• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Nintendo Direct: The Super Mario Bros. Movie | 10/6 1:05 p.m. PT

I am soo excited to see this cringefest.

Also im glad i was right and mario's design is just a more realistic but still toony version of the games. I mean it wasnt some amazing prediction but im sure some fpeople here thought they were not going to do realistic hair on him.

Thats a great looking poster! I dig they changes they made to marios outfit, to make it look more realistic

Imagine the Direct starts with Jack Black in a fine ass suit doing the "directly to you" handmotion.

My notes:

Mario looks like a Brawl render, too much denim/cloth detail
The Toads’ cheeks look a little off to me.
The lighting is a little too hot?

I think they’ve kinda nailed the “Mario Style” other than these small notes.

Oh hey, that's the art I saw a few months ago!

I'n genuinely so scared and excited for this. Lord have mercy
Oh, are you working on this?

I'm guessing no Metroid Prime HD announcement in this lol

Fabric of Mario's clothes never looked better than this btw

I like how the japanese tweet says: "it's early in the morning. but if you don't mind please take a look." They haven't said that even when the last Directs were always early in Japan since like 2018 lol (the last one was different I know).

I gotta see Mario's face before saying anything more, but yeah, it looks a bit too much detailed. Anyway, i like the Toads, and the whole scenario looks awesome. All things considered, it looks really good

I've never been so simultaneously excited yet terrified for something in my entire life....

Very bemused that they had to give the Toads pants so that they didn't look like diaper-wearing-freaks when in detailed 3D.

I like how the japanese tweet says: "it's early in the morning. but if you don't mind please take a look." They haven't said that even when the last Directs were always early in Japan since like 2018 lol (the last one was different I know).
Isn't this an hour or two earlier than normal Directs?

The website is also live

with a synopsis (seems placeholder)

Directed by Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic (collaborators on Teen Titans Go!, Teen Titans Go! To the Movies) from a screenplay by Matthew Fogel (The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, Illuminations’s Minions: The Rise of Gru), the film stars Chris Pratt as Mario, Anya Taylor-Joy as Princess Peach, Charlie Day as Luigi, Jack Black as Bowser, Keegan-Michael Key as Toad, Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong, Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong, Kevin Michael Richardson as Kamek and Sebastian Maniscalco as Spike.
The film is produced by Illumination founder and CEO Chris Meledandri and by Shigeru Miyamoto for Nintendo. The film will be co-financed by Universal Pictures and Nintendo and released worldwide by Universal Pictures.

They say no game information but honestly I don't believe them. It's the perfect place to tease the next 3D Mario.
Yeah, it would be perfect opportunity but they don't joke with these things, a lot of Directs in NX era were always like "no NX information will be presented" just to calm people down and still some people expected it lol

I just want to be as happy and as confident in life as that blue Toad on the left. Look at his face! Life goals.

It would be very much unlike nintendo to rush development on a title to release alongside the movie, especially when MK, Odyssey etc. will sell as evergreens just fine

that said, give me a new 2D Mario

My notes:

Mario looks like a Brawl render, too much denim/cloth detail
The Toads’ cheeks look a little off to me.
The lighting is a little too hot?

I think they’ve kinda nailed the “Mario Style” other than these small notes.

Oh, are you working on this?
Not working on it, but I work in the industry and did get a little peak at it a few months ago. Saw this art and some other smaller ones and got a few details. For those worried about if Mario's face will look weird: don't worry. He just looks like Mario, with maybe a slight hint of that Illumination style making him look just a touch different than the games.

And there was a rumor some time ago that pipes would be central to the plot and there would be songs in the movie. Based on the prominence of pipes in all the art I saw, I'd say it's probably true. I did hear about songs, too, but can't vouch for whether they're like, in-movie musical numbers or just "Ed Sheeran wrote a song for the credits" type stuff. (Ed Sheeran is just a name I'm throwing out as a reference to the Pokemon news. He's not actually involved as far as I'm aware).

I for one appreciate Mario's aerodynamic body type

Hope this does well so we can get a Luigi's Mansion movie
DKm.gif

I can't help myself but that Direct branding with the "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" font looks like bad photoshop to me lol, they could have place it differently

Small little trivia:
Chris Pratt (Mario) and Charlie Day (Luigi) both share the same regular VA in German, both are voiced by Leonhard Mahlich usually. But sadly I expect them to use some famous people to voice them instead of real VAs. So some famous YouTube guys like Sonic which ruined the Sonic movie in German

WOW THAT POSTER!

I love the style. It's a perfect mix of typical Mario and slight realism.

I'm catching so many little references too. Like the shop to Mario's right having the fruits from Sunshine on it's signage! And the floating isle with the cannon from 64! This is a dream come true.

Not working on it, but I work in the industry and did get a little peak at it a few months ago. Saw this art and some other smaller ones and got a few details. For those worried about if Mario's face will look weird: don't worry. He just looks like Mario, with maybe a slight hint of that Illumination style making him look just a touch different than the games.

And there was a rumor some time ago that pipes would be central to the plot and there would be songs in the movie. Based on the prominence of pipes in all the art I saw, I'd say it's probably true. I did hear about songs, too, but can't vouch for whether they're like, in-movie musical numbers or just "Ed Sheeran wrote a song for the credits" type stuff. (Ed Sheeran is just a name I'm throwing out as a reference to the Pokemon news).

Ed Sheeran with the credits, Mario movie, Pokemon OST ... Game of Thrones.

One of those feels different ...

It at least looks very nice.

But I'm still claiming that this upcoming storm on social media will be as close as I'm gonna get to answering a long time question of mine: "What if Twitter was around during the days when the Tom & Jerry '93 movie (aka the one where they TALKED) dropped?"

And there was a rumor some time ago that pipes would be central to the plot and there would be songs in the movie. Based on the prominence of pipes in all the art I saw, I'd say it's probably true. I did hear about songs, too, but can't vouch for whether they're like, in-movie musical numbers or just "Ed Sheeran wrote a song for the credits" type stuff. (Ed Sheeran is just a name I'm throwing out as a reference to the Pokemon news).
Damn, someone broke NDA! Hahaha I appreciate the info, all the same

I’m also working in the anim industry! Are you on feature or TV? I’m working on TV myself.

Small little trivia:
Chris Pratt (Mario) and Charlie Day (Luigi) both share the same regular VA in German, both are voiced by Leonhard Mahlich usually. But sadly I expect them to use some famous people to voice them instead of real VAs. So some famous YouTube guys like Sonic which ruined the Sonic movie in German
Sonic was voiced by a Youtuber in Germany?

Back
Top Bottom