• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Yeah, it genuinely seems plausible to me that ARM designed A78C specifically for Nintendo. I know I've seen it in SOCs, but it is extremely rare, if you're going with a "Perf core/mid core/efficiency core" design, the A78 is a better bet for your middle core, and X1 is a better perf core
Probably not since Nvidia seems to be using 2 clusters of 8 Cortex-A78C cores for the BlueField-3.

I doubt it was only for Nintendo. If any they were hoping the pc/ arm market would get going.

"
Advanced features provide the scalability, developer support, and security needed for laptop class productivity and gaming on-the-go."
So far, Windows on Arm laptops, at least at the high end (e.g. ThinkPad X13s, Microsoft Surface Pro 9 5G), are opting for the 4 Cortex-X1C cores and 4 Cortex-A78C cores configuration instead of the 8 Cortex-A78C cores configuration (e.g. Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3, Microsoft SQ3).

I doubt it was only for Nintendo. If any they were hoping the pc/ arm market would get going.

"
Advanced features provide the scalability, developer support, and security needed for laptop class productivity and gaming on-the-go."
This variant could have been created at the behest of Nvidia/Nintendo or offered up by ARM in an attempt to garner marketshare.

At some point it's splitting hairs, but given the 2020 timing I would assume Nvidia/Nintendo were the initiating parties.

I have trouble imaging other users outside of gaming since the A78C 8 core arrangement doesn't offer any Big.Little options since it's all Big cores.

I do wonder if perhaps this is a backdoor attempt to make a server friendly CPU.

Edit: Missed @Dakhil reply. . . I didnt know Nvidia was using the A78C in a data center focused product. I dont know if this is more or less evidence that this particular chip was for Nvidia (and Nintendo).

Yeah, it genuinely seems plausible to me that ARM designed A78C specifically for Nintendo. I know I've seen it in SOCs, but it is extremely rare, if you're going with a "Perf core/mid core/efficiency core" design, the A78 is a better bet for your middle core, and X1 is a better perf core.

Not only that, but the big advantage of the A78C is heavily multithreaded applications, which there just aren't a lot of in the mobile phone space, and even if there were, no one is going to put 8 "middle cores" in a phone, it's just a power disaster.

I was going to say that the A78AE and A78C were announced at the same time, although a quick search indicates the A78C was actually announced about a month later. In any case, the A78AE seems to only have one customer in Nvidia, and was either designed specifically for them, or at the very least in close co-operation with them, given Nvidia listed Orin as using "Hercules-AE" long before ARM had announced the core. I could imagine a similar situation with the A78C, where Nintendo and Nvidia wanted an 8 core homogenous CPU, and the A78C core (and associated DSU) are what they got.

Also, it's probably worth noting that strictly speaking Nvidia/Nintendo wouldn't be the only customer for the A78C. Although Qualcomm don't reveal what ARM cores they're using any more, I'm pretty sure the Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 uses a 4x X1C and 4x A78C configuration. Nintendo would almost certainly be the only customer for the "more than 4 middle cores" use case, though, and the combination of X1C and A78C cores was only added about a year after the original A78C announcement, so I don't think it takes away from the likelihood that the A78C was designed specifically for Nintendo and Nvidia.

I don't think these are strictly A78C cores, or at the very least it doesn't seem to be a two clusters of 8 cores configuration. If you read this Nvidia blog post it describes the BlueField 3 CPU setup as:

Programmable compute: A powerful cluster of 16 ARM A78 v8.2 with fully coherent low-latency mesh interconnect optimized for control-plane applications. Data-plane programmability is achieved through the accelerated pipeline and a new programmable Data Path Accelerator (DPA). DPA is an I/O and packet processor consisting of 16 hyperthreaded cores, purpose-built for IO-intensive, low-compute tasks such as device emulation, congestion control, custom protocols, and more.

The key there is "mesh interconnect", which means it's not using the standard ARM CCI (Cache Coherent Interconnect), and probably not the ARM DSU (DynamIQ Shared Unit) either. Topologically with 16 cores a mesh interconnect only really makes sense if each core is its own node, so my guess is they've skipped the DSU and CCI from ARM and have just taken the A78 core and built a fully custom mesh interconnect around it. While ARM describes the A78 as being limited to 4 cores in a cluster, what they're actually saying is that the A78 is limited to 4 cores in a cluster within the ARM DSU. If you license the A78 core on its own and build your own cluster/interconnect around it, you're free to arrange as many cores in whatever configuration you like.

Another hint is that in the datasheet it lists the CPU as having 8MB L2 and 16MB LLC system cache. Note the lack of L3, which usually lives in the DSU and operates at the cluster level.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that one. It's curious to find it in a networking product, but I suppose it's the most capable CPU with lockstep redundancy, which may be of use in critical network infrastructure.

Been lurking this thread for about a year now and finally decided to post because the Japanese Splatoon Twitter account just posted several (presumably) 4K screenshots for the third time.

The first time this happened was in July 2022 when they posted this screenshot detailing the sunken scrolls feature, which if you open the direct link is in 4096x2304 resolution (above 3840x2160 for 4K). Due to the compression, it's hard to tell if the image was actually rendered at that resolution but zooming in on the corners of the pages shows way more detail than there would be in a 1080p screenshot.

In August 2022, they posted a thread of images which unusually appear to have been rendered in a much higher resolution than 1080p. Splatoon 2/3 don't use antialiasing and even in official promotional screenshots you can clearly see 1080p aliasing on sharp edges, while the images posted are 1920x1080, the lack of aliasing and detail around edges suggests they were rendered at a higher resolution. Compare this gameplay screenshot from the Twitter thread to this 1080p gameplay screenshot from around the same time, that the first image lacks any aliasing on sharp edges and the inklings in the distance have way too much detail for a 1080p image which to me look like suspiciously the image has been downscaled. This particular screenshot is also interesting because it shows the overhead camera in the replay viewer with more detail than the current version, which forces the game to render at 720p then upscale to 1080p with an FSR 1.0 upscaler, see this screenshot (likely to prevent the dynamic resolution scaling from constantly activating and being too distracting)

Today (May 2023) they posted these two images showing a new Salmon Run stage for the upcoming 4.0.0 patch, which similarly to the last set lack a lot of aliasing (look at the inkling on the left of the second image) and have more detail on distant objects than usual.

This isn't just a case of the developers turning up LODs or the render resolution for promotional screenshots, as everything else they put out is graphically identical to the current switch release (you can even see some horrible low-fps Speed LODs on the jellies in the intro (something something memory bandwidth) (EDIT: was accidentally referencing a different video) and the dynamic resolution scaling being paranoid at 0:58 in this promotional video from yesterday)

While this doesn't necessarily show the game is being developed for new hardware capable of >1080p, given how Splatoon 2/3 are capable of running at 1080p with a perfect 60fps on the current switch hardware I would not be surprised if the game was developed for both the current Tegra X1 and something new as it would easily be able to run at 4K 60fps on something more powerful, which Nintendo would love to flex.

Last edited:
Been lurking this thread for about a year now and finally decided to post because the Japanese Splatoon Twitter account just posted several (presumably) 4K screenshots for the third time.

The first time this happened was in July 2022 when they posted this screenshot detailing the sunken scrolls feature, which if you open the direct link is in 4096x2304 resolution (above 3840x2160 for 4K). Due to the compression, it's hard to tell if the image was actually rendered at that resolution but zooming in on the corners of the pages shows way more detail than there would be in a 1080p screenshot.

In August 2022, they posted a thread of images which unusually appear to have been rendered in a much higher resolution than 1080p. Splatoon 2/3 don't use antialiasing and even in official promotional screenshots you can clearly see 1080p aliasing on sharp edges, while the images posted are 1920x1080, the lack of aliasing and detail around edges suggests they were rendered at a higher resolution. Compare this gameplay screenshot from the Twitter thread to this 1080p gameplay screenshot from around the same time, that the first image lacks any aliasing on sharp edges and the inklings in the distance have way too much detail for a 1080p image which to me look like suspiciously the image has been downscaled. This particular screenshot is also interesting because it shows the overhead camera in the replay viewer with more detail than the current version, which forces the game to render at 720p then upscale to 1080p with an FSR 1.0 upscaler, see this screenshot (likely to prevent the dynamic resolution scaling from constantly activating and being too distracting)

Today (May 2023) they posted these two images showing a new Salmon Run stage for the upcoming 4.0.0 patch, which similarly to the last set lack a lot of aliasing (look at the inkling on the left of the second image) and have more detail on distant objects than usual.

This isn't just a case of the developers turning up LODs or the render resolution for promotional screenshots, as everything else they put out is graphically identical to the current switch release (you can even see some horrible low-fps Speed LODs on the jellies in the intro (something something memory bandwidth) and the dynamic resolution scaling being paranoid at 0:58 in this promotional video from yesterday)
While this doesn't necessarily show the game is being developed for new hardware capable of >1080p, given how Splatoon 2/3 are capable of running at 1080p with a perfect 60fps on the current switch hardware I would not be surprised if the game was developed for both the current Tegra X1 and something new as it would easily be able to run at 4K 60fps on something more powerful, which Nintendo would love to flex.

Sadly it doesn't mean much, they can run their games on PC. (evidences from datamines)

They also did it for NH:

And also BOTW in 2017 afaik (I think someone here or on era pointed this out forever ago)

So I’m reading the DF TOTK thread over on the other site and they are talking about performance of the game on the OG Switch vs Oled. They say it performs better on the latter because of improved faster ram. If this is the case, does that mean some of the games I own will run better on Oled as well? Or is Zelda a one off.
Huh, that's interesting. Purely anecdotal, but I've been playing on my launch Switch and noticed the other day that my framerate in places like Kakariko are worse - or seem to be, at least - than what the Digital Foundry review shows. Could be some validity to that.
The red box Switch, Lite and OLED versions all have improved CPU, GPU and RAM compared to OG, but Nintendo limited them to perform as close as possible as launch day Switch and only got better battery life out of these improvements. This is the first time I heard about them possibly running any game better than OGOG.
This was actually reported by Digital Foundry back in 2019, when Nintendo released the Red Box Switch and Switch Lite using Tegra X1 Mariko, which is a revised 16nm shrink of X1 Erista. Here's the relevant video (Starts at 11:04):

Wait is it true that the Switch OLED has more RAM than the OG??? I thought the innards were all the same
It doesn't has more RAM. It uses a newer standard of RAM compared to OG 2017 Switch. And that can cause ever so slightly variations in performance. It was already observed by DF that the new RAM had an exarcebated effect regarding performance stability on BoTW, so it's not surprising ToTK also exhibit the same. See the video above.
Maybe it’s a matter of an aged console?

I’m sure that, if I buy a ZOLED, I’ll get better performance because I have a 2017 Switch
It could be aged silicon, though that would be very unusual.
Sadly it doesn't mean much, they can run their games on PC. (evidences from datamines)

They also did it for NH:

And also BOTW in 2017 afaik (I think someone here or on era pointed this out forever ago)

Another example (That shows my age hahaha) is Skyward Sword, were the press received 720p images and that fueled a lot of Wii HD speculation.

Still lacks relevance. The early adopters will buy games on new hardware. Third party, first party, seventeenth party, it does not matter. First party exclusives sell consoles (cross gen or not is irrelevant, especially for the more hardcore early adopter), but third party still makes up a large part of Nintendo's revenue. It's not a coincidence that their worst years were when they were lacking in third-party support.

But again, the first party/third party divide isn't going to matter. Sony's cross-gen first party titles also did better on PS5
The early adopters are great. Even the Wii U had early adopters. Once, again, I'm not denying at all that there will be some audience, probably including myself, that will be more than happy to buy a new hardware no matter what. My point is that a majority of the Switch owners bought first and foremost bought a Nintendo console to play Nintendo games they can't play anywhere else. I don't know if it's relevant, because I did not think anybody would disagree. First party is a way bigger deal for Nintendo consoles that for Playstation.

This does not mean that first-party games do not count for Playstation at all, or that third-party games do not count for Nintendo at all.

This just means that what will decide the majority of consumers to replace their current Switch will more likely be a Mario game that they will not find on the console they already own than the next Call Of Duty (sorry).

They also did it for NH:

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
Is that true for current gen gaming though? XboxSeries and PS5 both have multi-core CPUs
Yes, it's why tons of games performance modes suck and have to scale down resolution so much.

It's hard to code for multi-core CPU's apparently (I am not a dev, I just asked about it to people who would know), not everything can be parallelized.

I mean, a goal of a cross gen is to maintain user engagement high as they transition from one platform to the next platform. If just an update that makes the game perform significantly better than the base is all that’s needed to increase engagement, and even potentially increase sales (and maybe decrease file size in the process), that already fulfilled its job as a cross generation element.

Games coming to older and newer platforms at the same time have the goal of just keeping engagement up. Don’t want a Wii to Wii U case where there was no engagement. It was simply dead.
Well yes, but that isn't my point, my point is specifically on what makes a cross-gen title different from other multi-plat releases. The idea that every next-gen update is considered cross-gen by default's kind of stupid, otherwise you start getting early/mid-eight gen titles like Witcher 3 being classified as cross-gen titles, which is ludicrous.

Yes, it's why tons of games performance modes suck and have to scale down resolution so much.

It's hard to code for multi-core CPU's apparently (I am not a dev, I just asked about it to people who would know), not everything can be parallelized.
Well, game consoles have been using multicore cpus since the 360, so they should have figured it out by now.

Resolution is mostly independent from the CPU. Lowering the resolution will typically not help with CPU bottlenecks.

Yeah, my guess is that it's some kind of fine grained clock gating, it's just a shame they haven't documented it anywhere. AMD implemented more fine grained clock gating in RDNA2 and made a point of mentioning it in their press materials as one of the factors in the improvement in performance per watt they managed over RDNA1, but it doesn't seem to be the kind of thing Nvidia discusses publicly.

It's probably confirmation bias, but if T239's GPU is using a fine-grained clock gating approach designed for Ada, then that makeAssuming Drake operates on Samsung 8NM, would it be conceivable for Nintendo to incorporate a larger battery to accommodate a more power-demanding SoC while maintaining the Switch OLED's existing dimensions?s me think it's more likely that they will be using TSMC 4N as well.
Assuming Drake is on Samsung 8NM, would it be possible for Nintendo to incorporate a larger battery to accommodate a more power hungry SoC?

I think we should all forget about using high-res marketing screenshots as proof for anything. Pretty sure I remember reading Skyward Sword had HD screenshots back in 2011.

Assuming Drake is on Samsung 8NM, would it be possible for Nintendo to incorporate a larger battery to accommodate a more power hungry SoC?
Maybe, but it's a large enough SOC at 8nm.

I really think we should put 8nm Samsung at rest at this point though, especially with a possible 2024 release. Not saying 4nm TSMC is guaranteed by any means though. We could get a refined 5nm Samsung for all we know.

Maybe, but it's a large enough SOC at 8nm.

I really think we should put 8nm Samsung at rest at this point though, especially with a possible 2024 release. Not saying 4nm TSMC is guaranteed by any means though. We could get a refined 5nm Samsung for all we know.
Drake finished last year, release date doesn't matter at this point.

Every other Nvidia gpu that finished last year was on 4N though (always forget if it's 4N or N4).

Btw it is possible to estimate what would be the power consumption on TSMC 4N vs Samsung 8nm?
8nm would mean bad battery life, regardless of clocks.

There is limit to how low you can clock Ampere before it get inefficient (I think around 300mhz is the absolute minimum). And at that point, why go with fewer cores at higher speed.

8nm would mean bad battery life, regardless of clocks.

There is limit to how low you can clock Ampere before it get inefficient (I think around 300mhz is the absolute minimum). And at that point, why go with fewer cores at higher speed.
Would Drake be bigger than Erista if it's on 8nm?

Of course they could have just ported the single player game to Switch, but I think there was simply no interest to invest too much time in a Switch port where they essentially expect a marginal profit compared if they put their resources into a GTA online update.
This is the part that always stumps me. That somebody in a position of power figures "GTAV as an offline-only game just isn't going to be big enough to bother with. But full speed ahead on L.A. Noire!"
I don't know if the percentage of Switch users who would go out and buy a more advanced model when they can play the same games on the model they already have is that high.
It's a not insignificant amount of OLED sales, and that barely touched anything beyond the screen.

Right, but that's a point against OLED. Something that was going to provide bigger gains than OLED did would do even better at selling to the old crowd.
Something marketed as a generation gap after seven years needs to feel like one, in my opinion. My point is that in the long run, while it's great to keep the momentum so late on the life-cycle of the Switch, which is a huge positive point of Totk, a new hardware needs to be on everyone's conversations just like Zelda currently is. And it can only happen threw games.

EPD Tokyo has to bring it's A game to make the next Mario as much exciting as possible, and i really love this idea.

This isn't just a case of the developers turning up LODs or the render resolution for promotional screenshots, as everything else they put out is graphically identical to the current switch release (you can even see some horrible low-fps Speed LODs on the jellies in the intro (something something memory bandwidth) (EDIT: was accidentally referencing a different video) and the dynamic resolution scaling being paranoid at 0:58 in this promotional video from yesterday)

Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but i think Digital Foundry's video on Tears of The Kingdom found some discrepancies between the original first trailer's quality to the other trailers/game shipped? Seems like the first trailer was way sharper than the usual you could find with the Switch, even on docked. Makes me think if they're starting to make more games with more powerful hardware in mind in terms of scalability and all. I remember Gamefreak also future-proofing their 3D models, but i think that was done quite some time ago, so i don't think it counts.

I get that, but that's still a lot of active users that you're leaving behind and I reckon most of them aren't ready to upgrade, yet.
It's a double edged sword really. Do they use these games to push Nextgen Switch sales? Or should they release them on last gen too to make more money, which might hinder Nextgen Switch sales in the process, because some will say "It can play on my existing Switch and I don't need Nextgen Switch for it"?

Depends what their strategy is. Personally, I prefer the former.

The early adopters are great. Even the Wii U had early adopters. Once, again, I'm not denying at all that there will be some audience, probably including myself, that will be more than happy to buy a new hardware no matter what. My point is that a majority of the Switch owners bought first and foremost bought a Nintendo console to play Nintendo games they can't play anywhere else. I don't know if it's relevant, because I did not think anybody would disagree. First party is a way bigger deal for Nintendo consoles that for Playstation.

This does not mean that first-party games do not count for Playstation at all, or that third-party games do not count for Nintendo at all.

This just means that what will decide the majority of consumers to replace their current Switch will more likely be a Mario game that they will not find on the console they already own than the next Call Of Duty (sorry).
bro, you've gone so far past my original point with this first vs third party nonsense.

let me re-iterate the original point I was making
as we've seen from Series and PS5, cross-gen doesn't prevent people from buying the next gen version

first/third party divide was never brought up because it was irrelevant. people bought the PS5 versions of games and PS5 did well despite a last gen version. Nintendo audience is starting to be have more core gamers who'd take the next gen option of games should they be provided. if all of Nintendo's games are on both Switch and Drake upon launch, Drake will sell just fine. if they just have enhanced modes for Drake, they'll be fine

this is the last I'm gonna be on this since I feel this whole discussion has veered way off from what I intended from my comment

Nintendo has ALWAYS done cross gen games. Link's Awakening DX for GB and GBC, the Oracle games for GBC and GBA. Some games on GBC even had a GBA-aware graphical enhancement element. Some DS games were enhanced on 3DS, like Black 2 and White 2. There were even cross-gen releases on Switch, like Fire Emblem Warriors for New Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Switch.
Are these crossgen or ports though?

I don't know if the percentage of Switch users who would go out and buy a more advanced model when they can play the same games on the model they already have is that high. It's not like we're talking about 125 million Digital Foundry fans. It's going to be interesting to follow, and complicated to deal with, because Totk's numbers do show that Nintendo would have an immediate interest in doing the same thing that Sony was kind of forced to do with the shortages, but at some point there's going to have to be concrete reasons to buy the new hardware.
I like to use the Wii U launch as a base for the dedicated nintendo hardware buyers... so like probably 5 million dedicated people who would go out and buy one within the first little while.
but switch is far more popular so maybe more.
but I'd say 5 million is the floor

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

I'm sure their engine has a button that just renders an image...
I mean in unreal you can render a 16K image in editor if you wanted. Maybe even higher now.

Last edited:
So, how about piracy?

As far as I'm aware, the Switch was/is actually pretty secure except for the NVIDIA exploit in the first models. It was a hardware exploit that shouldn't be there in the first place.

What can Nintendo do to avoid hackeable Switch 2 systems?

And what can Nintendo do to mitigate Switch 2 games piracy on PCs?

So, how about piracy?

As far as I'm aware, the Switch was/is actually pretty secure except for the NVIDIA exploit in the first models. It was a hardware exploit that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Each switch cart has a key unique ID, or so I thought. I remember stories of Nintendo disabling carts of leaked games but the hacking kind of subverted that functionality, I think.

So, how about piracy?

Hire multiple pen test teams to attack Nvidia's bootloader (and a few other security sensitive things that can't be patched if there's a problem).

So, how about piracy?

Pretty much what they already do. Switch is very secure and only was exploited due to the hardware exploit in Erista. T239, assuming no catastrophic security error from Nvidia, will be pretty much locked.
Regarding emulation, it will be a very interesting topic. In theory, it will be quite hard as people need to learn about the in and out of T239 and NGH OS. There's also the fact they will need to provide solutions to RT Cores and Tensor Cores. Coupled with the fact NGH will be much stronger than Switch and thus much more complex/costly to emulate, I can foresee a, for the first time since SNES, no emulation available for current Nintendo hardware. If it happens, the reaction from the emulation community will be something to see.

So, how about piracy?

Well the software seems pretty water tight, and they're not likely to change it. The only exploits are hardware, most likely, and that's been more or less solved since 2018 on the silicon side. With the processor being nearly entirely custom this time, I think it would likely be under even more scrutiny than before internally.

I don't really see an entry point, unless there's an oversight in the SOC. Mod chips will most likely always be a possibility, but they're not user friendly enough to make piracy a serious concern, while the piracy concerns caused by how easy it is to emulate will certainly be alleviated just by it being so much more powerful and more custom, rather than something off the shelf.

What I'd like to see is Microsoft's approach of "can't beat 'em, join 'em", where Xbox One, and Series X|S consoles, just haven't been exploited because there's no incentive when Microsoft provides developer access to any user for a nominal fee. Nintendo would never do that, but it is what I'd like to see.

This is the part that always stumps me. That somebody in a position of power figures "GTAV as an offline-only game just isn't going to be big enough to bother with. But full speed ahead on L.A. Noire!"
I‘m not saying that I’d agree with the decision. GTAV would sell really well on Switch. Just tried to speculate on the reasons why they would have decided against it and I think that I gave several reasons why maybe GTAV wasn‘t feasible for Switch. I mean it could still happen, I just don‘t think that it‘s likely anymore.

You could argue that it would have made more sense to take the time and just develop the game for Switch instead of doing a Multiplattform remaster of LA Noire. GTAV on Switch alone would had probably made a higher profit. But I think it is pointless to compare different projects like that, especially when you consider that both games where originally made by different studios and likely have different technical backgrounds.

It made sense to bring LA Noire to newer platforms and gave that game a second chance, while if we are really honest GTAV dosen‘t need the Switch to be successful because it is already is like everywhere in the best possible state.

Last edited:
51qBiAbY4WL.jpg

if you know you know

doubt it will happen again

I must have misremembered the specifics. I remember people talking about the visuals being incredibly laughable - simplified and gutted. Perhaps it ran fine but it looked like a joke?
I don't know where you're hearing this stuff, it was a pretty good port?

I don't know where you're hearing this stuff, it was a pretty good port?

Yeah look it was a while ago. I just remember clips showing up online of some very gutted, muddy looking fatalities. I didn’t persist in here saying it was bad.

I’m extremely not invested in the fighting genre, and I was probably inadvertently looking at console warrior clips. That’s my best guess.

They also did it for NH:

If you read to the end of their comment you can see they already know this

Yeah look it was a while ago.
Alright, you're saying you heard people talking about it running poorly and having horrendous graphics, and you're also saying you remember seeing it yourself. I'm just going off what you're saying!

Alright, you're saying you heard people talking about it running poorly and having horrendous graphics, and you're also saying you remember seeing it yourself. I'm just going off what you're saying!

I did in fact recall seeing comparison videos portraying the Switch version in a bad light, notably focusing on fatalities - this is me seeing it myself + “others talking about it”. These could have been real, or emulation bugs, but it was a while ago. It left enough if an impression that when I heard MK1 was heading to Switch it gave me pause - “hey wasn’t it really bad last time?”

Seems the answer was no. ¯\(ツ)

I did in fact recall seeing comparison videos portraying the Switch version in a bad light, notably focusing on fatalities - this is me seeing it myself + “others talking about it”. These could have been real, or emulation bugs, but it was a while ago. It left enough if an impression that when I heard MK1 was heading to Switch it gave me pause - “hey wasn’t it really bad last time?”

Seems the answer was no. ¯\(ツ)

Yeah, to be fair, it's not like.... great lol

Pretty much what they already do. Switch is very secure and only was exploited due to the hardware exploit in Erista. T239, assuming no catastrophic security error from Nvidia, will be pretty much locked.
Regarding emulation, it will be a very interesting topic. In theory, it will be quite hard as people need to learn about the in and out of T239 and NGH OS. There's also the fact they will need to provide solutions to RT Cores and Tensor Cores. Coupled with the fact NGH will be much stronger than Switch and thus much more complex/costly to emulate, I can foresee a, for the first time since SNES, no emulation available for current Nintendo hardware. If it happens, the reaction from the emulation community will be something to see.
Theoretically, couldn’t RT cores on NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel GPUs be “drop-in” replacements for emulating Drake’s? At least on the Tensor core side, the same could be done for NVIDIA as well, but I’m not sure what the equivalent is for AMD/Intel.

If the Tensor cores are only used for DLSS, then FSR or XeSS could also be drop-in replacements. But yet again I have no idea how emulation of this could work.

Well yes, but that isn't my point, my point is specifically on what makes a cross-gen title different from other multi-plat releases. The idea that every next-gen update is considered cross-gen by default's kind of stupid, otherwise you start getting early/mid-eight gen titles like Witcher 3 being classified as cross-gen titles, which is ludicrous.
That’s supposed to be a remaster so see that as different.

Something marketed as a generation gap after seven years needs to feel like one, in my opinion. My point is that in the long run, while it's great to keep the momentum so late on the life-cycle of the Switch, which is a huge positive point of Totk, a new hardware needs to be on everyone's conversations just like Zelda currently is. And it can only happen threw games.
PS5 sure wasn't in hot demand for its exclusive games these last 2.5 years.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom