• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

12 SM is way much more than what is inside Erista/Mariko. If you are Nvidia and want to keep the succ's soc yields as high as the one for the current Switch, you have to logically choose a smaller node. How low? I have no idea. But a very dumb and rough assumption would be that 12 SM = a die 12 times bigger. So the node should be sqrt(12) smaller.

That's 20nm/sqrt(12) which is 14 nm. Since that is the node for Mariko, then we can divide by sqrt(12) again. That gives us a node of 10 nm, So a hypothetical TSMC 10nm node would do the job according to my assy fraction. How does that compare to Samsung 8 nm? No idea.

I repeat myself but I wish we had more insights inside the economics of this.
I know this is an example, but the SM count of the switch are 2, and this thing has 12 SMs so it would, if we apply a dummy cross comparison, be 6 times bigger. But it’s on a denser node like 8 for example purposes (~45MTr (8nm) vs ~16MTr (20 or 16/14nm)), so it would be almost twice as big for the 8nm with that many cores. Granted, ampere has many more features like Ray Tracing cores and Tensor Cores going for it so it could be making the individual SM bigger as a result.

For reference, the Ampere GA106 GPU (the actual chip) has 30 SMS and it is 276mm^2 and has a density of 43MTr/mm, the Maxwell 2.0 GM200 GPU is 601mm^2 and has a density of 13.1MTr/mm but it has 24SMs

But the GM107 is 148mm^2 with a density of 12.9MTr/mm and only had 5SMs, GA106 is less than twice of that and contains 6 times the SM count. GM107 is on the 28nm process though but it’s close in density to the other one still.

So in the end, it should be about twice as big, or close to it, +/- here and there.

If on 8nm.

This was very rough math though I should note. So the actual process of this is much more and I’m grossly oversimplifying it here. I don’t think it would apply to any other scenario.

Edit: fixed typo

Last edited:
I knew that the assumptions were wrong but thank you for pointing out that I can't count. Meh. I edited my post to make it at least coherent.
Do you have a methodology? Just to satisfy my own curiosity.
Thraktor has done the math.

Following on from the A15, I thought it would be interesting to consider what kind of die size we might be looking at for Drake on the different manufacturing processes that are available. Irrespective of cost, power consumption, feasibility or whatever, just "how big would it be".

We obviously don't know how many transistors Drake is, but for the sake of a ballpark figure, I'm going to go with 10.5 billion, for no other reason than it's exactly half of Orin, and that just feels about right to me. The GPU is only 25% smaller, and the CPU perhaps 33% smaller, but we'd be completely eliminating stuff like the DLA and PVA accelerators, and there would be lower-level savings from the single GPC, reduced tensor core size, etc. It's a super-rough ballpark figure, but enough to give a very rough idea of what we could be looking at.

For the transistor densities I'm not going to use the advertised densities, or the densities achieved by mobile SoCs, as Nvidia typically aren't designing purely for maximum density, and you can see on Samsung 8nm and TSMC 7nm processes that they aren't hitting the same density as the mobile SoCs on the same nodes do. For the Samsung nodes, I'm taking the 8nm density as 45.6 MT/mm2 (same as Orin), and then using the density improvements from this Samsung slide. Foundry density claims aren't necessarily 100% reliable, but for this one at least it's a consistent real-world logic block they're comparing from 10nm to 4nm, so there isn't the issue of mixing and matching scaling factors which may be measured in very different ways. Samsung also don't specify the exact process here (eg 5LPE vs 5LPP), so I'll just refer to them as Samsung 5nm, etc.

For TSMC N7, I'm using 65.6 MT/mm2, as it's the density of Nvidia's A100. For N6 I didn't have a real-world comparison, so I used TSMC's claim of 18% density improvement over N7 (real world may be lower). For N5, I compared the relative density of Apple's A12 (N7) and A14 (N5), and then applied that scaling factor to Nvidia's A100 transistor density. Effectively, I assume that Nvidia won't hit the same density as Apple on N5, but they will achieve similar scaling from N7.

So, the very, very rough, please-don't-take-too-seriously die sizes would be as follows:

ProcessDensity (mT/mm2)Drake size (mm2)
Samsung 8nm45.6230.3
Samsung 7nm59.2177.3
Samsung 5nm83.4125.9
Samsung 4nm109.795.7
TSMC N765.6160.1
TSMC N677.4135.6
TSMC N5106.199.0

On Samsung 8nm it would be (unsurprisingly) a pretty big die. On Samsung 5nm or TSMC N6, though, it's not necessarily that far off of the original TX1 die size (121 mm2), and I wouldn't rule out either of those nodes at this stage.
I've been doing a bit of research into this, and I'm actually not sure that the bolded is correct. Samsung 8N is surely the cheapest plausible node per wafer, but once you take into account density and yields, it's entirely possible that a more advanced node like TSMC N5 is actually cheaper per chip. In fact, my back-of-a-paper-envelope maths suggests that a Samsung 8N Drake could cost 70% more than a TSMC N5 Drake.

I should emphasise that I have no expertise in this field, my analysis contains a lot of assumptions and estimations which may deviate significantly from reality, and you shouldn't take what I'm about to write any more seriously than any other random person on the internet. That said, I can run through the maths of it.

A few pages back, I posted an estimate of Drake's die size on various manufacturing processes. I've revised my estimates on these figures in two ways since then. The first is that I'm now estimating Drake's transistor count to be around 8 billion transistors. This is based on Nvidia's Orin die photo actually being for an older 17 billion transistor configuration of the chip, but also from the fact that Xbox Series S's "Lockhart" SoC reportedly comes in at 8 billion transistors itself. This is the same number of CPU cores (8) and GPU shader "cores" (1536) on the silicon as Drake, but we know that the Zen2 CPU is larger and uses more transistors than A78, and RDNA2 similarly is larger and uses more transistors per "core" than Ampere. There are some differences between Drake and base Ampere, though, the 4MB of L2 cache will add considerably to the total (based on the GA102 die, it looks like it could be around 1.3 billion transistors for that alone), and there might be some additional components on there care of Nvidia that Nintendo don't really need, but might be useful for Nvidia's other customers (eg an 8K codec block). I'm just going with 8 billion as a round figure, but again there's a large margin of error.

The second change is that I'm changing my estimate for TSMC N7->N6 density improvement from 18% (TSMC's claim) to 8.1% (actual measured improvement from Navi 23 to Navi 24). That being the case, my new estimates are as follows:

ProcessDensity (mT/mm2)Drake size (mm2)
Samsung 8nm45.6175.4
Samsung 7nm59.2135.1
Samsung 5nm83.495.9
Samsung 4nm109.772.9
TSMC N765.6122.0
TSMC N670.9112.8
TSMC N5106.175.4

In terms of cost per wafer, my starting point was the figures shown in Ian Cutress's video on wafer prices (which incidentally is very informative if you're curious about how this kind of stuff works). This contains wafer cost figures for many of TSMC's nodes. It's important to note here that these numbers are a few years old at this point, and that the exact prices per wafer have surely changed (in fact they've probably gone down and come back up again since then), however I'm not really that interested in the absolute numbers, but rather the relative costs across different processes. The cost Nintendo pay for a Drake chip has a lot of other factors involved (packaging, testing, and obviously Nvidia's margins), which are difficult to estimate, so it's simpler to think about costs in relative terms.

The costs per wafer (in USD) quoted in that video for more recent nodes are:

28nm20nm16nm10nm7nm

These are just TSMC nodes, and this predated their 5nm processes. To estimate the 5nm wafer costs, I'm relying on this chart which TSMC released in mid-2021, showing the relative wafer manufacturing capacity of 16nm, 7nm and 5nm process families. This shows that the capacity of 7nm relative to 5nm in 2020 was 3.87:1, and the estimated capacity ratio in 2021 is shown as 1.76:1. We also know from TSMC's 2021 Q4 financials that 5nm accounted for 19% of revenue in 2021, compared to 31% for 7nm. The capacity figure from the chart doesn't reflect actual output, and it seems to reflect installed capacity at year-end, which obviously wouldn't be in operation over the entire year they're reporting revenue for. Therefore, if we assume that capacity was added uniformly over the year, the actual ratio of 7nm to 5nm wafers produced should be half way between the 2020 and 2021 year-end capacity numbers. That is, we would expect that over the course of 2021, TSMC produced about 2.4x as many 7nm wafers as 5nm wafers. With a 1.63x ratio of revenue between the two nodes, we can estimate that the revenue per wafer was approximately 47% higher for 5nm than 7nm. This would put a 5nm wafer at $8,622.76. Again, this may not be the correct absolute figure, but I'm mostly interested in whether the relative prices are accurate.

So, onto the cost per die. To do this we have to estimate the number of dies per wafer, for which I use this yield calculator. I take the die sizes above and assume all dies are square. For the defect density, I'm using a figure of 0.1 defect/cm2, which is based on this Anandtech article. It's likely yields are actually a bit better than this by now, but it won't make a huge difference to the analysis.

Die areaDies per waferCost per wafer ($)Cost per die ($)Cost per die ratio
TSMC N7122.04275,859.2813.721.15
TSMC N6112.84625,859.2812.681.06
TSMC N575.47238,622.7611.931.00

For N6 TSMC are probably charging a bit more per wafer than N7, but as I have no way of estimating this, I'm just leaving the price per wafer the same. The actual cost per die here won't be even close to what Nintendo will have to pay, both with the old numbers being used for wafer prices, and with packaging, testing and Nvidia's margins being added on top. However, the cost per die ratio in the last column is independent of those things. I've chosen TSMC N5 here as the baseline, and you can see that N7 and N6 are actually calculated as being more expensive per die than N5. The dies per wafer gives you a clue as to why, with the substantial increase in density of N5 (plus the smaller die resulting in a better yield ratio) meaning that even a significantly more expensive wafer cost doesn't necessarily mean more expensive chips themselves.

For the Samsung manufacturing processes, I haven't been able to find any information (even rough estimates) on wafer costs, or wafer output and revenue splits that might be used to estimate revenue per wafer. However, we can look at the cost per wafer required to hit a cost per die ratio of 1.0 (ie the same cost per die as TSMC N5) and evaluate whether that's feasible. For defect density on 5nm I'm going to use 0.5, as it was rumoured to be resulting in 50% yields for mobile SoCs that should be roughly 100mm2 in size. For 8nm defect density it's a bit trickier, but I'm estimating 0.3 defects per square cm, based on product distribution of Nvidia's desktop GPUs (if it were lower, then they wouldn't have to bin quite so heavily, if higher they wouldn't be able to sell full-die chips like the 3090Ti at all). These are only very rough estimates, so I'll also look at a range of estimates for both of these.

ProcessDefect density (per cm2)Dies per waferCost per wafer ($) - 1.00 ratio
Samsung 5nm0.53834,569.19
Samsung 5nm0.34595,475.87
Samsung 8nm0.51481,765.64
Samsung 8nm0.32012,397.93
Samsung 8nm0.12803,340.40

Samsung's 5nm processes are a bit more realistically priced here. They're most comparable to TSMC's 7nm family in terms of performance and efficiency, and if they've got the defect density down to 0.3 then they could charge a similar amount per wafer to TSMC N7 and be competitive on a per-chip cost. If the defect density is actually 0.5, then they'd have to be much more aggressive on price per wafer, coming in below TSMC 10nm, and not that far off TSMC's 16nm family. Note that the manufacturing costs on Samsung's side are likely quite a bit higher for their 5nm processes than even TSMC's N7, as Samsung are using EUV extensively in their 5nm process, so there's only a limited extent to which they can be aggressive on price.

On the 8nm side, wafer costs get a lot more unrealistic if we're trying to assume that they can be competitive on a cost per die basis with N5. If we use the 0.3 defect density estimate, then they'd have to charge about $2,400 per wafer for N8, which is basically the same as TSMC's 28nm process. Keep in mind that Samsung have their own 28nm and 14nm processes that are pretty competitive with TSMC's 28nm and 16nm families, which means Samsung would either have to be charging a similar amount for an 8nm wafer as they charge for a 28nm wafer, or they are massively undercharging for their 28nm and 14nm processes if they're proportionally cheaper than 8nm. Both of these seem very unlikely. Even with only a 0.1 defect density (similar to TSMC's processes), they would have to charge $3,340 per wafer, which is quite a bit less than TSMC 16nm.

If we assume the cheapest Samsung could charge for an 8nm wafer is the same as a TSMC 16nm wafer (which would make it very aggressively priced), and the defect density is 0.3, the cost per die would be $20.30, which gives a cost per die ratio of 1.70, or 70% more expensive than the same die on TSMC N5. This is even ignoring the significant performance and efficiency benefits of going with TSMC's N5 process over Samsung's 8nm process.

We can also plug Mariko into these to figure out a relative cost. For the Mariko die size, I measured some photos I found online in comparison to the original TX1, and it looks to be approximately 10.1mm by 10.2mm. With an assumed 0.1 defect ratio on 16nm, this would put it at 507 dies per wafer, and therefore $8.05 per die. Again this doesn't represent the actual price Nintendo pay, but this means a TSMC N5 Drake (with about 4x the transistor count) would cost about 50% more than Mariko does.

This might explain why Nvidia is moving so aggressively onto TSMC's 5nm process. I had assumed that they would keep lower-end Ada chips on Samsung 8nm, or maybe Samsung 5nm, but this would suggest that it's actually cheaper per chip to use TSMC 5nm, even before the clock speed/efficiency benefits of the better node. It also, from my perspective, makes Drake's 12 SM GPU a lot more reasonable. For an 8nm chip in a Switch form-factor, 12 SMs is much more than any of us expected, but if you were to design a TSMC N5 chip for a Switch like device, 12 SMs is actually not excessive at all. It's a small ~75mm2 die, and there shouldn't be any issue running all 12 SMs at reasonable clocks in both handheld and docked modes. Yields would be extremely high, and as TSMC N5 will be a very long-lived node, there would be no pressure to do a node shrink any time soon.

Now, to caveat all of this again, I'm just a random person on the internet with no relevant expertise or insight, so it's entirely possible (probable?) that there are inaccurate assumptions and estimates above, or just straightforward misunderstanding of how these things work. So take it all with a huge grain of salt. Personally I still think 8nm is very likely, possibly even moreso than TSMC N5, but I think it's nonetheless interesting to run through the numbers to try to actually verify my assumptions.

Here on the job listing info:

As for the other one, I assume is the recent deal Nvidia made with TSMC, which I don't have an immediate source on. It may or may not be Nintendo related though. Either way, still worth mentioning.
Thanks!

I know this is an example, but the SM count of the switch are 2, and this thing has 12 SMs so it would, if we apply a dummy cross comparison, be 6 times bigger. But it’s on a denser node like 8 for example purposes (~45MTr (8nm) vs ~16MTr (20 or 16/14nm)), so it would be almost twice as big for the 8nm with that many cores. Granted, ampere has many more features like Ray Tracing cores and Tensor Cores going for it so it could be making the individual SM bigger as a result.

For reference, the Ampere GA106 GPU (the actual chip) has 30 SMS and it is 276mm^2 and has a density of 43MTr/mm, the Maxwell 2.0 GM200 GPU is 601mm^2 and has a density of 13.1MTr/mm but it has 30SMs

But the GM107 is 148mm^2 with a density of 12.9MTr/mm and only had 5SMs, GA106 is less than twice of that and contains 6 times the SM count. GM107 is on the 28nm process though but it’s close in density to the other one still.

So in the end, it should be about twice as big, or close to it, +/- here and there.

If on 8nm.

This was very rough math though I should note. So the actual process of this is much more and I’m grossly oversimplifying it here. I don’t think it would apply to any other scenario.
Yep, this is fair napking math for the info we can reasonably glean I think. Anther things
that could impact it is the amount of unused space on the Tegra X1 die for the Switch (and how much would be on the Drake).

I'd also note that the next step nodes (TSMC 7nm and Samsung 5nm) hit close to 2x the transistor density, so those chips can do the chip with roughly the same die size (after applying the same caveats of course).

Did you have sources for the point 2 and 5?
Sure thing. Someone provided the job listing already but here's the link to Nvidia securing TSMC 5 for products launching this year.

It states RTX 40 series specifically but its not like they are going to state its for a yet to be revealed Nintendo console as well.

We also know they are manufacturing hopper on tsmc 4nm.

Hopper is targeting H1 2023.

For reference, the Ampere GA106 GPU (the actual chip) has 30 SMS and it is 276mm^2 and has a density of 43MTr/mm, the Maxwell 2.0 GM200 GPU is 601mm^2 and has a density of 13.1MTr/mm but it has 30SMs

If on 8nm.

Thanks, I pulled off this post because I wanted to make a point but failed at using elementary school math. The method consisting in comparing transistor densities gives us way more accurate comparison points. Thank you.

Edit: Thanks @Hermii. Of course, Thraktor was already there and done that. Given the current conversation, I think it is a good moment to pull these posts out.

Appearantly Nate said in the latest podcast, he thought this was a revision and expected a next gen system sometime after 2024. Doesnt make sense at all to me, but lets not get that ball rolling again.

Is this your speculation based on BOTW 2 delay, or new info?
Speculation….

A revision for 2024 makes sense to me, the Switch is going strong and even if a part of the most dedicated players are disappointed on how new games look and run, the sales numbers are still great so Nintendo is not in a hurry by any metrics.

MK 8 having DLC until end of 2023 is IMO also another indicator of the system's expected life, Nintendo can safely release BotW 2 on the current Switch and launch Switch 2 with a new MK 9 and a strong first-year lineup plus some patches for some Switch classics.

Also, considering how stacked 2022 is, including some big releases like XC3, it seems to me that the current Switch will be with us at least a couple of years more, if Switch 2 was planned for mid-late 2023 I imagine they would prefer to launch XC3 with the new system like what they did with 2, and would launch some Zelda HD ports or other smaller games now to fill the gaps.

Where is all of this 2024/2025 talk coming from all of a sudden?

People keep thinking Nintendo will delay it because of chip shortages and that it coming out so quickly to the OLED would be a problem, along with one person thinking it's too early for a powerful machine and there'll be one more ready by the end of 2024 , which is absolutely not how hardware development works at all. This is despite how many times it's been explained why these scenarios aren't likely and given explanations why.

Really just a tired discussion that keeps going in circles. Definitely not meant to be an attack on anyone in this thread, but it is getting tiring.

A revision for 2024 makes sense to me, the Switch is going strong and even if a part of the most dedicated players are disappointed on how new games look and run, the sales numbers are still great so Nintendo is not in a hurry by any metrics.

MK 8 having DLC until end of 2023 is IMO also another indicator of the system's expected life, Nintendo can safely release BotW 2 on the current Switch and launch Switch 2 with a new MK 9 and a strong first-year lineup plus some patches for some Switch classics.

Also, considering how stacked 2022 is, including some big releases like XC3, it seems to me that the current Switch will be with us at least a couple of years more, if Switch 2 was planned for mid-late 2023 I imagine they would prefer to launch XC3 with the new system like what they did with 2, and would launch some Zelda HD ports or other smaller games now to fill the gaps.
This post missing the whole point of the potential revision: Keeping third parties happy. Sales number might be great but third party is slowly leaving Switch and 2023 could be tough year for Nintendo as they once again have to carry the system by themselves. Buffed up revision would refresh the third party interest for Switch by bringing games that cannot be on Switch.

Not just 2023, the latter half of this year is a big drought for third party releases as of now, the platform is seriously showing its age. If Nate and Mochi are right, Switch Pro might have some huge lineup of exclusives out of the gate.

A new device releasing and the original switch being around for an extra year or two are not mutually exclusive.

The stacked 2022/2023 lineup is all the more reason to release another device and sell software to both existing switch owners and those buying the new device.

MK8 DLC is more likely to be tied purely to the planned release date of mk9 rather than new hardware. Mario Kart historically has released at various points in new console life cycles, whereas Zelda is typically tied to new hardware and we are getting a new Zelda in 2023.....

Aside from MK9 what else is coming 2024? Certainly won't be a big zelda release and rumour points to an odyssey sequel in 2022/2023.

Considering all the rumors so far, the 2022 and 2023 lineups seem very strong.
I wouldn't be surprised if the 2024 lineup is as meager as 2020.
Even ignoring the rumors about Dane/Drake, it seems to make more sense to release new hardware in 2022 or 2023 than in 2024.

Nate also said that this will be New 3DS even Xbox One S type of revision, so thing is not that those revisions are much weaker in comparison of Drake Switch compared to regular Switch, but those revisions were practically replacements for OG 3DS and base Xbox One consoles.

To be fair he also mentioned PS4 Pro also in comparison,
but he didn't sound at all like we talking about huge hardware upgrade in any case, I think that in comparison be used even same tech (and if it really has DLSS I dont see how can be same tech, if talk about Drake chip that its basically full next gen hardware).

Its sounded like revision he talk about is not leaked Drake hardware, and thats whats strange.

Last edited:
Nate also said that this will be New 3DS even Xbox One S type of revision, so thing is not that those revisions are much weaker in comparison of Drake Switch compared to regular Switch, but those revisions were practically replacements for OG 3DS and base Xbox One consoles.

but he didn't sound at all like we talking about huge hardware upgrade in any case, I think that in comparison be used even same tech (and if it really has DLSS I dont see how can be same tech, if talk about Drake chip that its basically full next gen hardware).

Its sounded like revision he talk about is not leaked Drake hardware, and thats whats strange.

If this new machine is indeed a moderate revision, I can totally see it releasing sometimes in 2023; possibly at the end of the year, as Nintendo seems to release a new Switch every 2 years; but I'd be surprised still as I believe that 2021 was the sweet spot to release such machine. Then, why not another significantly more powerful machine, Series S level, 2 years later (2025).
I guess that knowing the nature of what nintendo is working on is more or less feasible in general. Knowing their agenda and the release schedule is however closer to numerology.

I dont know how you can dispute the Nvidia leak.

I don't get it. If they wanted to go with meager improvement, they could have overclocked and added a little extra RAM to the OLED model. Releasing the next-gen Switch doesn't mean the end of life of the current one, they can co-exist as Switch and 3DS did. If the successor is to release in 2024, what games would it launch with? New Zelda takes half a decade to develop and is tied to successful hardware launches.

in 2024, what games would it launch with? New Zelda takes half a decade to develop and is tied to successful hardware launches.

Mario Kart 10, new 3D Mario, new 2D mario, new Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime 4 (cross generation obviously)... Tons of stuff which do not have a release date yet are bound to exist. As for a new Zelda, they could very well release a "complete edition" including all the DLCs along with improved visuals and performances. I for one would re-buy both BOTW for the promise to play them at 4K/60fps.
Edit: and if the console is for 2025, you can even add a new Animal Crossing or a new Smash Bros.

Hopper is targeting H1 2023.
Actually, Nvidia mentioned targeting Q3 2022 for H100 availability.

Would a non-Drake revision not have leaked also? In any case I do not believe there is any other hardware. It's Drake or nothing.
There's no reason to think the leak was in any way exhaustive, so there's definitely plenty of other things that may not have leaked.

I'd like defenders of this being a pro version to explain to me the biggest single flaw in the argument.
Game file sizes. True, you could probably find some way to run Drake games on the switch by heavily cutting down performance, removing raytracing, etc, but the biggest single flaw in this idea is the size of game files. The switch only has 32gb of internal storage. In order to take any advantage of this new hardware, file sizes are going to need to increase a lot. The average file size of a switch game is probably somewhere around 6gb (some being substantially less, some being substantially more), whereas the next console is probably going to be closer to 64gb, with some games going for 128gb or even higher. So are you just gonna stop selling new switch games digitally to make them compatible?
There are already a handful of games that are too big to be downloaded to base Switch without an SD card. If more newer games require SD cards for at least pre-OLED models... oh well. And games like Witcher 3 for instance could still take good advantage of most of the new hardware even if still not going beyond the 32 GB size it uses to start.
So the game boy color, dsi, and n3DS were all new consoles and the wii is not a new console
Wii is not a new console primarily because they flicked the "go faster" Switch on the GPU and CPU. It's a new console because of things like radically changed controller, internal storage, and WiFi allowing completely new ways to get and play games. If Game Boy Color had been built around motion controls and online play, it would've been something very very different.

I told you it would be 2024 at the earliest if the rumored, very powerful, system indeed materializes. Anything within the next 12 months ought to be a more limited upgrade, and I for one believe that the ship has sailed for such upgrade so I don't even expect it. But in fairness, I also believed that the ship had sailed for a Mario Kart DLC.
End of 2024 for that almost Series S level console is my current bet.
Is that based on the sequel to Breath of the Wild being delayed to spring 2023?

Is that based on the sequel to Breath of the Wild being delayed to spring 2023?

No. I made the 2024 bet before the Zelda delay.
It is based, among other minor things, on the fact that Nintendo can probably coast through 2022/2023 with the current Switch and its excellent lineup. Sales won't crash like the Wii did.

This post missing the whole point of the potential revision: Keeping third parties happy. Sales number might be great but third party is slowly leaving Switch and 2023 could be tough year for Nintendo as they once again have to carry the system by themselves. Buffed up revision would refresh the third party interest for Switch by bringing games that cannot be on Switch.
This is a good point, we know that Nintendo is now more engaged than ever with 3rd parties, but even so I find hard to imagine them releasing big games 6 months or so from a new system. And Nintendo traditionally transitions fully to their new hardware, the 3DS mostly received some ports and remakes after the Switch was released.
A new device releasing and the original switch being around for an extra year or two are not mutually exclusive.
Of course, and the new system will be fully retro-compatible, but I find hard to believe that Nintendo is going to release Splatoon 3 in a few months if they plan to release the new system soon, Splatoon 3 being Switch-successor exclusive would fit the Nintendo model of releasing a single entry of most their multiplayer series on each console generation and IMO is not a series that needs a new entry ASAP. Also consider that the game will have a year or 18 months of support (maps, modes...) if they follow the same model, this can happen with or without a new system but it would make more sense as a Switch 2 exclusive if it's going to be released soon (2023 I mean).

The way I see it, 2022 will be a big year for the Switch, on 2023 Nintendo will release BotW 2 and then slow down the first party releases a lot, and on 2024 we will see the new system that will have some improvement patches for Switch popular games.

Wii is not a new console primarily because they flicked the "go faster" Switch on the GPU and CPU. It's a new console because of things like radically changed controller, internal storage, and WiFi allowing completely new ways to get and play games. If Game Boy Color had been built around motion controls and online play, it would've been something very very different.
my point was that very few nintendo systems even met his definition. "significant" isn't defined, the GBC is a "revision" to nintendo and is lumped in with the gameboy, the wii is barely any different than the GCN, hardware-wise.

the whole argument about successors and revisions have lost all meaning now.

For the sake of my sanity I'm checking out of all hardware rumours. There's plenty of games to keep me occupied in any case.
I don't blame you. there's literally nothing to discuss so this thread just keeps going in circles, back to "what if 2024?" "what if revision and not successor"

There's no reason to think the leak was in any way exhaustive, so there's definitely plenty of other things that may not have leaked.
Yea, the leak was about the chip and the API.

I think its outside the realm of possibility that Nintendo will release another non Drake revision (Unless its Calcio).

With the Oled, we literally had Aula outlined more than a year in advance in the firmware.

I dont think Nate was hinting about a non Drake revision, or anything about the Nvidia leak being wrong. I just dont think he is as much of a tech enthusiast as many of us are. Terms like SM count, may not mean anything to Nate.

No matter how this will be positioned externally (at least initially), there is little doubt that Nintendo and Nvidia are developing the next gen Switch internally (just the name NVN2 should tell us as much). And Switch 1 development will be left behind for Drake, sooner or later (probably later).

Yea, the leak was about the chip and the API.

I think its outside the realm of possibility that Nintendo will release another non Drake revision (Unless its Calcio).

With the Oled, we literally had Aula outlined more than a year in advance in the firmware.

I dont think Nate was hinting about a non Drake revision, or anything about the Nvidia leak being wrong. I just dont think he is as much of a tech enthusiast as many of us are. Terms like SM count, may not mean anything to Nate.

No matter how this will be positioned externally (at least initially), there is little doubt that Nintendo and Nvidia are developing the next gen Switch internally (just the name NVN2 should tell us as much). And Switch 1 development will be left behind for Drake, sooner or later (probably later).
Part of me thinks Nate's contacts aren't aware of any extreme jump in power like we'd expect from Drake so he's being a bit cautious with his reporting. He has posted here indicating he's well aware of the fact that it listed 12SMs and he knows what that means.

So from what I can gather that leaves us with a few possible explanations:

• Nate is playing dumb due to the dubious legality behind that leak
  • Developers haven't been told what to expect the final hardware configuration to be, or those that have aren't talking even to their teams
  • Developers are aware of the target final hardware and the Drake specs do not reflect this info, thus suggesting there is another piece of hardware coming

the whole argument about successors and revisions have lost all meaning now.

The only objective way to classify them is by whatever they're being marketed as. If a company calls its product a revision, that's what it is. If a company calls its product a successor, that's what it is. Regardless of the specs, the hardware will generally be classified by how it's marketed.

@Alovon11

As I was working on my project last night, I realized that I already had the NIS plugin, as it's included with the DLSS plugin for UE5, so it'll be easy enough to implement. Don't know how I missed that, lol

EDIT:

It also includes, DLAA, btw

The only objective way to classify them is by whatever they're being marketed as. If a company calls its product a revision, that's what it is. If a company calls its product a successor, that's what it is. Regardless of the specs, the hardware will generally be classified by how it's marketed.

@Alovon11

As I was working on my project last night, I realized that I already had the NIS plugin, as it's included with the DLSS plugin for UE5, so it'll be easy enough to implement. Don't know how I missed that, lol

EDIT:

It also includes, DLAA, btw
Just curious, is there any significant difference to having fsr/ nis?

Does any of them have any advantages/ drawbacks over the other, or does fsr perform just as well on Nvidia hardware as AMD hardware (or vise versa).

Thanks for the correction Dakhil, the source I found for the date must have been wrong.

I dont think TSMC 4nm is very likely anyway for Drake. For me, since the Nvidia leak I believe Drake will be manufactured using either the secured TSMC 5nm capacity alongside the RTX 40 series or Samsung 5nm if the previous rumour of them holding some capacity there is true.

I did see earlier some comments around switch 2 games being 64-128gb in size. I don't think this is likely for a few reasons.

Firstly, some games are bloated in size to mitigate loading times due to traditional hard drive seek times, something that isn't a problem with solid state hardware.

Secondly, the reason games are that large is due to uncompressed audio on traditional consoles, Nintendo isn't afraid of using compressed audio and neither are third parties on switch.

Lastly, this increase in file size is presumably because of the expectation of 4k assets but I don't think we can expect 4k textures in most games. I think the 4k via DLSS will be used mostly to give a cleaner presentation and better performance, things like texture quality and model quality will still take a hit on a portable system due to memory bandwidth.

No. I made the 2024 bet before the Zelda delay.
It is based, among other minor things, on the fact that Nintendo can probably coast through 2022/2023 with the current Switch and its excellent lineup. Sales won't crash like the Wii did.
So the implication is that Nintendo will hold back their completed hardware and annoy the hell out of 3rd parties who have spent years developing software for it because they think they can squeeze more blood from the stone, despite the fact that the new console will likely play and enhance every title they and every other developer are releasing for the original Switch?

People keep thinking Nintendo will delay it because of chip shortages and that it coming out so quickly to the OLED would be a problem, along with one person thinking it's too early for a powerful machine and there'll be one more ready by the end of 2024 , which is absolutely not how hardware development works at all. This is despite how many times it's been explained why these scenarios aren't likely and given explanations why.

Really just a tired discussion that keeps going in circles. Definitely not meant to be an attack on anyone in this thread, but it is getting tiring.
To be fair, even Nate said he wouldn't take a guess at Drake being released before April 2023 due to the chip shortage / production issues on the latest Spawncast. I'm sure he's covering his bases to some degree and I don't think it'll be delayed to 2024+, but there's probably little more wiggle room than some are convinced of.

Just curious, is there any significant difference to having fsr/ nis?

Does any of them have any advantages/ drawbacks over the other, or does fsr perform just as well on Nvidia hardware as AMD hardware (or vise versa).

NIS and FSR are comparable spatial upscaling algorithms (as long as you're comparing the SDK versions for both). The performance is also similar at the same respective resolutions. Both solutions are now GPU-agnostic. That being said, DLSS is in a league of its own and I never understood why people kept comparing FSR to it.

Some suggest using NIS to clean up the input a bit before feeding it to DLSS, but I'm not a fan. In my experience, raw inputs work best for ML-based upsampling.

NIS and FSR are comparable spatial upscaling algorithms (as long as you're comparing the SDK versions for both). The performance is also similar at the same respective resolutions. Both solutions are now GPU-agnostic. That being said, DLSS is in a league of its own and I never understood why people kept comparing FSR to it.

Some suggest using NIS to clean up the input a bit before feeding it to DLSS, but I'm not a fan. In my experience, raw inputs work best for ML-based upsampling.
Yeah, my thing with FSR/NIS before Temporal has moreso shifted to TAA rather than TSR/ML-U

FSR/NIS an image then apply TAA to that image which would smooth out the jaggies and also would likely be better than FSR/NIS After TAA because it wouldn't "Bloat" out TAA artifacts.

That way you sort of get a half-step between FSR1 and FSR2 for example.

But for application with DLSS/FSR2/UE-TSR, NIS/FSR would go after that in the pipeline, and likely should best be used for 1440p+ upscaling to 4K (Or making the screen pixel-match to your output better, IE: FSR/NISing to 1080p to scale to 4K, FSR/NISing to 720p to scale to 1440p, FSR/NISing to 1440p to scale to 2880p.etc)

And by scale there I mean per-pixel scaling that fits evenly into the pixel count of the screen. (1080p is an even 4 4K pixels per 1080p Pixel.etc)

Spring 2023 makes too much sense that I don't think it'll happen. BOTW2 to usher in the cross-gen period, while the Switch turns 6 years old(most nintendo consoles get their successor at year 6 or earlier).

Anyways, about hardware, if this really has DLSS, it would be somewhat future proof...right?

Would a non-Drake revision not have leaked also? In any case I do not believe there is any other hardware. It's Drake or nothing.
The Nvidia hack data was definitely not exhaustive, but it would be kind of strange if there's something before Drake that we don't have any evidence of yet.

Thanks for the correction Dakhil, the source I found for the date must have been wrong.

I dont think TSMC 4nm is very likely anyway for Drake. For me, since the Nvidia leak I believe Drake will be manufactured using either the secured TSMC 5nm capacity alongside the RTX 40 series or Samsung 5nm if the previous rumour of them holding some capacity there is true.
TSMC's 5nm and 4nm aren't really different processes. They're part of the same family, and I believe would use the same manufacturing lines. The standard TSMC processes in the family are N5, N5P and N4, with the latter two effectively slightly improved versions of N5. Nvidia, however, is claiming that Hopper is manufactured with a custom TSMC "4N" process, which we can safely assume is part of the TSMC 5nm family, but doesn't necessarily align directly to N4. There was a claim on Twitter than it's basically just a rebranded N5P, although I don't know if there's any truth to that. Which one it most closely aligns to doesn't really matter that much, as N5P and N4 are pretty minor improvements over N5 anyway, so the general performance, efficiency and density of a chip will be in the same ballpark regardless of which member of TSMC's 5nm family it uses.

In any case, I'd expect that Nvidia will use their "custom" 4N process for all forthcoming parts in the TSMC 5nm family, including Ada, Grace, and, if it's on any process in the TSMC 5nm family, Drake. Their prepayments to TSMC will have been for this 4N process, and the processes all use the same design rules, so there wouldn't be much sense in relegating future chips to older versions of the process family.

We do actually know the density of Hopper on 4N, at least. It's confirmed to be 814mm2, and with 80 billion transistors, that would put it at 98.3 MT/mm2. Slightly lower than my estimate, but not far off. Their other 4N chips should have similar density. Not necessarily exactly the same, as it will vary from one chip to the next, but within the ballpark.

Last edited:
I told you it would be 2024 at the earliest if the rumored, very powerful, system indeed materializes. Anything within the next 12 months ought to be a more limited upgrade, and I for one believe that the ship has sailed for such upgrade so I don't even expect it. But in fairness, I also believed that the ship had sailed for a Mario Kart DLC.
End of 2024 for that almost Series S level console is my current bet.
Only thing we have to go by is Nate’s info that developers were told to have software ready by end of 2022 / beginning of 2023 there’s no reason to think other wise beyond that until told other wise

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom