• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

One thing I gotta say as a lurker in Nintendo hardware rumor threads since the beginning of the project cafe days, I can’t think of much that is funnier than ninspider.

I personally don’t think it really matters. I don’t need to know that there’s a new console some day (because of course there is), I want to see the reveal trailer and the games. And that’s probably happening in the fall. I don’t care what they’re telling their investors before that.
I’m in this camp as well. Sure, it would be neat to have official recognition of its existence, but I already know it’s coming. It won’t make the wait shorter or more exciting. (Similarly, I don’t really care much about their investors or if Nintendo’s stock may take a dip in the short term.) So, a “we’re readying plans to release new dedicated video game hardware, codename ‘NeXt.’ We will release more details at a later date” doesn’t do a whole lot for me. Seeing the console, but more importantly, the games, though? That’s a different story!

That said, everyone’s different and I know even just a mention of it existing from Nintendo will send some Nintendo fans’ hearts soaring, and that’s great, too!

One thing I gotta say as a lurker in Nintendo hardware rumor threads since the beginning of the project cafe days, I can’t think of much that is funnier than ninspider.

central-park-tower-adrian-smith-gordon-gill-architecture_dezeen_2364_col_13.jpg

Debugging setting? It doesn't quite fit, but there are lots of reasons to have no vsync in development, both for performance testing and bug testing. This isn't video game development, but for some applications we'd turn off vsync and then capture the output buffer in automated testing in order to do analysis after the fact.
I'd expect a debugging setting to just be no vsync, not the weird range thing.

But I don't think this is VRR either. The VRR range would either be baked in for handheld display or come from querying the HDMI EDID, it'd never be defined by the developer. That wouldn't make sense, they don't control the display you play the game on.

On the flip side, an optional upper bound makes more sense for VRR than a variable framerate vsync thing, as there's no real reason to ever disable it for a variable refresh rate. It's just a weird group of settings without further context.

Are we thinking they're going to drop a trailer soon or just a confirmation that there is new hardware at some point
I'm delusional so - assuming the 2025 software-related delay is real - I'm gonna say they're gonna do a teaser that shows off everything short of the games. It'll be short, so no discussion over the features and gimmicks and what have you, but we'll definitely see something that will make us go "What is going on?" until they talk about the system at length. Maybe we'll see a five second clip of a new Mario game.

I'd expect a debugging setting to just be no vsync, not the weird range thing.
I had a look at WarioWare: Move It! and the older Bezel Engine does have a "No VSync" option.

So, in the older version:
  • No VSync
  • 15fps
  • 20fps
  • 30fps
  • 60fps

In the newer version:
  • "Fixed" 15fps
  • "Fixed" 20fps
  • "Fixed" 30fps <- what the devs selected for Endless Ocean Luminous
  • "Fixed" 60fps
  • "Variable" using range options (10~240fps by default)

Edit: I want to clarify that I'm talking about GPUs in general, not specifically about Van Gogh.
GHz ≠ TFLOPs

GHz = the number of instructions the GPU can execute per second (i.e. the GPU frequency)
TFLOPs = the number of arithmetic operations (e.g. addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) involving numbers with decimal points (floating point numbers) the GPU can do per second

Considering Samsung mentioned planning on launching LPDDR6 in 2026 at the earliest, I think Nintendo's more likely to use LPDDR6 than LPDDR5X-10700 for a revision since JEDEC's going to more likely than not officially validate LPDDR6, which likely enables Nintendo to source the LPDDR6 modules and the LPDDR6 controller from more than one company. On the other hand, I think Samsung's more likely than not going to be the only provider of the LPDDR5X-10700 modules and the LPDDR5X-10700 controller.

And Samsung's press release mentions Samsung starting mass production of LPDDR5X-10700 modules in 2H 2024.

In the best case scenario, Nintendo thinks that VRR is an important enough feature is important enough to support in handheld mode and TV mode.
Yeah I know 1 GHz doesn't = 1 TFLOP in a general sense, because the number of cores * frequency of each core gives the actual theoretical floating point number.
The math just happens to work out for SD where 1GHz on SD's GPU equals to ~ 1.0 TFLOPs, based on SD's number of cores.

Hmm that's interesting. I did some additional digging and Samsung says LPDDD5x-10700 will be used for some A.i. stuff (though I don't see why it can't be in gaming devices). Also, LPDDR6 could actually potentially release with snap dragon 8 gen 4 sometime in the latter half this year.

Will be interesting to see if Samsung releases lpddr6 or Sk Hynix. But if Samsung does it first, I don't see the point of the 5x-10700 then

It's really funny that there seems to be more info released on the 5x-10700 than lpddr6. We know the intended speed of lpddr6, but not the power draw or node size. Some analysts predict info will be released in Q3 of this year apparently.

Anyhow I guess it will come down to which one is cheaper...And that would be mostly based off in mass production. Since it seems like lpddr6 is will come out first and t in mainstream devices (2025). Will be interesting to compare the two in regards to power savings vs lpddr5. If lpddr6 is better in every way, why even

lpddr6 on a Switch 2 revision just seems like an odd choice to me though. it's like if lpddr5 came out on Switch OLED. A RAM module capable of 2x the bandwidth speed as lpddr5, only to be used for power draw purposes. I know lpddr6 will be much more mature by the time the revision comes out vs lpddr5's release and OLED switch, but still..

I guess lpddr6x could come out when switch 3 releases in 2033. 271 GB/s bandwidth?

Man what if tonight instead of an 8pm NSO tweet they fucking drop it

I know that will not happen for a dozen different reasons
They let the Switch 2 prototype drop
tonight and then they need to delay the Launch of the Console to 2026.

Last edited:
For licensing reasons, I'd be pretty shocked if NWC comes to NSO while standalone Tetris remains MIA.
Besides, 90% of people who regularly play NES Tetris are either running it on 100% original hardware or using a PC emulator with a mod like TetrisGYM (or even using a modified cartridge with TetrisGYM on original hardware), neither of which an NSO port can provide. It'd be like if Nintendo made an enhanced Switch port of Melee. Would it be cool? Yes. Would it be the definitive version? Not for the vast majority of people still playing it.

If there’s nothing, that’s a good thing, right? Since it increases the potential of a Switch 2 reveal next week?
Honestly, as fun as this all is, I think a confirmation during the financial briefing is equally likely regardless of what we get or don't get tonight. But if we get nothing tonight, we'll at least know Pyoro wasn't hinting at some NSO stuff.

HDR was on the 2013 PS4, if it’s not on switch 2, I will be so incredibly disappointed after how good the Mario movie looks in HDR.
Just a small note, PS4 didn't have HDR at release in 2013, though it was added via a software update for all PS4 systems in 2016 that significantly updated the HDMI controller itself.

I agree that Switch 2 should absolutely have it in all modes, for just... So many reasons.

Last edited:
I had a look at WarioWare: Move It! and the older Bezel Engine does have a "No VSync" option.

So, in the older version:
  • No VSync
  • 15fps
  • 20fps
  • 30fps
  • 60fps

In the newer version:
  • "Fixed" 15fps
  • "Fixed" 20fps
  • "Fixed" 30fps <- what the devs selected for Endless Ocean Luminous
  • "Fixed" 60fps
  • "Variable" using range options (10~240fps by default)
This makes the range option look like a replacement for or enhancement to the no Vsync option, which checks out, since the ability to turn Vsync off is how you get value out of a variable/smoothed frame rate setting. Though it still doesn't really make sense to me to enhance this feature further and expose it for Switch 1, where you can't disable Vsync, and so it could only be used in testing on devkits or Windows.

Last edited:
This begins the question of when will Pyoro tweet come through.

Like when pyoro hints at something, it’s either at the same day or a couple of day later.

With that it’s either we might get a small reveal trailer sometime next week or maybe it’ll be when Developers will be able to start talking about their games for the Switch 2 since Midori retweeted.

Like NSO is a no go, tournament is a no go because we had one last month.

The only thing I can see is either Switch 2 or something related to earthbound since someone mentioned earthbound zero wss revealed in a Nintendo championship.

Now we have to hope it isn't about nintendo world championship 2024 and also hope the bird gives us another hint soon or in the morning

Just a small note, PS4 didn't have HDR at release in 2013, though it was added via a software update for all PS4 systems in 2014 that significantly updated the HDMI controller itself.

I agree that Switch 2 should absolutely have it in all modes, for just... So many reasons.
*2016 was when the update happened

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom