• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

could Best Buy be preparing for Switch sucessor launch?

We've already discussed this, but here's the important bit:

Best Buy has announced a buy two get one free deal for all Nintendo Switch games (with their Best Buy Membership). This is pretty normal... At the end of a console's lifespan.

Some (read: me) speculate they are doing this not to push memberships, as that could be done with all current consoles, but to move stock to prepare for a new generation.

We're really on the rails now, everyone.

Beat me to it, lol. Doctre came to the same conclusion.

came here to post this. There could be other reasons, like BB figuring out physical collectors are vapid especially on switch and microtargeting that segment but it doesn't explain why it's for Switch only. Nintendo probably isn't involved with comarketing, as they're not the type to want to lose money on their software, it's more likely a BB initiative internally and wanting to take a hit on their margins to grow subs to their new loyalty plan. Could be as simple as that. but the single platform selection is still puzzling.

His rationale is sound,, but not the smoking gun yet.

I think if they want to do it for increase memberships, they will do it with all platforms.

But as you say, only switch seems suspicious

Will it support HDMI 2.1? Probably. T239 uses DisplayPort, the dock then converts that to HDMI. They'll use whatever chips are cheap to get at the time, and that is probably a 2.1 chip, as the spec is nearly 2 years old.

Will the OS support letting the game know it's on a 120Hz display? Maybe? Will any games take advantage of it? No idea.

There is a limit to using DisplayPort, in how much data can be moved. Nvidia has publicly posted their code for supporting displayport on T239, so we know the limits. It's not my area of expertise but I believe 4K at ?60FPS isn't possible. And since I know of know 1080p 120Hz screens, it would require gamers on supported devices to say if they wanted higher res or higher frame rates. "performance" vs "quality" mode is something Nintendo has so far avoided.

So while it's in the realm of possibility, it remains to be seen whether or not it happens
hang on 4k @ 60fps isn't possible? did i read this right?

Please refrain from calling someone’s line of thinking delusional. We are trying to move away from using mental-health-based terms as insulting language on Fami. - PixelKnight, Xghost777, MondoMega
Fixed it for you
I know you really believe in your 2023 theory, but don’t hope too much or you’ll likely be disappointed. Only way the Switch 2 is releasing in four months and we don’t have any leak is if the form factor is exactly the same as the current model. If the form factor is different, we would probably have already heard of it through Chinese leakers or accessory makers. That’s why, for instance, the Lite leaked three months before its announcement. I would gladly eat my hat, mind you, as I’d love to have an excuse to buy me a more powerful Switch at Christmas, but at this point it’s unrealistic.

Edit: removed a term that I didn't knew was related to mental health, sorry about that.

Last edited:
If Best Buy were dumping stock for a console launch, it wouldn't be high margin, evergreen games, that cost little to store, and will retain most of their value if a back compat system launches - they'd be dumping lower margin, difficult to store consoles, whose base value will plummet when a new console launches.

Not sure why Best Buy is singling out Switch games, but if I had to guess, it's that Best Buy offers "a variety of deals" with this new subscription, rather than committing to a long term discount strategy. The launch deal needs to be pretty good, but it also needs to be narrow enough that it could be replaced without feeling like a downgrade - like buy 2 get 1 free on MS games later. Best Buy can manage the costs of these promotions by either focusing on stock it needs to dump (as Doctre suggests) or by partnering with third party.

Right now, in the long gap between Zelda and Pikmin, with a second large gap between Pikmin and Detective Pikachu coming up, with evergreens selling worse than ever (as more and more Switch buyers are upgrades/replacements, rather than new sales),and with Nintendo committing to selling 15 million consoles this year - well, if Nintendo would be open to some kind of partnership like this, now would be the time.

hdmi-vs-displayport-chart.jpg

[HDMI and DP table]
Here's a chart from HDMI Forum for more context. Basically, if Nintendo uses HDMI 2.1 (converted from DisplayPort 1.4), there should be an asterisk for 4K 120 Hz and higher.
Since the Switch (and possibly Switch NG) utilizes DisplayPort Alt Mode, the console’s supported DP version is the limiting factor. The HDMI version only matters if Nintendo somehow cheaps out and uses a bad DP-to-HDMI converter that downgrades the video. The USB version doesn’t affect the video either; the DP version is what matters.

we finally have the big 3 shipment numbers. So we can compare the fall off of Wii versus the sustained power of Switch
Nintendo shipment data we've got a lot of for at least this century. Sony, fairly decent though they've modified reporting methods and sometimes just stop publicly giving numbers at inconvenient times--like, before hardware is actually discontinued. MS is the one who's been tight-lipped for at least half their time in this business.

I haven't had the chance to watch it yet, since I was at a party, but thoughts?

Playing devil's advocate, there's the outside chance there's an unannounced console from a new entrant, but given it's Japan, and they went out of their way to list consoles including the Switch, PC, PS4/PS5 but not Xbox it does look like a new Nintendo console has a higher probability of being the new console than something from a new entrant.

Doctre's linkedin sleuthing always makes the best videos as it often comes down to common sense, simple deduction and doesn't rely on vague interview comments or journalists hinting at stuff on twitter.

Since the Switch (and possibly Switch NG) utilizes DisplayPort Alt Mode, the console’s supported DP version is the limiting factor. The HDMI version only matters if Nintendo somehow cheaps out and uses a bad DP-to-HDMI converter that downgrades the video. The USB version doesn’t affect the video either; the DP version is what matters.
The leak has Drake with the same DP controller as Orin, so 1.4.

But my understanding is that the total resolution*frame rate*color depth wasn’t just a protocol issue, but a bandwidth issue? The link rates were posted in the linux source, but I don't know enough off hand to see if it matches up to 4k@120

More reddit fun. Who is Connor...?

HNPIZsy.png
Why are we posting screenshots of bad reddit takes? I mean, it's fun to sort of laugh at them, but unless there is something new here to dig on...

Where are these things getting posted?

So DLSS is in the cards for Switch 2, but if games that get ported over didn't have support for it to begin with, does that mean those will unlikely get that kind of support? Or, is there a possibility that devs won't have to actually implement it in themselves for Switch 2?

So DLSS is in the cards for Switch 2, but if games that get ported over didn't have support for it to begin with, does that mean those will unlikely get that kind of support? Or, is there a possibility that devs won't have to actually implement it in themselves for Switch 2?
Adding dlss would probably be the first thing added since it's the fastest method of adding performance for minimal IQ loss. If it wasn't already supported in their tools, they'll have to implement it, but it's not a big issue for any competent developer

I'm sure that's a possibility, and a thing that may happen due to engine issues or whatever, but if you're going down the path of developing a bespoke Switch port, you're already doing a not insignificant amount of work to make that happen to begin with, so it would be pretty strange to skip implementing DLSS. In part because it would functionally allow you to spend less time on optimizing the port for performance vs implementing DLSS.

The leak has Drake with the same DP controller as Orin, so 1.4.

But my understanding is that the total resolution*frame rate*color depth wasn’t just a protocol issue, but a bandwidth issue? The link rates were posted in the linux source, but I don’t know enough off hand to see if it matches up to 4k@120
Are you referring to the following code?
Code:
struct cmd_uphy_display_port_init_request {
    /** @brief DisplayPort link rate, T239 valid: 1620, 2700, 5400, 8100, 2160, 2430, 3240, 4320, 6750 */
    uint16_t link_rate;
    /** @brief 1: lane 0; 2: lane 1; 3: lane 0 and 1 */
    uint16_t lanes_bitmap;
} BPMP_ABI_PACKED;
From the link rates alone we can tell that it’s either DisplayPort 1.3 or 1.4. I don’t have access to the leak but like you said Orin supports DP 1.4. The code shows that T239 supports either one lane pair or two lane pairs. Since the Switch firmware contains the β€œ4kdp_preferred_over_usb30” configuration, I’d guess that Nintendo intends to use two lane pairs to get the full bandwidth for video.

When two lane pairs are used, DP 1.4 is capable of 4K@120Hz w/o HDR, or 4K@60Hz w/ HDR. If Display Stream Compression (DSC; a β€œvisually lossless” algorithm) is used, it can support 4K@120Hz w/ HDR, or 8K@60Hz w/ HDR.

Another funny thing is none of the Nintendo sponsored TOTK Youtubers made a vid about the Switch 2 PS4 Spec (or recent leaks)

I've noticed that they are not commenting on Switch 2 rumors ( doesn't make sense since they all using crazy faces thumbnails and titles for hot topics views so why would they avoid talking about a hot topic like Switch 2 ? unless they signed an NDA from Big N ?) not to forget they visited Europe HQ to test TOTK early ..

Last edited:
Another funny thing is none of the Nintendo sponsored TOTK Youtubers made a vid about the Switch 2 PS4 Spec (or recent leaks)

I've noticed that they are not commenting on Switch 2 rumors ( doesn't make sense since they all using crazy faces thumbnails and titles for hot topics views so why would they avoid talking about a hot topic like Switch 2 ? unless they signed an NDA from Big N ?) not to forget they visited Europe HQ to test TOTK early ..
Because they are sponsored by Nintendo and don't want to piss off their sponsor maybe?

what’s wrong about anything said here?
Tegra chips do not come out at the same rate as their geforce counterparts nor are they 100% feature identical even if they are based off the same architecture, the majority of the orin line up came out this year and all evidence says T239 was most likely taped out in H2 2022 or thereabouts, to claim its "oudated" in any way shape or form or not "the latest" in terms of tegra chips is incredibly misinformed

Tegra chips do not come out at the same rate as their geforce counterparts nor are they 100% feature identical even if they are based off the same architecture, the majority of the orin line up came out this year and all evidence says T239 was most likely taped out in H2 2022 or thereabouts, to claim its "oudated" in any way shape or form or not "the latest" in terms of tegra chips is incredibly misinformed
thanks for explaining

FWIW to add to the "If I buy something now, they'll definitely announce tomorrow" pile, I recently gave up on putting up with my launch Joy-Cons' drift until the next system and got some replacements.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom