• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet |ST| Who You Callin' Paldea, Friend?

Oh no, just based on rumours I've seen lol.

they're hiring for Unreal Engine, that's pretty telling

If I share something specific I know I'd put it in [ hide ] tags.
This is not for Pokémon. On their job-board, the unreal listings have (assigned to new IP development) attached to them.

I love gen 9 despite its extreme warts and flaws. I get why many people bounced off it hard, but it's the most I've enjoyed a mainline Pokemon since gen 5.
I liked it too. I go into these games not expecting technical prowess or good story. I'm here to catch Pokemon. That ounce of serotonin you get when you catch a new Pokemon is unmatched, imo.

I deeply hope you're right, and Pecharunt (which I believe risks being the first Pokémon in a while to debut in a game with no Dex entry for it, since the Paldea dex didn't expand for its events in the past)
Pecharunt has a dex entry, it was datamined.

Pecharunt has a dex entry, it was datamined.
Damn, I don't like having an uncompletable dex either. Ugh, one of them is going to have an odd number from an addendum added months later, that's no good either. This is why games need the National Pokédex back.

Last edited:
Pokemon Violet is probably the game I'm most critical of that I also love, lol. Maybe Fire Emblem Fates Conquest? They can share the title.

Pokemon Violet is probably the game I'm most critical of that I also love, lol. Maybe Fire Emblem Fates Conquest? They can share the title.
For me that's probably Pokémon Shield.

My favourite Pokémon game!

But WOW is it PAPER THIN.

Still fucking love it though. The nostalgia (it's been four years and I've moved, graduated and changed legal name in that time, I can have nostalgia for it) is strong. I don't think anything will ever beat it for me personally.

Beat the dlc and I had fun with it. I don't know if I liked it as much as Sword and Shields pass, but I know for sure I like it more than a 3rd version or an expanded release. I like the idea of trying to make both dlc's one continuous story, but I don't know if it worked for me. If you want to come back to Scarlet or Violet and want a big wave of new things to do I think it is definitely worth it.

For me that's probably Pokémon Shield.

My favourite Pokémon game!

But WOW is it PAPER THIN.

Still fucking love it though. The nostalgia (it's been four years and I've moved, graduated and changed legal name in that time, I can have nostalgia for it) is strong. I don't think anything will ever beat it for me personally.
I have fondness for SwSh too! It was the first game I completed the Pokedex in (having overworld Pokemon made it much easier and fun to do so). Also the beginning and first three gyms are really solid and well done. It's the best gyms have ever felt in general.

Unfortunately the pacing in the second half falls apart, alongside some disappointments like Wyndon and Ballonlea being pretty but having little to do.

I have fondness for SwSh too! It was the first game I completed the Pokedex in (having overworld Pokemon made it much easier and fun to do so). Also the beginning and first three gyms are really solid and well done. It's the best gyms have ever felt in general.

Unfortunately the pacing in the second half falls apart, alongside some disappointments like Wyndon and Ballonlea being pretty but having little to do.
I spent most of my time raiding, co-op makes the games so much better for me, especially online co-op. I've put in twice the time with Shield as I have with Scarlet, despite fewer Pokémon and less content, because I enjoy the raids so much I did them for a cumulative a hundred and twenty hours or something. I've spent more time in raid dens than Pokémon Y or Pokémon HeartGold.

Which makes me just so, like, punch in the stomach mad, that they RUINED raids SO bad in Scarlet and Violet. The glitches. The unresponsive menu. The "real time" element. Just have everyone select their moves at once and execute them in speed order, it's a turn based RPG, it's OK to use turns to smooth out network problems!

ALSO. Max Raid>Tera Raid. Like it's no contest, Max Pokémon are just more fun. More moves for them to choose from, twice their normal health, a clear, always accessible way to damage their shield. It was less complex in some ways but WOW was it so much less CONVOLUTED.

My favorite part of SWSH was the vibe of the region itself. I loved how they turned Gyms and the League into an actual sporting event. The roaring crowds, the tournament structure of the gyms, the way you see challengers slowly decreasing as you progress through the ranks, the buildup to earning a fight with the undefeated champion, etc.

Everything about the theming of the region was done so well, SWSH is the best representation of the "I wanna be the very best like no one ever was" element of the series, and that was one of the aspects of the series that I always liked the most. Then you had the Isle of Armor which gave you that good ol shonen training arc on top of it.

Not to say Scarlet/Violet didnt commit as well to the theme it was going for, but for me personally "I'm going to do a school assignment" is a far cry from "I'm going to win the World Cup myself"

My favorite part of SWSH was the vibe of the region itself. I loved how they turned Gyms and the League into an actual sporting event. The roaring crowds, the tournament structure of the gyms, the way you see challengers slowly decreasing as you progress through the ranks, the buildup to earning a fight with the undefeated champion, etc.

Everything about the theming of the region was done so well, SWSH is the best representation of the "I wanna be the very best like no one ever was" element of the series, and that was one of the aspects of the series that I always liked the most. Then you had the Isle of Armor which gave you that good ol shonen training arc on top of it.

Not to say Scarlet/Violet didnt commit as well to the theme it was going for, but for me personally "I'm going to do a school assignment" is a far cry from "I'm going to win the World Cup myself"
I said very similar things here...

I really wonder what mechanic they'll think off for Raids in the next gen. Maybe it's time to reuse already introduced stuff?
One kinda funny thing I've noticed is all the gimmicks seem to be directly addresing (And maybe in some cases, overcorrecting) the previous gimmicks complaints:

Black/White - Has as all new Pokedex for the whole game
People complained it's only new Pokemon and they cant get their favorites

XY - "Ok, here's Mega Evolution, which make old favorite pokemon special again"
People complained that Megas only went to strong or popular Pokemon that didnt need them

Sun/Moon - "Ok, here's Z Moves, which every single Pokemon can use"
People complained that Z-Moves were just fancy attacks and nowhere near as cool as transformations like megas

SWSH - "Ok, here's Dynamax/Gigantamax, which is a transformation that everyone gets"
People complained Dynamax has too many effects and everyone became OP

SV - "Ok, here's Terastalization, which has a single effect: changing type and requires more strategic play"

So whatever people are complaining about for Terastalization...the total opposite is the next gimmick lol

I said very similar things here...
Totally agree with everything here!
Like the point about the uniforms. I loved how they enhanced the atmosphere for the gyms and league, but did it without sacrificing the customization for the rest of the game.....whereas in SV we're stuck in school clothes 24/7. So many little things like that just added up.

Just realised it's called the "Terarium" and not "Terrarium" because it's a Tera-terrarium.

JFC

That's going to keep tripping me up.

What's worse is that "Tera" is... Literally the SAME TERRA. The world! Tera, as in EARTH, AS IN THE CRYSTALS, AS IN TERAPAGOS, THE WORLD TURTLE!

Damn that little turtle needs to have a chat with Yggdrasil the world tree and settle who represents the world.

It has me thinking, if Tera is something almost innate to the planet, welling up from asteroid impacts or major volcanic events, how it interacts with other regions. While mechanically I want Gen 10 to have all four battle gimmicks, I also want the story implications. How did this one region gain control over all these different sources of energy? Maybe it's heavily industrialised and densely populated, with Dyna band materials, Crystal Pool water and Underdepths water, Z crystals and Mega stones being imported by an economy spinning out of control. Or maybe they have a science programme that's been messing with probability, and exploited its way into too many "natural" features. Max Raid dens and Tera Raid Crystals break through the ground and affect livability, Dyna material starstorms, wormholes and radiation...

Or heck, researchers from the four regions all got together and created a single band that can exploit all four, and the player gets a prototype from the professor at the start of the game. Pokédex challenge, record every Tera Type, Mega evolution, Z Move and Gigantamax form! That would be fun.

Briar is a fairly terrible person. Encourages the reckless actions of a mentally-ill teenager and then nearly gets all of you killed. Proceeds to then write a book about it with none of the money going to the three teenagers who did all the work, who she nearly got killed. She also doesn't seem that interested in the well-being of Terapagos as a living creature.

Getting close to wrapping up The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero now.

On the whole the DLC didn't feel as big of a step above the base game as Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra were over Sword & Shield. In some ways the design took a step back even, which makes the offering, fair or not, a small disappointment comparatively. Double battles carried The Indigo Disk, and Kieran's journey over both parts was a Pokemon highlight so his champion fight being the breziest of the Blueberry Elite 4 as well as a swift character readjustment at the end of The Teal Mask turned out to be a letdown.

Still enjoyed my time, but as a package it continued the story of Scarlet & Violet befuddling me, in that it's objectively better than its predecessor yet hooked me less.

Briar is a fairly terrible person. Encourages the reckless actions of a mentally-ill teenager and then nearly gets all of you killed. Proceeds to then write a book about it with none of the money going to the three teenagers who did all the work, who she nearly got killed. She also doesn't seem that interested in the well-being of Terapagos as a living creature.

It's true and I liked it that way. After the first part set her up as someone with a selfish motivation, I expected something more sinister. Like that the cause of her disinterest in the children put under her care would be revealed as a madness for power or demented megalomania in line with previous villains and leaders of villain teams. No, she was just your average self-absorbed adult who got into teaching for the wrong reasons. I appreciate when Pokemon is unexpectedly real that way.

Last edited:
Can i just say that i really, really, actively dislike the raids right now?

I like the reward, a guaranteed 5 perfect IV Pokemon, but i dread the actual raid.
~80% of the time i try to join one, it's "You weren't able to join" ... like how about some more info? Was the raid full? Was it a connection problem? Talk to me, Game Freak.

Then, for the rare chance i am able to join one, there's a big chance you get people who seem to not understand how you're supposed to play this game, or rather the raids. Like ... you had to do quite some things to unlock the 6* raids ... how comes that some people play as if it's the first ever raid they do?
Like ... it's nice that you bring an Electric Pokemon for a raid with a Water-Type-Tera enemy ... but are you aware that that Water-Tera-Enemy is actually a Ground Pokemon, coming with ... you know ... Ground attacks, which are super-effective against your Electric Pokemon, yeah? No? Damn...

And while guaranteed 5 perfect IVs are nice, it sucks boogers if you finally manage to complete a raid and catch the Pokemon, only to see that the one non-perfect IV is in the most vital stat, and you end up having to use a Bottle Cap again...

I don't even wanna start on the actual performance (as in, game performance) during raids. That's a whole story of it's own, good grief.
The game doesn't perform well, i think we're all on the same page here, but i can deal with that. But the raids, holy heck... holy heck.

Haven't played the DLC for SV but GF are 0 for 2 on raids for me.

Dynamax raids at least worked but were incredibly slow and boring - not great for your repeatable grind.

Tera raids were flat-out broken at SV launch on a technical level that was actually kind of astonishing. The lower level ones were generally uninvolved enough this wasn't a critical problem but it became more apparent the harder and more drawn-out they got. I know they patched it (and maybe the DLC improves them, I wouldn't know) but they still felt extremely janky and unfun last I played.

Unfortunately GF seem set on raids for PvE rather than Battle Tower style content, so another thing in which the series has moved away from what I would like.

Doing group BBQs with other people on Union Circle is actually pretty fun, and you definitely want as much BP as possible. Looks like you can get legendaries that are exclusive to the opposite game by doing group BBQs as well.

Doing group BBQs with other people on Union Circle is actually pretty fun, and you definitely want as much BP as possible. Looks like you can get legendaries that are exclusive to the opposite game by doing group BBQs as well.
Yeah it looks like each game has a group of Legendaries you can unlock via Solo BBQs, and then you can unlock the other game's by doing group BBQs.

In addition there are a few Group BBQ Exclusives.

The only bad Group Quest is the "Make a 4 star sandwich" one, which requires one of each Herba Mystica. It's especially brutal if you try to complete it with randos and somebody screws up so you need to make another lol.

BDSP still sold huge, while the balance of not having to create and tool their own engine, alongside a presumably extremely favourable deal with Epic given their size, probably isn't a big hurdle.
BDSP was built in Unity as a result of not being made by Game Freak. It's probably not worth reading further into that.

Game Freak is not just the Pokémon dev, and the recent Unreal stuff is most likely related to their latest attempt to remind people of that. We haven't really seen any evidence that they're actually considering dropping their own tech for the Pokémon games.

GBif8akaYAA6oBz

got this yesterday. also grinded 25k or so BBQ with groups to unlock all the coaches and their special Pokemon and all the other stuff in the clubroom

missed that legendaries guy. I'll visit him later

The only bad Group Quest is the "Make a 4 star sandwich" one, which requires one of each Herba Mystica. It's especially brutal if you try to complete it with randos and somebody screws up so you need to make another lol.
You can bypass using mysticas entirely

Player-1
Hamburger x6
Curry Powder x4

Player-2
Kiwi x2
Cream Cheese x3
Vinegar x1

I really need to get around to playing this DLC…and finishing Sword/Shield’s DLC sometime, too, lol. I’ve just lost so much motivation for playing Pokémon past the main story since I’ve been screwed out of completing my Pokédex by missing exclusive event distributions…

I used to be on top of all these event distributions, but even since they started shifting away from online distributions to in-store distributions at GameStop and such, I just started to fall behind and miss some, especially during periods when I was feeling particularly overwhelmed or depressed. This was between the tail end of Gen VI through Gen VII, but when Gen VIII arrived on Switch I told myself I was going to keep up with things this time, and I was doing just that…until I was screwed out of getting Dada Zarude because I never got the fucking email from TPCi even though I definitely had opted in to the newsletter.

So halfway into Gen VIII my motivation took a huge hit again, and I’ve just struggled to keep up with Pokémon much in general outside of beating the main story of the games. Can’t really do anything about all the event distributions I’ve missed at this point, I guess, but I want to at least make it through both this game’s DLC and the previous generation’s…

Which has me wondering… Pokémon HOME allows for transferring Pokémon both ways between generations now (at least back to Generation VIII) for the first time since the Time Machine in Generation II, right? So, like, I can send Pokémon from Scarlet/Violet back into Sword/Shield, provided said Pokémon exist in Sword/Shield, correct? Are there any other limitations on this? I’m wondering if I could play through Scarlet/Violet’s DLC and then bring some of the Pokémon I used for that back to Sword/Shield without issue to help me finish that game’s DLC… That would probably make it more likely that I’d actually go back to the previous generation’s DLC if so.

I only just bought the DLC so I'm currently in the Teal Mask part. I haven't even really started it yet because I decided I would go after Bloodmoon Ursaluna first, which has been quite the ordeal since I didn't realize that the questline was attached to a Pokedex requirement! I'm the kind of person who only catches what he's planning to use, so I only had 12 Pokemon registered in the Kitakami dex at that point, one of which was a Yanma I caught on the way in since I decided I wanted to use a mostly new team for the DLC. I finally got to 150 last night.

So I finished all the DLC and everyone is chilling in the Clubhouse except for Lacey. Anyone know how to get her into there?

Frankly I think getting Hidden Abilities in this game is a lot breezier compared to Sword/Shield, which in turn is better than Sun/Moon. I think that it's due to the following factors:

• Getting this out of the way, there are the Ability Patches being more easily-obtained this time around. Sword/Shield introduced them but they are absurdly expensive so they are not so convenient to use.
  • Many of the 6-star raids come with that Pokemon's hidden ability, so if you encounter one, you are very likely to encounter one with their HA. Also helps to save on Ability Patches because it's guaranteed. For example: 6-star Bombirdier has Rocky Payload (its HA) so you don't need to spend a patch for it.
  • Tera Raids in this game are a lot snappier. I could list down a few things that this game does well on this part.
    • The first is how simpler it is to research an interested Pokemon. SwSh's dens are scattered and each has their own pool of Pokemon, and you won't know which Pokemon are in them unless you look at a guide. SV's ones are only based on region and difficulty, making it far easier to reference. the general rule is that if a Pokemon is introduced in that area, they only contain those Pokemon (e.g.: Ninetales is introduced in Kitakami so there are Ninetales raids in Kitakami)
    • Battles in Tera Raids are snappier. For example, 3-stars don't have barriers in SV but they have them in SwSh. Also, there are no damage walls so if you do heavy damage the game won't stop you from doing it, even allowing 1HKOs before the wild Pokemon can put up the barriers.
    • Wild Pokemon don't reset stats as they please; in SV, they can only do that at certain HP and time thresholds, but in SwSh there's no limit on how often they can do it. On the other hand, player stat resets in SwSh includes stat drops but that's like the only advantage.
    • CPUs not being a liability if they got KO'd, plus they have generally useful Pokemon. SwSh has less helpful CPU Pokemon like Wobbuffet who can sometimes do nothing. Here, every Pokemon can at least provide some value like Clodsire inflicting poison.
    • The ability to resign from the battle when playing alone. In SwSh you can't Run but in SV you can, allowing you to cut your losses, or in my case, scout the ability and then use the proper Pokemon for the job.
    • Ability to join raids more easily in SV thanks to a dedicated menu for it, and a Random option if you're feeling lucky. SwSh doesn't always make it clear if a raid is joinable. Especially great for those version exclusives.
    • While every raid in SV is random in their ability, at least every Pokemon in 3- to 5-star raids can have their HA, unlike SwSh where certain Pokemon can't have them even at higher levels. The DLC for SwSh is better in the HA department because the rare ones are guaranteed, but they're still rare and you have to quickly reset the game if you don't see a very bright pillar of light (through using a Wishing Piece).
    • SwSh did have a few advantages though, like checking a specific pool of Pokemon for one that you want. And maybe the fact that you can fish for the Pokemon as much as you want. Downside is that the den is occupied until you defeated the Pokemon.
  • Every single raid spot is unleashed on the map in SV, so unlike SwSh where only a few spots are available without using a Wishing Piece, there are more options available.
I felt like I have already gotten most HA Pokemon in SV faster than SwSh even though I wasn't actively trying. It's so much faster and I can get used to this. Not every Pokemon has their HA in SV (some including all the first partner Pokemon, Klefki, Vivillon, Squawkabilly that's not green, Florges that's not red, Palossand, among others). But ability patches can help to make them available.

Thank you for reading.

Battles in Tera Raids are snappier.
I beg your pardon?

I don't think that's ever been the case for me once we account for lag, glitches, white-outs (not faints, just a white screen caused by Tera Raids, wasting up to a minute from capture to getting to control the character again) and the unresponsive controls.

Maybe they're objectively shorter on average? But the unresponsive controls make them feel so much longer.

Last edited:
I beg your pardon?

I don't think that's ever been the case for me once we account for lag, glitches, white-outs (not faints, just a white screen caused by Tera Raids, wasting up to a minute from capture to getting to control the character again) and the unresponsive controls.

Maybe they're objectively shorter on average? But the unreaponsive controls make them feel so much longer.
Tera Raids could be better, Our experiences might be a bit different because in my experience most of my online raids were generally smooth, as smooth as it could be. To be fair, there were like one or two standouts where it didn't function well (e.g.: a long delay before the actual Tera Raid started) so I can't claim perfection.

Still, there are some things that Tera Raids did that makes thing faster that I appreciated. Like how ability or stat activations don't focus on other players one-by-one (except mainly in the beginning with things like Intimidate activating). So like if my teammate has stat drops/boosts individually, my actions don't freeze to wait for those animations to fully play out.

In any case, it happens faster on average compared to Max Raids and it's something I appreciate. 3-star ones are notably faster because you can bring in a powerful Pokemon to just KO and get them over with in less than a minute. Only thing is the inability to switch off animations (something you can do in SwSh, making solo raids faster, unlike online raids which still keep those animations).

Thank you for reading.

Tera Raids could be better, Our experiences might be a bit different because in my experience most of my online raids were generally smooth, as smooth as it could be. To be fair, there were like one or two standouts where it didn't function well (e.g.: a long delay before the actual Tera Raid started) so I can't claim perfection.

Still, there are some things that Tera Raids did that makes thing faster that I appreciated. Like how ability or stat activations don't focus on other players one-by-one (except mainly in the beginning with things like Intimidate activating). So like if my teammate has stat drops/boosts individually, my actions don't freeze to wait for those animations to fully play out.

In any case, it happens faster on average compared to Max Raids and it's something I appreciate. 3-star ones are notably faster because you can bring in a powerful Pokemon to just KO and get them over with in less than a minute. Only thing is the inability to switch off animations (something you can do in SwSh, making solo raids faster, unlike online raids which still keep those animations).

Thank you for reading.
I see. I just get insanely bad experiences. Controls don't respond. Extended visual glitches. Moves not triggering at all. Terastallizing being activated and immediately shattering for myself and others without an attack even occuring.

It's probably the buggiest part of the game for me, it's literally borderline unplayable, and I play it way less because of it, while I adored raids in Shield.

So I finished all the DLC and everyone is chilling in the Clubhouse except for Lacey. Anyone know how to get her into there?
I think the BB League folks just rotate daily. In my experience there are three slots for them and they change out each day.

Not sure if Carmine and Kieran also end up taking those slots too, they're not in the coach list but I know they can show up somehow.

Which has me wondering… Pokémon HOME allows for transferring Pokémon both ways between generations now (at least back to Generation VIII) for the first time since the Time Machine in Generation II, right? So, like, I can send Pokémon from Scarlet/Violet back into Sword/Shield, provided said Pokémon exist in Sword/Shield, correct? Are there any other limitations on this? I’m wondering if I could play through Scarlet/Violet’s DLC and then bring some of the Pokémon I used for that back to Sword/Shield without issue to help me finish that game’s DLC… That would probably make it more likely that I’d actually go back to the previous generation’s DLC if so.

I can't think of any limitations that would foil your plan. There are some peculiarities when transfering mons, for example around ability patches, but those likely won't be relevant in this case. At most you want to keep in mind that move sets don't carry over, so TMs and PPs would reset upon importing the Violet/Scarlet crew into Sword/Shield.

One interesting thing I noticed is that Venusaur, Blastoise, Lugia, and Ho-Oh got model updates.

Venusaur and Blastoise make sense to match Charizard's new model, but it's interesting that Lugia and Ho-Oh were chosen, though Lugia especially needed a revisit.

I haven't noticed any other major model updates.

One interesting thing I noticed is that Venusaur, Blastoise, Lugia, and Ho-Oh got model updates.

Venusaur and Blastoise make sense to match Charizard's new model, but it's interesting that Lugia and Ho-Oh were chosen, though Lugia especially needed a revisit.

I haven't noticed any other major model updates.
Johto confirmed?!?!

Now that a few days have passed I’m coming in to say Hydrapple is another all time classic Pokémon. Dipplin going down a legend for me. This little Apple gets this and Appletun as final evolutions. Meaning it gets two classic grass dragon forms.

Just pour one out for Flapple who is destined to now be third place.

Just this morning I woke up thinking "Would be nice if they wrapped this up with an event rather than a raid."

Even better news laid just hours ahead!

Guess there will be (a) new game(s) announcement(s) on Pokemon Day then if they drop this so fast.

Playing the DLC. I loved Violet but didn't finish the main story. As good as it was, it's so refreshing having a focused region like Kitakami. Some great writing so far too, I just defeated the second of the nasty trio. Can't wait for the second two parts, this game really has been gamefreak's best effort in over a decade.

Playing the DLC. I loved Violet but didn't finish the main story. As good as it was, it's so refreshing having a focused region like Kitakami. Some great writing so far too, I just defeated the second of the nasty trio. Can't wait for the second two parts, this game really has been gamefreak's best effort in over a decade.
Just to make sure you know, you'll have to finish the main story if you want to do Part 2! (You'll be able to enter the area, but you'll be locked from story progress early on until you complete both the main game and Part 1)

This is awesome, I was thinking they would shadowdrop this on Pokemon Day itself, but looks like they're going to strike while the iron is hot.

Maybe it means they plan to shadowdrop something else on Pokemon Day instead! Inhales hopium Like maybe NSO releases of RBY/GSC/RSE for instance.

Excited for the epilogue! Some information about what’s in it has already leaked so if you want to remain spoiler free. Don’t look up too much information on scarlet and violet.

For those who don’t care
it’s around 1 hour long and you’ll catch the games only mythical Pokémon Pecharunt at the end. Which concludes the teaser for it in teal mask and at the end of this trailer.

Honestly, something that's stayed true about Pokémon is how inscrutable it is in the post game.

Which of course has been horrible the whole time

Last edited:
I probably was the only person searching for Perrin as soon as I got into the terrarium lol. Then the first thing I did after was find my boy Blitzle.

Back
Top Bottom