• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Would love to imagine your posts if the Lord of the Rings trilogy was all new and you were all screaming that Peter Jackson was the worst choice ever I mean he did Bad Taste and Braindead ! He even starred in Bad Taste and threw up all over the set ! Tolkien must be spinning in his grave, I mean what the hell where they thinking with this load of shit ?!

This will ruin TOTR forever and fail miserably !

Would love to imagine your posts if the Lord of the Rings trilogy was all new and you were all screaming that Peter Jackson was the worst choice ever I mean he did Bad Taste and Braindead ! He even starred in Bad Taste and threw up all over the set ! Tolkien must be spinning in his grave, I mean what the hell where they thinking with this load of shit ?!

This will ruin TOTR forever and fail miserably !

Talk about a false equivalence.

image.png

Switch is going to sell alongside Switch 2 for years, they have no way to address the $199 and even $299 market without it, and that won't change until they can bring the Switch 2's price down with various different models.

Well that's certainly something to chew on.
They've been saying this for a while. Just means Switch will continue to be sold and supported for another year or two.

They've discontinued some models in some regions and ceased nearly all extended warranty programs, the hardware itself is winding down and they'll want new users and people looking for an upgrade or a second Switch to look to the new generation eventually. That doesn't mean abandoning 130+ million users. With the traditional bounds of a console generation firmly broken, I expect this to carry through into the next generation, with extended cross-gen support from first party studios and partners.

Mario Wonder sales were in that briefing as well

Super Mario Bros. Wonder, which was released worldwide on October20, achieved global cumulative sales of 4.3 million units within the first two weeks. This makes it the fastest-selling* Super Mario related title.

This is good

They wanna make sure when the Switch 2 is released that they still want the Switch to be continued.

I think this slide really indicates and promises everyone, even though we are going to release the successor, we still are supporting the switch.

Recent converstions have been avoiding the idea that the Switch 2 will be marketed as a device that is also a "part of the Switch family of systems", but I still think that's as likely now as it was a year or two ago when it was first proposed here.

Getting to the biggest issue with the idea: how would next-gen exclusives be handled in a world where Nintendo is trying to promote some loose software parity between console generations? I don't think Nintendo would care if third parties decide to make early exclusives just for the Switch 2, but I wonder if new first party games will continue to have Switch 1 versions for many years to come.

We all assume that would mean they're Switch 1 games that are upscaled with better performance and better textures for Switch 2, but what if Nintendo tries to create Switch 1 ports of games effectively developed for the Switch 2? My first thought is that something like that would be more trouble than it's worth, but I know better than to predict what Nintendo thinks is too troublesome, even in this case.

The "long-term relationships supported with Nintendo Account" slide has been updated. Previous:

01.png

Current:

02.png

But what could it mean? Maintaining details such as software purchase history across platform generations... but why? What are they trying to communicate by saying that? I just can't put my finger on it.

The "long-term relationships supported with Nintendo Account" slide has been updated. Previous:

01.png

Current:

02.png

But what could it mean? Maintaining details such as software purchase history across platform generations... but why? What are they trying to communicate by saying that? I just can't put my finger on it.
Clearly they just want users to be able to look at their lifetime purchase history and do absolutely nothing with it. That's gotta be it. There's no other reason to keep track of past purchases. Nope, none at all. Just no reason at all.

Recent converstions have been avoiding the idea that the Switch 2 will be marketed as a device that is also a "part of the Switch family of systems", but I still think that's as likely now as it was a year or two ago when it was first proposed here.

Getting to the biggest issue with the idea: how would next-gen exclusives be handled in a world where Nintendo is trying to promote some loose software parity between console generations? I don't think Nintendo would care if third parties decide to make early exclusives just for the Switch 2, but I wonder if new first party games will continue to have Switch 1 versions for many years to come.

We all assume that would mean they're Switch 1 games that are upscaled with better performance and better textures for Switch 2, but what if Nintendo tries to create Switch 1 ports of games effectively developed for the Switch 2? My first thought is that something like that would be more trouble than it's worth, but I know better than to predict what Nintendo thinks is too troublesome, even in this case.
I don’t really think it that difficult. The biggest core IPs for Nintendo will most likely be exclusive. These are the titles that drive console sales for the most part:
  • Mario Kart
  • Smash
  • Animal Crossing
  • The next Splatoon
  • 3D Mario
  • Zelda
After that most of their catalogue can be cross-gen but it will be discretionary & most likely these types of games will more likely be cross-gen then not: certain mid-tier games, smaller franchises, remakes/remasters.

01.png

Current:

02.png

Obviously they wanna sell you the games again while going full digital & nixing physical cards from the previous hardware.

My boys, copium or confirmation bias or whatever you want to call it, but this:

- "We will continue"
sounds like they're releasing Switch 2 soon and want to assure Switch owners they're not abandoning and will continue to support them! And,

- "without being bound by the traditional concept of the platform lifecycle" sounds like BC confirmation!

No I'm not smoking anything. Only had a double sausage sandwich in Turkish bread. Maybe it's the Turkish bread.

We don't actually have any evidence that mass production is going to start imminently or early next year. We have evidence of very small quantities of parts that appear to be ready for mass production being sent to a factory in Vietnam. We have no idea what the timeline is, and anyone who has tried to estimate it in this thread has (reasonably) said to take it with a very big pinch of salt, because the information we have is really limited. Historical precedents are stronger evidence, because we know for a fact what happened in the past. Doesn't mean it will happen again necessarily, but it's a clue, and it's usually more reliable than guessing at what little current information there is
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

- "We will continue"
sounds like they're releasing Switch 2 soon and want to assure Switch owners they're not abandoning and will continue to support them! And,
There was a whole slide dedicated to this line lol (slide 53)

New titles will continue to be released for Nintendo Switch going forward.
one liner slide

Edit: it leads into the next couple of slides, but still

Well that's certainly something to chew on.
I'm laughing! AHJHJAHJAHJHJAHJAHJHJ Like, literally! Nintendo don't comfort to traditional console lifecycle norms xDDD

I think it's a given that the Switch's successor will share its form factor. As to its name? I don't know. If they want to differentiate the successor from the current family of systems, they could go for a different name. I've said it before, but the Switch brand could be saturated, so that could carry over to a Switch 2.
-- Then again, we have the PlayStation case, but that brand has carried goodwill since the 90's. The Switch is a recent brand, and one that has outlived the traditional life cycles of a video game console. I'm honestly betting on both accounts being possible: Switch 2 or something else. Like Duo.

Oh give it up already Nintendo and just announce the damn thing.

I really hope they don't fuck themselves over with a 2025 launch. That would seriously be catastrophic.
I’ve been saying this from the a while, but Nintendo was never going to announce the system this year & hurt their holiday sales. It’s the most lucrative time of the year for a reason.

We’ll see the Switch 2 early next year (probably March), we just have to be patient.

01.png

Current:

02.png

Microsoft is buying them

What’d you see about BC?
That was in reference to the slides I posted above. It isn't a confirmation of anything. Just an elaboration of a prior corporate talking point, relevant to my argument that Nintendo putting "long-term relationships" and "purchase history" in the same context wasn't accidental, now bolstered by the explicit mention of crossing "platform generations" whereas it was more vaguely about the future before.

My prediction: Nintendo will announce the device after Christmas but before February. Before the announcement, someone will leak a shell and/or prototype that 1/2 of the users will call fake.

The new device will be out in April to kick off Nintendos new FY. The switch OG and lite will be discontinued (to be announced soon) and the OLED model will have a drastic price drop before next holiday season.

What I don’t know (from lurking on this thread for ages) is where the next nVidia shield falls during the next year or so. Will nVidia utilize the new Switch chipset at some point or will they bail on the Shield altogether. Not sure if anything related to the shield was in the big nvidia leak.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

Imagine if after all this they actually announced it at TGA. I know people like to claim it's too big and Geoff would never get a scoop like that, but it wouldn't even be the first time he got a console announcement.

There were almost 31 hours between the time the Fiscal Results Explanatory Material slides for the fiscal year 2023 were released back in May to when the transcript for the Q&A session with investors was released, and then it took almost another two days for the official English translation of that transcript to be available.

For anyone waiting for these, note that it will likely be a while before anything is released.

Edit: The Explanatory Material this time around was released over 20 hours ago as of the time of this post, so a good chunk of that wait has already happened.

Last edited:

There were almost 31 hours between the time the Fiscal Results Explanatory Material slides for the fiscal year 2023 were released back in May to when the transcript for the Q&A session with investors was released, and then it took almost another two days for the official English translation of that transcript to be available.

For anyone waiting for these, note that it will likely be a while before anything is released.

So by the end of the week or Monday.

To be clear, the explanatory material for this earnings was already released ~20.5 hours ago. What just got released was the additional presentation material from the Corporate Management Policy Briefing that comes along with the six months results.

Times in EST (GMT-5).
  • Last year
    • Nov 8 1:35 AM - Explanatory Material
    • Nov 8 8:42 PM - Presentation
    • Nov 9 9:01 AM - Q&A
    • Nov 11 3:42 AM - Eng Q&A
  • This year
    • Nov 7 1:36 AM - Explanatory Material
    • Nov 7 8:39 PM - Presentation

Last edited:
My prediction: Nintendo will announce the device after Christmas but before February. Before the announcement, someone will leak a shell and/or prototype that 1/2 of the users will call fake.

The new device will be out in April to kick off Nintendos new FY. The switch OG and lite will be discontinued (to be announced soon) and the OLED model will have a drastic price drop before next holiday season.

What I don’t know (from lurking on this thread for ages) is where the next nVidia shield falls during the next year or so. Will nVidia utilize the new Switch chipset at some point or will they bail on the Shield altogether. Not sure if anything related to the shield was in the big nvidia leak.
January to April would only give Nintendo three months to market the system, which isn’t enough time. They’ll need at least five months going by the Switch 1 (October to March).

01.png

Current:

02.png

does this confirm backward compatibly for Switch sucessor or at least hint the console is gonna have this feature?

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom