• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

At least, it wouldn't be the "big" gimmick of the system. More an "additional" one.

I feel like the "big" gimmick should (and imo has to) work in every mode that the console will offer (assuming portable, tabletop and docked again).

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Not necessarily. I would hate a camera (we have smartphones, stop trying to make consoles do as many things as possible and just focus on videogames) but they could put one in the front. It would peek from the dock when the console is docked and could be used in both modes, it would just require you to put the dock in front of the tv/under it (not a big requirement at all).

Not necessarily. I would hate a camera (we have smartphones, stop trying to make consoles do as many things as possible and just focus on videogames) but they could put one in the front. It would peek from the dock when the console is docked and could be used in both modes, it would just require you to put the dock in front of the tv/under it (not a big requirement at all).
No way Nintendo would put a camera on a new Switch just to take pictures

Don't they have to keep atleast one camera on the right joy con to atleast keep backward compatibility with Switch games.

Nintendo just published a patent for a video streaming service on their hardware (most likely Switch 2)
Invented by Shigeru Miyamoto

No.

Nintendo has the ability to request a patent application not be published until the product is officially revealed. This is what they have done 100% of the time with any patents/applications related to new hardware.

If a patent application of theirs is made public, you can be absolutely sure it will not be related to new, unreleased hardware.

I think we regulars should be a bit more mean to the lurkers who post to see the hidden content.

Like ... introduce yourself, explain what you bring to the discussion.

What do the other regulars think?

;D

I think we regulars should be a bit more mean to the lurkers who post to see the hidden content.

Like ... introduce yourself, explain what you bring to the discussion.

What do the other regulars think?

;D
I don't think introductions are necessary, just participation should be fine; I only used participation hides because I didn't know fwd used a registration hide instead. I do think "posting to see hidden content" posts should be threadban-worthy, though

An AR rear camera may mean a number of intended solely-handheld experiences for certain titles (Pokémon without a doubt would be the biggest franchise to avail of this) and other creative apps and programmes, could see them coming out with some goofy photography, treasure hunting, monster spotting or creative scenes systems, maybe even a return of the Miiverse in some capacity with AR allowing for interaction between users? In the absence of a front camera there's maybe a peripheral to set on top of the TV not unlike the Kinect and with that who knows where the possibilities end, not entirely sure what practicality AR could have on that end though

Although if you're supposed to be taking your S2 out and playing on-the-go, presumably Nintendo Online would then come with a data plan?

Now here's a mad thought - this thing could instead be coming with a built-in projector alongside the camera

So it's more i heard stuff from a guy i know?
I haven't followed the rumor scene that closely for those games recently. Someone else in the Direct thread may be able to offer a better read on the state of rumors for those games. I just don't remember ever feeling like the rumors were credible and substantial enough for me personally. I could see them happening, but that has nothing to do with rumors.

Also, just in case there was some confusion earlier: I am a nobody who knows nothing and no one. I think I was accidentally quoted earlier when someone asked for my opinion on the games.

Last edited:
I wonder might they sound off with a "Join us again for a special event this [October]"? I can't remember how they got the 2016 'First look' message out there
join us in Nintendo Direct focused in console X(reveal Switch sucessor codename), for rought 40/50 minutes in day X at hour X,about Nintendo future.

An AR rear camera may mean a number of intended solely-handheld experiences for certain titles (Pokémon without a doubt would be the biggest franchise to avail of this) and other creative apps and programmes, could see them coming out with some goofy photography, treasure hunting, monster spotting or creative scenes systems, maybe even a return of the Miiverse in some capacity with AR allowing for interaction between users? In the absence of a front camera there's maybe a peripheral to set on top of the TV not unlike the Kinect and with that who knows where the possibilities end, not entirely sure what practicality AR could have on that end though

Although if you're supposed to be taking your S2 out and playing on-the-go, presumably Nintendo Online would then come with a data plan?

Now here's a mad thought - this thing could instead be coming with a built-in projector alongside the camera
i can imagine a new Nintendog making a heavy focus on this new camera tech.

2023 or 2024 reveal though
a 2024 seen more likely to happen, for Switch sucessor reveal, Nintendo surely dont want to reveal it next console now, and risk heavily impacting Switch holiday sales, Switch reveal was in a completely different situation, due to Wii U flopping, anouncing Switch on Wii U final year, would not impact Nintendo severaly

No way Nintendo would put a camera on a new Switch just to take pictures
The cameras in the ds and 3ds didn't add much to videogames. The 3d camera was a silly novelty that wore off pretty quickly, even quicker than the console's whole silly gimmick of 3d.

The big problem with cameras is also that they would be terrible compared to the one in your pocket. Even if they picked a decent one today, it would look terrible by mid generation. AR hasn't even found particular success in smartphones outside of Pokemon GO (and even then, the big draw of the game was "catch pokemon on your smartphone with friends, which could have been achieved using gps without ar").

AR and VR constantly get depicted as the next big thing, but while VR makes sense but is still severely limited by today's tech, I never understood AR fans.

The only reason I can see for the camera in the console is a better kinect for Just Dance and party games. Maybe a mode in Mario Kart where you mime driving a wheel and that's it, it's a feature that requires a lot more space than traditional gaming and is very shallow, like most gimmicks. On this very note, I own two psvita and I still don't understand what the point of the rear touch screen was.

As for Smash Brothers (as well as for Mario Kart 8) I fully expect 4K Ultimate Deluxe versions with all DLC for the launch of Switch 2.
Edit: sorry, doesn't really belong in the hardware thread :/

Last edited:
With AR, you'll get a terrible camera and a few mini games that will be fun 10 minutes before you never touch them again.
This is my concern. Granted camera tech is much better now, but a Switch camera will be a mass produced low end phone camera which will be compared unfavorably and will age poorly If the device is to last 6 plus years

I much prefer the AR camera be packed in with a software sold separately

Switch is a gaming device first and foremost and AR.games are at best gimmicks and curiosities or done much better on phones where people can upgrade every few years

This is my concern. Granted camera tech is much better now, but a Switch camera will be a mass produced low end phone camera which will be compared unfavorably and will age poorly If the device is to last 6 plus years
if you're trying to take vacation photos, it won't even compare now. a lot of camera quality is software that Drake wouldn't have because it's a gaming device first. but for more game-related stuff, it'll be more than adequate

Don't they have to keep atleast one camera on the right joy con to atleast keep backward compatibility with Switch games.
No. It just need to be compatible with current Joy-cons through Bluetooth.

The Wii and Wii U, for example, required previous gen controllers to play any game through BC.

In comparison, there's thousands of games which should be playable if they keep the standard inputs, so there wouldn't be much of a problem if they removed, changed or repositioned the camera.

No.

Nintendo has the ability to request a patent application not be published until the product is officially revealed. This is what they have done 100% of the time with any patents/applications related to new hardware.

If a patent application of theirs is made public, you can be absolutely sure it will not be related to new, unreleased hardware.
Labo's patent, Pokémon Go Plus+, and elements of the Joy-Con all had theirs released to the public before reveal.

Did anyone think it would be for anything else?
I thought I saw some speculation in this thread that Nintendo might be showing off Drake at a closed-door event when all the "we're visiting Nintendo NYC!!" tweets started hitting. Was just trying to tie a bow on that.

It just need to be compatible with current Joy-cons through Bluetooth.
Well, that and be able to charge them. Not much point in "compatible" controllers it can only use for one charge cycle.

I would generally expect Joy-Con rail to remain compatible (even if it changes in other ways).

The logical place to add a camera would be the controllers and not the console body. Anything on the console itself would be unusable in docked mode.

The logical place to add a camera would be the controllers and not the console body. Anything on the console itself would be unusable in docked mode.

What if the dock as we know it is gone ?

Also regarding the camera if true I think it will be for minimal in-game use/album photo gallery and fun activities outside gaming

I would generally expect Joy-Con rail to remain compatible (even if it changes in other ways).
I think so too, but...
Well, that and be able to charge them. Not much point in "compatible" controllers it can only use for one charge cycle.
There is an official charging grip, officially licensed chargers and non-licensed ones and keeping your old console at home. If by chance they decide to change the connection, it won't be this which will stop them.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom