• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

The Joy cons in concept are my ideal controller so i really hope next generation makes them good instead of ditching them (yes i am aware the chance is nearly zero that they would ditch them) split controllers are great.
They pretty much represent all of Nintendo controllers. The motion control of the wii. The face buttons of the snes. The criss-cross sticks of the GameCube.

They pretty much represent all of Nintendo controllers. The motion control of the wii. The face buttons of the snes. The criss-cross sticks of the GameCube.
Trying to think of other ways they do this, and the Joy-Cons make pretty good NES substitutes.

Perhaps the new iterations will take this a bit further. If they can improve on replicating the Wii's IR controls in some form, for instance. Allowing additional Switch consoles to be used for different things would turn the controllers into the Wii U.

Still missing the analogue triggers from GameCube (haptic might work as a substitute?), and I really don't know how we're going to fit N64 into this.

We have pretty good reason to believe that the console has a new split controller, which is more likely than not in a similar form factor to the Joy-Cons.

The firmware has some support (part of which was added pretty recently) for a mysterious controller codenamed "fifty" which has left and right versions just like Joy-Cons. We can't conclusively tell what form "fifty" will take, but a next gen version of Joy-Cons that is adapted to the shape of the new device and probably picked up a new feature or two seems like a pretty logical guess.
But weren't those "fifty" controllers also referenced as HandheldLeft/Right as opposed to JoyLeft/Right which could imply that the controller are embedded in the device? The post by @dumbass_rabbit mentions that in the same sentence that they were ever first mentioned in this thread.

You do not know it for a fact, as you are, I'm afraid, incorrect. Just because two devices have similar problems doesn't mean that those problems have the same causes - any more than having a fever means you can only have the flu, and not some other viral infection.
So, yes, the thin size of the Joy-Con absolutely contributes to drift. All three console manufacturers use off-the-shelf sticks, and for cost reasons I imagine they'll continue to. It's unlikely that Nintendo can switch to the larger Dual Sense sized assembly, at even a modestly larger controller. So the better solution is an optical or hall effect stick. No clue how likely that is from a cost perspective
Hey, thanks for the added insight and for having my back. I really don't understand why everyone has to gang up on folks who are politely discussing valid ideas. This whole subtle implication that I or people discussing these ideas are stupid or trolling is really unbecoming of this community.

But weren't those "fifty" controllers also referenced as HandheldLeft/Right as opposed to JoyLeft/Right which could imply that the controller are embedded in the device? The post by @dumbass_rabbit mentions that in the same sentence that they were ever first mentioned in this thread.
Embedded controllers (i.e. the Switch Lite inputs) are referenced differently if I remember correctly.

The C buttons are the D buttons ;)

Also the need to discover neat methods of holding them to achieve different goals:
More games should use the thumbs up grip honestly

thumbsupcontrols.jpg

Add haptic touch surfaces to the shoulder buttons and you could scroll through weapons in between punches
Which titles use this, anyhow?

You know, there might be more '64 in this than originally thought.

Trying to think of other ways they do this, and the Joy-Cons make pretty good NES substitutes.

Perhaps the new iterations will take this a bit further. If they can improve on replicating the Wii's IR controls in some form, for instance. Allowing additional Switch consoles to be used for different things would turn the controllers into the Wii U.

Still missing the analogue triggers from GameCube (haptic might work as a substitute?), and I really don't know how we're going to fit N64 into this.
Nintendo will sell you a NES, SNES, N64, or Gamecube controller for the Switch. I don't understand why they won't sell you a Wii controller. I understand that there are technical hurdles, but I can think of multiple solutions that may not let an OG Wii controller work, but would certainly allow for an updated version. Mostly involving updating the camera,adding a tiny amount of compute (or maybe doing some video streaming and processing) and an adaptation of the sensor bar concept for newer flat panels.

Also, on the note of xbox style analog triggers, I've never found them particularly good and I'm kind of tired of pretending that they are. They're only really good for pretending it's a gun trigger. Otherwise, I'm going to just prefer digital triggers every single time. I never really even liked the ones on the GameCube, but there were a couple of games where they were sort of necessary.

But weren't those "fifty" controllers also referenced as HandheldLeft/Right as opposed to JoyLeft/Right which could imply that the controller are embedded in the device? The post by @dumbass_rabbit mentions that in the same sentence that they were ever first mentioned in this thread
If the controllers were embedded I would question why they would be recognized as separate left / right HID devices instead of a single controller, since they can't be detached. For example the HID devices list appropriately has separare left/right entries for the Famicom / NES joy cons and third party joy con, and single entries for the Pro Controller et al.

Handheld could just be a placeholder name to distiguish them from current Joy Con.

I don't think anyone denies that joy-cons suffer from drift the most because of their size, the lawsuits make that apparent. BingBong's post seemed to imply that size is the inherent reason for drift, the responses to their post bring up the other controllers because even while being in a larger enclosure, they also suffer from the worn out pots albeit at a lesser frequency and for a different precise reason. Maybe I'm projecting my own viewpoint onto @Bowser Sr. 's post, but I think the point is - you can have a small enclosure with no drift via hall effect sticks, or have a large enclosure but still get drift if you source the usual ones. Therefore, abandoning joy cons just to get rid of drift, which was what BingBong has been advocating for, doesn't seem like the move.
No, I wasn't saying a driftless joy-con is impossible. I'm sure Nintendo's likely already achieved it in their latest iteration. They've changed the joy-con design several times during the Switch's life.

But, again, size IS the inherent reason for the drift as it specifically applies to the joy-cons. That's what I asserted and what is true. I also gave like four other beneficial reasons for potentially eliminating them.
If the controllers were embedded I would question why they would be recognized as separate left / right HID devices instead of a single controller, since they can't be detached. For example the HID devices list appropriately has separare left/right entries for the Famicom / NES joy cons and third party joy con, and single entries for the Pro Controller et al.
Why are we even discussing stuff that's popping up in OG Switch firmware when Nintendo will be releasing a new device with an entire new firmware/OS?

Last edited:
I wish Ace Combat will have motion controllers similar to this game on the Wii:

I've played this game a lot using motion controls, twas fun while it lasted.

We have pretty good reason to believe that the console has a new split controller, which is more likely than not in a similar form factor to the Joy-Cons.

The firmware has some support (part of which was added pretty recently) for a mysterious controller codenamed "fifty" which has left and right versions just like Joy-Cons. We can't conclusively tell what form "fifty" will take, but a next gen version of Joy-Cons that is adapted to the shape of the new device and probably picked up a new feature or two seems like a pretty logical guess.

Fifty seems like a fitting code name for split controls because it seems to reference 50/50 or 50% of 100

New console is named Nintendo Switch 💯 confirmed.

Embedded controllers (i.e. the Switch Lite inputs) are referenced differently if I remember correctly.
Correct. Embedded controllers have the types System and Embedded, not HandheldLeft/HandheldRight and LeftController/RightController like Fifty. The Fifty controllers have two separate PIDs in the vendor ID mapping table. They're two distinct devices.

I never really even liked the ones on the GameCube, but there were a couple of games where they were sort of necessary.
This is the reason we've never gotten proper F-Zero boost power -- can't make those hairpin turns without engaging the click.

Other than ARMS, I know Fitness Boxing 2 and Fitness Boxing Fist of the North Star.
Oh, rad. I'm sensing a theme here, and it really makes sense. That's neat. So this is what would be used for a new Punch-Out!! were it to have motion controls.

It's another example, though, of why it would be silly to toss this sort of control altogether.

I don't think anyone disagrees that a unibody Switch wouldn't be easier to engineer and could provide a sturdier unit with more spaced out controls. The point folks have been exhausting for many pages is that Nintendo is shipping a hybrid console and not just a dedicated handheld, and they willingly compromised the benefits of embedded controls to create the hybrid UX. What they give up in full sturdiness and flexible button/stick layout, they gain in providing split motion controls, wireless controllers out of the box without packing in an extra controller, and immediate multiplayer. The benefits of the joy cons for the hybrid presentation and flexibility are too strong which is why people - even people who rarely use detached joy con like me - are resistant to the idea of ditching them. It would result in a more convoluted and compromised device compared to the current Switch.

I've used third party joy con where all they did was increase the stick size and add a grip, and that provided a dramatic shift in comfort.

Last edited:
Nintendo will sell you a NES, SNES, N64, or Gamecube controller for the Switch. I don't understand why they won't sell you a Wii controller. I understand that there are technical hurdles, but I can think of multiple solutions that may not let an OG Wii controller work, but would certainly allow for an updated version. Mostly involving updating the camera,adding a tiny amount of compute (or maybe doing some video streaming and processing) and an adaptation of the sensor bar concept for newer flat panels.

Also, on the note of xbox style analog triggers, I've never found them particularly good and I'm kind of tired of pretending that they are. They're only really good for pretending it's a gun trigger. Otherwise, I'm going to just prefer digital triggers every single time. I never really even liked the ones on the GameCube, but there were a couple of games where they were sort of necessary.

We have yet to get an NSO-style GameCube Controller for the Switch but its fun thinking about what an NSO-style Wii Controller would look like.

• USB-C instead of accessory port
  • Screenshot button on the side
  • Full Gyro instead of “Wii Motion Plus”

I would assume the Nunchuk would be wireless unless they want to preserve the cable for nostalgic reasons. They would probably connect like a pair of Joy-Cons.

Fun thought: would it come with the jacket? If so would you rock it or take if off?

We have yet to get an NSO-style GameCube Controller for the Switch but its fun thinking about what an NSO-style Wii Controller would look like.

• USB-C instead of accessory port
  • Screenshot button on the side
  • Full Gyro instead of “Wii Motion Plus”

I would assume the Nunchuk would be wireless unless they want to preserve the cable for nostalgic reasons. They would probably connect like a pair of Joy-Cons.

Fun thought: would it come with the jacket? If so would you rock it or take if off?
My thinking is that it would still use the same nunchuck and the same accessory port. This is about the nostalgia and straightforward ports/emulation from Wii. I think the main updates would be improvements in the wii-mote itself. I think camera would get an upgrade and would become more fisheye than anything, and the sensor bar would be two pieces and would connect to the top corners of the TV. The controller would then process where it thinks the IR dots are into an approximation for use for Wii emulated games. It would probably get the same gyro as what's in the joycons. It would come with the jacket and the strap.

The end point is that every generation of Nintendo game should be able to be represented fairly accurately.

I'd even do one more for DS and 3DS. I'd allow the system to stream a second screen to a phone app. Combine that with a grip that would turn a pair of joycons into a backbone one type controller, and it becomes fairly easy to port DS, 3DS, and Wii U titles without having to rework the controls in most situations.

Yes. I've thought about this too much.

Just to check in but is there anything new regarding news that came after Nate's podcast? Was the last time I checked the thread and we made some pages since
Sadly there has not been anything new. Just a bunch of facepalming about joycons or lack thereof. Your life will be immeasurably better if you go away until Monday and skip the pages of posts that will come about over the weekend.

I think my biggest wish for the Switch 2 launch is that they find a way to take the scalpers out of the equation.

My thought would be to track what Valve did with Steam Deck, and allow online preorders (for shipping) and prioritize based on how much people have spent on their Nintendo account. Put it into tiers. $1000+ tier, $500+ tier, and $100+ tier.

Anything lower than that can't preorder that way and can pick up at retail.

I'm certainly not arguing for a summer release. I'm just saying that if we take the Switch release as the minimum window between announce/reveal and launch, they could release during the summer.
At least for the MyNintendo Store they could do a waitlist and limit it to 1 per account for some time. They already did this with some special edition games and Amiibo here in Europe/Germany.

If there is no Joy-Con, you would have to take the entire device out of the base just to scan an amiibo, if you do not get a Pro Controller, which seems impractical, unless they move the NFC reader on the top of the device. Whereas now you just need to tap in on the Joy-Con when docked if you are using them.

How does one reconcile the belief that there will no longer be joycon/gyro with the belief that it will have BC?
Selective BC that cuts out a chunk of the library.

It would be dumb and stupid and I would hate it...but if Nintendo wants it, then there's no technical reason stopping them.

The Switch 2 will have 8 GB RAM, 64 GB storage, no Joy-Cons, no Gyro, be weaker than a SteamDeck, and have no backwards compatibility. It's final name will be the Nintendo Because.
Also the SOC is 8nm

The Switch 2 will have 8 GB RAM, 64 GB storage, no Joy-Cons, no Gyro, be weaker than a SteamDeck, and have no backwards compatibility. It's final name will be the Nintendo Because.
And it's big third party launch title is "Just cause Remaster". Not a collection, or new title, just a remaster. Just cause

Years of anticipation and now I just want this device revealed so we can put the Joy-Con speculation to rest. But well, at least not many people believes that no Joy-Cons is a real possibility. We are reasonable folks after all.

Not having Joy-Cons would feel like a huge downgrade to me. Some of the best memories I've made with the Switch over the years have been playing tabletop mode with a friend. Taking away some of the flexibility that the console offers would feel like taking a few steps back.

At the same time, I wouldn't mind a solid piece of hardware where the switch tends to feel wobbly over the years, and also the issues with the Joy-Cons disconnecting while attached to the console.

But overall, I would prefer an improved version of the Joy-Cons. I love having the flexibility to choose on the go.

If it was embedded, there wouldn't be separate left and right ones.
Why are we even discussing stuff that's popping up in OG Switch firmware when Nintendo will be releasing a new device with an entire new firmware/OS?
It's not going to be entirely new. They're pretty clearly developing the firmware for the new hardware with the same codebase.

Not having Joy-Cons would feel like a huge downgrade to me. Some of the best memories I've made with the Switch over the years have been playing tabletop mode with a friend. Taking away some of the flexibility that the console offers would feel like taking a few steps back.

At the same time, I wouldn't mind a solid piece of hardware where the switch tends to feel wobbly over the years, and also the issues with the Joy-Cons disconnecting while attached to the console.

But overall, I would prefer an improved version of the Joy-Cons. I love having the flexibility to choose on the go.
One moment I will never forget with my Switch was when my mom dragged me to a parade I didn't really care about, and I ran into a friend who had also been forced out of the house that night. We ended up playing Fast RMX against each other with the Switch on a window sill thanks to the Joy-Con. It felt so oddly specific that I thought it would be the perfect kind of example to have in a Switch commercial at the time. It was wonderful.

I also remember playing the Kirby Star Allies minigames at Burger King (at this point I had an extra pair of Joy-Con so there were four of us). I love the Joy-Con, seriously.

Ohhh what did i read while parsing through the pages i missed since yesterday evening?

Is that ... rumors about March being a full on reveal "event" with games and pre-order opening?

If that's really how it's going to happen, then rejoice Team H1, this is how we win.

These based in anything? I haven't really given much time to this thread since the anti joycon rhetoric started.

Necro published a report on his site, there's mention of games being announced/prepared for March and that retailers get ready to open up pre-orders.

It's not going to be entirely new. They're pretty clearly developing the firmware for the new hardware with the same codebase.
How is this pretty clear? I promise I'm not being pedantic. Mind linking me to more firmware discussion or some reasoning as to why folks are making these conclusions and are somehow so sure of them?

Necro published a report on his site, there's mention of games being announced/prepared for March and that retailers get ready to open up pre-orders.
If they open up pre-orders it must be pretty darn close to launch. I gave up on H1 awhile ago and idk if I have the strength left to believe again.

What remasters are we expecting with something that’s effectively a generational leap compared to the original Switch? (if the rumors are true think PS4/PS4 Pro level depending on DLSS usage)

I think the Unova remake is kind of a given at this point. But apart from that it would be really interesting to see a remaster of the original Animal Crossing and/or the original Splatoon. I would personally hope for Sunshine/Galaxy/Galaxy 2 to get a remaster treatment too. There are some really cool fluid mechanics in Sunshine and Splatoon that can benefit from the GPU grunt. I also think there’s a good chance that we see the return of Star Fox as a franchise but with at least one remake or remaster, and I think Assault or Command make sense to receive good remasters. As well as F-Zero GX. Zelda wise a Link Between Worlds, Phantom Hourglass, and/or Spirit Tracks would be pretty cool.

Years of anticipation and now I just want this device revealed so we can put the Joy-Con speculation to rest. But well, at least not many people believes that no Joy-Cons is a real possibility. We are reasonable folks after all.
would you say that natedrake and spawnwave are unreasonable?

What remasters are we expecting with something that’s effectively a generational leap compared to the original Switch? (if the rumors are true think PS4/PS4 Pro level depending on DLSS usage)

I think the Unova remake is kind of a given at this point. But apart from that it would be really interesting to see a remaster of the original Animal Crossing and/or the original Splatoon. I would personally hope for Sunshine/Galaxy/Galaxy 2 to get a remaster treatment too. There are some really cool fluid mechanics in Sunshine and Splatoon that can benefit from the GPU grunt. I also think there’s a good chance that we see the return of Star Fox as a franchise but with at least one remake or remaster, and I think Assault or Command make sense to receive good remasters. As well as F-Zero GX. Zelda wise a Link Between Worlds, Phantom Hourglass, and/or Spirit Tracks would be pretty cool.
For remasters, TOTK is an obvious target being the biggest recent release, but I think Xenoblade 3 can also get a great glow-up on the new system.

For new games: I personally still think that platformer and karting games can benefit from the increased memory read speed to create more complex level design à la Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart (without sacrificing scene complexity).

Regarding visuals: ray-traced ink will be a spectacle to behold in Splatoon 4, and I think overly ambitious visual games like Xenoblade can finally hit a good mix between scene complexity and image quality.

would you say that natedrake and spawnwave are unreasonable?
If I'm honest I didn't listen the podcast segmente about the Joy-Con. I'm purely talking about what I'm reading here. In any case, I don't find the expectation that Nintendo ditches Joy-Con reasonable at all.

For remasters, TOTK is an obvious target being the biggest recent release, but I think Xenoblade 3 can also get a great glow-up on the new system.

For new games: I personally still think that platformer and karting games can benefit from the increased memory read speed to create more complex level design à la Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart (without sacrificing scene complexity).

Regarding visuals: ray-traced ink will be a spectacle to behold in Splatoon 4, and I think overly ambitious visual games like Xenoblade can finally hit a good mix between scene complexity and image quality.
Tears of the Kingdom I feel will receive something like a next-gen patch anyway. Not necessarily a full-fledged remaster. I would also be very surprised if Nintendo did not end up utilizing the benefits of higher read speeds like Rift Apart did and also think they are inextricably suited for 3D Mario and potentially Mario Kart.

I think Metroid Prime 4 has a strong case to implement ray-traced global illumination and perhaps even shadows and/or ambient occlusion. Ray-traced reflections would also help the Unova remake really indulge in its art direction.

Tears of the Kingdom I feel will receive something like a next-gen patch anyway. Not necessarily a full-fledged remaster. I would also be very surprised if Nintendo did not end up utilizing the benefits of higher read speeds like Rift Apart did and also think they are inextricably suited for 3D Mario and potentially Mario Kart.

I think Metroid Prime 4 has a strong case to implement ray-traced global illumination and perhaps even shadows and/or ambient occlusion. Ray-traced reflections would also help the Unova remake really indulge in its art direction.
I think for most Switch games, a next gen patch is more than sufficient. I dont see native Switch games getting full remasters.

I also think the same about PS4 to PS5, but they happened anyway.

Nintendo uploaded the official English translation of Nintendo's Q&A session for the nine months financial briefing for the fiscal year ending on March 2024.
Q1:
You previously explained that Nintendo Switch, in its seventh year since launch, had entered "uncharted territory." Looking back now at the nine months until the end of holiday sales season, how do you see the Nintendo Switch business as having performed this fiscal year? I'd also like to know whether good performance in the Nintendo Switch business will impact the time frame for the launch of new hardware.

A1:
Shuntaro Furukawa (President and Representative Director, Member of the Board):
Last year, when Nintendo Switch entered its seventh year since launch, we said we had entered uncharted territory because, in the history of our dedicated video game platform business, it was unprecedented to expect sales of 15 million units of hardware and 180 million units of software in the seventh year of the life of a system. When we look at the sales situation so far this fiscal year against this backdrop, we believe that hardware sales have held stable since the first half and that the holiday season results were steady. Increasing the number of new consumers has become more difficult, given that the platform is in its seventh year after launch, but as previously discussed, we want to maintain momentum in the business through a good balance of both first-time buyers and demand for multiple units. During the holiday season, we noted a particular rise in first-time buyers of our hardware, and we see this as a positive sign for the Nintendo Switch business going forward.

Looking at software, although overall unit sales were slightly lower year-on-year, we released new titles for flagship Nintendo IP including The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Pikmin 4, and Super Mario Bros. Wonder this fiscal year, and were enjoyed by many consumers. I think that this year has been meaningful, both in terms of releasing a steady stream of new Nintendo titles, and in terms of increasing the popularity of these kinds of series going forward.

Regarding new hardware, we are unable to make any comments beyond saying that our company is constantly conducting research and development on new hardware and software. As we mentioned before, articles claiming to reference information released by Nintendo and other speculations have been appearing mainly on the internet lately. Information that has not been officially announced by Nintendo can mislead consumers and investors. We encourage you to exercise good judgment based on the information we provide on our official websites and social media accounts. It takes a long time and thorough planning to get ready for new hardware, and those plans are not impacted by whatever the latest business conditions might be.

Q4:
If you subtract hardware unit sales for the first three quarters from the revised full-year forecast, the estimated sales for the fourth quarter (January to March) are calculated to be less than 1.8 million units. That seems quite low for a fourth quarter, but do you think it is a reasonable number? I'd also like to hear your thoughts on projected hardware sales for the next fiscal year.

A4:
Furukawa:
Hardware sales are moving generally as expected, but based on sales in the third quarter, we have increased our forecast for the full year by 0.5 million units. The outlook for the fourth quarter is basically unchanged from the beginning of the fiscal year. As Nintendo Switch is entering its eighth year, we do not think it will be easy to maintain sales at the same level as in the past.

We will present a hardware unit sales forecast along with our earnings forecast for the next fiscal year when we announce our financial results for the current full year. That being said, Nintendo Switch has already entered uncharted territory, and I think it will be hard for the unit sales to grow at the same pace next fiscal year as they have to date. Even so, many people worldwide got their hands on a Nintendo Switch for the first time this holiday season, and we were able to maintain high levels of engagement with the hardware. A number of new titles are set for release next fiscal year, both from Nintendo and other software publishers, and by continuing to promote the appeal of those titles as well as existing ones, we aim to maintain the momentum of the overall Nintendo Switch business.
Q5:
It seems that Nintendo's approach to the life cycle of hardware has changed since the launch of Nintendo Switch. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the difference between Nintendo Switch and past platforms, and what is being emphasized in your research and development of a next-generation platform.

A5:
Furukawa:
The major difference between Nintendo Switch and past platforms is that we have integrated a handheld system and a home console system, which in the past were two separate platforms. That allowed software development resources to be concentrated on Nintendo Switch. We have been able to release a continual stream of new titles, and one result is a longer life cycle compared to past platforms.

Looking to the future, the most important thing for Nintendo is that we provide people with distinctively Nintendo entertainment that is fun and surprising in new ways. At the current time, we believe that our integrated hardware software dedicated video game platform business is the optimal way to continue to offer our unique entertainment, and that policy will continue to guide our research and development initiatives going forward.

Another difference from past platforms is that we have been working with DeNA to spread the use of Nintendo Account since before the launch of Nintendo Switch. Nintendo Accounts are an important touch point for maintaining long-term connections with our consumers. They can be used when consumers migrate to new hardware. Furthermore, they are also an important way for us to reconnect with people who have been taking a break from video games for a while and then, at some point, become interested in the unique entertainment that Nintendo has to offer. From that perspective, I believe that Nintendo Accounts will continue to be important going forward.

Last edited:
I think for most Switch games, a next gen patch is more than sufficient. I dont see native Switch games getting full remasters.

I also think the same about PS4 to PS5, but they happened anyway.

I think they will do both. Patches (maybe paid, depending on how much the patch brings) for those who want a cheap(er) way to play them with improvements, and native versions (of recent evergreens) to reach new customers who held off for whatever reason.

I think they will do both. Patches (maybe paid, depending on how much the patch brings) for those who want a cheap(er) way to play them with improvements, and native versions (of recent evergreens) to reach new customers who held off for whatever reason.
But do you think they will remake a Switch 1 games from the ground up for Switch 2? I personally dont see that hapening.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom