• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

It’d be great if they made motion controls better, but I probably still wouldn’t use them. I don’t even like gyro aiming in Splatoon, and I’m pretty sure it’s an objectively superior way to aim.

Sorry for going a little off-course here, but I'm starting to hear from people that initial Switch prototypes began with a 540p screen and 2GB of RAM. The RAM I could see (though I assumed it began at 3GB like the Shield TV), but only a 540p screen? We know enough about Project INDY which last known would have a 480p 3D screen with half the power of a Wii U and 1GB of RAM. But, going from Mont Blanc to Tegra X1, the drop from a 480p 3D screen to a 540p screen doesn't sound right.

It’d be great if they made motion controls better, but I probably still wouldn’t use them. I don’t even like gyro aiming in Splatoon, and I’m pretty sure it’s an objectively superior way to aim.
Makes sense, everyone has their preference, but for me, it's somehow super comfortable, especially Splatoon 3 plus i always liked it when i was younger.

Check this out... is there a difference between those and the ones in t239? Other than being an 8-core config?
ed77efa0b692364011921e33bd49b798.png

What's everyone's opinion on motion controls here, like in my opinion it's one of the most comfortable way to aim, i'm saying this because how cool it is in Botw and Metroid prime remastered and resident evil 4 on the Wii.

And how would y'all feel if Nintendo somehow made it better for the switch 2

As long as it's optional, I'm good with them having it. This has always been such a double edge sword for accessibility and due to my issues, I can't really make use of it.

That said, there can always be made improvements of detection for it and I know that some implementations have not been the best for games that has included (ignoring the decision to make it mandator for some puzzles in BotW, there's definitely ways they could also improve upon usage of it as well).

Yes, I really doubt that the trilogy will remain exclusive to Sony for long, I even think it's likely that we'll see ports before the third part to build the hype.
When the article was retracted yesterday I thought that was the end of that. But today people were telling me these titles would be forever exclusive to Sony PS5. That pretty much killed all my hopes.

Having said that, I do hope that this isn't the case. Having the OG FF7-9 and 10 & 12 was wonderful on Switch. I had been rooting for this for years. And for the same to happen to the other FFs. But I am honestly confused about this whole thing.

Check this out... is there a difference between those and the ones in t239? Other than being an 8-core config?
there isn't any difference here. they're calling them e-cores because the performance cores are the X1s. I'm not sure if benchers can separate the efficiency cores from performance cores yet, but if they can on windows, that would be great for testing

That's really weird. The 8cx Gen 3 is not new. It's from 2021. I assume they mean the X Elite? If they got the name wrong though, then I wouldn't trust any of this.
Edit: I think what the notable part was CPUID creating a version of CPU-Z for ARM devices. So the images are probably right. But I guess don't trust the text.

Last edited:
My bold prediction twenty years from now is SSD's being the delivery mechanism for physical media. SSDs are hella expensive now, but could be cheap enough two decades into the future.
What?

Since Nintendo's first ever interchangeable game system, they have used solid state physical media on at least one concurrent device, from Famicom to NES, to Game Boy, SNES, N64, then GBA, DS and 3DS, and now Switch.

Since DS, this has been Game Card, flash storage mounted to a file system.

Which is what a solid state drive is.

Nintendo has NEVER not been using solid state physical media for as long as physical media has been used by Nintendo, even if they did have disk based media being sold concurrently.

My bold prediction twenty years from now is SSD's being the delivery mechanism for physical media. SSDs are hella expensive now, but could be cheap enough two decades into the future.
SSD is a very vague and fuzzy term. Basically all cartridges could be considered SSDs.
It's probably not built on the exact process node (to my recollection, it's Samsung 5nm, which isn't one that Nvidia has been known to work with), and half the cores are X1C, whereas T239 is generally expected to be all A78C cores.

I actually have a laptop with an 8cx Gen 3 in it (sort of regret that decision, Qualcomm's drivers are garbage), but I'm not sure I could coax it into doing an especially representative test.

I think the Brothers remake is actually quite encouraging. A muddy image on Series S, no doubt, but it's still extremely detailed and rich, with more optimisation and high quality upscaling, as we can hope to see for Switch 2 ports, we'd be pretty well equipped!

In the most optimistic scenario, T239 matches or scrapes by Series S, and in optimal conditions, Series S has a 720p60 render with Lumen and Nanite. 720p is a perfectly fine internal resolution to start with when you want to start upscaling. You could even shoot for 4K, especially if you do it by doing a temporal then spacial pass.

Like, yeah, I AM taking THE MOST optimistic figures from every column here, but, dare we have a little optimism? Even being more realistic, this seems to imply 540p60 in TV mode with Lumen and Nanite, before upscaling, is likely on the table for a well optimised game. 540p upscales pretty nicely to 1080p, more if you're brave!

I think this thing is going to be real neat. I am definitely still in the camp that the resolutions developers target with NG Switch will be much higher than many expect, through judicious (and if I may make a prediction, sometimes misguidedly aggressive) upscaling.

Edit:

Changing the subject.
I am expecting PS5 games at 4K to run at 1080p om Switch. PS4 games 1440p to 4K. Switch games? Definitely 4K.

Last edited:
I think the Brothers remake is actually quite encouraging. A muddy image on Series S, no doubt, but it's still extremely detailed and rich, with more optimisation and high quality upscaling, as we can hope to see for Switch 2 ports, we'd be pretty well equipped!

In the most optimistic scenario, T239 matches or scrapes by Series S, and in optimal conditions, Series S has a 720p60 render with Lumen and Nanite. 720p is a perfectly fine internal resolution to start with when you want to start upscaling. You could even shoot for 4K, especially if you do it by doing a temporal then spacial pass.

Like, yeah, I AM taking THE MOST optimistic figures from every column here, but, dare we have a little optimism? Even being more realistic, this seems to imply 540p60 in TV mode with Lumen and Nanite, before upscaling, is likely on the table for a well optimised game. 540p upscales pretty nicely to 1080p, more if you're brave!

I think this thing is going to be real neat. I am definitely still in the camp that the resolutions developers target with NG Switch will be much higher than many expect, through judicious (and if I may make a prediction, sometimes misguidedly aggressive) upscaling.
We do need to see some further optimisation here for this to be possible. Series S sticks much closer to native 454p in 60 fps mode, and furthermore does not hit its 60 fps target in seemingly any of the outdoors scenes. Getting a (presumably) stable60 fps at a 540p base resolution in docked mode will require some additional optimisations not present in the Series S build. Perhaps a dynamic resolution scale can alleviate stuff for Switch 2 as well (down to 432p for a 20% drop on each axis). Or they might stick with the quality mode at a solid 30 fps and render a higher-quality image.

Edit:

Changing the subject.
I am expecting PS5 games at 4K to run at 1080p om Switch. PS4 games 1440p to 4K. Switch games? Definitely 4K.

I’m expecting (hoping) for games to be visually cut down but run at greater than 1080p resolutions. Not sure what is realistic - it’s probably going to be case by case.

Edit:

Changing the subject.
Do you mean native res rendering here? Because if we utilise DLSS, then a Switch 2 game at native 4K on PS5 should be able to do something like 1440p DLSS output starting from a balanced (835p) or even quality (960p) base image I feel. Perhaps even a 4K image with DLSS performance (1080p base) or ultra performance (720p base) if the game is not maxing out the PS5 at native 4K.

If we consider "FSR up to 4K" from a base image of something like 1280p on PS5, then the situation changes, of course, and 1080p after DLSS is more likely.

Last edited:
What's everyone's opinion on motion controls here, like in my opinion it's one of the most comfortable way to aim, i'm saying this because how cool it is in Botw and Metroid prime remastered and resident evil 4 on the Wii.

And how would y'all feel if Nintendo somehow made it better for the switch 2
It depends on how it is utilized in the games imo.
Replacing what could be a simple button press with shaking the controller? That's a big yikes for me.
Gyro-aiming? YES PLEASE

Seriously though, i can't stress enough how forward thinking this decision from Nintendo was with Splatoon on Wii U. I recently played through Resident Evil 5 on my Switch for the first time and the gyro-aim made the game so much more enjoyable. I could've gotten a 60fps experience on PS5 with the PS4 version, but if given the choice between 60fps or gyro-aim, well, guess what i'll rather have in such cases. :p

I would absolutely not sacrifice overall graphical quality for 4K, personally. Both because I really could not possibly care less about 4K and also because to take advantage of it I'd have to buy a new monitor on top of the console.

That's actually not completely true - sending a 4K image to a 1080p or 1440p monitor will still result in a cleaner image. It's called super-sampling, and it's one of the best AA techniques. That said, I agree that chasing the 4K dragon to the point of sacrificing overall visual quality is dumb.

I would absolutely not sacrifice overall graphical quality for 4K, personally. Both because I really could not possibly care less about 4K and also because to take advantage of it I'd have to buy a new monitor on top of the console.
I agree. The asset density in certain gen 9 games like Plague Tale Requiem and Brothers is a great visual improvement in this generation imo. Would be nice to preserve that as much as possible imo, even if it means sticking to lower resolutions like 900p-1440p (after DLSS).

I don’t care about 4K specifically, but there’s quite a bit of room between 1080p and 4K.

I’d just rather never see sub 1080p on my TV again. We’re seeing it on some PS5 titles and I just don’t think it’s worth the squeeze for me personally.

Edit: This feels like it belongs in the other thread so hiding:

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Nintendo maintained an average of 1 exclusive game per month published by it in the Switch era.
I believe we had about 3 Wii U ports per year, without this feature Nintendo would drop its publications to around 9 per year, considering that perhaps 4K development slowed down the development of these games by 50%, we would still have 6 games per year.
It's not a bad average, but on the other hand Nintendo seems to have left the Wii U ports and is investing in remasters and remakes of their old consoles, let's say they manage to deliver 2 Re-releases per year, the average would already rise to 8 games/year , it could still put the 11 Billion in cash to work and guarantee an additional timed exclusive third party per year, now 9 games/year.
To conclude, it has constantly expanded its workforce which will help in the development of new games, and perhaps we will even see the creation of more internal development teams, it can also turn to indies for partnerships with its IPs, and of course, if the Third party support increases, even with fewer Nintendo games per year we wouldn't be left without something to play.

I don’t care about 4K specifically, but there’s quite a bit of room between 1080p and 4K.

I’d just rather never see sub 1080p on my TV again. We’re seeing it on some PS5 titles and I just don’t think it’s worth the squeeze for me personally.

Same, I don't care about 4k and personally I don't believe 4k in switch 2 is even real. I care more about stability, so, 1080p/closer to 60fps and I'm good.

----

I really want FFXV and FFXVI on my switch 2 😁 running smoothly at a decent resolution.

Y'all think Nintendo are is gonna take more inspiration from the handheld or home consoles.
Like we'll all talking if the switch 2 will be backward compatibility, but if we look at the handheld aspect, it's probably the systems that has some of the best backward compatibility. Like having backward compatibility for 14 years from GB-GBA is something that's absolutely insane, even the Ds and 3Ds has pretty good backward compatibility. So i'm currently wondering how the handheld and home console division are up to because their now combined as one.

Don't think of the post because i don't know how to insert image

Y'all think Nintendo are is gonna take more inspiration from the handheld or home consoles.
Like we'll all talking if the switch 2 will be backward compatibility, but if we look at the handheld aspect, it's probably the systems that has some of the best backward compatibility. Like having backward compatibility for 14 years from GB-GBA is something that's absolutely insane, even the Ds and 3Ds has pretty good backward compatibility. So i'm currently wondering how the handheld and home console division are up to because their now combined as one.

Don't think of the post because i don't know how to insert image

I‘m pretty sure that Switch 2 has BC, the question is if Switch 3‘ll be able to play Switch (1) games.

I‘m pretty sure that Switch 2 has BC, the question is if Switch 3‘ll be able to play Switch (1) games.
That's what i'm wondering because by doing the Gameboy approach they'll be able to support the switch for the next decade, by either releasing smaller ports or letting indies games still support the system and having Nintendo online.

Let's not make this day any more shit than it is, huh?

It's enough that i didn't get Unicorn Overlord and that the world lost Toriyama. ._.
R.I.P to toriyama he was a real one and influence my cousins and me immensely, especially since we're latin. Hopefully he'll find rest in the after live

That's what i'm wondering because by doing the Gameboy approach they'll be able to support the switch for the next decade, by either releasing smaller ports or letting indies games still support the system and having Nintendo online.
There's no real need to decide when the hardware supports BC. That's why the handhelds had it and thr consoles didn't

I was banking on FF7 remake trilogy eventually making it to the Switch NG, until I heard about the console exclusivity. Assuming the Switch NG could run it, I think it would sell pretty well. Squeenix could focus on a PC and Switch NG release, since apparently the PS5 debut for FF7 Rebirth sold much less than expected.
another game i could expect coming to Switch sucessor is Dragon Quest 12

the pointing aspect of the Joy-Cons need to be fixed, if Metroid Prime 4 or any game that use pointing, need to improve this aspect on Switch sucessor controller.

I was banking on FF7 remake trilogy eventually making it to the Switch NG, until I heard about the console exclusivity. Assuming the Switch NG could run it, I think it would sell pretty well. Squeenix could focus on a PC and Switch NG release, since apparently the PS5 debut for FF7 Rebirth sold much less than expected.
That article really changes nothing of the status quo. It still succinctly says timed exclusivity.

Due to the poor sales, I think SE will bend over backwards to put their Ff7 R on the Switch 2.

That will always occur. Just like with Resident Evil 4 exclusivity with the GC.

That article really changes nothing of the status quo. It still succinctly says timed exclusivity.

Due to the poor sales, I think SE will bend over backwards to put their Ff7 R on the Switch 2.

That will always occur. Just like with Resident Evil 4 exclusivity with the GC.
Yes but that will likely occur until the full trilogy is complete on PS.
Or perhaps their exclusivity deal only covered Xbox, in which case the Switch 2 might be good to go

I doubt Sony didn't make the exclusivity contract(s) airtight, at least in the way of allowing SQEX ways to port the games.

Yes but that will likely occur until the full trilogy is complete on PS.
Or perhaps their exclusivity deal only covered Xbox, in which case the Switch 2 might be good to go
Or their exclusivity deal was only for a certain amount of time, like 1 year, or 6 months. And the reason why it hasn't come to Xbox is because it's literally not worth it. People won't buy FF on Xbox.

Or their exclusivity deal was only for a certain amount of time, like 1 year, or 6 months. And the reason why it hasn't come to Xbox is because it's literally not worth it. People won't buy FF on Xbox.
FFXV on Xbox accounted for a decent amount of sales. Pretty sure MS will pay SE like they did for Nier both for the port & GP. Even still SE should be putting FF everywhere. Can’t really build much of anything if you’re never there consistently.

The only games that we know/expect are
Elden ring
16 new atlus/sega games that we'll be getting in the next couple of years
FF7, but not the game, they just tested it on the switch 2 Dev kit and said it ran similar to a ps5 dev kit.
The next resident evils games plus Re4 remake
And it's been rumored that platinum will release a trilogy pack of Bayonetta for the switch 2
and lastly the new monster hunter game, because Monster hunter and Nintendo mix pretty well together.
These are the only one that i know of.
We know of elden ring and re remakes?

As far as native is concerned, the Switch 3 would likely have a CPU that doesn't have 32-bit mode, so games like BotW, MK8D, etc would not run. But considering how strong the system would be, they might simply forgo any native BC with Switch 1 games and just go with emulation.

Yeah, I kind of wish this generation had been the 1440P gen and next gen (PS6, etc.) could have been the 4K gen.

But that does market as good as 8K!?! (I cannot believe Sony put that on the box. So silly.)

Yeah, I kind of wish this generation had been the 1440P gen and next gen (PS6, etc.) could have been the 4K gen.

But that does market as good as 8K!?! (I cannot believe Sony put that on the box. So silly.)
On the next box‘ll be written 16k, with no game supporting it. It‘s a new cycle.

Last edited:
Remake's expired in 2022. Rebirth will last until May.

It is unlikely, since DQ is in too many hands to agree on exclusivity, when the franchise has been proven a success on Switch.
Even outside of being a proven success on Switch, DQ’s main market is JP. Unless they really wanna gamble about Western sales significantly increasing to cover.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom