucked up. We'll see.

I gave up hope for a holiday 2022 release a while ago.
Oh you misunderstood me, I don't expect it at the direct either. I think if it happens at that time (also not exactly expecting that, though I think there's a chance) then it'll be before the direct and the meeting. Possibly it'll be revealed along with the direct announcement.

Thanks for making an account to basically tell us to stop talking about a topic that this very 276 page thread is about. How about stop moaning and don't read the thread if it doesn't interest you?...

I’m not quite sure what the Switch and it’s successor has to do with Linux in general.

If anything, the Steam Deck might actually get more PC users to ditch Windows (especially with the Win 11 telemetry shennanigans) in favor for installing SteamOS or some othe Linux distro (like POP!_OS) natively.
That's not what I said.The steam deck is relevant to linux gaming.A second gen switch would only really be relevant to nintendo and whether third parties continue to support them.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom