• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet |ST| Who You Callin' Paldea, Friend?

Clavell/Clive is honestly one of, if not my favorite characters in the series. Just an all around fun and surprisingly heartwarming character

Skeledirge makes the ice gym a complete joke. Four Pokémon, four OHKOs. The Alteria probably wouldn’t have been a OHKO but Torch Song had boosted my SpAtk three times by the point. That move is kinda busted honestly.

Not sure where to go next. I’ve got one gym left obviously, the False Dragon Titan left, and the Fairy and Fighting bases left. None of them seems like good matchups for my mains. I guess I’ll have to maybe do some swapping around to find something that’s gonna work.

Larry is GF friendly-mocking us who started playing these games back on the Gameboy.

And i'm all here for it. Gimme a Larry spin-off.

Make it a Persona-like game, half part work/social stuff (like the school and stuff from Persona), and half part JRPG dungeon crawler.
Make it happen GF I am BEGGING,

I hope for the holiday den they escalate from Sword and Shield and do Delibird the Unrivaled 7 star raids.

There's a question in the Battle Studies final about how to get LP, where one of the actions is "hack the system". I like to think Clavell put that in to mess with Penny

Finally grabbed this. I don’t have much to say that hasn’t already been said, but I will note two things:
  • The UI can’t have been the final design. So much of it is just black boxes set to 40% opacity. Of all the upgrades the GBA brought to gen 3 I remember the first time I saw the health bars of all things and thought ‘oh, this is nice’.
  • Not Pokemon’s fault, but I am officially over piano music complementing grassy open world games. Especially for a series with consistently good and varied music to have a short piano loop playing nonstop is really disappointing. Hoping it changes as you move throughout the region.
All in all, it’s okay. Even with patches I don’t know how I would feel about the game.

Okay, all bases, titans, and gyms are down!

The performance tanks hard in the northern parts of the map. The fairy base was moving in actual, literal slow-motion. The area around the fighting base isn’t any better. Also, word of warning to people who don’t wanna be disappointed by the eighth gym - the ghost gym is not the eighth gym. What a letdown that fight was.

I think I can feel myself starting to get tired of the game. It’s fun, but I’m ready for it to be over. I don’t think I’ll stick around to finish the dex.

the ghost gym is not the eighth gym
I actually still don't know what the supposed order is. How did you fine folks progress through the game? As for me:

Gyms: Grass, Bug, Water, Electric, Normal, Ice, Ghost, Psychic

Titans: Bombirdier, Klawf, Huge Tusk, Orthworm, Tatsugiri

Team Star: Fire, Poison, Dark, Fairy, Fighting

I actually still don't know what the supposed order is. How did you fine folks progress through the game? As for me:

Gyms: Grass, Bug, Water, Electric, Normal, Ice, Ghost, Psychic

Titans: Bombirdier, Klawf, Huge Tusk, Orthworm, Tatsugiri

Team Star: Fire, Poison, Dark, Fairy, Fighting
I did:

Gyms:
Grass, Bug, Electric, Water, Normal, Psychic, Ghost, Ice

Titans:
Klawf, Bombirdier, Iron Treads, Orthworm, Tatsugiri/Dodonzo

Team Star:
Fire, Dark, Poison, Fairy, Fighting

I completed the main storyline and am now in the post-game. Will probably try to get the basic requirements done asap so that I can have a shot at the Charizard raids. As for the order of what I did...

Gyms:
Bug, Grass, Water, Electric, Normal, Psychic, Ghost, Ice
Titans:
Klawf, Bombirdier, Orthworm, Iron Treads, Tatsugiri
Team Star:
Fire, Dark, Poison, Fairy, Fighting

Guess I'm very similar to @Niraj in how we approach the game!

I completed the Titans and Team Star story before the last two gyms to the north. After surviving the final Team Star camp, the last two gyms were easy. The FINAL battle for the Champion route was a different matter though.

Gym tests and the raid crap in this game are straight up embarrassing. What the hell were they thinking? They are the most shallow, mindless, amateurish segments I’ve ever played in a game. Almost anything gameplay wise except for battles is utter shite.

Not Pokemon’s fault, but I am officially over piano music complementing grassy open world games. Especially for a series with consistently good and varied music to have a short piano loop playing nonstop is really disappointing. Hoping it changes as you move throughout the region.
It does change, but it's basically only 4 themes with a couple variations each. Music has been bit of a disappointment to me in this game, I don't know why they decided to use so few pieces. In comparison, Legends is a smaller game if you patch together all its areas, but has 10 different pieces against SV's 4. It's weird. It's the first time I'm annoyed by the music in a Pokémon game, as good as the inidividual pieces are, they play far too much.

So ... does that Ice/Dragon pseudo-legendary have a super low spawn chance or what? I've been running around the snow area since friday now and never seen one, just on the map the icon that says "it can be found here".

I think i have all other mons from there, including evolutions ... but i want that ice/dragon.

So the order I went was

1) Bug Gym
2) Klawf
3) Grass Gym
4) Fire Base
5) Electric Gym
6) Orthworm
7) Poison Base
8) Bombirdier
9) Dark Base
10) Water Gym
11) Normal Gym
12) Earth Titan
13) Psychic Gym
14) Ice Gym
15) False Dragon Titan
16) Fairy Base
17) Ghost Gym
18) Fighting Base

I think I went in the “intended” order most of the way, but I did Fire, Poison, Psychic, Orthworm, and Ice early. The only actually challenging fights were Poison and Fighting. Everything else was a cakewalk.

Wait, the Psychic gym isn't supposed to be the last one? Hahaha oh wow, someone's getting destroyed soon then. Sorry Miss Psychic Gym Leader.

I found it near the Pokemon Center that's in the icy mountain. Not the ones near the gyms, the one that's really in the mountain.

No chance, neither inside the mountain caves nor on the outside ... i have a few issues with the overworld Pokemon, and those partially super-low spawn chances are one of them.

The other is how wild Pokemon almost siege you during wild or trainer battles ... no i do not enjoy being immediately triggered into a battle with whatever mon directly after i finished a battle.

No chance, neither inside the mountain caves nor on the outside
Very odd. I had no issues with the spawn rates in this game. Frigibax in particular didn’t seem like it would have a low encounter rate, I saw a bunch of them walking around the Center the first time I got there.

how wild Pokemon almost siege you during wild or trainer battles ... no i do not enjoy being immediately trigg
Yeah that is annoying, if you’re gonna have them attack one after another might as well plunge me straight into a horde battle

Introducing Horde battles! Take on up to seven wild Pokemon at once as the framerate drops to a frankly astonishing 4fps!

Introducing Horde battles! Take on up to seven wild Pokemon at once as the framerate drops to a frankly astonishing 4fps!

I mean, wild pokémon not involved in the battle still show up, animate and even make sounds, so having them participate in the battle wouldn't affect performance much.

I thought that decision was a huge waste of resources, by the way. It would be perfectly fine to have other pokémon disappear when in battle, would be better even because sometimes the battle happens among a cluster of pokémon who are just casually strolling around between the attacks and it doesn't look good or natural. And the game could certianly use the performance save, battles run extremely slow.

So ... does that Ice/Dragon pseudo-legendary have a super low spawn chance or what? I've been running around the snow area since friday now and never seen one, just on the map the icon that says "it can be found here".

I think i have all other mons from there, including evolutions ... but i want that ice/dragon.

I found one by pure chance in the cave that gives access to Glaseado Mountain, right after the threeway fork with a Pokémon Center.

Initially I thought it was a Gible, and I wasn't expecting another dragon in the game cause I thought Tashigiri was the pseudo legendary, so I'm glad I checked more closely! He seems to be quite rare because it was the only I've seen so far.

Rolled credits this weekend with a beast of a team - Tinkaton (massive MVP with Play Rough and Thunder Wave and Gigaton Hammer), Gyarados (Waterfall and Ice Fang were the MVP's), Dragonite (Thunder Punch, Flamethrower, and Outrage - kind of a wildcard Pokemon), Staraptor (my fighting / flying Pokemon. Close Combat was the best addition to the move set), Skeledirge (Torch Song, super OP), and Annihilape (Shadow Claw, I believe, and Earthquake).

Probably gonna roll with this team for the post-game content.

Last edited:
went back to the academy to do some of the classes and finally got around to reading the violet/scarlet book
i still haven't gotten to area zero but anything on the dlc that let's us see the paldean expedition would be cool. could make some gnarly darker pokemon moments

I was flying over the lake and....a red gyrados appeared. Named it Rage. So now I have two shiny mareep and a shiny gyrados. I am probably spelling the name wrong but ya get the picture.

Arven went down no problem, but Clavell was something else. He was the first properly hard fight in the game. His stupid duck wrecked my team over and over again before I decided I just needed levels. After grinding for a bit, everyone was three or four levels higher. I tried again, and this time it took two attempts but I finally took down the duck.

I don’t like the duck. It’s a nightmare for my team, and it looks very silly.

Having a lot of fun continuing to take this game at an easy pace.

Just made it to Cascaraffa and whew, after being unimpressed with the city on the right hand side of the map for being a technical mess this was a relief! Pretty cool layout and I continue to be impressed seeing how they translate ideas from the top down games into 3D. The 3 tier approach of the city with elevators is real nice.

I’m a bit overleveled since I spent time catching/lbattling over on the right side of the map rather than taking what seems to be the “ideal path” and ping ponging, but a quick change of the party will remedy that easy. I actually like how flexible they are with it to encourage that… here for a good time not a short time.

Let alone that the reccomendations at the pokemart seem to be more proximity based anyway, since her recommendation changed when I moved across the map lol.

I'm about to finish the Stardust route (last one for me, already cleared the gyms and the titans) and there i have two main feelings regarding this game:

1.-) It's probably my favorite Pokémon game since 4th gen

2.-) Had it been more polished, we would be talking about the best/most groundbreaking mainline Pokémon game since GSC

It's not perfect, but there isn't a perfect Pokémon game. Story doesn't overstay its welcome, you're not assaulted by cutscenes everywhere, and characters are simple but charming (Also the Stardust route is surprisingly heavy, and for someone who was bullied at school for years, very touching).

The world is fun to explore, and i got surprised by finding caves that evolved into mini-dungeons if you venture deep enough, it's a shame that Koraidon's abilities end up making everything trivial, i'm forcing myself to not use them at this point to keep enjoying it (Kinda like getting the Skell's flying ability in Xenoblade X)

Also, Koraidon being a goofy puppy has made him my favorite box legendary Pokémon ever, much better than the usual demigods. I got seriously attached to him.

Looking forward to the final stretch. For now, i'm sure i'll be playing this game way more than Sword.

I finally found the pseudo-legendary dragon! I ran around that Pokecenter @meatbag said they found it there for 40 minutes and finally one spawned.

Shitty nature, but it's both female and i have enough Dittos ... i'm just happy to finally have it and can move on.

Arven went down no problem, but Clavell was something else. He was the first properly hard fight in the game. His stupid duck wrecked my team over and over again before I decided I just needed levels. After grinding for a bit, everyone was three or four levels higher. I tried again, and this time it took two attempts but I finally took down the duck.

I don’t like the duck. It’s a nightmare for my team, and it looks very silly.

Slowbro / any sturdy psychic type is your friend for the duck. ^^

Or something that's faster and can straight up OHKO it. Shouldn't be too difficult as duck's Spd stat is seriously lacking (max 295 with a Spd-boosting nature).
That's why they gave it a signature move that raises it's speed.

Kilowattrel should have no problems with it, for example.

I'm about to finish the Stardust route (last one for me, already cleared the gyms and the titans) and there i have two main feelings regarding this game:

1.-) It's probably my favorite Pokémon game since 4th gen

2.-) Had it been more polished, we would be talking about the best/most groundbreaking mainline Pokémon game since GSC

It's not perfect, but there isn't a perfect Pokémon game. Story doesn't overstay its welcome, you're not assaulted by cutscenes everywhere, and characters are simple but charming (Also the Stardust route is surprisingly heavy, and for someone who was bullied at school for years, very touching).

The world is fun to explore, and i got surprised by finding caves that evolved into mini-dungeons if you venture deep enough, it's a shame that Koraidon's abilities end up making everything trivial, i'm forcing myself to not use them at this point to keep enjoying it (Kinda like getting the Skell's flying ability in Xenoblade X)

Also, Koraidon being a goofy puppy has made him my favorite box legendary Pokémon ever, much better than the usual demigods. I got seriously attached to him.

Looking forward to the final stretch. For now, i'm sure i'll be playing this game way more than Sword.

I agree with all your points.

I hadn't realized until now how much I'm enjoying the story, how unintrusive it is, and how much the characters are likeable, respectful of my time and space, and dont make me feel like killing them with a chainsaw everytime they show up so they don't bury me with 30 boxes of stupid dialogue.

It's a good feeling.

Last edited:
Alright rolled credits! Feeling a bit burnt out but maybe that's because I played so much yesterday in order to get to that point. Not sure if I'll go for finishing the dex at this point, but we'll see

I'm like, weirdly impressed with the writing and story in this game. Obviously it's still Pokémon and a kid's game, but it's surprisingly solid, competently told, and unlike most games in the series, doesn't treat you like an idiot. The characters all feel human and believable. Maybe my expectations were just low, because Pokemon, but it's nice to see

Area Zero is pretty cool but a little less exciting to explore the first time without Koraidon

I knew about the AI twist but was expecting it to be a straightforward case of evil AI, so the direction they took instead actually surprised me. Sada's a pretty interesting antagonist, and manages to be many times more compelling than Rose from SwSh despite being dead from the moment the story started

I for real shed a tear at the end of Arven's storyline when Mabosstiff got up. I was so scared he was gonna die, he's such a good boy.

Very few games have made me cry, I never would have imagine one of them would be Pokémon.

Last edited:
All three storylines are complete! Now on to Area Zero! I’m surprisingly really enjoying the stories and the characters, which is shocking for a Pokémon game. But good grief do we need voice acting.. at least for the cutscenes!

Skeledirge is completely broken in this game, because Torch Song swept basically the entire Elite 4, Penny, and Nemona. 😅

So, finished the school classes and the "social links" save for Home EC one (need to get the item for it first) and the biology one (i'm working on it, okay?).
Ready to take on the last parts of the three stories over the next few days, starting with the last Titan tonight.

Trained the pseudo legendary to it's final evolution. Baxcalibur, kinda looks familiar for fans of movies, no?

Therefor, i gave it a nickname .... i named it ... Godchilla! Get it? Because it looks like Godzilla and is an Ice Pokemon!

somebody-stop-me-the-mask.gif

J/K, you cannot stop me.

So, finished the school classes and the "social links" save for Home EC one (need to get the item for it first) and the biology one (i'm working on it, okay?).
Ready to take on the last parts of the three stories over the next few days, starting with the last Titan tonight.

Trained the pseudo legendary to it's final evolution. Baxcalibur, kinda looks familiar for fans of movies, no?

Therefor, i gave it a nickname .... i named it ... Godchilla! Get it? Because it looks like Godzilla and is an Ice Pokemon!

somebody-stop-me-the-mask.gif

J/K, you cannot stop me.
Baxcalibur's signature move animation is also a direct reference to the Big G as well.

From Godzilla vs. Hedorah (a wild environmental film):

I for real shed a tear at the end of Arven's storyline when Mabosstiff got up. I was so sacred he was gonna die, he's such a good boy.

Very few games have made me cry, I never would have imagine one of them would be Pokémon.
Same here. Frankly, the more simple, mundane stories just work better

Online tera raids are still a mess. It looks like we're about to win easy, removing the pokemon's health super fast and then we can't attack for like 2 minutes straight and the time runs out. It's so weird.

Doesn't seem like the trade thread here is too active, so figured I would check here too. Is there anyone who would be willing to trade me Koraidon for Miraidon? It can be a trade back situation as well, that's fine with me.

Still leisurely making my way through! Brought the water gym man his wallet, but paused on the actual gym as I had fallen way out of the fami recommended order of things so I pivoted to take care of the flying type titan.

I may have overdone it with the open world exploration in my early hours of play, becuase now it’s starting to feel quite meaningless to explore lol. I guess I wish there was another layer to it beyond TMs because to be honest I haven’t used a single one yet with the endless amounts I’ve collected. I’m sure once my team settles in in the end game I’ll be glad to have done the work, but for now my party is swapping out / learning new moves / evolving at a quick enough rate that I don’t feel a need for them. Completionist mindset be damned in the times of open world games I suppose lol…

a few small changes would go a long way, at least for a player like me.
Eg. Mark the trainer battle counter per area on the map, more clear direction of the intended order of play (I was following reccomendations from the pokecenter only to realize I had drastically overlevled and skipped a natural curve on the other side of the map. Ultimately doesn’t matter I guess since I just swapped out my party, but), similarly mark raids and such (idk, I haven’t felt a need to do them at all so far)

Online tera raids are still a mess. It looks like we're about to win easy, removing the pokemon's health super fast and then we can't attack for like 2 minutes straight and the time runs out. It's so weird.
Yeah, I actually put the game down for a few days because I came across a tera grass Ceruledge raid, beat it and went to catch it, then the game crashed. Tried to do it again, and the raid softlocked on the cheer menu. So I just gave up and played other games.

Dynamax raids were kinda garbo but at least they generally worked.

Yeah, I actually put the game down for a few days because I came across a tera grass Ceruledge raid, beat it and went to catch it, then the game crashed. Tried to do it again, and the raid softlocked on the cheer menu. So I just gave up and played other games.

Dynamax raids were kinda garbo but at least they generally worked.
It's baffling. The available tera raids fill up instantly (which happened also in Sw/Sh) and often kick you out, especially frustrating when it's an other-version-exclusive raid (I managed to snatch an Eiscue after multiple failed attempts at other tera mon, though); and when they do work and do let you in, it's very difficult to keep track of how well or bad you're doing. I don't think I can even attempt a Charizard raid with my current team, much less so if tera raids continue to be so inconsistent.

Back
Top Bottom