• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Nintendo Direct: The Super Mario Bros. Movie | 10/6 1:05 p.m. PT

Another fun story: during the development of Mario Kart Wii (and since Double Dash!!, actually), they originally proposed having bicycles but Miyamoto rejected this because he doubted the idea of Mario riding a bike. However, he then immediately approved of adding motorcycles instead, because he wanted to "make the world of Mario a little more for boys,".

Shame on Miyamoto for not be up to date with his own creation; Excitebike: Bun Bun Mario Battle was in 1997!
Excitebike_Mario_Stadium_TitleScreen.png

I am not sure who that is
looks it up
Ooooh, Sid from Ice Age. You know what, yeah, a Sid-like voice would fit really well. Yeah I am for it XD
I suggested him specifically because he was Luigi in the 1993 Super Mario Bros. movie and the casting would be a nice tribute to that. Though I know Nintendo wants to bury that movie so it will never happen.

@Joe
yeah, that is fair, haha. I really had no idea. I really should watch the movie. Just for the 'were they on drugs' aspect of it all. I'll watch it before the new movie comes out.

@Bonejack
Seems so, I grew up with the Ice Age movies but I never actually remembered the voice actors' names.

man.. if they had Leguizamo back for any role in this new movie franchise, it would be so cool! Though I doubt Nintendo will want to draw comparisons;

Even if I think they pulled a suspicious similar metallic logo for this movie, when they had no reason to

image.png
super-mario-bros-5f7cf9e0d7924.png

(second version is used for current re-releases)

image.png

It's weird they went for the metallic motif again, but also "Super" isn't stylized on the usua Mario font logo like the games are;

Mario does look really good.
I can't wait to see Peach in movement.
Also VERY curious to see Cranky. Still can't believe Cranky is in this.
I wonder how many other Mario characters will appear. Like, will Yoshi actually appear in the movie? Bowser Jr? Wario and Waluigi? Toadette?
Betcha Luigi will meet a Boom Boom in that lil castle he hides in. He will defeat it and Toad will say the line.

Mario does look really good.
I can't wait to see Peach in movement.
Also VERY curious to see Cranky. Still can't believe Cranky is in this.
I wonder how many other Mario characters will appear. Like, will Yoshi actually appear in the movie? Bowser Jr? Wario and Waluigi? Toadette?
Betcha Luigi will meet a Boom Boom in that lil castle he hides in. He will defeat it and Toad will say the line.
I still maintain that, besides a few select enemies and races like SM64 Penguins, we're getting a very isolated cast of characters up to Super Mario Bros. 1;

Kamek and Cranky being exceptions, but I get why, given the context they're going for.

We may have some of the options you listed as sequel bait for sure; I think Jr. is one of the most popular characters in the series and Bowser will get that dynamic of an uncontrollable brat to bounce of him after this.

I still maintain that, besides a few select enemies and races like SM64 Penguins, we're getting a very isolated cast of characters up to Super Mario Bros. 1;

Kamek and Cranky being exceptions, but I get why, given the context they're going for.

We may have some of the options you listed as sequel bait for sure; I think Jr. is one of the most popular characters in the series and Bowser will get that dynamic of an uncontrollable brat to bounce of him after this.
Yeah. I expect a bunch of the 'obvious ones' to be left out for the first of the movies (there will totally be more). I think SOME more will 'have' to appear to expand the movie cast a bit. Like Toadette with a small role.
But yeah, Bowser Jr, and/or Yoshi, could easily be sequel bait to end the movie on. If the movie does get a sequel, Mario caring for a Baby Yoshi, and Bowser being all dada with Bowser Jr, would create a fun paralelle.
I just wanna see more characters in glorious high-quality CGi dangit

I think a loose adaptation of world might make sense for a sequel. The gang goes to dinosaur island, which would be visually distinct from the mushroom kingdom, and have different inhabitants. You would maybe get to see more yoshi’s and different power ups as well

Yeah the movie right now seems to be a retelling of Mario's origins mainly in the arcade games (Donkey Kong, Mario Bros., Wrecking Crew) and leading into the original Super Mario Bros. Having the main cast be Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Bowser, and Donkey Kong fits that era of the franchise.

Can I just say.... I love this Mario design!
unknown.png
I do too! The embellishments to make him look more like a working class guy (collared work shirt, work gloves) do a great job of making him look more "real" while still letting him look like a cartoon. The game's version will always reign on top, but this was a great translation of the design to what Illumination is going for. I'm curious to see Mario cosplays take influence from this look!

Can I just say.... I love this Mario design!
unknown.png
Despite it getting better with time, I have never been 100% onboard with the three dimensional facial features of the Mario cast in the 3D era, they always felt oddly unexpressive if not facially dead at times. The tweaks Illumination is making to everyone I find look much more pleasant, specially the Peach we could see on that leaked tiny pic. I know it's unlikely but I would not complain if Nintendo took some cues from these designs in the future.

There’s no chance this film remains a one-off. Not just in regards to the eventual sequel and DK spin-off; like a lot of illumination’s films from what I can see this one will also have a short or two attached for the home media release.

Having external media (shorts, tv/streaming series, etc) is pretty common for animated movies these days because with 3D Animation, once you’ve made the characters/sets, you’ve got characters and sets already done. That’s a huge, expensive part of the production already completed and paid for. There’s still quite a bit of work to do, but having that much of a production already done means it’s significantly easier to pump out some external media after the fact.

Having external media (shorts, tv/streaming series, etc) is pretty common for animated movies these days because with 3D Animation, once you’ve made the characters/sets, you’ve got characters and sets already done. That’s a huge, expensive part of the production already completed and paid for. There’s still quite a bit of work to do, but having that much of a production already done means it’s significantly easier to pump out some external media after the fact.
I bet planning for external media from the beginning is part of what helps justify the budgets the initial film requires. Saying "yeah we're gonna do all this work but we have plans to monetize and reuse it" probably softens the blow, if I were guessing.

Despite it getting better with time, I have never been 100% onboard with the three dimensional facial features of the Mario cast in the 3D era, they always felt oddly unexpressive if not facially dead at times. The tweaks Illumination is making to everyone I find look much more pleasant, specially the Peach we could see on that leaked tiny pic. I know it's unlikely but I would not complain if Nintendo took some cues from these designs in the future.
I went through this with the Sonic movie, actually. I was so impressed with Tyson Hesse's redesign (and the in-game models were getting ridiculous with hands that are each bigger than his torso and stuff like that) that I actually hoped Sega would take cues from the film version and reel the game design in a little bit.
Then they just plopped the movie version into one of the mobile games and modders put movie Sonic into Generations and stuff and.. I shut up. 😅

Seeing Charles Martinet trend on Twitter every single day since the trailer dropped has honestly been really heartwarming. I obviously don't think Pratt is going to do the best job but goddamn it really should've gone to Martinet.

I want Patrick Stewart as E. Gadd. Mark Hamill as King Boo.
Holy FUCK Mark Hamill as King Boo is wonderful.

Seeing Charles Martinet trend on Twitter every single day since the trailer dropped has honestly been really heartwarming. I obviously don't think Pratt is going to do the best job but goddamn it really should've gone to Martinet.

Holy FUCK Mark Hamill as King Boo is wonderful.
Even if Martinet couldn't get the role (I mean, he is still in the movie and I hope they use him well), I hope he knows how much his role as Mario has been loved and appreciated for all these years. The voice of my childhood, no exaggeration.

Even if Martinet couldn't get the role (I mean, he is still in the movie and I hope they use him well), I hope he knows how much his role as Mario has been loved and appreciated for all these years. The voice of my childhood, no exaggeration.
Yeah, I feel you. He's mine too.

I was trying to think of a cartoon voice outside of Disney more recognizable, and I'm not sure there is one. He defined that character for generations.

Does anyone have that leaked picture? I can't find it anywhere.

Martinet's Mario is one of the most iconic character voices ever up there with the likes of Mickey Mouse or SpongeBob.

Maybe it wouldn't have worked for an hour+ movie, but honestly I think Martinet is a talented enough industry voice actor with a lot of range that he could've done a new style of voice for Mario to fit a movie. I don't think anyone would've thought his Wario could be done with fully voiced animated cutscenes and yet he nailed it in WarioWare Gold without it being grating.

I went through this with the Sonic movie, actually. I was so impressed with Tyson Hesse's redesign (and the in-game models were getting ridiculous with hands that are each bigger than his torso and stuff like that) that I actually hoped Sega would take cues from the film version and reel the game design in a little bit.
Then they just plopped the movie version into one of the mobile games and modders put movie Sonic into Generations and stuff and.. I shut up. 😅
I do find his Movie design more pleasant, yes. Was never a fan of the eternal shit-eating smugness his SonicAdventure redesign dripped with, but the movie look feels like it manages to look cool and smarmy without making me want to strangle him screaming at him that he is not better than me.

To me the problem was that as a kid I owned alot of Mario merch that had his traditional 2d look for him and the other characters drawn on it, and I found those drawings endlessly charming, and never really got the same sense of expression and warmth from their 3D counterparts. It got better recently yeah, Mario Strikers Battle League did the whole cast great justice, but I still find myself preferring the ideas Illumination's artists brought to the table, their Mario reall has the aura of the original 2D Mario artwork to me.
Does anyone have that leaked picture? I can't find it anywhere.

Definitely a frying pan, the photo of the toyline's first assortment that leaked days ago had action figures with acessories and Toad came with a frying pan identical to the one in that art.

I wonder if that leaked pic indicates we'll get more news pretty soon. Since Peach was nowhere in the trailer but is alongside Mario and Todd there.
Someone please leak DK, I need to know what he looks like

That leaked picture was specifically an upcoming advert for a 2023 calendar that Australian McDonalds was gonna distribute in November, so we might be getting something more next month or December in the latest.

The leaked designs look great, and I think they serve their job perfectly.

In the Mario games, the characters don't need to be all that expressive. Enough to show their general personalities - the adventurous, cheerful, ready for anything Mario, the more timid Luigi who still buckles down to do the job, the prim and proper Peach, the tough and villainous Bowser - but since they aren't focused on the storytelling, that isn't their focus. You can see other games which place more emphasis on expressive animations with Next Level Games, and I totally understand wanting that to be the norm, but for the most part, the animations are focused on gameplay with some moments for brief story moments.

In an animated movie, though, characters need to be more expressive and convey emotion. The designs in the movie do that job, while also fitting in Illumination's "cartoon realism" hybrid look. It's more than just the expressions. For example, Mario needs bigger hands in the games to clearly show him hitting blocks, to have that strong pose for that game action. But the movie doesn't need that, and decides, hey, let's shrink Mario's hands down, make him more proportional. Still a cartoon, but could work better with the other humanoid characters - Peach and Mario holding hands, for instance. It's a smart adaptation that takes into account the needs of the medium.

Definitely a frying pan, the photo of the toyline's first assortment that leaked days ago had action figures with acessories and Toad came with a frying pan identical to the one in that art.
fully thought that was a magnifying glass in the original leak lmao

Seen a lot of live reactions
A bunch of they get so negative at the Penguin-Snowball gag. Like, "This is such a Kids' movie gag" or "Typical Illumination humor" and such, and I don't really get it.
I thought it was a fun gag, both visually and surprisingly. The added jokes about how the Penguin King actually thinks it was a show of force, plus his smirk when they attacked, gives another layer on the joke.
Like, what kind of joke would be 'not' a 'bad kid's joke' then?

A bunch of they get so negative at the Penguin-Snowball gag. Like, "This is such a Kids' movie gag" or "Typical Illumination humor" and such, and I don't really get it.
I thought it was a fun gag, both visually and surprisingly. The added jokes about how the Penguin King actually thinks it was a show of force, plus his smirk when they attacked, gives another layer on the joke.
definitely agreed

it also tells you a lot about the new power dynamic. it communicates that this is a silly goofy world with silly wacky military conflict that has been disrupted by a genuine display of force. I think it does a lot to establish the conflict, tone, and what bowser represents

definitely agreed

it also tells you a lot about the new power dynamic. it communicates that this is a silly goofy world with silly wacky military conflict that has been disrupted by a genuine display of force. I think it does a lot to establish the conflict, tone, and what bowser represents
Glad you agree<3
Which just adds another part of the joke, being how, like, intense the Penguins are at this war. War cries even. I imagine we'll see Bowser take over various kingdoms like this, before arriving at the Mushroom Kingdom.
But yeah
I thought it was a funny joke that really fits the vibes so far.

The only thing that I didn't like about that scene was the fact that it didn't cut from the close up of them throwing to the wide shot of Bowser not caring, they instead did a really quick rotation and zoom-out. Barely perceptible, only takes a few frames, but that's one of those things that immediately tells my brain "modern CGI kids movie" for some reason. When they do impossible camera movements like that it sorta irks my brain, like they're trying too hard to show off how CGI it is or something, and strikes me as kinda cheap.

This is a remarkably miniscule nitpick, I'm aware. But I saw it the very first time I watched the trailer and I can't unsee it with each subsequent time.

Everything else about the scene is fantastic, including the gag.

The only thing that I didn't like about that gag was the fact that it didn't cut from the close up of them throwing to the wide shot of Bowser not caring, they instead did a really quick rotation and zoom-out. Barely perceptible, only takes a few frames, but that's one of those things that immediately tells my brain "modern CGI kids movie" for some reason. When they do impossible camera movements like that it sorta irks my brain, like they're trying too hard to show off how CGI it is or something, and strikes me as kinda cheap.

This is a remarkably miniscule nitpick, I'm aware. But I saw it the very first time I watched the trailer and I can't unsee it with each subsequent time.

Everything else about the scene is fantastic, including the gag.
Yeah, that is t otally fair. It did not bother me, but I understand it might be a bit of a annoyance to some. Luckily, trailers are often cutting a bit to make stuff flow faster, so it could just be them showing the scene faster than it will actually be.
But yeah, we'll see XD

Back
Top Bottom