• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

What are the odds they're preparing the firmware that'll be shipped with NG Switch's? I said this in the general Switch 2 Speculation Thread, but they did a very similar thing with the OLED Model.

Copying basically what I said here:
  • April 2021 for 12.0.0., which added mentions of Blue Tooth and a new dock. This was probably them preparing things for the firmware that would ship with the OLED model.
  • May 2021 was 12.0.1, which stabilized things like the Blue Tooth support.
  • July 5th, 2021, was 12.1.0, which updated every single part of the OS, and was a more stable version of the firmware that was shipped with the OLED Model. It was released the same day it was revealed.
  • September 2021 was 13.0.0. which actually added Blue Tooth
  • October 2021 was the OLED's release.

Could we see something similar with this? Is this even how it works?
From the recent speculation about May, this would add up to that month as a similar timeline. October to May is 7 months. Feels like a stretch but hey sometimes there are patterns.

One wrinkle to this which someone clued me in on is that it's in the hid user service, not the hid:sys system service. Most of the hid service stuff is accessible to games and other user application so it tends to be non-system-y (but not all of it, I don't think, at least not in the normally available SDK). So I'm not sure if this would actually be the place for such an API.
I could imagine a scenario where Nintendo may want to expose this in the SDK. I don't have experience programming for touch screens, but it seems plausible to me that a developer of a cross gen game may opt to keep the Switch 1 may want to keep the behavior consistent to make less work for themselves. EDIT: Or possibly the other direction, enabling the full screen resolution when the game is BC but knows it's running on the new hardware.

Also a decent chunk of the BC code may be similarly permissioned to a game for security reasons.

What are the odds they're preparing the firmware that'll be shipped with NG Switch's? I said this in the general Switch 2 Speculation Thread, but they did a very similar thing with the OLED Model.

Copying basically what I said here:
  • April 2021 for 12.0.0., which added mentions of Blue Tooth and a new dock. This was probably them preparing things for the firmware that would ship with the OLED model.
  • May 2021 was 12.0.1, which stabilized things like the Blue Tooth support.
  • July 5th, 2021, was 12.1.0, which updated every single part of the OS, and was a more stable version of the firmware that was shipped with the OLED Model. It was released the same day it was revealed.
  • September 2021 was 13.0.0. which actually added Blue Tooth
  • October 2021 was the OLED's release.

Could we see something similar with this? Is this even how it works?
I wouldn't read too much into the exact dates (the firmware updates follow a loose schedule that's semi independent from hardware), but yes, it does seem plausible Nintendo is at least nearing the point where they have a firmware image ready to be flashed to systems in the factory. When shipping a system based on firmware that's already out in the wild, the major version preceding the launch tends to be where they reach enough support to ship the system with, while a major version at or near launch will be the "day one update".

Last edited:
I could imagine a scenario where Nintendo may want to expose this in the SDK. I don't have experience programming for touch screens, but it seems plausible to me that a developer of a cross gen game may opt to keep the Switch 1 may want to keep the behavior consistent to make less work for themselves.

Also a decent chunk of the BC code may be similarly permissioned to a game for security reasons.

I wouldn't read too much into the exact dates (the firmware updates follow a loose schedule that's semi independent from hardware), but yes, it does seem plausible Nintendo is at least nearing the point where they have a firmware image ready to be flashed to systems in the factory. When shipping a system based on firmware that's already out in the wild, the major version preceding the launch tends to be where they reach enough support to ship the system with, while a major version at or near launch will be the "day one update".
Wouldn’t that next major update be around Q4 next year? :p

Of course, I don’t think this will follow the same timeline, though this is a really good sign that production could very well be starting very soon, which means an announcement is probably close.
It was screenshots of your posts here so pretty much I guess :) (the ones where you answered p4blo's questions about 17.0.0, two screenshots of yours. Maybe 3, don't recall exactly).
I’m not sure why there are channels like NintendoPrime that decide to make like 10+ minute videos each day that don’t really get a lot of views for it to make them a substantial amount of money for it to be worth the amount of time it takes to record and edit those videos, only to use other peoples work as scripts, and not even add anything new to the conversation. If these people actively participated in the community I’d be more understanding, and would encourage the spread of speculation, though that’s obviously not why they’re doing what they’re doing.

Every time there’s a clickbait article or title I always get confused, because those sorts of things are very unappealing at first glance. I’d happily read an article that promotes somebody speculation rather then an article that tries to oversell me on reading it. Same exact thing with a YouTube video.

Of course, I don’t think this will follow the same timeline, though this is a really good sign that production could very well be starting very soon, which means an announcement is probably close.
To be absolutely clear, I'm not saying this definitely is The One, just that it seems like it could be. The information we have access to likely isn't sufficient to confidently make that call on any given update.

Forbidden West, to be exact. Can't wait for EPD to beat that when it's due.
In terms of the World and it’s density possibly yes. In terms of production value? Not a chance. Forbidden West cost north of $200 million and has some of the best facial animation and voice acting in the industry. I can’t see Nintendo spending that kind of cash on a single game.

BotW is my favourite game of all time and I thought both Horizon games were average to good before I get any hate. I’m talking purely in terms of visual fidelity and production values not physics or gameplay.

Did anyone read the Japanese version of the same report? It contains the following sentences not in the English version:
来年の後半に次世代ゲーム機の投入もうわさされる任天堂。会社の慎重な予想もあり、今期は小休止の期という見方もあった。
“Nintendo is rumored to release a next-generation game console in the second half of next year. Some consider this fiscal year to be a period of respite, partly due to the company’s cautious forecast.”

It is unclear if Mochizuki sourced this “rumor” independently, or he just read the Eurogamer/VGC reports.

Note: I’m not sure whether this post belongs here or in the “Switch 2” thread? If the latter, anyone is welcome to copy-paste it over.

I dunno stuff that hasn't already been said lol.

• There's likely a digital-only SKU of Switch 2
  • The current dev kit has a slot that can handle Switch and Switch 2 carts (likely the way 3DS did it with DS)
  • The DLSS version that was running during that matrix demo from Gamecom or whatever was 3.5
  • EPD Tokyo is working on a Donkey Kong game ("not a Country title") and not the Mario vs DK game we just saw as well as a Mario game (duh).
  • RT performance will be better than XSX/PS5 because of Nvidia magic and DLSS (I dunno I'm not a techie)
  • Sounds like they're aiming for a weird launch of May 2024?

More smoke on the May 2024 launch. I mentioned a few days ago talking to a very weighted investor (IE: Owns a LOT of shares) that mentioned May 2024 as a launch month and some other dudes in that circle are preparing as such. The guy won't get back to me. I want to know if I stumbled on inside information or just getting trolled lol. The fact that the trend of launch months go against us here and other proven leakers have not mentioned May 2024 still gives me doubt.

In terms of the World and it’s density possibly yes. In terms of production value? Not a chance. Forbidden West cost north of $200 million and has some of the best facial animation and voice acting in the industry. I can’t see Nintendo spending that kind of cash on a single game.

BotW is my favourite game of all time and I thought both Horizon games were average to good before I get any hate. I’m talking purely in terms of visual fidelity and production values not physics or gameplay.
Well, I'm mostly interested on them surpassing it in the graphical department, it's a PS4 game after all. A decent chunk of those $200 million were the high-class actors that were hired to make it, I'm sure Nintendo will cut corners in there and bring it down as a result. Admittedly, I'd be somehow disappointed if they turned out unable to produce something that awesome looking even with the amount of power T239 has. Just saying, but Furukawa himself acknowledged production costs in the last FY report and are massively hiring as a result, not to mention their new building already being filled as we speak, there must be reasons to both of those things.

Did anyone read the Japanese version of the same report? It contains the following sentences not in the English version:

“Nintendo is rumored to release a next-generation game console in the second half of next year. Some consider this fiscal year to be a period of respite, partly due to the company’s cautious forecast.”

It is unclear if Mochizuki sourced this “rumor” independently, or he just read the Eurogamer/VGC reports.

Note: I’m not sure whether this post belongs here or in the “Switch 2” thread? If the latter, anyone is welcome to copy-paste it over.
Mochi hasn't had a good scoop in a bit, so I think he's just retreading worn ground

The use of the word rumored and lack of any justification or sourcing makes it look like a reiteration of the reporting by Eurogamer and VGC.

And I think it would be silly if posts discussing leaks and rumors about the release timing weren't allowed here. That's not a "non-technical aspect," it's bigger than that; it's "the whole thing."

Really feeling like 1nm is gonna be the big kahuna until we start getting into completely new technology/materials being used to build this stuff
graphene?
Graphen.jpg

I’m not sure why there are channels like NintendoPrime
It's prime, you know what it means right?
Considering the current state of the world, it’s hard to get worked up about Prime. His public existence is self justifying immorality, based on wanting nothing more to matter to the very world that his only impact upon is to taint. The world is a measurably worse place because he exists, a festering sore whose only income is derived from generating ad revenue for monsters who are worse than he is and prey upon the incredulity of people who may be smarter but are more ignorant. A con artist who is so bad at his job you slip him a dollar, not because you bought his line, but because you pity him.

He’s so incompetent at being a piece of shit that he should just blatantly lie. His attempt to pretend he has access only reveal his stupidly, and it he made shit up at least it would be stuff he understands.

Note to NintendoPrime: I give you full consent to share this in your videos, and will provide a translation if any of the words had too many syllables

More smoke on the May 2024 launch. I mentioned a few days ago talking to a very weighted investor (IE: Owns a LOT of shares) that mentioned May 2024 as a launch month and some other dudes in that circle are preparing as such. The guy won't get back to me. I want to know if I stumbled on inside information or just getting trolled lol. The fact that the trend of launch months go against us here and other proven leakers have not mentioned May 2024 still gives me doubt.
No offense but im really starting to have deja vu of Polygon from last year making similar statements lol

Considering the current state of the world, it’s hard to get worked up about Prime. His public existence is self justifying immorality, based on wanting nothing more to matter to the very world that his only impact upon is to taint. The world is a measurably worse place because he exists, a festering sore whose only income is derived from generating ad revenue for monsters who are worse than he is and prey upon the incredulity of people who may be smarter but are more ignorant. A con artist who is so bad at his job you slip him a dollar, not because you bought his line, but because you pity him.

He’s so incompetent at being a piece of shit that he should just blatantly lie. His attempt to pretend he has access only reveal his stupidly, and it he made shit up at least it would be stuff he understands.

Note to NintendoPrime: I give you full consent to share this in your videos, and will provide a translation if any of the words had too many syllables
Damn....lol

Oldpuck Wins
Flawless Victory
BrutaFatality

Hmm, would Nintendo really have things in Switch firmware updates that could refer to ReDraketed?

I have the feeling they're very aware of people datamining everything today, so i would think that the devs work with different branches for Switch and ReDraketed despite basically "sharing" the OS so that no stuff from ReDraketed would slip into Switch firmware things.

This pic hurts so much because it's so fucking true.

Gotta admit I enjoy seeing how much of the speculation shared in this thread is reported elsewhere as rumors or leaks.

Gotta ask you as the professional here ... should Fami monetize on this? And if yes, how?

;D

Hmm, would Nintendo really have things in Switch firmware updates that could refer to ReDraketed?

I have the feeling they're very aware of people datamining everything today, so i would think that the devs work with different branches for Switch and ReDraketed despite basically "sharing" the OS so that no stuff from ReDraketed would slip into Switch firmware things.
They most likely are. But maintaining compatability between two systems requires some things slipping though, they just don't make explicit references to Drake but "alternate" hardware

There are worse things to do on youtube than try to make a living off hype around a product. There are plenty of people who love Nintendo and Switch, and would be excited about Switch 2, these youtube channels do a service, just think back 10 years ago, how news sites use to cover Nintendo with distain.

NintendoPrime, if you have questions about Nintendo Switch 2, I got you. This information doesn't belong to any of us, and should be shared freely. Oldpuck, you are absolutely a pillar of this community and I enjoy all of our interactions, so this wasn't a dig at you. I can understand why people are annoyed at youtubers hyping up every lead, but that is literally their job, even if it's self inflicted.

BTW, the specs I gave you (NP) are still looking like the outcome, we don't have hard clocks yet, but we will hopefully be able to confirm them in the next few months.

There are worse things to do on youtube than try to make a living off hype around a product. There are plenty of people who love Nintendo and Switch, and would be excited about Switch 2, these youtube channels do a service, just think back 10 years ago, how news sites use to cover Nintendo with distain.

NintendoPrime, if you have questions about Nintendo Switch 2, I got you. This information doesn't belong to any of us, and should be shared freely. Oldpuck, you are absolutely a pillar of this community and I enjoy all of our interactions, so this wasn't a dig at you. I can understand why people are annoyed at youtubers hyping up every lead, but that is literally their job, even if it's self inflicted.
You must not be aware of Prime's racist statements, hence Oldpuck's comment.

I don't think it's an issue as long as they don't let anything massive (ex: the final name for the upcoming hardware) slip. The truth is, I can't imagine most people (as in those who don't use Famiboards or regularly keep tabs on Switch 2 updates) really being blown away by the prospect of the Switch 2:
  • Being similar to the Switch 1 (most people expect another hybrid console)
  • The Switch 2 seemingly trying to keep accounts consistent across generations (Furukawa straight up said this was the plan)
  • The Switch 2 possibly having backwards compatibility aided by touch screen resolution resizing (I don't know if most casual gamers expect this, but I think a notable number of them do and at the very least, most people consider it a strong possibility)
  • The Switch 2 coming soon and Nintendo is getting ready for it (most people expect this)
It's not the kind of thing that would get picked up by IGN or VGC in the same vein as "4k, 60FPS, no loading screens, BotW" or "super high quality Matrix demo" is my point. It makes for great speculation over here, but in terms of keeping Switch 2 stuff under wraps, I can't imagine this hurts Nintendo or their plans at all. Perhaps even more so when a pessimist could pretty easily just hand wave all of this as being just for the Switch 1.

I don't think Nintendo really mind if the super involved speculators (aka anyone who browses this thread) have a semi-grasp on what they have cooking, because as long as the greater population is still mostly in the dark, there's no reason to worry on their end.

Quite a takedown by Oldpuck there. I can confirm that NintendoPrime is a racist. I also remember him reaching out to that other racist, alt-right, oxygen-thieving shitpiece Josh Thomas (TheBitBlock) for a collab in 2018. Remembered telling him I was disappointed he would share a platform with the guy, and he was warned by others that he was very problematic, too, but apparently he didn’t see a problem with it. “Just wanted to discuss Nintendo, Man…”. He didn’t care about the past, except it was very much the present at the time. So, Yeah, I was done with him back then. Imagine glossing over all of that. Then he posted some vile things on here. He showed me who he is, and I believed him. I don’t watch his content as a point of principle. You would do well not to, too. For me, I’m Black, dyspraxic, and don’t get to treat such views as mere differences of opinion - they’re very threatening, hurtful, even online, and they take their toll on my emotional health. I don’t have the privilege of saying “none of this is a real place” (all the more wild, given that you can buy things on a site with your money from another side of the world and have them delivered by a real person to your doorstep). But Yeah, Whatever. As You Were.

People getting surprised that some (a lot) vote for his own interests despite disagreeing on some points?

Welcome to capitalism, its happening all around the globe.

Edit to clarify: I didnt read his entire post lol

BTW, the specs I gave you (NP) are still looking like the outcome, we don't have hard clocks yet, but we will hopefully be able to confirm them in the next few months.
Putting Prime problematic thinking aside, what specs are we talking about here?has anything changed?

It's like the nth time numerous Famiboards members are saying he is a racist ; hell I've said it a few pages before.
It's getting old.

Quite a takedown by Oldpuck there. I can confirm that NintendoPrime is a racist. I also remember him reaching out to that other racist, alt-right, oxygen-thieving shitpiece Josh Thomas (TheBitBlock) for a collab in 2018. Remembered telling him I was disappointed he would share a platform with the guy, and he was warned by others that he was very problematic, too, but apparently he didn’t see a problem with it. “Just wanted to discuss Nintendo, Man…”. He didn’t care about the past, except it was very much the present at the time. So, Yeah, I was done with him back then. Imagine glossing over all of that. Then he posted some vile things on here. He showed me who he is, and I believed him. I don’t watch his content as a point of principle. You would do well not to, too. For me, I’m Black, dyspraxic, and don’t get to treat such views as mere differences of opinion - they’re very threatening, hurtful, even online, and they take their toll on my emotional health. I don’t have the privilege of saying “none of this is a real place” (all the more wild, given that you can buy things on a site with your money from another side of the world and have them delivered by a real person to your doorstep). But Yeah, Whatever. As You Were.
Yeah, the reasoning loopholes for supporting republicans is a real problem, they need to lose all power. For what it's worth, I do think Andrew Yang (D) would have been a great president. His basic universal income, even if it didn't happen, is something I believe we will eventually have to adopt. Eat the rich.

Also Josh Thomas, smh... I remember the days before we knew he was racist and Rogersbase was his friend, so glad that Roger didn't stick around, genuinely one of the few Nintendo youtubers I like.
Putting Prime problematic thinking aside, what specs are we talking about here?has anything changed?
8 A78C CPU cores at ~1.5GHz to 2GHz (depending on 8nm or 4nm, though I believe 8nm to be very very unlikely).
1536 cuda cores @ 660MHz portable (2TFLOPs), 1125MHz docked (3.456TFLOPs) 48 Tensor cores (DLSS + Ray reconstruction) 12 RT cores (better RT performance than current gen consoles IMO.
12GB RAM (probably)
fast stronger (capable of Nanite technology).

Basically it should trade blows with XBSS when docked, probably pull ahead of it in most categories.

Not a fan of a lot of these nintendo youtubers and it is entertaining to watch people rip them one but I think it's time we get back to the important stuff.

Doom posting about 8nm

Not a fan of a lot of these nintendo youtubers and it is entertaining to watch people rip them one but I think it's time we get back to the important stuff.

Doom posting about 8nm
Can we start ripping on the doomposting youtubers instead? cough*LinusTechTips*cough

Basically it should trade blows with XBSS when docked, probably pull ahead of it in most categories.

Good to hear.
Although honestly, I think showing a real-time demonstration of The Matrix Awakens running on the actual chip should alleviate any fears.

Yeah, the reasoning loopholes for supporting republicans is a real problem, they need to lose all power. For what it's worth, I do think Andrew Yang (D) would have been a great president. His basic universal income, even if it didn't happen, is something I believe we will eventually have to adopt. Eat the rich.

Also Josh Thomas, smh... I remember the days before we knew he was racist and Rogersbase was his friend, so glad that Roger didn't stick around, genuinely one of the few Nintendo youtubers I like.

8 A78C CPU cores at ~1.5GHz to 2GHz (depending on 8nm or 4nm, though I believe 8nm to be very very unlikely).
1536 cuda cores @ 660MHz portable (2TFLOPs), 1125MHz docked (3.456TFLOPs) 48 Tensor cores (DLSS + Ray reconstruction) 12 RT cores (better RT performance than current gen consoles IMO.
12GB RAM (probably)
fast stronger (capable of Nanite technology).

Those specs paired with an OLED would have been a wet dream...
Its sad but at least its going to be a small beast!

Those specs paired with an OLED would have been a wet dream...
Its sad but at least its going to be a small beast!
Honestly, I'm OK with the bigger screen, it's the controller compatibility that I'm worried about. As long as it comes with good controllers and can charge Joy-Con, I'll be happy though. I hope my Pro Controllers can be used for "Switch 2" games, like how Xbox does it, rather than how PS5 doesn't let you use PS4 controllers for PS5 games...

Bigger screen should mean more spread out weight but similar power consumption, so more comfortable, being able to sit further back in tabletop mode, using bigger more comfortable controllers.

If I may speculate on the matter, it seems the increased size may be a consideration of user comfort, rather than technical requirement.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom