• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

It sounds like we’re coming back full circle to the “iPhone style” release guesses. Is this going to be Switch 2? Backwards compatible with Switch games? Then in 2 years, Switch 3, then 2 more, Switch 4? And it would be up to developers how far back they want to make their games compatible. I personally don’t like this style but I know the possibility has been talked about.

i really hoped for the “every 3 years a revision” style upgrade path … but I think its safe to say nintendo still likes to stretch out their hardware for YEARS at a time.
\

It sounds like we’re coming back full circle to the “iPhone style” release guesses. Is this going to be Switch 2? Backwards compatible with Switch games? Then in 2 years, Switch 3, then 2 more, Switch 4? And it would be up to developers how far back they want to make their games compatible. I personally don’t like this style but I know the possibility has been talked about.
I don’t think it’s going to be that extreme. Not every two years. But something like every four years makes a lot of sense. There were already roughly four years between, say, the DS and DSi, and between the 3DS and New 3DS. The only real change is that rather than having every other hardware release “count” as a new generation with its own new games, all the releases would have the potential for games to require that level of hardware (I know there were a few New 3DS-only games and like DSiWare and stuff, but it would probably be a little more widespread now).

Like, let’s look at consoles. Let’s say in 2024 Sony releases the PS5 Slim Digital Edition for $299 and the PS5 Pro for $499, and that new system is just like the PS4 Pro in that Sony doesn’t support developers exclusively targeting the Pro. And let’s say Microsoft releases the Xbox Series 2, with two versions: the Series 2S for $299, and the Series 2X for $499.

There isn’t, like, a huge difference between these strategies. The Series 2S would likely be close to the PS5 Slim in price and performance, and the Series 2X would likely be roughly comparable to the PS5 Pro in price and performance. The difference would mostly be in policy and marketing: Sony would consider the PS5 Pro as still being a PS5, and so it would play all the same games and all games would continue to have to support the PS5 until the PS6 came out in 2028 or whatever, whereas for Xbox, the Series 2S and Series 2X would essentially be the next consoles and developers could target them exclusively. Most software would still support the Series S and Series X for the foreseeable future, of course, but if, say, The Coalition wants to release a game in 2027 that’s a big graphical showpiece, they can drop support for Series S and Series X. Conversely, if someone is making a game in 2029 that isn’t very demanding, they can say it runs on Series S/X, Series 2, and Series 3 consoles.

I think that way of releasing consoles makes sense. It’s a little more appropriate for our cross-gen world that we live in and it sort of makes the “it’s a new console, but it’s not a new development target” of the PS4 Pro sort of seem kind of artificial.

Personally I could care less about battery. If it's only getting 2 hours, fine. There's ways to deal with that. Honestly take a break from your stupid video games and grow up! I kid. But on the real, if that's a trade off for a much more juicy system (for the next 5 years, mind you) it's a good one.

The die shrink mariko style model in a couple years can have the extra battery life. It'll be a nice tick-tock marketing strategy. Focus on amazeballs-4k-nintendo games for Drake and then for drake2 it's just "These same amazeballs with 5+ hours battery life + whatever else upgrade they can fit (bigger screen? bigger storage?)" boom.

Speaking of bigger storage, has Nintendo ever offered tiers of storage? Seems like a missed opportunity to do that with this new one if they don't. I like the idea of the higher storage model throwing in a game bundle too. If it's a $100 step up but it has a game that I was going to buy anyhow that makes it a no-brainer.

You'd have this kind of break down: (oled Switch discontinued)
$199 (mariko) Lite
$249 (mariko) Switch
$399 (drake, 64GB) Switch
$499 (drake, 128GB+, BOTW2 Pack-in) Switch

(Maybe a 2024 drake Lite for $299?)

That looks like a beautiful product line up to me. I think that would put Nintendo in an excellent position moving forward, especially with the fact (rumor) that this new switch sounds like something really special.
A Drake Lite probably for binned chips that didn't reach the standard for Dock Mode.

Last edited:
i really hoped for the “every 3 years a revision” style upgrade path … but I think its safe to say nintendo still likes to stretch out their hardware for YEARS at a time.
\
don't think there's any way they can make that cost effective

A Drake Lite probably for binned chips that didn't reach the standard for Dock Mode.
likewise, I don't think Nintendo will go for anything that isn't 100% usable on a chip. because the Switch paradigm is altering clock speeds not core counts. that's probably variability that they want to avoid

I think the New Switch being the same form factor as the OLED makes sense. If it was going to be changed, then we would have heard or would soon hear about new screens or parts being ordered. That's how we found out about the OLED(believed to be switch pro at the time)

I think the New Switch being the same form factor as the OLED makes sense. If it was going to be changed, then we would have heard or would soon hear about new screens or parts being ordered. That's how we found out about the OLED(believed to be switch pro at the time)
Right. Also, it’s not like they can really make the screen any bigger without breaking compatibility with the joy-cons (or making it look really weird when they’re attached), and they’re not going to do that. And the 7-inch OLED screen is great. They can keep on using literally the same exact panel if they want.

After Ubisoft’s news yesterday I really hope it’s capable of receiving some great versions of AC Codenames Red and Hexe and that Ubi goes for it (day and date or close to it dare I hope?)

\
I can kind of understand it, development cycles are generally 3 years, so you can get a team to release a first and second title on a platform this way, some games have taken way longer than they probably should have, but a second time a team makes a game for a particular platform, they are much more familiar with it, and can pull much more out of a system, so from that angle it does make sense to go with a 6 year hardware lifespan, the main key is to keep the same user market growing when moving from one generation to the next, traditionally this is where Playstation did very well, but moving to iterative generations should make this transition trivial, at least that is the belief.

likewise, I don't think Nintendo will go for anything that isn't 100% usable on a chip. because the Switch paradigm is altering clock speeds not core counts. that's probably variability that they want to avoid
Ummm... there's stuff on the Tegra X1 that's not in use or usable. Erista (and quite likely Mariko) feature a totally unused Cortex-A53 CPU on the SoC. But I see what you're angling at.

If portable mode does not require every available core to be active in order to achieve desired results at the correct thermal envelope (which seems likely), they absolutely could introduce binning as a way to maximize usable chips produced on each wafer. By their nature, cores are only ever active when necessary to perform tasks, either multiple tasks at once or multi-threading a single larger task. If testing shows that no game in portable mode is using more than 50% of the CPU or GPU cores, they could effectively use binned chips for a Lite model where 25% of the cores are faulty and disable those cores (no power can be sent to activate them) and the software would simply indicate that the cores they think should be there are halted (not idle, just off), while still giving an extra 25% CPU/GPU cushion to the expected usage of cores on the SoC just as a precautionary measure, and still be fine since the faulty cores for sure would never be active anyways.

EDIT: And getting that maximum necessary core figure is theoretically easy: stress-test the SoC in TV mode at its maximum achievable spec, then run the same test rendering at the target display resolution in portable mode, find out how many cores are never put into use and then conservatively estimate how many CPU/GPU cores a binned chip can do without based on those tests.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Switch Lite is taking advantage of binned Mariko chips already and no one's really done the work to find out.

Last edited:
Production for the original switch didn't begin until well after October IIRC. Production for the OLED model didn't begin until July 2021, 3 months before it launched.

It definitely doesn't need 6 months.
Looking back, DF had full retail specs and clock speeds by mid December of 2016, so yeah I'd guess full production started a bit before then. So I think at least ~3 months holds up as time frame. Which continues to make me think that initial announcement would have to be this year if it's supposed to be coming in March.

Larger third parties (or just this one in particular since it’s a close partner due to it having the most high profile ps4/xb1 port ready for the launch window) have been briefed on the drake strategy as of a couple of weeks ago. It’s essentially Switch Pro to consumers (just another model in the line) but a massive next gen leap Switch 2 to those of us that know about specs and who know it inevitably get exclusive games even from Nintendo a couple of years into it’s life.

16gb is in the devkits, the previous devkit was 10gb with 6gb planned for retail (the devkits are a mess silicon wise ‘glued together’ so don’t read into ram modules etc). The current plan as of a couple of weeks ago was 12gb in the retail unit but many developers in the studio are responding to questionnaires with a bump to 16gb if they had an improvement advice. This late in the game I’d say there’s little chance of change beyond 12gb and the chipset from NV leak.

I understand the sceptics but like I said previously I really couldn’t give a bollocks who believes me and who doesn’t the info is there so enjoy it or don’t and ignore it just remember to thank me when they reveal / launch it.
The only bit I'll comment on here: Yes, partners were briefed in things very recently.

Larger third parties (or just this one in particular since it’s a close partner due to it having the most high profile ps4/xb1 port ready for the launch window) have been briefed on the drake strategy as of a couple of weeks ago. It’s essentially Switch Pro to consumers (just another model in the line) but a massive next gen leap Switch 2 to developers and those of us that know about specs and who know it will inevitably get exclusive games even from Nintendo a couple of years into it’s life.

16gb is in the devkits, the previous devkit was 10gb with 6gb planned for retail (the devkits are a mess silicon wise ‘glued together’ so don’t read into ram modules etc). The current plan as of a couple of weeks ago was 12gb in the retail unit but many developers in the studio are responding to questionnaires with a bump to 16gb if they had an improvement advice. This late in the game I’d say there’s little chance of change beyond my info of 12gb ram and the chipset leak from NV.

I understand the sceptics but like I said previously I really couldn’t give a bollocks who believes me and who doesn’t the info is there so enjoy it or don’t and ignore it just remember to thank me when they reveal / launch it.

The only bit I'll comment on here: Yes, partners were briefed in things very recently.

Ummm... there's stuff on the Tegra X1 that's not in use or usable. Erista (and quite likely Mariko) feature a totally unused Cortex-A53 CPU on the SoC. But I see what you're angling at.
TX1 wasn't designed for Nintendo. Drake, by all indications, is.
If portable mode does not require every available core to be active in order to achieve desired results at the correct thermal envelope (which seems likely), they absolutely could introduce binning as a way to maximize usable chips produced on each wafer. By their nature, cores are only ever active when necessary to perform tasks, either multiple tasks at once or multi-threading a single larger task. If testing shows that no game in portable mode is using more than 50% of the CPU or GPU cores, they could effectively use binned chips for a Lite model where 25% of the cores are faulty and disable those cores (no power can be sent to activate them) and the software would simply indicate that the cores they think should be there are halted (not idle, just off), while still giving an extra 25% CPU/GPU cushion to the expected usage of cores on the SoC just as a precautionary measure, and still be fine since the faulty cores for sure would never be active anyways.

EDIT: And getting that maximum necessary core figure is theoretically easy: stress-test the SoC in TV mode at its maximum achievable spec, then run the same test rendering at the target display resolution in portable mode, find out how many cores are never put into use and then conservatively estimate how many CPU/GPU cores a binned chip can do without based on those tests.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Switch Lite is taking advantage of binned Mariko chips already and no one's really done the work to find out.
All of this is super dependent on the workload. There isn't some magic set of numbers that's going to work for everything. The exact details behind what changes and what doesn't between docked and portable right now is very deliberate, and based around being fairly minimally disruptive and making sure games can run in both modes. I don't expect the difference between docked and portable to significantly change for new models.

This isn't to say they don't use binned chips for Lites, but only for frequency, if so.

Larger third parties (or just this one in particular since it’s a close partner due to it having the most high profile ps4/xb1 port ready for the launch window) have been briefed on the drake strategy as of a couple of weeks ago. It’s essentially Switch Pro to consumers (just another model in the line) but a massive next gen leap Switch 2 to developers and those of us that know about specs and who know it will inevitably get exclusive games even from Nintendo a couple of years into it’s life.

16gb is in the devkits, the previous devkit was 10gb with 6gb planned for retail (the devkits are a mess silicon wise ‘glued together’ so don’t read into ram modules etc). The current plan as of a couple of weeks ago was 12gb in the retail unit but many developers in the studio are responding to questionnaires with a bump to 16gb if they had an improvement advice. This late in the game I’d say there’s little chance of change beyond my info of 12gb ram and the chipset leak from NV.

I enjoy it.

Wow I can’t wait

Newer Nintendo Switch.

Then,

Even Newer Nintendo Switch
Even Newer Still Nintendo Switch
Yet Again Newer Nintendo Switch
As of Yet Newest Nintendo Switch
Oops All Newer Nintendo Switch
The Nintendo Contemporary Switch.
And they‘ll sell you the Switch-Con with all new driftless Joy-Cons.

Not gonna lie, the number of red flags here is definitely increasing.

Will be interesting to see how people react to a "Switch Pro" being marketed to them after the OLED isn't even that old. And curious about the price too considering OLED is still 350€. Would they really reduce the price of the older hardware right when the new one comes out? Is there precedent for that?

Q1 2023 would be amazing obviously. Imagine if we got a trailer like for the Switch back then out of the blue in the next weeks/months.

Sorry just to confirm, they were briefed as to the marketing strategy that Polygon mentioned, or you just know there was some kind of briefing/knowledge transfer that occured recently?

Will be interesting to see how people react to a "Switch Pro" being marketed to them after the OLED isn't even that old.

Yep. I think the marketing is going to be so important. Most people don’t want a ‘Pro’ piece of hardware and it would be strange for such a radical evolution in technology to not be selling at the rate of a brand new console. Imagine the PS4 marketed as a PS3 Pro despite all the costs and effort put into it. I guess the major driver will be how many major exclusive games they can get on this hardware as they will help drive sales higher than a usual ‘Pro’ model.

I don’t really see where you’re getting that, from…anything?
I meant BIG BIG, i mean I dont think the next Mario will be on Switch after this comes out, i meant things far off in the future

For example even if it late 2023, the Remake of Fire Emblem (Genalogy or Not) will be on both, probably

but that will probably be the last FE on OG switch

Sounds awesome really, and a big step in power for Nintendo. If I were to do the marketing I would slap on a tag with "Now you're playing with power!" Therefore they would call it the Power Switch.

I assumed the "previous" one being discussed was from like a year or two ago.
Nah, few months ago.

There were for LPDDR4X that would have given 72GB/s or something

but eh.
Would it make sense in using it for LPDDR5? LPDDR4X would follow one but 5 hasn’t been updated for that yet I think.
From Polygon's first sources? hmm. Unless there are multiple dev kits...
Yes from a previous one he posted, there were 16GB in the DK and only 12 available to retail products. He never said how much devs had to work with.

But now it’s information that they had 6GB for devs to work with from an older kit. I mean that’s fine, means that the Retail would have 8GB and Nintendo took 2GB to work with for the OS.

Devs only having 2GB to work with for debugging in the first scenario and they likely now have 4GB in the second, updated scenario.

If I were to rationalize the bizarre “10GB” number, perhaps a 2GB module and a 8GB module on the same package to add up to 10GB. This is a dev kit so this doesn’t matter much, these aren’t made in 100s of millions.

This only means that devs have 4GB more to work with, not +6GB over the 6GB it had from the original.

The likelihood of this stuff is so low I don’t even know why I’m entertaining this.

If I have to find a way to rationalize something that doesn’t make sense to me, it is already fishier than the sea and I can smell that from a mile away. Like I’m literally having to jump through hoops to try to make this make sense as an actual device sort of thing here.

basically 1 to 1.3Ghz GPU speed
Probably a bit Higher.

something like 8 core 1.5 GHz CPU maybe?
A lot higher.

I meant BIG BIG, i mean I dont think the next Mario will be on Switch after this comes out, i meant things far off in the future

For example even if it late 2023, the Remake of Fire Emblem (Genalogy or Not) will be on both, probably

but that will probably be the last FE on OG switch

I think Nintendo’s big games will be on the OG Switch for at least a couple of years and I’d imagine 3D Mario comes in that time.

Yep. I think the marketing is going to be so important. Most people don’t want a ‘Pro’ piece of hardware and it would be strange for such a radical evolution in technology to not be selling at the rate of a brand new console. Imagine the PS4 marketed as a PS3 Pro despite all the costs and effort put into it. I guess the major driver will be how many major exclusive games they can get on this hardware as they will help drive sales higher than a usual ‘Pro’ model.
Yeah I think there needs to be clear improvements visually from their lineup, even if its just a resolution bump to older games for a start. and just hammer on the fact its backwards compatible. But maybe they name it Switch U and show the tv its played on more than the console lol. You never know.

This is also my opinion in previous post. Me as a general gamers want a clear massage if Drake is Pro or 2. For this kind of power, better call it as a Switch 2 that have BC for Switch 1 families. Just satisfy with 3rd place under PS2 & DS

Listen brother

You have a Pikachu avatar

I believe you

and because of this glorious news this thread needs some chunes STAT

Last edited:

wall-talk.gif

Does the fact that Devs are still filling out questionnaires about specs indicate this is a ways out yet or nah?
At this point, we can assume that the SoC is close enough to a tape-out that we're not seeing substantial changes on that front (if it's not taped out already), and feedback taken will likely be more about things they can change on the rest of the board prior to production starting, like RAM, storage, game cards, hardware feature sets, etc.

Does the fact that Devs are still filling out questionnaires about specs indicate this is a ways out yet or nah?
Not really, if there’s a questionnaire that’s happening rn with devs and it is for a device set for H1, it’s only going to have feedback of things that can actually change such as RAM amount.

Clock speeds are forever in flux until the very last second.

If I’m not mistaken, People expected 4GB for the PS4 because that’s what devs were seeing for their device back then, and then Sony upped it to 8GB for the system before announcing the thing.

Yeah I think there needs to be clear improvements visually from their lineup, even if its just a resolution bump to older games for a start. and just hammer on the fact its backwards compatible. But maybe they name it Switch U and show the tv its played on more than the console lol. You never know.
Yea, I don’t expect anything fancy like dlss for older games. Just a bare minimum resolution/ setting tweak similiar to what homebrewers are doing on Mariko.

So Prime 4 and Botw 2 will probably be the last two BIG games that will playble on OG Switch?

Unlikely, current Switch models will get full Nintendo support at least 2 years after Drake launch,
so we talking talking about period of at least around 2.5 years from now, in that period we will probably get new 3D Mario game, some Pokemon games, possible 2D Mario game, possible Mario Kart 9, and who knows what else.

Will be interesting to see how people react to a "Switch Pro" being marketed to them after the OLED isn't even that old. And curious about the price too considering OLED is still 350€. Would they really reduce the price of the older hardware right when the new one comes out? Is there precedent for that?

Q1 2023 would be amazing obviously. Imagine if we got a trailer like for the Switch back then out of the blue in the next weeks/months.

I don't see any meaningful reaction in any case, OLED is simple revision while Drake is full next gen Switch hardware that is coming around 1.5 year after Switch OLED revision launch.

Not really, if there’s a questionnaire that’s happening rn with devs and it is for a device set for H1, it’s only going to have feedback of things that can actually change such as RAM amount.

Clock speeds are forever in flux until the very last second.

If I’m not mistaken, People expected 4GB for the PS4 because that’s what devs were seeing for their device back then, and then Sony upped it to 8GB for the system before announcing the thing.

I boy, i know for sure what checkbox Capcom has been checking. ;D

It's pretty cool that this humble, (comparatively) little board of Nintendo uberfans likely got a bunch of pretty impressive scoops on the next Nintendo hardware. Even just this page has plenty of juicy info. I wonder if a year from now we'll look back and be like "oh yeah, famiboards knew what was up."

My biggest fear is that they may choose a name that confuses the audience. If it really is a new generation of Switch and should also receive exclusive Nintendo games in the future, they must make it clear also from the name itself or it goes back to the mistakes of the past.

And if it's not "Switch 2", the perfect choice to me is New Nintendo Switch. Things like "Pro", "Ultra", "Super" would not be very clear in my opinion, because it would lead to think of the improved base model, but not a new gen

I'd say the first Switch 2 exclusive will be Luigi's Mansion 4 in like late 2024.
Not really a seller though. Let's see, with the rumored specs, a new Mario Odyssey in UE5 would look like a next gen game. Maybe a Kid Icarus in the style of God Of War would showcase the new Switch's power.

What I really want to know though is if the new switch will boost the old games' performance. I really like to do an NG+ of SMTV in full 60FPS and max resolution.

I think Apple has conditioned people to understand something with the postfixes "Pro" or "Max" or similar power-words mean it's an improved / more powerful version.

As long as they're not doing another Wii U naming catastrophe, they're fine.

Not really a seller though. Let's see, with the rumored specs, a new Mario Odyssey in UE5 would look like a next gen game. Maybe a Kid Icarus in the style of God Of War would showcase the new Switch's power.

What I really want to know though is if the new switch will boost the old games' performance. I really like to do an NG+ of SMTV in full 60FPS and max resolution.
Luigi's Mansion 3 is arguably the best looking Switch game and a strong technical showcase. And from a sales point of view, it's definitely a massive seller lmao , 3 sold around 12 million copies. Definitely more than Kid Icarus could ever hope to achieve.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom