• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Xenoblade 3 |ST| Σ Become One

Well, I think I'm nearing the end of Chapter 4. I'm about to enter the

Castle, which I'm assuming will be a big, long ending sequence?

Reincarnation/Rebirth was to be expected, but I'm curious what this "Origin" that Flame Clocks/people are tied to is.

And maybe tomorrow I can move on to this mythic Chapter 5 people keep raving about.

Oh, and @bellydrum, I see you recently Yeah'd my theories about the game. I'm very interested to see what pans out :sneaky:

Man, I just came to this thread to post this. In Chapter 5 as well, and this section is so bad it's unreal. We're at the part where the story should be picking up momentum, and we have a completely unnecessary multi-hour diversion like this? With an insufferable new character, who gets the full flashback-backstory treatment? I mean, we even had to go off doing side-quests to gather intel just to get to this diversion. It's all such blatant filler.

Monolith, guys - what the fuck are we even DOING right now? Feels like 80% of this game has been side-character exposition and diversions so far. Absolutely sick of it.
I will not tolerate Ghondor slander

the camera used in voiceless cutscenes really cannot handle Segiri's Ferron

Advanced a lot of the plot in Chapter 5, but didn’t get to the payoffs quite yet - and now have to sleep for super early work tomorrow, blargh. I swear tomorrow night I’ll finally be able to talk more about this Chapter!

I’m on chapter 3 now and man this game really opens up once you get here. The exploration in this area is fantastic as well.

In XC1, Dunban's Talent Art is Blossom Dance, which has him recite a 4 line poem while he attacks:

Tempest Kick and Gale Slash are also Dunban Arts. The voice lines for all of them are seared into my brain lol
Seared into your brain, yet you misremembered a line :p
It's just "Against the odds". There's no 'all'.

I wandered into the hero roster page I kept seeing discussed here and wow that is way worse for guessing silhouettes than just the job icons which are already bad lol.

Very early chapter 6 Mio spoilers

I'm SOOOOOOO glad I could chose to cut her hairs and she returned back to her classic outfit, MoebiusMio looked creepy

I just started Chapter 6 and got in the new area. The only thing I can say about Chapter 5 is
wow
How do you increase Noah's Attacker rank to S? I have max rank in both Ogre and Attacker, but it's still on A.

I believe it is class based not character based. I believe that ranking shows how good a class is in each role.

I have to say, as much as I enjoyed playing the game, the ending wasn't as satisfying as I'd hoped. The DLC story has some explaining to do. Both before and preferably also after the main story.

How do you increase Noah's Attacker rank to S? I have max rank in both Ogre and Attacker, but it's still on A.
Unless you're talking about some post-game thing I'm unaware of, ranks are based purely on class; it's not a stat, it's an in-game provided assessment of that class's attributes. Change it to Ogre, Flash Fencer, etc. and it'll be S.

I'm not even sure the in-game ranks are that useful. Some of the best attacking classes imo have had A ranks.

Every character has a different aptitude for the different classes, you can raise them by a level by wearing an accessory I forgot the name off. I don't think class aptitude actually does anything besides increasing the amount of CP you gain though, but I'm not sure.

I know the game had a strong start in UK and Japan, but how are US sales looking? I read o Era that they weren't looking too hot?

I'm like, 40 hours in. And still at chapter 3 trying to explore everything. Definitely overpowered enough that I dont even want to use bonus exp.

I'm not registered with Install Base as of yet so I cannot read that. John Harker was the user I was thinking of.

So, i was watching a chapter 5 stream and people in chat were speculating that the Expansion Pass' extra story could be the origins of the City and its founders. I'm actually disappointed in myself that i didn't think of that possibility before lol. I'm still at the beginning of chapter 6, but as of right now, this seems to be the most likely option by far (unless they decide to do a Future Connected-like epilogue of course). I don't know if that would be as emotional and rich as Torna was, but it would be certainly interesting

I have to complete the game, but I think a prequel DLC is far more likely than a sequel DLC.

I can already see the "Nintendo is selling the true ending as a DLC" narrative.

So, I have a doubt about the class system.

Does the characters have some intrinsic values that make them better or worse for each class apart from the growing aspect of learning new classes?

Because the game clearly wants to push some of them into an attacking role, others into healers and then the defenders. However, it's not clear if some of them are just better for those roles apart from the mentioned learning process of how fast they can learn those classes or everything is just for the cool cinematics.

What is stranger, is that if there are differences the same game pushes you hard to change classes all the time a character gets to level 10. I mean, I am not that fan of the game pushing me for my attacker to learn a healer class and me needing to change all the party composition just because of that...

With Xenoblade, as usual, there are these systems over systems over more systems and at the end everything makes sense. But at the moment this is utterly confusing to me.

Does the characters have some intrinsic values that make them better or worse for each class apart from the growing aspect of learning new classes?

Because the game clearly wants to push some of them into an attacking role, others into healers and then the defenders. However, it's not clear if some of them are just better for those roles apart from the mentioned learning process of how fast they can learn those classes or everything is just for the cool cinematics.

What is stranger, is that if there are differences the same game pushes you hard to change classes all the time a character gets to level 10. I mean, I am not that fan of the game pushing me for my attacker to learn a healer class and me needing to change all the party composition just because of that...

With Xenoblade, as usual, there are these systems over systems over more systems and at the end everything makes sense. But at the moment this is utterly confusing to me.
I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm early in the game, so I've only unlocked one additional class. I'm guessing it makes more sense and feels less forced as you unlock more classes and therefore have more choice. I'd also wager that the default difficulty is mostly straightforward enough that you don't need to worry about experimenting with classes. Bar a boss enemy that was 2 levels higher than my party, I haven't had difficulty when swapping roles around just yet.

I do wish there was an option to turn on slowdown or pause when swapping party members mid combat, though. Fatigue based chronic condition means that the frenetic encounters can be super hard for my brain to follow and swapping to a different party member because difficult for me to manage, especially because I just forget which Art I want to swap over to use. It'd slow things down, but the option would be nice.

I kind of hope they buff all the healing classes or something. It's not uncommon for people I've watched to run upwards of 4 healers in parties, sometimes even 5. The throughput just isn't good enough for hard mode unless you overlevel, and healers being the only ones capable of ressing (unless you waste an equipment slot) means you're at huge risk of just losing instantly if one dies if you only run 2. I'm sure this resolves itself in the post-game but at that point I usually lose interest because everything is broken in the post-game in Xenoblade games. Just reducing the cooldowns on some of the "off-healer" classes would help a lot, War Medic feels like the only proper healer in the game.

Could also be another problem with hard mode and not using bonus exp and I should have just dropped it down to normal already instead of being stubborn.

From my understanding, each character does have their own set of base stats, but there's not a significant difference between them. So you might get slightly better use out of say, Noah in an Attacker class compared to Taion, but it's not going to matter much in most cases.

As the game progresses, the Class Inheritor system, where one of the party inherits a Hero's class immediately, pushes you to diversify what roles each character is using. Ultimately, at least so far for me, how good a character is in a given class is primarily determined by what Master Skills and Arts they have unlocked

I'm starting chapter 4 right now, level 36 after 30 hours. I've done all the available hero quests and a pretty decent amount of side quests. I checked the class menu, there are only 5 tanks in the game and I already have 3. It's weird, especially when the game starts with 2dps/2tanks/2healers. Maybe some classes are hidden/locked and not shown in the menu yet ?

Because the game clearly wants to push some of them into an attacking role, others into healers and then the defenders.
Yes and no. Each new class you receive has a designated "starting character", and that class is usually wildly different than their starting one. For example, early on Lanz gets a Healer class, Eunie an Attacker class, etc. To unlock that class for other characters, you have to use it long enough on the starting character, so you are "forced" to use all sort of class types on all characters.

With that said, from what I read each character does actually have slightly different stats even when in the same class with the same class level. For example, Mio has higher agility than other characters when in a similar situation. The class is still by far the most important thing for stats (Zephyr Lanz has a lot more agility than Ogre Mio), and in normal play the characters stats difference is pretty irrelevant. They are there, but not worth spending attention on unless you feel like you have to squeak every bit of performance from your characters for some reasons.

I kind of hope they buff all the healing classes or something. It's not uncommon for people I've watched to run upwards of 4 healers in parties, sometimes even 5. The throughput just isn't good enough for hard mode unless you overlevel, and healers being the only ones capable of ressing (unless you waste an equipment slot) means you're at huge risk of just losing instantly if one dies if you only run 2. I'm sure this resolves itself in the post-game but at that point I usually lose interest because everything is broken in the post-game in Xenoblade games. Just reducing the cooldowns on some of the "off-healer" classes would help a lot, War Medic feels like the only proper healer in the game.

Could also be another problem with hard mode and not using bonus exp and I should have just dropped it down to normal already instead of being stubborn.
I don't think I've ever used four healers. Two healers has been pretty fine for me on hard mode for just about everything within 5 levels. Most of the classes can be a bit tricky to learn though, and the AI isn't the best at using them well; knowing when to control a healer yourself is a bit of a skill.

Another thing to take advantage of (though the game probably is giving it to you by default) is Multi Blast; you get it as a master art just by unlocking War Medic, and since the majority of healing classes are Agnian, you get an extra healing art for free. This helps offset the fact that those healers aren't as good at pure healing. I personally prefer to pair it with a non healing art.

There's other small things too, of course. If you're running a Thaumaturge, you should make sure your party is set up for frequent Daze combos to take advantage of that huge Burst heal. Interlinking Eunie is a strong back pocket extra healer that shouldn't be forgotten (that you need to remember to be proactive with, due to the long startup time), as well as level 2/3 interlinks by anyone with a healing role. Once you have all the combat mechanics after chapter 3, fully healing the party (or close enough) during a chain attack is trivial just by using a healing art or two every order - and you don't even need to sacrifice damage thanks to their 99% limit.

Large groups of enemies can still prove to be an issue, but I've realized that you can often just interlink super early to take a few out fast, and then it's smooth sailing. You can even interlink with all three pairs, and you're not wasting levels if you do it at the start because no one built up interlink levels yet anyway.

Damage over time debuffs - especially ones from AOE arts - will also make your healing feel inadequate if you're not running Cure Bullet (War Medic) or Leaping Current (Thaumaturge). I'm unsure if the last two healers get something similar, but right now running one and especially two of those classes is night and day in certain boss fights over other healers. Watch out for pink health bars, as that means the character was inflicted with one of these.

Just because two classes have different roles doesn't mean they don't benefit from cross-classing. For example, Tactician has the Master skill Ethereal Ability, which is useful on certain Attacker classes because it increases ether damage. It's helpful if Taion ever becomes one of those classes, but if you have a different Attacker, letting them have Tactician experience will pay off later.

Finished Chapter 3 yesterday.

I'm Fully invested now... Time to return to older colonies and see if there is any change.

Just to sum up what everyone's telling you in one post: yes, there are differences, but no, you don't really need to worry about them - and each character might not be the best at what it feels like the game is pushing. Taion, for example, is an ideal attacker if you're min-maxing. But I don't recommend looking at every number so closely to the point that you feel a need to keep him as an attacker as much as possible; at the end of the day, the classes themselves provide most of the actual stats.

The real reason you're encouraged to keep changing classes isn't to get everyone in their best role (which is the starting role for most characters), but for master arts/skills. The more classes you have each character use, the more options they have available to them. While many master arts and skills are most helpful for their role, some are better for different roles or even role agnostic. For example, the first defender hero you can get has a topple art as its rank 10 master art; that's pretty useful regardless of your actual role. The Tactician's rank 5 skill is an ether attack bonus, and there are attacker classes that are ether based. Where I'm at, I have a few characters that can have break, topple, and daze by themselves thanks to master arts.

I think I might hit 100 hours before actually finishing the game. I am on the verge of triggering the final section, but I spent the last six hours wrapping up tons of sidequests and I still have a lot of Ascension Quests to do.

What a game.

Got through the end of chapter 5 and half of chapter 6 last night. Seen enough now to know that this story just ain't for me. Not even close. I'll see it through to the end, but what a disappointment after XC, XCX and XC2. I'm sure I'll have a good time wandering the world and cleaning up named monsters post-game.

End Chapter 5 spoilers:
When N and M finally appear again, and then we have to suffer two wholly and completely insufferable little girls - whom we've only just been introduced to - shouting at each other in the most melodramantic way while the whole world just seems to stop to let them have their bullshit argument - sorry, you've lost me for good. Then when the NPC bodyguards of the little girl get their own sacrifice moment in the cutscene? I was legit laughing at the screen. Totally checked out. Where is the fucking editor here? 50% of every cutscene should have been cut.

The Noah and Mio personal relationship arc continues to be strong - it's the best part of the game - but there's still not a single reveal as to who Mobius are, why any of this is happening etc. It was the central mystery of the plot and the game seems determined not to give any of it away until the last cut-scene, apparently. It makes the endless cutaways to mustache-twirling villains in a theatre or wherever very, very dull.

EDIT: And copying the most-meme'd upon romance in movie history (Anakin and Padme) straight up as a plot point is... a choice. Literally went and slaughtered the younglings in the city. Totally unbelievable that M would stay with N through that.

Oh well. Almost done.

Last edited:

There appears to be a percentage difference between characters for attack, agility, healing and dexterity.
See:

And

The difference will obviously be marginal at low levels. Whether it matters on a higher level is to to you.

One thing that I really appreciated doing some hero quests is discovering Mobius aren't a monolithic group of super villains

Chapter 5 side content spoilers

Colony Mu and Colony 15 were the best side quests in the game so far

I'm not registered with Install Base as of yet so I cannot read that. John Harker was the user I was thinking of.
the post in question: Chris:
Ignoring nobody has a clue for the exact digital sales of Xenoblade 3 or any Switch game based on some "average" if Harker really said Triangle Strategy was outperforming Octopath Traveler based on NPD early data again there's nothing to see here except asking for another potential backfire.

He was also trying to apply a universal very low digital ratio for Switch games at its early years based on Ubisoft titles digital performance and he turned out wrong there too.

Was originally planning to write this down when I finished but I may as well as get it down now:
Can't say I liked how D was handled. They were definitely trying to make him into Metal Face 2.0, but neglected to account for the differences in how this game is written versus XC1.

Metal Face got a lot of focus in the first half, then got soundly defeated after getting the Monado II to make way for bigger and better villains. D shows up three times spread throughout, and by the time he actually dies he's old news; you've already taken down plenty of Moebius at this point. He doesn't have the focused presence to make him noteworthy.

The other factor is that Metal Face and Xord serve as the "Faces" of the Mechon, and compared to the Faceless units that have been pouring in, their scenery chewing stands out a lot. D is only one of multiple Moebius, so he just doesn't have the room to stand out, no matter how many French phrases he uses. And, of course, Metal Face did his schtick first, so even if they pulled D off properly, he was never going to reach the same heights.

I also don't get why they introduced him Interlinked with J instead saving that for Chapter 4 or Chapter 6. It doesn't serve much of a purpose besides muddying the escalation of enemy strength. I guess they wanted to save the reveal of J's standard Moebius form until Chapter 6? Who knows.

Last edited:
I'm like, 40 hours in. And still at chapter 3 trying to explore everything. Definitely overpowered enough that I dont even want to use bonus exp.
me too 43h and went to do some quests, haven't started the main story of chapter 3. I have a feeling this is gonna take me a while, and that is awesome

So, thinking about DLC, there seem to be 3 main areas of the story that are ripe for being expanded upon:
  1. What happened between the end of 1/FC & 2 and the beginning of 3
  2. The founding of the City, which is implied to have involved either the main cast of 1 and 2 and/or people close to them
  3. What the spark happens after that ending

#1 I think will probably be addressed in the DLC story regardless of what direction they go. Either #2 or #3 (but probably not both) will probably be the main focus of the DLC story, with #2 being conceivably addressable by the DLC heroes if the story doesn't deal with it. It's entirely possible that either #2 or #3 will go unaddressed, with the former being potentially just some meta references and the latter being potential sequel bait, but probably not both.

I have no expectation of any story arising from the challenge mode, but cameos again (from X and potentially saga) seems reasonable.

Was originally planning to write this down when I finished but I may as well as get it down now:
Can't say I liked how D was handled. They were definitely trying to make him into Metal Face 2.0, but neglected to account for the differences in how this game is written versus XC1.

Metal Face got a lot of focus in the first half, then got soundly defeated after getting the Monado II to make way for bigger and better villains. D shows up three times spread throughout, and by the time he actually dies he's old news; you've already taken down plenty of Moebius at this point. He doesn't have the focused presence to make him noteworthy.

The other factor is that Metal Face and Xord serve as the "Faces" of the Mechon, and compared to the Faceless units that have been pouring in, their scenery chewing stands out a lot. D is only one of multiple Moebius, so he just doesn't have the room to stand out, no matter how many French phrases he uses. And, of course, Metal Face did his schtick first, so even if they pulled D off properly, he was never going to reach the same heights.

I also don't get why they introduced him Interlinked with J instead saving that for Chapter 4 or Chapter 6. It doesn't serve much of a purpose besides muddying the escalation of enemy strength. I guess they wanted to save the reveal of J's standard Moebius form until Chapter 6? Who knows.
Im glad we at least found out who D was, but yeah he pretty much boiled down to a MF/Mumkhar reference lol. Even down to his claw weapon

Back
Top Bottom