• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Nintendo Direct: The Super Mario Bros. Movie | 10/6 1:05 p.m. PT

593 million to be exact

Its why calling illumination cheap is incorrect, they know very well where to spend a fuckload of money on the most soulless films you will ever see
Though, would this advertising budget really be something that they carry on their back? IIRC Illumination's films are all published and distributed by Universal, so I'd assume Universal is throwing cash around in the advertising of their stuff.
Which reminds me, the official site of the Mario movie mentions Nintendo helped pay for this Mario film, so that likely explains why their creative control has been waaaaaaaaay above the Hollywood average.

Though, would this advertising budget really be something that they carry on their back? IIRC Illumination's films are all published and distributed by Universal, so I'd assume Universal is throwing cash around in the advertising of their stuff.
Which reminds me, the official site of the Mario movie mentions Nintendo helped pay for this Mario film, so that likely explains why their creative control has been waaaaaaaaay above the Hollywood average.
Breaking: first time illumination pays more than 1 dollar in a film!

don't forget Jack black is part of that autism speaks

doesn't mean he shares their views tho. and if he does they're his personal political beliefs. everyone has a right to have those right? Also I don't care because it personally doesn't impact me. just wanna watch a fun movie without having to think of bad things happening to real people.

/s if it wasn't clear enough

I went to a public school and lived in a goated community

I'm sorry
0BSAeyY.jpg

sounds rad dude 👍

The Autism Speaks thing really doesn't surprise me, it's the most well known autism organization and its problems are not known or reported on very frequently. Doesn't excuse it, but I think the average person just sees an organization that claims to support autistic people, and that's as far as they get.

The Autism Speaks thing really doesn't surprise me, it's the most well known autism organization and its problems are not known or reported on very frequently. Doesn't excuse it, but I think the average person just sees an organization that claims to support autistic people, and that's as far as they get.
Yeah, I give Jack a pass on that for the reason you stated. I didn't even know Autism Speaks was anything other than a legit advocacy group, until I looked into it because of what was shared in this thread.

But Pratt, I don't give a pass because you don't wear Three Percenters insignia to a cop party without knowing what it stands for when your brother is literally one of them.

btw I wasn't trying to reopen the worm can, I was genuinely trying to clarify why I'd give some people a pass for things but not Pratt

I unfortunately agree. I'm not here to give a  pass for it (as an autistic person it absolutely sucks that Autism Speaks is as prominent as it is), but I recognize that it's normalized.

Makes me wish a group like, say, the Autism Self Advocacy Network had that clout instead.

This is fair. Hopefully with Black it’s more down to ignorance instead of something more wilfully malicious.

So I avoid politics on my channel, but this isn't my channel so I figured I would speak up, as my parents, and basically half my family, votes republican. The other half votes democrat, and yes, this makes for some VERY interesting family gatherings around the holiday season... especially in election years for state/national elections (nobody seems to argue over the local elections, which actually impact them more than the national ones do, but I think that's because no matter who runs things in our town, nothing seems to change and life is fairly peaceful).

That being said, I have been to rallies on both sides of the isle in the state of wisconsin because of my family. I have been to conventions on both sides. Several times. Although religion (in our families case, Roman Catholics) is very prevalent in all of my family and nearly everyone goes to church, there doesn't seem to be a real connection between them all being roman catholics and what they vote for, since as I said, they all go every sunday and every church picnic and church event, but they all vote different ways. I am setting the table a little to help explain my perspective, as this isn't one that is based in city living, but rather out in the areas that are typically considered to be heavily red.

The reason I want to address this is because while my parents and others did definitely vote for Trump. Twice, I think people massively misunderstand why a lot of people vote the way they do. Much of the internet focuses so heavily on social issues. Racism, Bigotry, LGBTQ+ rights, equality, work place treatment, and sure... abortion rights are a big one right now. A LOT of people online really heavily focus on this stuff. And that's fine - for many people these are the things that decide how they vote.

But others have different things they value most. As an example, my parents voted trump purely because the tax laws under him help them keep more of the money they make (in particular, my dad). This matters, because my mom is handicapped and my father getting to keep even more of his paycheck helps him support taking care of her as they are a one income family. You may go that's a stupid reason to vote trump - but when you have issues you deal with personally one one side over another side is going to be able to best help you out in your given situation, you sort of overlook all the other stuff because in many of the areas in wisconsin that are heavily red leaning, the issues the internet drones on about doesn't seem affected here.

As an example, we have a quickly growing black and hmung community (I think that's how it's spelled) and they are never looked down upon here and work in good jobs like everyone else. We have a pretty vibrant gay community that nobody seems to give any gruff too, even at the bars. My sister literally had gay friends in her wedding in a Catholic Church. I think what gets lost on many is they have a narrow view of what being a republican means because they are so focused on whats happening in the highly dense and populated areas of the US, that when they look out towards rural america (in at least my areas), these issues are huge non factors and thus not something people are focusing on when they vote. Instead they are focusing on who's going to get our roads fixed and snow plows running, who's going to give us the most tax breaks. For others who aren't as fortunate, they vote based on what's best going to benefit them too.

It so happens most people who vote democrat here are also living off wellfare and popping out kids like crazy to keep the checks coming. So when you see this, it can greatly influence that why would you want to support a side that's allowing this to happen and keeps giving them more and more of the money that they earn? That's the gist of how voting lines work on here. Those that make even 50k+, vote Republican. Those that make less, vote democrat. And the split on the line isn't a social disagreement over abortion/rights laws, it's purely because both sides want money. Republicans want to keep theirs, democrats want more free money from the government.

I am not saying this applies to both parties on the whole nor can I say this applies to say, rural areas in alabama and other southern states. I can only speak for rural areas of wisconsin, minnesota, and michigan. And none of this applies to cities.

You can argue it's socially and collectively irresponsible to vote based purely on your own self interest rather than the interest of every person on the whole, nit of we're REALLY honest, a lot of us vote for that very reason anyways. It just so happens whatever that self interest is may not be driven by money. It might be driven by abortion rights or whatever thing you prioritize more than money.

But it is my experience that a majority of republicans I know literally don't care about racism, don't care about abortion laws, don't care about bigotry. Because basically... we don't really have issues with this stuff overall in our area. It's not something they are seeing every day.

So they vote based on what helps them live a better life - which is generally about money. It's why it's so hard hearing people online say if you vote republican it means you support all this crazy stuff, and then the right will fire back and say if you vote democrat it means you support people being lazy and living off government aid instead of working for a living, etc.

All of these views, just like my own, are skewed by where we live and what our upbringing is. So to add perspective: Everyone is my family are very nice people, have never talked down or looked down upon another person in their lives, all of them donate to charity, work at soup kitchens, volunteer time for the homeless, and do IMHO, a lot of good. But because some of them voted to keep the money they make, they get grouped with a bunch of other people.

I think in reality, there is a HUGE chunk of people on both sides that would love a legit 3rd party that will give them what they want and stop with the BS that goes both ways, but because the two party system is so engrained it's really hard to vote anyone else and actually get what you want. So you can call the reason some of my family votes the way they do short sighted, but I also think the amount of people that are extreme isn't as large as you think, and the only reason the Republicans hold power is because a lot of peopl emaking money want to keep their money. If you flipped ideologies and instead, republicans were for giving handouts and democrats for tax breaks for wealthier people, but then both sides KEPT their ideologies on rights? I almost think the democratic party would landslide the entire country like 70-30. But that's just not reality. The money issue is what keeps so many republicans on that side.

I know this too, because for a little while all of wisconsin went blue, and it went blue because the democratic governor's policy promises included tax breaks to let people north of 50k keep more of their money.

Over time however, too many extremist found their way into politics and power, and it's a crap show.

As for my political affiliation? Completely independent. I am seen a lot of bullshit on both sides. I voted Andrew Yang for the last presidency, as I believe and still do to this day, that he was ACTUALLY the right man for the job. But, who cares what I think lol.

Speaking about Jack Black, the autism speaks stuff is the #1 charity that shows up in every single search engine in the world for autism, and their websites and claims all seem above board and without a deeper dive, it appears to be a worthy charity to help autistic people. And, the real issues of that charity are not very well covered. Most of what he supports and where his money goes is partly determined by an agent, and they worry a lot about public image. Most people that are famous supporting autism speaks likely do so because they think it's actually a pretty good charity that's making a big difference.

I have no clue if they actually are, but I know as someone who isn't autistic and knows nothing, if it wasn't for people on the internet tell me it's bad, I wouldn't know any better tbh.
The only thing you've convinced me is your family is selfish and votes to keep their money and that they don't care about bigotry, both of which I know intrinsically already because they vote Republican. There's no magical calculus to how Republican voters think, politically they are motivated by selfish desires. The Republican Party is supported and run by well off people who don't want undesirables to have a better chance at life.

And don't give me that "both sides" bullshit. I have no love for the Democrats, I'm a Marxist, but the idea that you are saying anything meaningful by staying in the center is cowardly. But it's pretty obvious where you stand, saying people who vote Democrat are welfare queens.

This often lauded simple minded rural voter who just wants things the way they are is propped up by media outlets (let's interview "real people" aka people in a cafe on Ohio) to legitimize the Republican Party. They vote to continue to uphold inequality and enrich themselves.

If someone in support of a party that is openly racist and homophobic, they are racist and homophobic.

Much of the internet focuses so heavily on social issues. Racism, Bigotry, LGBTQ+ rights, equality, work place treatment, and sure... abortion rights are a big one right now. A LOT of people online really heavily focus on this stuff. And that's fine - for many people these are the things that decide how they vote
you sort of overlook all the other stuff because in many of the areas in wisconsin that are heavily red leaning, the issues the internet drones on about doesn't seem affected here.

As an example, we have a quickly growing black and hmung community (I think that's how it's spelled) and they are never looked down upon here and work in good jobs like everyone else. We have a pretty vibrant gay community that nobody seems to give any gruff too, even at the bars. My sister literally had gay friends in her wedding in a Catholic Church. I think what gets lost on many is they have a narrow view of what being a republican means because they are so focused on whats happening in the highly dense and populated areas of the US, that when they look out towards rural america (in at least my areas), these issues are huge non factors
It so happens most people who vote democrat here are also living off wellfare and popping out kids like crazy to keep the checks coming.
But it is my experience that a majority of republicans I know literally don't care about racism, don't care about abortion laws, don't care about bigotry. Because basically... we don't really have issues with this stuff overall in our area. It's not something they are seeing every day.
As for my political affiliation? Completely independent. I am seen a lot of bullshit on both sides. I voted Andrew Yang for the last presidency, as I believe and still do to this day, that he was ACTUALLY the right man for the job. But, who cares what I think lol.

Incredible stuff all around. Thank you for taking so much time to write that you're ignorant as fuck at best

well calling him an asshole is against the tos
Yeah. On that note, it's some real horse shit that someone got banned for the same amount of time as a bigot for calling their pattern of bigotry out. Sort of seems like the staff are saying the offense of how the bigotry was called out is equal to the bigotry

The only thing you've convinced me is your family is selfish and votes to keep their money and that they don't care about bigotry, both of which I know intrinsically already because they vote Republican. There's no magical calculus to how Republican voters think, politically they are motivated by selfish desires. The Republican Party is supported and run by well off people who don't want undesirables to have a better chance at life.

And don't give me that "both sides" bullshit. I have no love for the Democrats, I'm a Marxist, but the idea that you are saying anything meaningful by staying in the center is cowardly. But it's pretty obvious where you stand, saying people who vote Democrat are welfare queens.

This often lauded simple minded rural voter who just wants things the way they are is propped up by media outlets (let's interview "real people" aka people in a cafe on Ohio) to legitimize the Republican Party. They vote to continue to uphold inequality and enrich themselves.

If someone in support of a party that is openly racist and homophobic, they are racist and homophobic.

I find this to be interesting. My family who is always bending over to do something for others is selfish because they don't wish to give over 35% of their money to the government, and instead want to keep that money so they can choose where it is best used to help others and so they can make sure they can take care of themselves.

This is the problem. Someone has a different priority than you, and because of this, you hate how they vote and simply say "if they vote republican, they are racist and homophobic"

This is literally like me saying "if you vote democrat, you think nobody shoudl work for a living and everyone should live off government hand outs"

It's an ignorant take. There is more at play when you vote than social issues. It's fine if social issues are the ONLY concern you have. Again, your priorities are your priorities. And you will find plenty of people here, online, and IRL that agree with your priorities. But calling my parents racist because they vote for what best helps them in their life is just ignorant. I am sorry. It is. Because being racist, being homophobic, is based on personal ideologies and actions, not those of something you are loosely affiliated to through a ballot. This is exactly why politics are not talked about on my channel. Look how angry and assumptive people get just based on if you vote red or blue. It's really scary. And this is the world I am raising my children in where everyone pretends life is black and white, when really life is fully of a bunch of grey - and that includes politically.

Incredible stuff all around. Thank you for taking so much time to write that you're ignorant as fuck at best

I am so happy that explaining things about why people vote the way they do in my family makes you want to call me "ignorant as fuck". Why are we resorting to insults? Is that really called for?

Life isn't black and white just because you want it to be, unfortunately.

this is a bit callous, no?
I noted that this is not my viewpoint of the democratic party. I am saying that this is what factually happens in our area and helps shape the viewpoints. In my county, 7,034 people are on wellfare. Of that, according to our county polling, 70% of them have 3+ children with parents who don't work. Of that 70%, polling showed 69% of them voted democrat. That 69% represented 98% of all democratic votes in the county.

Does that mean you aren't considering individual circumstances? Of course, polling never does that. It's just an explanation for why people think the way they do. I do not view democrats this way, but I can understand why people around me where I live do. That's all.

I noted that this is not my viewpoint of the democratic party. I am saying that this is what factually happens in our area and helps shape the viewpoints. In my county, 7,034 people are on wellfare. Of that, according to our county polling, 70% of them have 3+ children with parents who don't work. Of that 70%, polling showed 69% of them voted democrat. That 69% represented 98% of all democratic votes in the county.

Does that mean you aren't considering individual circumstances? Of course, polling never does that. It's just an explanation for why people think the way they do. I do not view democrats this way, but I can understand why people around me where I live do. That's all.
saying people are "popping out kids like crazy" to keep their welfare checks is a value judgment, not statistics

Absolutely incredible post from @NintendoPrime ! His family doesn't see homophobia or racism where he's from, so it's fine to vote for people who want to take their rights away! It doesn't matter if the actions of these politicians are harming them, because the voters really just wanted to keep their money instead of trying to force transgender people to go back in the closet. I guess is queers just gotta shut up and take it because the people supporting bigots are real nice!

Love when a centrist walks into the room! Gotta find the middle ground between queer people wanting to live their lives and a party that wants us all dead. Wonder how it feels to be on the fence while states are taking away health care from transgender people? For you, I bet it's real comfy!

I find this to be interesting. My family who is always bending over to do something for others is selfish because they don't wish to give over 35% of their money to the government, and instead want to keep that money so they can choose where it is best used to help others and so they can make sure they can take care of themselves.

This is the problem. Someone has a different priority than you, and because of this, you hate how they vote and simply say "if they vote republican, they are racist and homophobic"

This is literally like me saying "if you vote democrat, you think nobody shoudl work for a living and everyone should live off government hand outs"

It's an ignorant take. There is more at play when you vote than social issues. It's fine if social issues are the ONLY concern you have. Again, your priorities are your priorities. And you will find plenty of people here, online, and IRL that agree with your priorities. But calling my parents racist because they vote for what best helps them in their life is just ignorant. I am sorry. It is. Because being racist, being homophobic, is based on personal ideologies and actions, not those of something you are loosely affiliated to through a ballot. This is exactly why politics are not talked about on my channel. Look how angry and assumptive people get just based on if you vote red or blue. It's really scary. And this is the world I am raising my children in where everyone pretends life is black and white, when really life is fully of a bunch of grey - and that includes politically.

I am so happy that explaining things about why people vote the way they do in my family makes you want to call me "ignorant as fuck". Why are we resorting to insults? Is that really called for?

Life isn't black and white just because you want it to be, unfortunately.

This post is nothing but cowardice masquerading as attempted nuance. You are afraid to take a stance except "my parents are great even though they vote for the fascists and maybe the people who hate welfare queens have a point!" If you're gonna bring this weak shit, don't even bother. Enjoy your ban.

Last edited:
to people who find me taking issue with a tiny part of that post suspect, it's because I didn't read all that shit and just saw someone else quote it

demonstrating the intellectual rigor one would expect of a lesser mammal

I unfortunately agree. I'm not here to give a  pass for it (as an autistic person it absolutely sucks that Autism Speaks is as prominent as it is), but I recognize that it's normalized.

Makes me wish a group like, say, the Autism Self Advocacy Network had that clout instead.
Yeah this is how I feel about it 😭 I hate A$ with a passion and I hope they implode ASAP but I know a lot of celebrities don't actively vet who their charity money goes to (which is an issue IMO, just not the same one) and A$ will look like a "normal" charity to most people who don't know better or don't know that they should look into it. At least ASAN is gaining some ground now but I hope they can hit more mainstream sooner rather than later.

Still, being as loud as we can about it (in this case as in any other) is the best chance we have of minimizing their harm in a lot of cases.

I know we just banned you, but my personal two cents here is that when a lot of people in a thread express upset at someone for being pro-"the party that consistently acts to remove civil rights from marginalized people", it's really not a great defense to say "I know people who don't actively want them to take your rights away, but are fine with helping them do that in exchange for tax cuts". Without touching any other of the myriad issues with this post.

Also I would recommend not chiming in with your personal opinions on anti-autism hate groups when autistic people are already talking about them and all you have to bring is "well some people don't know".

Yeah. On that note, it's some real horse shit that someone got banned for the same amount of time as a bigot for calling their pattern of bigotry out. Sort of seems like the staff are saying the offense of how the bigotry was called out is equal to the bigotry
Nah, the callout was completely fine on its own (we let everyone else get their piece in), the issue was publicly dragging in years-old off-site screenshots as a gotcha when the posts on fami were plenty bad enough to call out on their own (and Clix copped a ban as a direct result of their posts here), and Mendinso already knew staff wasn't going to like it that he did it but went ahead anyways.

That said, we were already talking about it more in mod chat and have adjusted Clix's ban to two weeks. In the future though, we'd appreciate if you let us know things like this in the Moderation Feedback thread, it's easy for us to miss in other threads and we do care about all your opinions on how we action things, and we have and will adjust things as a result of feedback.

Man wrote a whole essay just to say shit about “people popping out babies to live off of welfare” meanwhile the racism siren is blaring at full blast 🚨 🚨 🚨
Meanwhile the other guy is talking about how “libertarianism is sound” 🤣
Y’all are not slick!

Anyone else want to volunteer their Republican family? I'll call them bigoted too. We got all night, let's go.
In my case, no need, I do enough of that myself. I'm frequently appalled by the bullshit my mother spouts. I feel zero need to defend her beliefs, or whitewash her as being "a good person who just voted this way because reasons, actually". I can tell you here and now: after a lifetime of knowing her, I'd say she's actually not the greatest person! Who'd have thought.

...uhhhhhh,  wow

The moment has passed so I won't dwell too much but let me just say that I am very glad that moderation acted quickly on this manner, because that kinda crap should not be tolerated.

Yeah this is how I feel about it 😭 I hate A$ with a passion and I hope they implode ASAP but I know a lot of celebrities don't actively vet who their charity money goes to (which is an issue IMO, just not the same one) and A$ will look like a "normal" charity to most people who don't know better or don't know that they should look into it. At least ASAN is gaining some ground now but I hope they can hit more mainstream sooner rather than later.

Still, being as loud as we can about it (in this case as in any other) is the best chance we have of minimizing their harm in a lot of cases.

I know we just banned you, but my personal two cents here is that when a lot of people in a thread express upset at someone for being pro-"the party that consistently acts to remove civil rights from marginalized people", it's really not a great defense to say "I know people who don't actively want them to take your rights away, but are fine with helping them do that in exchange for tax cuts". Without touching any other of the myriad issues with this post.

Also I would recommend not chiming in with your personal opinions on anti-autism hate groups when autistic people are already talking about them and all you have to bring is "well some people don't know".

Nah, the callout was completely fine on its own (we let everyone else get their piece in), the issue was publicly dragging in years-old off-site screenshots as a gotcha when the posts on fami were plenty bad enough to call out on their own (and Clix copped a ban as a direct result of their posts here), and Mendinso already knew staff wasn't going to like it that he did it but went ahead anyways.

That said, we were already talking about it more in mod chat and have adjusted Clix's ban to two weeks. In the future though, we'd appreciate if you let us know things like this in the Moderation Feedback thread, it's easy for us to miss in other threads and we do care about all your opinions on how we action things, and we have and will adjust things as a result of feedback.
It’s probably fair game to bring up someone’s past bigotry in reference to their current excusing of bigotry. Sometimes the only way to confirm someone is a right wing dipshit concern trolling on the forum is to see how they act on other platforms where they aren’t playing nice to try and skirt bans. I get y’all don’t like people posting era posts but if someone here knows someone from there, that information doesn’t just go away they know how the person has conducted themself in the past and are probably going to bring it up. Are people just not supposed to reference past behavior they’ve seen, or can they reference but not post a screenshot, or what?

to people who find me taking issue with a tiny part of that post suspect, it's because I didn't read all that shit and just saw someone else quote it

demonstrating the intellectual rigor one would expect of a lesser mammal
this post is fuckin fantastic

This entire conversation could've been avoided if they had gotten Ryan Gosling or Chris Hemsworth instead of Pratt
Orrrrr, even better, if Nintendo likely stuck to their guns and remind everyone of the value of their IP, instead of letting Illumination insist on Hollywood talent.

The very idea that a Mario movie, a movie that first and foremost is going to be marketed to children, somehow needed "recognizable" names like Pratt as a headliner, is still so very inane to me. You think young children are going to care that much that the dude who plays Star-Lord or the generic action man from the last Jurassic Park trilogy is Mario's new voice?

This entire conversation could've been avoided if they had gotten Ryan Gosling or Chris Hemsworth instead of Pratt

Glenn Howerton was in consideration to play Star Lord.

Should've done a switcheroo and had him be Mario instead of Pratt.

Would've been a fever dream.

4zw6i16e6vux.png

(Pls ignore that he is green here)

Orrrrr, even better, if Nintendo likely stuck to their guns and remind everyone of the value of their IP, instead of letting Illumination insist on Hollywood talent.

The very idea that a Mario movie, a movie that first and foremost is going to be marketed to children, somehow needed "recognizable" names like Pratt as a headliner, is still so very inane to me. You think young children are going to care that much that the dude who plays Star-Lord or the generic action man from the last Jurassic Park trilogy is Mario's new voice?
This isn't about the movie to me, I just really want to see Ryan Gosling in a press release having to pretend he knows what a Lakitu is and sucking in his teeth angry when some geek at Comic-Con asks him to list his favorite three Mario RPGs from the last decade.

This isn't about the movie to me, I just really want to see Ryan Gosling in a press release having to pretend he knows what a Lakitu is and sucking in his teeth angry when some geek at Comic-Con asks him to list his favorite three Mario RPGs from the last decade.
He'd be like "psh, the peak of the Mario RPGs was in the 2000s, Paper Mario, Thousand Year Door, Superstar Saga, Bowser's Inside Story, you kidding?"

I'm sorry if my comment came across as hand-wavey regarding Black's association with them, I genuinely didn't mean to diminish or well-ackshually the stance, I only meant to point out why I'm so much more offended by Pratt

You think young children are going to care that much that the dude who plays Star-Lord or the generic action man from the last Jurassic Park trilogy is Mario's new voice?
No but their parents will. Like when they got Benedict Cumberbatch to play.. who was it, The Grinch or something? The kids don't even know who that is, but the people buying the tickets do. When they see names of actors they know and like all over the commercials and posters, I'm sure it softens them a bit when the kid asks to go see the movie.

He'd be like "psh, the peak of the Mario RPGs was in the 2000s, Paper Mario, Thousand Year Door, Superstar Saga, Bowser's Inside Story, you kidding?"
Like when they cast Ben Schwartz as Sonic and he proceeded to spend the press tour gushing about the history of the games and even livestreamed himself playing through the Genesis entries

It’s probably fair game to bring up someone’s past bigotry in reference to their current excusing of bigotry. Sometimes the only way to confirm someone is a right wing dipshit concern trolling on the forum is to see how they act on other platforms where they aren’t playing nice to try and skirt bans. I get y’all don’t like people posting era posts but if someone here knows someone from there, that information doesn’t just go away they know how the person has conducted themself in the past and are probably going to bring it up. Are people just not supposed to reference past behavior they’ve seen, or can they reference but not post a screenshot, or what?
Honestly it's really hard to say a clear-cut rule because it's a delicate line to walk and it's really easy to accidentally encourage the wrong thing. And I know that sucks to hear as a user, because then you can't have a clear idea what you are and aren't allowed to do.

Personally I think it's completely fair game if you see a post that's an issue and think "hey, I remember a post from 2018 where this was already an issue" and you send it over to the mods in a report so we can have full context when we decide what actions to take, and if anyone does that I'm happy to take it into account. You can add as much context as you want, you can give us as much of your opinion as you want, and we'll take all of that into consideration.

But putting it in full blast in the thread (and Mendinso told us he expected he would get in trouble for doing it) as a gotcha, when the posts are all around 4 years old and not all of them were relevant even then, just feels like a step too far, especially in cases where there's already plenty to point at and say "hey this isn't okay" on the post already on Fami. That said, Mendinso is free to appeal the ban if he thinks we were overly harsh, and like I said above we're happy to discuss and adjust how we moderate.

I hope that explains our logic at least a little bit, I honestly completely agreed with most of Mendinso's points (along with just about everyone else calling things out in this thread) and it fucking sucks to have to read all that "not all republicans" stuff, and I don't want to tone police anyone who's upset about it.

I'm sorry if my comment came across as hand-wavey regarding Black's association with them, I genuinely didn't mean to diminish or well-ackshually the stance, I only meant to point out why I'm so much more offended by Pratt
No worries, your post didn't bug me personally at all, and it didn't feel like you were diminishing it to me.

Honestly it's really hard to say a clear-cut rule because it's a delicate line to walk and it's really easy to accidentally encourage the wrong thing. And I know that sucks to hear as a user, because then you can't have a clear idea what you are and aren't allowed to do.

Personally I think it's completely fair game if you see a post that's an issue and think "hey, I remember a post from 2018 where this was already an issue" and you send it over to the mods in a report so we can have full context when we decide what actions to take, and if anyone does that I'm happy to take it into account. You can add as much context as you want, you can give us as much of your opinion as you want, and we'll take all of that into consideration.

But putting it in full blast in the thread (and Mendinso told us he expected he would get in trouble for doing it) as a gotcha, when the posts are all around 4 years old and not all of them were relevant even then, just feels like a step too far, especially in cases where there's already plenty to point at and say "hey this isn't okay" on the post already on Fami. That said, Mendinso is free to appeal the ban if he thinks we were overly harsh, and like I said above we're happy to discuss and adjust how we moderate.

I hope that explains our logic at least a little bit, I honestly completely agreed with most of Mendinso's points (along with just about everyone else calling things out in this thread) and it fucking sucks to have to read all that "not all republicans" stuff, and I don't want to tone police anyone who's upset about it.

No worries, your post didn't bug me personally at all, and it didn't feel like you were diminishing it to me.
Ok fair enough.

I'm autistic but personally I dislike having to disclose that every time I have an opinion on something related to autism. That's all I'll say on that.

Anyway, in closing: nobody is saying you can't love your Republican family, but you can't make us love them. If you're going to concern troll about Democrats being welfare queens and saying that tax cuts exempts GOP voters from being racist (???) then don't be surprised when people tell you to go fuck yourself. I have antipathy for a lot of Democrat politicians, but I have zero patience for anyone who wants to talk about how rural GOP voters are misunderstood or how trauma forced your parents to vote Republican. Get fucking real.

I don't have anything to add to conversation other than Hollywood is a hellhole where most of the severe issues and problematic behavior are given a pass everyday. Easier if you keep starring blockbuster after another.

At the end of the day, the mere fact of this being a product made in this particular circle, for the audience that doesn't know any better, you inevitably get shitty heads like Pratt. Heck doesn't Marvel/Disney is still giving spotlight to a known anti-vaxx in the next Black Panther movie? .. I also heard things about Jim Carrey (though I admit I didn't check the realibility) that made me super sad...

Well, I guess here I am fortunate that at least the Brazilian dub will privy me from hearing Pratt directly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom