• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Yes, a die shrink, that allows greater performance at the same power draw, because it takes less power to clock higher, so it can be clocked higher, at the same power draw, as the old switch. Ie, an enhanced version, of the same x1 SOC.

Specifically, netting increased performance around 25-30%.

Not only that but we don't know what Nintendo had been planning for the device at that stage. If he started to report on the news of the die shrink Switch in 2018, it's totally possible that Nintendo was evaluating what to do with the change at that time. Alternatively, he had zero insights to Nintendo's planning around it, but was informed by somebody knowledgeable of what such a change to the TX1 could technically mean - a performance boost.

He came to the wrong conclusion, but it was definitely a possible conclusion.

So when people say "there was never a Pro rumored in 2019", that's just wrong.

How often are people saying this in this thread? It's not wrong to say that the pro in 2019 didn't gain anywhere near the amount of traction as the 2021 reporting, but there were absolutely discussions stemming from Mochizuki's article(s).

"Feel better about themselves"

When you start using this kind of argument on the internet, it's probably time to take a break mate.

Mochizuki's specifications were partially wrong in 2019, and significantly wrong in 2021. If he wasn't this topic would not exist.
His specifications were, 100% accurate.

His interpretations mixed up two different things in 2021.

There are no alternative facts here.

Not only that but we don't know what Nintendo had been planning for the device at that stage. If he started to report on the news of the die shrink Switch in 2018, it's totally possible that Nintendo was evaluating what to do with the change at that time. Alternatively, he had zero insights to Nintendo's planning around it, but was informed by somebody knowledgeable of what such a change to the TX1 could technically mean - a performance boost.

He came to the wrong conclusion, but it was definitely a possible conclusion.
This is why good media and fact parsing skills are so important.

His sourcing is mostly products that get manufactured/planned for manufacture, and the people who deal with said moving and manufacturing of product. Not marketing, pr, or people directing business strategy, or how that product is going to be used.

That should automatically contextualize anything he has to say, by anybody reading what he says.

People who don't do that, and come up with unreasonable interpretations contradicting the obvious context, well, that's on them, and I don't care much for the distractions.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Toto's tweet actually came several hours after the Splatoon model announcement. It was deleted within minutes of posting.

Pretty sure Toto's tweet actually came several hours after the Splatoon model announcement. It was deleted within minutes of posting.

I found a screen cap via image search that was timestamped 8:30PM 7/5/22 Tokyo. I think that's 1.5 hours prior to the announcement? Not sure.

I found a screen cap via image search that was timestamped 8:30PM 7/5/22 Tokyo. I think that's 1.5 hours prior to the announcement? Not sure.
This was the first time it was posted on Fami

Edit: so yeah like 12 hours before the announcement, you're right

Last edited:
It's like saying the PS4 Slim and Xbox One S were designed to be more powerfull.
? But the Xbox One S WAS. It has a faster APU which some games took advantage of. It loaded faster. It added HDR and 4K output support.

The Xbox One S used its die shrinks to slightly boost clocks while still consuming less power.

The Mariko Switches didn't. They didn't even price drop (except the V2 in Europe).

I agree with most of this, but the problem is exactly the bolded part. The facts are, at worst, that he misleadingly implied an enhanced model was happening in 2019
Mochi because victim of a self-inventing rumor. There was no real “rumor” of Pro before hand, but there was a lot of talk about whether or not Nintendo would make one.

From literally the day that the SOC was confirmed folk were speculating about an X2 based revision - mostly coming from folk who had hoped for the X2 in the first place.

Mochizuki’s completely reasonable (and ultimately accurate) reporting targeted at an investor audience got picked up by a fan press that is used to reading “hints” into things and suddenly the switch pro was “confirmed”.

This is why good media and fact parsing skills are so important.

His sourcing is mostly products that get manufactured/planned for manufacture, and the people who deal with said moving and manufacturing of product. Not marketing, pr, or people directing business strategy, or how that product is going to be used.

That should automatically contextualize anything he has to say, by anybody reading what he says.

People who don't do that, and come up with unreasonable interpretations contradicting the obvious context, well, that's on them, and I don't care much for the distractions.

I know now that I shouldn't take all of his writing at face value, that's for sure. Wouldn't surprise me if early wrong conclusions carried a bit of personal bias ie. he's just one of us and feels there should already be a pro on the market.

The most recent article (September 2021) off the back of his flub did at least present the following:
Nintendo could still decide to not release a 4K Switch. The Kyoto, Japan-based company has quietly shelved numerous products over the years for strategic reasons or technical challenges. One noteworthy example is a sleep monitor called Quality of Life that the company unveiled in 2014 and never sold. For developers that expended considerable resources preparing for a 4K console, the lack of an upgrade would complicate plans and may add the burden of converting their projects to support lesser hardware.

______

It's like saying the PS4 Slim and Xbox One S were designed to be more powerfull.

You are absolutely going out of your way to be stubborn and bordering on antagonistic at this stage. You must be able to see the point being made here by other posters.

Just humoring your specific comment for a second - these two devices were following precedent; they're size reductions and reduced cost models. Switch did see a size reduction and reduced cost model via the Lite at the same time. It's was an absolutely fair guess that, if another change was being planned for the full size device that it could very well have been for performance gains. There existed no precedent for Nintendo to say 'lets just use this for more battery life'.

I really don't know what you're trying to prove here.

Last edited:

Uhhhhh..... Yeah?

Xbox one s can upscale Durango Xbone games to 4k and with HDR. Durango Xbone can't do that. It can spend more processing power while still drawing less than the original durango xbone.

Didn't the Mariko switch also get slightly faster Ram? It seemed like a decent upgrade all things considered.
36% more memory bandwidth.

Again, a die shrink incurs a higher clock frequency.

There is a reason for this, going below that is out of one’s own volition.

This is very complicated but in essence when you shrink a chip from one node to a better node what happens is that you increase the density of transistors that are available (not necessarily the amount), and as a result you increase the frequency of the 1 to0 and 0 to1 switching that occurs on the chip itself.

From what I understand of Mariko, its roughly 2x the power of Tegra X1 at same power draw? I never did quite nail down what the diff would (or could) have been. I know its got that faster memory.

I'll tell you what tho, if that is the case, and Nintendo had decided to market it as such, I probably would have been a buyer. (Coming from a launch customer, early-adopter type.) I'd have happily accepted equivalent battery life w/ even that level of power increase. Maybe they could have sweetened the deal with expanded storage since 32gb was giggles even at launch.

When I look at titles like Age of Calamity I always catch myself wishing that Mariko was switch's base spec.

so what are the games that have been leaked to be on this thing?
Star Wars Hunters might be one. Bloomberg reported that Zynga has a devkit. It's their first console game and has a 2022 release date. It's probably not a Drake exclusive but it's interesting that they had a devkit anyway.

Star Wars Hunters might be one. Bloomberg reported that Zynga has a devkit. It's their first console game and has a 2022 release date. It's probably not a Drake exclusive but it's interesting that they had a devkit anyway.
i just know star wars hunters as that game thats been on the coming soon tab for an eternity

Pretty much the only thing we’ve heard is “Sunbreak runs at 60fps” from the mod uncle (?) but even that is far from confirmation.

This may have been part of a state of confusion between people with hacked or hard modded switches, and people who didn't get that's what they were talking about.

Irrc the first rise title Id got modded a couple days after release, to unlock the frame rate and raise the cap to 60. It was basically running at 60fps on an overclocked og switch

cpu=1.7(Max, die in electrical fire if you try for more)
Gpu =.921
mem=1.6

But handheld mode only. I stopped following the progress a while ago though.

I've hard modded Marikos have been tested stable and breezy up to 1.9 Ghz, and up to 2.397 GHz, CPU and 1.3 GHz gpu at your own risk.

And have been made to run games, well, as you would expect them to run on that kind of overclocking, although bandwidth issues still show up.

So when I see people talking about the full powered x1+ in there I think it's about this.

Last edited:
Hm.

Probably dev hell.

That’s not the only game, I remember always seeing a strategy game on the eShop and it was “TBA”, did that ever get released?

It was King’s something
hunters is still there. and yeah there was some medieval looking game there too. its gone now though, like tears in the rain to be revealed as a switch 2 exclusive

Lot of deleted posts..... In our friends thread.....

Does anyone think they can dig a little towards the source to this one with knowledge of who what uncles are and where?(I can't remember lol)

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me how to insert pics here? I use imgur and the image quality is really bad.
Just use the image link and the image tag in the editor then you will get the bigger image also from imgur. Like this:
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

This game is targeting ps5 and XS and the native switch port doesn't look horrible!

Man this is a great example of the diminishing returns era we are entering. To think that is running on a Switch that might be less than 1/4 the power of the one we may get in half a year or so...

I dunno bout ya'll but I'm excited. Any minute now we bout to get an image leak of the shell or some part of this bad boy.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

Well there it is.

it's just new hardware, could be the Nintendo Switch eINK edition or the Switch 2/Pro with the Drake inside.

To weigh odds we'd have to know more about his source. If he just works at the factory, and is kind enough to share, but isn't an enthusiast/doesn't really care, then it could easily wind up hes referring to the eink edition, it is, after all, new switch hardware that's releasing.

Also, is this the first leak of a PS5 Slim? I am sure everyone assumed it would happen eventually, but this seems a little early in the PS5 lifecycle for one.
Scalpers are currently sitting on literally millions of PS5s. If Sony doesn't want those to flood into the market and crush their sales when they can finally get some real supply then they need a new version sooner rather than later.

Man this is a great example of the diminishing returns era we are entering. To think that is running on a Switch that might be less than 1/4 the power of the one we may get in half a year or so...

I dunno bout ya'll but I'm excited. Any minute now we bout to get an image leak of the shell or some part of this bad boy.

I was expecting a bowl of soup but the game runs decent enough and you can see shit! And to your point, there isn't much else to do graphically anymore so Nintendo definitely has time to catch up

Well there it is.

To weigh odds we'd have to know more about his source. If he just works at the factory, and is kind enough to share, but isn't an enthusiast/doesn't really care, then it could easily wind up hes referring to the eink edition, it is, after all, new switch hardware that's releasing.
I think you're both agreeing on the point here, but just to be sure we're all on the same page, "eINK model" was just a joke about how the new hardware could be referring to anything, not that eINK is something that's actually happening for Switch.

I think you're both agreeing on the point here, but just to be sure we're all on the same page, "eINK model" was just a joke about how the new hardware could be referring to anything, not that eINK is something that's actually happening for Switch.

Ha ha ha, I though that's the joke name y'all gave the Splatoon special edition cause of the squids.

Noice, is the source a Funcle or a Muncle, and is one more reliable than the other?
Also, is this the first leak of a PS5 Slim? I am sure everyone assumed it would happen eventually, but this seems a little early in the PS5 lifecycle for one.

Noice, is the source a Funcle or a Muncle, and is one more reliable than the other?
I actually find a slim pretty surprising. There are lots of good reasons to make one, I’m just surprised it’s possible

Maybe. It's certainly possible, though I don't personally think so. My gut says it's another mixup based on most logical assumption, with another system coming up soon.

Lite has the same exact Mariko SOC as v2, capable of 25-30% superior performance over the original switch, it's why it still gets a couple more hours battery life despite having a smaller battery. There would have been zero difference to them looking at components like the soc, which they logically prioritize, from the parts suppliers, which is where they tend to get their upcoming information from. Game and watch has a cortex STM32 while less powerful than the switch is an incredible understatement, its overpowered for a little box that plays an NES game, and has a clock, and whatever else it does. A goofy very Nintendo esque utility I don't think anyone could have seen coming by looking at boxes of parts being shipped and kibitzing about it.

Definitely seems to fit the bill for a casual handheld reminiscent of Nintendo's legacy portables, maybe something like a gba classic, better than calling the soc that is 25-30% more powerful than the handheld that was currently playing doom 2016 and Witcher iii the casual model.

But that's just my interpretation.
The reporting was about a new, cheaper model of Switch releasing in 2019 to act as a successor to the 3DS's market. I don't see how Mochizuki could interpret a supplier telling him 'They're buying STM32H7 chips that are no more powerful than the OG 3DS CPU and have no hardware accelerated graphics*, and obviously are incompatible with Switch software,' as 'Budget Switch coming later this year.' It's far more likely Mochizuki heard not just about the die shrink, but also about the smaller battery, or smaller screen, or the non-detachable controller and smaller shell, et cetera.

Nintendo probably chose that particular chip for the G&W SMB because it was the cheapest**, most easily sourced microcontroller that could handle emulating the NES without even a hint of slowdown. I'm sure they could have managed with an M0+ based chip, based on posts online about people emulating NES on RP Pico, but going with an M7 probably saved more time (and thus money) not having to optimize the software as much as a weaker processor might require, than they would have saved on a slightly cheaper microcontroller. Remember, it was a limited edition release, so saving pennies each unit isn't as important as saving work-weeks of expensive engineering efforts.

*No hardware accelerated graphics in the sense we tend to think of when discussing video game platforms. It does have a display controller of course, and a "graphic oriented memory management unit", as well as a JPEG codec, the latter of which could technically count as it is hardware accelerated and does relate to graphics, but unless they designed the emulator to render the framebuffer as a JPEG file for some god-forsaken reason I doubt the codec was used for anything. I'd guess it's mostly the same NES emulator as they used for the 3DS virtual console (since they're both 32-bit ARM systems, granted one is ARMv6 and the other ARMv7), but that's baseless speculation on my part.

**I couldn't find exact prices, but the STM32H7B0 used in the Game & Watch Super Mario Bros is listed as the most power efficient option in the 'value' section of the line-up, as well as the only 'value' option with the graphics optimized MMU.

Sorry for having such a long response to your rather innocuous theory, I just love geeking over Cortex M and this thread has never given me the chance to do so until now. So. . . Thanks!

PS5 Slim is great news. They can now fix the god awful design, and it'll fit properly in my entertainment unit.

timeline is still up in the air. things happening at factories could be very early, preliminary production & we'll be waiting till BOTW2. still if they're not announcing soon leaks are only going to increase.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom