• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Interesting I haven't used a normal switch just the lite and it's very lightweight and balanced but the ergonomics are terrible

On the switch I can't play in handheld for more than 1 hour using the joy-cons (and its flat design, and those small buttons so close together). I had to buy a 3rd party "joy-con" that's much bigger, with full size buttons/sticks and much better ergonomics.

The funny thing is that it'll weight the same as the steam deck (and will become as large as it too lol), but for me it feels lighter than the switch with joy-cons, and I can play until the battery dies without my hands cramping in pain.

Nintendo is in a real great position here that the Nintendo Switch has constantly been popular throughout its entire life span, instead of waiting for it to completely peter off like with the Wii, they need to release this new system more sooner than much later to strike while the iron is still pretty hot.

The main things they need to do for a successful launch(In my opinion) is release this new hardware between 2023-2024, complete backwards compatibility with physical and digital software, improve their online infrastructure and allow messaging between friends, more streaming apps(Netflix, Disney +), and of course a steady stream of games like in the first year of the Switch except this time third parties will be on board from the jump to help fill the schedule out even more while doing some crossgen games for up to 2 years.

Finally it seems to have been confirmed that what Bobby Kotick said was false and that that was not exactly what he said, right?
At least that's what I've been reading lately.

Finally it seems to have been confirmed that what Bobby Kotick said was false and that that was not exactly what he said, right?
At least that's what I've been reading lately.
It is not false. Bobby did say it, but people are mixing it up with a previous question.

He doesn't know the exact specs at the time of trial, but he knows approximates due to emails with Nintendo. And knowing these approximates, from Activision they assume that they can launch their games

Best Buy has announced a buy two get one free deal for all Nintendo Switch games (with their Best Buy Membership). This is pretty normal... At the end of a console's lifespan.

Some (read: me) speculate they are doing this not to push memberships, as that could be done with all current consoles, but to move stock to prepare for a new generation.

We're really on the rails now, everyone.
I think if they want to do it for increase memberships, they will do it with all platforms.

But as you say, only switch seems suspicious

It is not false. Bobby did say it, but people are mixing it up with a previous question.

He doesn't know the exact specs at the time of trial, but he knows approximates due to emails with Nintendo. And knowing these approximates, from Activision they assume that they can launch their games

I saw it here.

But where are Kotick's statements? I can't find them anywhere officially.
And in case it's real, I expected something more between PS4 and Xbox Series S, maybe something similar to PS4 Pro.
So we won't have anything close to PS4 Pro but portable right?

I saw it here.

But where are Kotick's statements? I can't find them anywhere officially.
And in case it's real, I expected something more between PS4 and Xbox Series S, maybe something similar to PS4 Pro.
So we won't have anything close to PS4 Pro but portable right?

That does not indicate anything, they have simply withdrawn it because there is confusion because people are mixing statements.

If you want the statements, they have been passed through this thread, the point is that what he said is not false.

Did someone say Scrollwheel Shoulderbuttons two pages back? I have been summoned!

---

PS4 performance on top of a more modern architecture, a better CPU (i mean, we all didnt forget the CPU was bad in the PS4) and tools like DLSS is totally fine and will deliver some really good stuff, not only graphically.

PS4 power in handheld is all I need. That's roughly the same ballpark as the Steam Deck and no one bats an eye about that even with the ROG Ally. Nintendo already basically clowns on every other developer except Capcom with Switch hardware. Next gen Nintendo would be unimaginable.

Switch without a grip is mighty uncomfortable for me, so I wouldn't mind some chunkier controllers on Switch 2.

Graphically, PS4 games look stellar. It's the HDD and CPU that dragged that generation down. If Switch 2 is "PS4 but more modern", with a more balanced CPU and storage situation and DLSS, that'd be super nice indeed.

also seeing twitter blow up over this is kinda hilarious, because Switch 2 specs have been leaked a long time ago already. the question is not what, but when

Anyways, if this fall is Mario Wonder time, and the coming spring is Switch 2 time, that'd be some great planning on their part.

But you don't think Redacted (or whatever it's called "Next Switch") could perform like PS4 Pro?
(Before adding improvements of a more modern architecture, better CPU, DLSS, and other more modern features that would make it even better).

PS4 performance adding all these current improvements would be amazing to me, but I think it would be a wasted opportunity if you don't try to at least get to PS4 Pro performance. (Similar to what happened with NX/Switch which was about to have much lower performance and a 480p screen that would work through Stream View on television and luckily Switch did not end up being that).

But you don't think Redacted (or whatever it's called "Next Switch") could perform like PS4 Pro?
(Before adding improvements of a more modern architecture, better CPU, DLSS, and other more modern features that would make it even better).

Things better than a PS4 Pro:

CPU-Perfomance
Storage-Speed
Raytracing
Tensor Cores for AI-Features
Decompression Engine
Texture Compression to reduce the needed memory capacity and bandwidth
Hardware-Decoding for more modern video compression

Things that could be better than PS4 Pro:

Memory Capacity

Things that could be worse than PS4 Pro:

Raw GPU Power in docked mode

Things that will be worse than PS4 Pro:

Memory Bandwidth
Raw GPU Power in portable mode

I hope this answers your question, but in my opinion the modern features do a lot of heavy lifting on their own. DLSS can give a lot of additional performance, but all other modern features will make ports of games build with Gen9-Engines far easier, therefore cheaper and more likely to happen at all.

Xbox Series S is the best example what can be achieved with 4 Teraflops and 10GB of memory, but it does have the modern feature-set and the strong CPU of Gen9. From a teraflop-perspective it has the same raw graphics power of a PS4 Pro with 2GB additional memory, but it runs current-gen-games. Developers criticize the Xbox Series S for the smaller memory capacity in comparison to the Series X, but that is all and if Microsoft would have soldered on a little more memory nobody would talk about it.

Nintendo could go for 12GB of memory in Switch Two, keep the memory footprint of their OS small like they did with the original Switch and have 10+ GB for developers left. The available memory for developers would sit right between Series S (8GB) and Series X(13GB). I would really like to have 16GB of memory in SwitchTwo, but most likely this will not happen.

Last edited:
Best Buy has announced a buy two get one free deal for all Nintendo Switch games (with their Best Buy Membership). This is pretty normal... At the end of a console's lifespan.

Some (read: me) speculate they are doing this not to push memberships, as that could be done with all current consoles, but to move stock to prepare for a new generation.

We're really on the rails now, everyone.
It's definitely an interesting choice. But why would they need to clear software stock exactly? I imagine the biggest hurdle space-wise is physical hardware, not software shelf space, so moving HW would be more important from that perspective I think. And old Switch software can (hopefully) continue to sell on the new system.

Singer’s testimony is a pre-recorded video apparently so not sure we’ll get that much :/ Will be interesting to see Nintendo’s thoughts on the deal with Microsoft though.

I expect a lot of his statements will be exaggerated on Twitter though if there’s even a trace of NG Switch mentioned.

How does Pikmin 4 look and play so well? Nintendo really did hire that man for this game.

Their next-gen games will be a sight to behold

This is what excites me more than any potential PS4 / X1 port. Nintendo first party games using new more powerful hardware is going to be incredible. Imagine what a Zelda game pushing the next switch to its limit looks like when we’ve just had TOTK do that for Switch. Gonna be crazy!

This is what excites me more than any potential PS4 / X1 port. Nintendo first party games using new more powerful hardware is going to be incredible. Imagine what a Zelda game pushing the next switch to its limit looks like when we’ve just had TOTK do that for Switch. Gonna be crazy!
The next roadblock nintendo will hit is asset creation. They have the pipeline perfect for where they are, but for higher fidelity levels it seems they will have to overcome some conceptions.

Should we be worried that Activision seemingly still doesn’t have any devkits at this point in time?

No, some other developers had the final ones already, they probably aren’t in Nintendo plans till the Microsoft situation clears

Best Buy with the clearance sale is super fishy though, maybe Nintendo started to communicate with top tier retailers about future plans

Amazing looking games like Last of Us 2, GOW Ragnarok, Horizon 1 & 2 were made on PS4 architecture. Can’t imagine what Nintendo could do with that level + modern architecture.

There’s the possibility the CEO doesn’t know anything. It sounds outlandish, but it’s possible.
Did he even actually deny that they had devkits? Or was his denial just that he didn't know the specs?

If Activision has devkits it's highly likely that nobody outside a very small group of senior devs (not execs) would know the details about it.

Did he even actually deny that they had devkits? Or was his denial just that he didn't know the specs?

If Activision has devkits it's highly likely that nobody outside a very small group of senior devs (not execs) would know the details about it.
If the CEO is interested in a detailed spec breakdown, nobody is going to stop them from aquiring it. Bobby Kotick might not care enough, though.

Looking at the new redacted documents of cost of making AAA games I think Nintendo have made the right decision to not chase power. I can see Switch 2 being the last generational jump (PS4 level power). Then Switch 3 and 4 will just be cross gen, generations with continuation of support for Switch 2 going forward.

There was no denial. No positive or negative statement. Just an assumption that, since Switch was close to PS3, then the successor is presumed to be closer to PS4

If the CEO is interested in a detailed spec breakdown, nobody is going to stop them from aquiring it. Bobby Kotick might not care enough, though.
Yeah I'm not saying he couldn't find out, just that he probably didn't bother to do so.
There was no denial. No positive or negative statement. Just an assumption that, since Switch was close to PS3, then the successor is presumed to be closer to PS4
No there was a denial that he knew the detailed specifications in response to another question. I was wondering if there was also a denial that they had devkits.

Yeah I'm not saying he couldn't find out, just that he probably didn't bother to do so.

No there was a denial that he knew the detailed specifications in response to another question. I was wondering if there was also a denial that they had devkits.
Oh, I must have missed that! 😅 My baad

But to my understanding, no devkit question was made

I will admit that 2023 is feeling less and less likely, but not because of Mario Wonder. Quite the opposite actually. If the consensus is that Redacted will have a year or two of cross gen support, Mario Wonder fits in perfectly as a cross gen title. Nintendo is not going to release a wildly ambitious 3D Mario game for Redacted that would be severely compromised on Switch. The games that would remain cross gen are the ones that really target Switch first and foremost and then get upgraded for Redacted. The Princess Peach game and Luigis Mansion Dark Moon fit well within the abilities of the Nintendo Switch and therefore work well as cross gen titles. So if you are looking at these games as proof that there is no new hardware coming, then you are basically saying you do not expect Nintendo to have a cross gen period. Or at the very least no cross gen titles would get revealed until after Redacted is revealed?

That is correct. For new big titles I don't think we would get those revealed on Switch 1 first if they are cross gen. They would be marketed with Switch 2 first. Mario Wonder is one of those games I think they would have preferred to market with Switch 2 if it was cross gen. As for basic ports and smaller games like Luigi's Mansion I agree with you announcing those games with Switch 1 while Switch 2 is on the horizon it makes sense to announce before Switch 2 reveal even if those games come after Switch 2 as these are less significant games. An example is 3DS getting ports like Luigis Mansion 1, Kirby Epic Yarn etc after Switch was revealed.

New Model is a name Nintendo would go with. It’s a simple mass market, everybody understands it name. Well the Nintendo of today would go go it anyway.
Edit: Nintendo won’t use numbers. The other guys do that.
You have still to keep in mind that today's Nintendo =/ Nintendo before Switch.
Many people changed. Do u remember when Nintendo said "no DLCs" and now we get them announced before the relese of the games?

Todays Nintendo:

1fb.gif

I think people give the switch too little credit. For such a small tablet i think it has some amazing looking games, MPR being my favorite.

The idea that the next console will be as powerful as the ps4 sounds super cool to me. No one can look me in the eyes and say that The Last of Us 2 doesnt looks amazing.

You have still to keep in mind that today's Nintendo =/ Nintendo before Switch.
Many people changed. Do u remember when Nintendo said "no DLCs" and now we get them announced before the relese of the games?
There’s a new leadership. Senior employees are now in more supervisory positions. The Switch was launched by a transitory president. We’ve have s proper one now

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom