• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet |ST| Who You Callin' Paldea, Friend?

Protip: don't bother taking the classes

not actually a protip because you do get some stuff from completing them but I still maintain the classes thing was not particularly well thought out

The whole school theme seems useless at this point, kind of disappointing.

Incredible. I just decided to start scouting the Charizard fight solo. Got destroyed my first two attempts with my Koraidon (it's weak to Dragon and Flying after all) and then on the third attempt the game bugged and I beat it! So damn lucky. Still haven't had to playing online yet, lol.

What happened was that Charizard used a move that took Koraidon down to 93 hp, but the fainting animation played. But I could still select a move despite the revive timer being active. Then when the timer ran out, Koraidon came back out and I was able to select two moves per turn - and Charizard could attack me twice per turn. This actually played in my favour, as my damage output (the important part) was doubled. A few dragon claws later and he was down. It did require him missing on Hurricane twice, too.

Amazing.
Are there not side quests you get from taking them? That was why I thought you had to do them.
Not really. If you haven't figured out the four legendary shrines you will get map markers pointing to them - so that's kind of a side quest. I'd already done it though.

Most important reason to do them is a gift Galarian Meowth who is extremely handy for raiding.

Are there not side quests you get from taking them? That was why I thought you had to do them.
Nope, other than getting some locations marked on your map that you can find by yourself anyway. There's some fun character stuff there, but nothing too substantial. I would recommend popping back to do a few at a time here and there, because if you do them all at once when they're available it gets pretty repetitive.

Before you train anything up you should read these:
For Azumarill you're going to want to run something like:

Azumarill @ Shell Bell or Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
Tera Type: Fairy
  • Belly Drum
  • Play Rough
  • Light Screen
  • Helping Hand
Awesome, I’ll have a look at these: thanks so much

The whole school theme seems useless at this point, kind of disappointing.
Some of the classes (like Maths) seem like an interesting way to teach the fundamentals of competitive battling to the game's target audience, but if that was their intent I don't think the execution lives up to the idea.

Nope, other than getting some locations marked on your map that you can find by yourself anyway. There's some fun character stuff there, but nothing too substantial. I would recommend popping back to do a few at a time here and there, because if you do them all at once when they're available it gets pretty repetitive.
Yeah you're supposed to come back and do them throughout the game, if you keep up it will give you a notification that tells you when new ones are available after completing a number of objectives.

Anyone have an extra Quaxly / Sprigatitto? I don't have much at all to trade...kind of hoping someone has a ton that they'd be willing to give, lol

Anyone have an extra Quaxly / Sprigatitto? I don't have much at all to trade...kind of hoping someone has a ton that they'd be willing to give, lol
I got you, have plenty of both. I'll be on for the next 10 minutes. Reply with your link code and I'll join up.

And that’s the end! Great game, even with some issues obviously. Top… 3, I think, Pokémon game for me? I’ll have to think about it, but I liked it quite a bit more than Sw/Sh for sure. The plot and writing especially near the end were miles better than that game.

There’s a lot they could do for a big DLC expansion, too, so I’m looking forward to whatever they come up with. And while there’s tons of improvements they could make, I’m pretty optimistic about the future of the series.

Finished the three main storylines in Scarlet, so I consider it to be finished.
myipg.png

Finished the three main storylines in Scarlet, so I consider it to be finished.
myipg.png
mmmmmm keep going if you haven’t yet

completing the three storylines leads to the final one

you’ll know it’s the end

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I want to resell the game, but I also don't want to lose my shinies.
Seriously, it sucks that Pokémon Home connection won't be here until spring lol.
I don't think you need to have the game itself to use Home? Might be wrong here because all my pokemon games on Switch are digital so they're always available, but you can just keep the save on your Switch, sell the game, then in Spring move them to Home.

I don't think you need to have the game itself to use Home? Might be wrong here because all my pokemon games on Switch are digital so they're always available, but you can just keep the save on your Switch, sell the game, then in Spring move them to Home.
I think this only works when your save file is on the latest version (or at least on the version in which Home connectivity was added).
Yesterday, I tried to move some Pokémon from my Sword file to Home and the app said that I need to update the game (which I couldn't because I sold the game a few years ago). I fear the same will happen with my Violet file.

I think this only works when your save file is on the latest version (or at least on the version in which Home connectivity was added).
Yesterday, I tried to move some Pokémon from my Sword file to Home and the app said that I need to update the game (which I couldn't because I sold the game a few years ago). I fear the same will happen with my Violet file.
Huh, I didn't know this. I guess it makes sense, since it's the game the one that updates the save file so Home can read it. It's still unfortunate, though.

Herba Mystica odds are so bad. 3 hours of raiding and I've only gotten 1.

Also, why are there so many Florges and mimikyu raids? I also can't tell the difference between the different color raids. Some 4 star raids are blue stars and have a gold background. It's weird. I'm sure there is a simple answer but it's just weird.
The raids with the cone of light around the den and the blue stars are event raids. This game very explicitly distinguishes them.

Also FYI, none of the current event raids can even drop Herba Mysticas, which is something I really hope changes in the future.

As I sit here with two gyms, two bases, and two titans left to clear, it's hitting me that Quaraval is actually my least favorite of the starters and I've only been using it is because I originally went with Quaxly

I guess Meowscarada is my starter now lmao. That one has grown on me a ton lately, I like it alot

The school uniform looks better in Scarlet, which I didn't expect. It looks kinda weird on the other characters like Arven but on the player character it is much more pleasing imo. Also, while I do think performance seems improved as of the latest patch, on a new save on Scarlet I did get that bug where the world gets culled and draws in again after throwing a Pokeball, right in the first town before Megasoza. 😩

You can update the game without having the cartridge as long as you didn't delete the icon from your library. Just press plus on the icon and go to software updates.

Did you roll credits? The end of the game is after those.

mmmmmm keep going if you haven’t yet

completing the three storylines leads to the final one

you’ll know it’s the end
I wasn't going to, but then I had plenty of time left over last night and decided to barrel through that content anyway. Credits did indeed roll. Now I can rest for a bit. Maybe until we hear what their plans are.

"Hey, what moves should we give Meowscarada?"

"Well, it's a physical attacker, so..."

"Let's give it Aura Sphere and Chilling Water. Also, Power Gem."

"Absolutely."

Lookin' like a Gen 1 Normal type out here. You crazy, Game Freak. I might run a mixed set for the story because I can.

EDIT: On second thought, I guess they loaded it up with random stuff for Protean shenanigans. But that still doesn't do anything about its stats...

Was farming Bronzongs by Throat Chopping them with Lokix and I thought how funny would it be if every time I Throat Chop a Bronzong it made a bong sound, like

Throat Chop BONGGGGGG
Throat Chop BONGGGGGG
Throat Chop BONGGGGGG

Playing Violet, I beat the final boss's ace by one-shotting it with a crit gigaton hammer from Tinkaton, lol. Who would win? A robotic super-powered Gallade from the future with a badass dual-blade that's like 7 levels above me? Or a cute little HAMMER FAIRY

Tinkaton has seriously grown on me, it's just so much fun to smash things in the face with gigaton hammer.

All right, I’m finally getting back to both this game and the main storyline… unfortunately it wasn’t the best return after having a pretty solid experience just catching Pokemon my last few sessions. I did my first Team Star base (fire) and the auto battle part was pretty underwhelming. Then I went onto my third gym and Levincia was a hooot mess performance wise. Luckily the gym challenge was super cute, I enjoyed it.

Anyway, back off into the wild, where the game shines best!

Tinkaton has seriously grown on me, it's just so much fun to smash things in the face with gigaton hammer.
I didn't like Tinkatink at all when I first saw it, but man, she gets a heck of a glow-up. Love Tinkaton, such a cool design

My only complaint is that her attack stat is piddly to make up for how powerful Gigaton Hammer is. Makes her a bit of a one-trick pony, but at least she has a godly defensive typing

I didn't like Tinkatink at all when I first saw it, but man, she gets a heck of a glow-up. Love Tinkaton, such a cool design

My only complaint is that her attack stat is piddly to make up for how powerful Gigaton Hammer is. Makes her a bit of a one-trick pony, but at least she has a godly defensive typing
Yeah, I was similar in feeling like she'd be underpowered at first. But she's very tanky, so while her attack is very medium outside of the hammer, she's still pretty fun to play with and has good utility.

Okay, I was laughing for two minutes straight when my Dunsparce evolved (I still can't believe I'm saying these words), and now I find out there's apparently a Dudunsparce that is the same but longer? lol this is perfection, I love it.

How viable is Dudunsparce? Please be a killing machine

Well, endgame and postgame done. Nice final act, though I expected a little more after reading so many folks hype it up. Still, it was solid, but I found it in line with PLA's writing (which is perfectly ok to me). The characters end up making the endgame way more enjoyable, At first I thought that the quartet's dynamic would have felt forced without previous interaction, but seeing them play off each other felt quite natural, almost like they got themselves a couple of strong new friendships out of their short (and crazy) Area Zero trip. Well, it's kind of the biggest theme of the game after all (repeated ad nauseam lmao), while also showing (once again) that the games are in dire need of VA. Curious if they'll build on the ending for an eventual DLC, 'cause it sure leaves a couple of open doors.

Technical flaws and weaker areas aside, I definitely enjoyed my time with SV. I can't shake the feeling that it's fantastic to know that mainline pokémon is now big, expansive, open environments. A perfect fit for the series in my eyes (which elevates SV above most of its predecessors).

It is also a little early to tell, but, without taking away from Gen 9! I believe that PLA is still Game Freak's best 3D game (and one of their best games overall). Just a more accomplished endeavor in most ways.

Last edited:
My wife and I have been playing pretty much continuously since the game came out, and can't get enough. I think it's the first time she will finish the pokedex since it's so fun to run around the world. The designs are generally great, and the raids are fun to mess around with. Overall, very fun game.

I feel like every game lately is setting up "how can we do a prequel?" like in PLA. In this game, I'm now wondering what exactly the original explorers were finding, and how, in area zero since all of the future/past pokemon that were found there in this game were due to the professor's time machine. I mean, I know it's probably just like wormhole shenanigans or something, a la ORAS, but I'm still curious.

Sheesh. I played a ton of this this weekend. I am really enjoying it. I am finding myself a bit OP from various exploring but I am not too bothered by it. The story is still absolutely whatever for me but I don’t think I’ve ever felt as compelled to flesh out my Pokédex like I do here in a mainline game. I am roughly 17 hours in and have about 135 captured Pokémon. I literally think I only caught like 40 in Shining Pearl, lol.

You can update the game without having the cartridge as long as you didn't delete the icon from your library. Just press plus on the icon and go to software updates.
Updating the game without the game card actually worked, but...
"Please update Pokémon Sword to the latest version and save the game."
:(
Oh well, Goomy is the only shiny that I actually like, so whatever...

I'm going crazy waiting for a certain Area Zero pokemon to spawn!!!
I even caught a shiny Venomot while wandering around, just waiting for the mon to appear.. it's too bad they don't let you picnic in that location + theres no map for easy access either.

Back
Top Bottom