• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

In fairness, DF was very clear that they are basing their assessment on rumors and the assumption that Nintendo would prioritize pricing over performance.

I didn't say TSMC 4N made more sense because nvidia/Nintendo was prioritizing performance over pricing. I'm saying TSMC 4N seems to make sense even from pricing POV.

Near the end of the segment, it was pointed out that it could be on a different node than the T234 due to the name change and the delay. Rich pointed out that there would be a slim chance of this due to Nintendo's typical approach, but concluded that this is not the same Nintendo as before, so we will have to wait and see.
If they're thinking SEC8N for T239 because the other Ampere GPUs were SEC8N, that logic is as bad as saying T210 will be on 28nm solely because other Maxwell GPUs were too. The T210 SoC, which has Maxwell-based GPU in it, ended up being fabbed on 20nm process.

Nintendo better not get arrogant again with the Switch's successor, before someone might compete against them.
What are we defining as arrogance? And what exactly would compete against them; since the major knock on any product would be the exclusive software they don’t have against Nintendo.

ngl node talk is my fave, anything to stoke the flame.
Sometimes we forget we are in a bubble here. DF's reasoning behind Switch 2 using a samsung node, and even 8nm (well, more so the former), is plausible, despite to many of us thinking it's absurd.

8nm in 2025 feels so outdated and backwards though. The size and power constraints is a bit suspect for 8nm, though some think it's still possible on a switch form factor. But a 5nm Samsung is starting to feel a tad more viable to me over 5nm/4nm TSMC. Again my reasoning behind this is because
1. It would be so much easier and cost effective for Nvidia to transfer 8nm Orion layout into 5nm on Samsung, and it would cost far less money and time than making it, vs on a different foundry all together.
2. Samsung offers even steeper discounts if Nintendo chooses screen, RAM, internal storage from them making it more affordable for consumers and more profit margins from them.

I don't know the chip yield for 5nm Samsung off the top of my head, but it would be cheaper than tsm for Nvidia and Nintendo, and meet the chip size and minimum power draw at least. 🤷🏽 They could probably fit in 3 TFLOPs GPU and 1.5GHz CPU.

I want it to be TSMC, but if Nintendo wants to save money (which they love), they could have gone to Samsung. They do care more about battery life on handheld and they would want to make it affordable. I hope I'm wrong and they chose 4nm TSMC. I have no real expectations on power anymore. DF's pessimism reminds me of WUST and the pre switch days when we were hoping for tx2 or 16nm node from the get go with 750-1000 TFLOPs from the get go. 😅

Last edited:
Sometimes we forget we are in a bubble here. DF's reasoning behind Switch 2 using a samsung node, and even 8nm (well, more so the former), is plausible, despite to many of us thinking it's absurd.

8nm in 2025 feels so outdated and backwards though. The size and power constraints is a bit suspect for 8nm, though some think it's still possible on a switch form factor. But a 5nm Samsung is starting to feel a tad more viable to me over 5nm/4nm TSMC. Again my reasoning behind this is because
1. It would be so much easier and cost effective for Nvidia to transfer 8nm Orion layout into 5nm on Samsung, and it would cost far less money and time than making it, vs on a different foundry all together.
2. Samsung offers even steeper discounts if Nintendo chooses screen, RAM, internal storage from them making it more affordable for consumers and more profit margins from them.

I don't know the chip yield for 5nm Samsung off the top of my head, but it would be cheaper than tsm for Nvidia and Nintendo, and meet the chip size and minimum power draw at least. 🤷🏽 They could probably fit in 3 TFLOPs GPU and 1.5GHz CPU.

I want it to be TSMC, but if Nintendo wants to save money (which they love), they could have gone to Samsung. They do care more about battery life on handheld and they would want to make it affordable. I hope I'm wrong and they chose 4nm TSMC. I have no real expectations on power anymore. DF's pessimism reminds me of WUST and the pre switch days when we were hoping for tx2 or 16nm node from the get go with 750-1000 TFLOPs from the get go. 😅
Quick question which would be the second best option if Nintendo neither go for 8NM or 4TSM.
Wouldn't either 5 or 6 Node be the most sufficient option and also the best one for us here.

Even if Nintendo could get a good deal on SEC8N vs TSMC 4N, there's the problem with yields. The former has lower yields, and even with working chips, not all are up to spec. Chip binning allows being able to sell as much of the silicon as possible by dropping chips under the designated spec to a lower tier. This works for companies like Nvidia that have different tiers with their products (Orin included), but I don't see console manufacturers making use of this. Supposedly at the start, the fabbing of the PS5 chip had roughly a 50% yield that matched the expected spec.

I've actually wondered if many of the TX1 chips set aside for the Switch were the result of binning. Having the lower clocks was probably on purpose by design due to things like battery life and heat, but having those lower clocks meant they could potentially take chips that couldn't be used for other devices designed for higher spec, therefore Nintendo having the supply they needed. Even with the TX1+, the clocks were kept low when they could have easily be clocked higher.

With the T239, it's almost certain that the only customer is Nintendo. Not even Nvidia themselves would be using it.

I can't see Switch 2 matching Steam Deck performance if launched at $299 either, at least in handheld mode. DF believes T239 will be an 8nm node APU due to costs and available capacity

Ah yes 8nm because it makes sense within the cost constraints of this device we have no idea what Nvidia is paying for nor do we know how much Nintendo plans to sell it for. You can make a safe guess I suppose but I seriously grow so tired of people trying to figure out Nintendo's rules for themselves only for them to immediately subvert those imagined rules.

Arrogant in the sense that they increase the prices of their hardware/software products, I don't want that to happen.
It would only be arrogance if the market rejects it throughly. Seemingly the market has not done that yet; so they may be justified in increasing the price even if the market as whole already has done this.

I don’t mean to post more anti 5nm propaganda, but if 5nm is so readily available, why are Sony and MS not using it in their rumored pro models? What are they using? 6nm? At least according to the MS court filings.

Cuz they’re not hybrid consoles. Those models don’t need to rely on lower power draws

Also, this isn’t really a question of “availability” either so not sure what you mean by “readily available”

From what I remember reading, unlike the 20 to 16nm jump, going from 8 to 5nm requires vastly different lithography methods which really over-complicates a die shrink and would require re-designing the chip on a whole new lithography method.
Although TSMC's 20 nm* process node and TSMC's 16FF process node both use ArF immersion lithography (DUV lithography), TSMC's 20 nm* process node uses planar transistors, a different type of transistor from what TSMC's 16FF process node uses, which are FinFETs. So I think transitioning from TSMC's 20 nm* process node to TSMC's 16FF process node is no less complicated than transitioning from Samsung's 8N process node to TSMC's N6 process node or newer, or Samsung's 5LPE process node or newer.
* → a marketing nomenclature used by all foundry companies

Last edited:
I don’t mean to post more anti 5nm propaganda, but if 5nm is so readily available, why are Sony and MS not using it in their rumored pro models? What are they using? 6nm? At least according to the MS court filings.
I thought PS5 Pro was rumored to use 4nm, not 6

I see the Switch 2 being just as succesful as the GBA. A bit more units sold than the 3ds because now all Nintendo games are on one system instead of being split between handheld and home console, but not as succesful with the gamers who bought the switch to play skyrim and doom, etc. Because they did this before the pc handhelds were a thing.

right around 81 million Is my gut feeling for switch 2 lol.
GBA was pushing Switch level numbers until DS kneecapped it.
1KMS6dI.png

If the Next Switch sells less than 90M units, it would be the lowest number of hardware sold per generation since the NES. I think it's impossible for us to see sales lower than Wii unless there's a major disaster.

GBA was pushing Switch level numbers until DS kneecapped it.
1KMS6dI.png
GBA was an impressive system: only around for a few years before DS came out and yet it imprinted so heavily on my brain. I really like that portable. While DS was maybe necessary in a world where 3D graphics and the PSP were rising and was at the very least extremely successful, I kind of wish we'd seen a reality where GBA got a few more years of dedicated support. I'd take a GBA 2 right now.

All this name talk and all of you just skip over “Switch DX (Deluxe)” like it’s nothing.
Nintendo Switch Attach

New Nintendo Switch
Nintendo Switch DX
Nintendo Switch Advance
Super Nintendo Switch
Nintendo Switch Too
Nintendo Switch 2

Nintendo Vision
Nintendo Switch Augmented System

Virtual Man (Bad joke, ok...)
Nintendo Switch XR

Nintendo Nexus

Forgot someone?!? 🤣

If the Next Switch sells less than 90M units, it would be the lowest number of hardware sold per generation since the NES. I think it's impossible for us to see sales lower than Wii unless there's a major disaster.
I don't know how you are labelling "per generation", but I'm pretty sure some Wii U owners also had a 3DS. You're double counting them as "reliable Nintendo purchasers." And I'm sure a decent chunk of those 3DS users were buying special editions/New 3DSes/second units. Those only happen if the base unit manages to hit a certain level of sustained popularity.

It's easy to imagine Nintendo vastly underselling the Wii, with no disasters, just a couple of less than perfect plays and a little bad luck. We're about the enter the Second War for the Handheld Market, with a hungrier Sony and Microsoft than we're used to.

Sony is certainly using N6 for the PS5 Pro. Like @darthdiablo mentioned, these consoles do not have the same power efficiency/size constraints as a portable console. In addition to this, N6 is cheaper per transistor than N5. I spoke with Kepler_L2 briefly about the cost of Viola (PS5P SoC) on N6, and he came to the conclusion that it would be about 320mm² on N6, vs the 260mm² die size of Oberon Plus (PS5 Slim SoC, also on N6).

This increase in die area, thus reducing yields, is lesser than the costs of having an N5/N4 based Viola even with its smaller die size and better yields.

As a fun addendum to anyone whose interested, here's some estimates of the costs of Viola and Oberon Plus. N6 wafer pricing is about $10k, defect density is about 0.09 defects per cm².
Viola: yield ≈ 84.3%, cost ≈ $67.47
Oberon Plus: yield ≈ 86.7%, cost ≈ $50.15

AMD commands about a 20% margin on their console SoCs. Sony thus would be paying (ignoring packaging and other costs) about $81 for Viola and about $60 for Oberon Plus. For those who expect the PS5 Pro to cost significantly more than the PS5 Slim, the largest change (and cost increase) between the two consoles is the SoC, which only represents roughly a $20 increase in BoM cost.

If they're thinking SEC8N for T239 because the other Ampere GPUs were SEC8N, that logic is as bad as saying T210 will be on 28nm solely because other Maxwell GPUs were too. The T210 SoC, which has Maxwell-based GPU in it, ended up being fabbed on 20nm process.
From what I know, Maxwell was originally designed for 20nm and had a rather rushed port job to 28nm due to the nodes flaws (low yield resulting in higher cost per transistor). Rather (in)famously, Nvidia publicly lambasted TSMC for 20nm's issues, a rather unprecedented break from the norms of customer/foundry relations.

T210 avoided this port for several likely reasons. 1) - the density and efficiency improvements from 20nm over 28nm were significant enough to overcome the cost increase; & 2) - Nvidia likely assumed that T210 would remain a much lower volume part than it ended up becoming, making a port not be economically viable

Regardless though, I agree with the sentiment that assuming T239 is also on 8N solely because T234 and consumer Ampere (GA10X) are also on the same node is flawed logic.

Last edited:
Quick question which would be the second best option if Nintendo neither go for 8NM or 4TSM.
Wouldn't either 5 or 6 Node be the most sufficient option and also the best one for us here.
In my opinion, the only probable nodes are Samsung 8N, and TSMC 4N and 7N (Nvidias customized N7 family process).

From what I understand, Samsungs later process offerings aren't PPA (price, performance, area) effective enough with TSMC N7 or N5 family nodes, aside from possibly Samsung 4LPP, although this node is likely too recent for T239 to have been designed for it. This issue is compounded by the fact that Nvidia already has products on and familiarity with the aforementioned 3 most probable nodes, making the design process more expensive in comparison.

TSMC 4N is a customized version of an N5 family process, likely most similar to N5P. The wafer cost is very similar between 4N and another N5 family process. Because of this, and that Nvidia is already utilizing 4N for Lovelace, Hopper, and Grace, another N5 family process being used for T239 is exceedingly unlikely.

7N is akin to 4N in that both are enhanced versions of TSMCs N7 and N5 process families, respectively. In fact, 7N utilizes some features from N6/N7+, in that it has single-diffusion breaks and is denser than base N7 (and therefore is also likely to be utilizing EUV layers). Because of this, N6 doesn't represent a significant enough improvement in PPA over 7N, and again, Nvidia already has existing products on 7N (including Ampere datacenter) making the design process easier/cheaper than on N6.

So to answer your question directly, in my opinion it would be 7N.

Last edited:
I think at this point if the Switch 2 is just basically a Steam Deck in performance, that would be incredibly disappointing. Especially since the Steam Deck games do NOT scale well at all at higher resolutions beyond 720p. Surely Nintendo could do better then that. At least I hope so! Steam Deck is a lot lower performance then a base PS4. Honestly I wouldn't even see that as much of an upgrade on the Switch we have now to be frank. Expecting/hoping for at least a PS4 Pro in docked performance. Anything less is mediocre in my view.

6nm TSMC I think.

I hope I'm wrong. I especially hope Rich's prediction of 8nm Samsung at launch and 5nm for a revision is wrong. It's something they could do. It just feels like 8nm for next year and 5nm in 2028 feel too late.

From what I know, Maxwell was originally designed for 20nm and had a rather rushed port job to 28nm due to the nodes flaws (low yield resulting in higher cost per transistor). Rather (in)famously, Nvidia publicly lambasted TSMC for 20nm's issues, a rather unprecedented break from the norms of customer/foundry relations.

T210 avoided this port for several likely reasons. 1) - the density and efficiency improvements from 20nm over 28nm were significant enough to overcome the cost increase; & 2) - Nvidia likely assumed that T210 would remain a much lower volume part than it ended up becoming, making a port not be economically viable

Regardless though, I agree with the sentiment that assuming T239 is also on 8N solely because T234 and consumer Ampere (GA10X) are also on the same node is flawed logic.
Perhaps. But it's also way easier and cost efficient to stick to the same foundry as t234 vs moving into an entirely different foundry. I'm hoping we at least get 5nm Samsung, which is equivalent in tsmc 7nm in performance. Obviously, 4nm TSMC is the best case scenario.

Is Digital Foundry out of the loop or is Famiboards ahead of the curve?
They're not. They are well aware of the discussions in this thread. Rich is the most skeptical of the bunch when it comes to a newer node and especially from TSMC.

Leaving aside the question of whether 8nm is cheaper... are we even confident this console is going to launch at $299?
I've been seeing most expect $400, a few are cautiously optimistic about $350, but I don't think I've seen anyone confident about $299. At least not in the past year or so.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm not saying nobody's floated the possibility of $299, just that I don't see anyone particularly confident in it.

Last edited:
Leaving aside the question of whether 8nm is cheaper... are we even confident this console is going to launch at $299?
No. Most of the discussion here seems to have centered at $400, and I've seen some mention $450. $350 or lower have been comparatively rare from my reading.

Last edited:
If DF's speculation is based on the $299 then the video itself doesn't make any sense, they're presupposing that Nintendo won't raise the price.

From what I remember reading, unlike the 20 to 16nm jump, going from 8 to 5nm requires vastly different lithography methods which really over-complicates a die shrink and would require re-designing the chip on a whole new lithography method.
I personally don't buy this reasoning. I think Nvidia are very capable of Die shrinks from Samsung to Samsung.

Do we know what kind of Samsung screen is likely to equip the Switch?

If we exclude QD-OLED, we are left with IPS, VA and even Micro-LED. What would be the advantages both for Samsung and Nintendo to go for either of those? And what are the features in each (HDR, VFR, local dimming, etc.) that we can expect to make the cut on Switch.

Do we know what kind of Samsung screen is likely to equip the Switch?

If we exclude QD-OLED, we are left with IPS, VA and even Micro-LED. What would be the advantages both for Samsung and Nintendo to go for either of those? And what are the features in each (HDR, VFR, local dimming, etc.) that we can expect to make the cut on Switch.
We don't think it will be a Samsung panel.

If DF's speculation is based on the $299 then the video itself doesn't make any sense, they're presupposing that Nintendo won't raise the price.
There are replying to a patreon question. But the whole 299 USD was immediately squashed. Neither Olli nor Rich or Alex believe the Switch 2 will be that affordable.
We don't think it will be a Samsung panel.
I would like to stick for a moment to the hypothesis that Nintendo could have a good deal from Samsung if it chose to source several parts/services from them (RAM, foundry, storage, screen, cartridge tech, etc.). I think we haven't fully profiled a Switch 2 yet that would be the result of such collaboration.

Rich is very paranoid on this issue (he also speculated it was 8nm in last year's video) and DF doesn't in fact have much inside info, so whether it's 8nm or not isn't a conclusion that can be discussed in theory, and we don't know anything about more detailed information about t239

Rich is very paranoid on this issue (he also speculated it was 8nm in last year's video) and DF doesn't in fact have much inside info, so whether it's 8nm or not isn't a conclusion that can be discussed in theory, and we don't know anything about more detailed information about t239

I don’t know if I’d use the word paranoid, but they have leaned into it in their content as opposed to just saying “we don’t know” and ignoring it entirely since we haven’t had any news around it.

They lean more into the idea of 8nm than they do the Gamescom leak. They assume that we must be misinterpreting the “Matrix Demo visually comparable to PS5 version”, and that it’s really the case of something like “Witcher 3 runs on Switch.”

I guess it’s safer for them to be pessimistic. Less backlash if they’re wrong.

I don’t know if I’d use the word paranoid, but they have leaned into it in their content as opposed to just saying “we don’t know” and ignoring it entirely since we haven’t had any news around it.

They lean more into the idea of 8nm than they do the Gamescom leak. They assume that we must be misinterpreting the “Matrix Demo visually comparable to PS5 version”, and that it’s really the case of something like “Witcher 3 runs on Switch.”

I mean, I do think a lot of people confuse the different visual representation of the Matrix demo on switch2 and ps5, but that doesn't stop DF from being overly conservative in their speculation when discussing the T239 process, and that speculation is most likely based on their presupposition that the T239 and orin series are the same process

Yeah, their main audience (mostly PC gamers) can be very aggressive if it comes to graphics. Even if Switch 2 aligns with our most optimistic expectations, they‘d call it underpowered after 4-5 years regardless.

When they put out that witcher thought experiment my heart sunk lmao. They could be right which would suck but reminding myself that the leap in technology will be so good for first party anyway made me feel better lol

I rewatched DF's video from last year, and they simultaneously put up the numbers that the t239 process is 8nm and floating point is 3tflops, I'm having a hard time imagining what kind of cooling technology would have to be used to do that in handheld specs

Nope. Because
1. Current switch OLED is at $350 and that's likely not being dropped in price until switch 2 comes out, which I also can't imagine more than $50 cut, though s $100 price cut at $250 could happen. But Hell the OLED would have to at least drop to $200 for a $300 switch 2 to occur at launch.

2. Inflation $299 in 2017 is like $350 now.

While I think $400 is a good bet at launch, releasing SKU with sku with a small storage at $350 is possible to get younger audiences to buy the console (or their parents).

Going for 8nm over 4nm because "cheaper" makes little sense to me. Yes, the 8nm chip might be a few bucks cheaper than 4nm, but then the device would need a much larger battery and heat sink. If the device is indeed 8nm it would not because a careful cost analysis, but because Nintendo was aiming for 2022 launch and then decided to delay for 3 years and not update the hardware.

Last edited:
I mean, I do think a lot of people confuse the different visual representation of the Matrix demo on switch2 and ps5, but that doesn't stop DF from being overly conservative in their speculation when discussing the T239 process, and that speculation is most likely based on their presupposition that the T239 and orin series are the same process

We only have second (or greater) hand word to go by with the statement made around comparable visuals. That said, calling Witcher 3 on Switch comparable to the PS4 version is very liberal use of the language.

I assume the explanation is one or more of the following:
  1. The system is actually surprisingly capable after DLSS in docked mode.
  2. The demo is more optimized than when it was originally demonstrated on PS5.
  3. An individual’s perception of detail could be inaccurate when games already look as good as they do. It’s the controversial diminishing returns rearing its head. I don’t think this is the same as their Witcher 3 comparison. The implication here is that, no technically it’s not as good, but it does for all intents and purposes look as good.
For all we know the demonstration was showing the two side by side, or whomever was demonstrating it made these claims to the viewers. We just don’t have those types of details.

Last edited:
For all we know the demonstration was showing the two side by side. We just don’t have those types of details.
Imagine if Nintendo did have a working PS5/Series X version of Matrix Awakens ready to show to developers at Gamescom and a demonstration (either physically or through pre-recorded video) of it on the T239 to show side-by-side. That'd be impressive.

Imagine if Nintendo did have a working PS5/Series X version of Matrix Awakens ready to show to developers at Gamescom and a demonstration (either physically or through pre-recorded video) of it on the T239 to show side-by-side. That'd be impressive.

I don’t presume to know what these events are like, but having some kind of a demonstration of a major third party game running side by side with a current generation console would be a flex.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom