• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Wyndon Calling: Why I Love Galar & Pokemon Sword/Shield

EvilChameleon

Rockenberg Enthusiast
Pronouns
he/him
Wyndon Calling: Why I Love Galar & Pokemon Sword/Shield
Numerous times across this website I have professed, in 250 characters or less mostly, my love of Galar and the Sword & Shield Pokemon games. But not once have I dived deep into the matter and given some sort of longform answer. Until now. Until this thread. I cannot wait to gush about everything, so let's get into it, shall we?

Galar Itself
Let's start with the region itself, Galar. Galar is based on Great Britian, with mostly England and some Wales taking the stage. As for the DLC, those sections are based on the Isle Of Man and Scotland.

With that being stated, here comes my first love of the region; the gyms. As a huge football (soccer) fan, I love the idea of the gyms being these huge stadiums where people from all over town come to watch their local gym leader take on some scruffy challenger. There's a real sense of community here, especially when characters outside the gyms mention the leaders, much in the same way an Aston Villa fan would mention their club in Birmingham. And I really love how, after you take down the leader, there are people in the lobby talking about your match. Gaining a badge isn't just some thing that happens and then nobody except the badge check person cares, in these games it feels like an event and at the very least, the whole town knows it happened.

Speaking of the towns, let's talk about those next, shall we? Sure, you've got your big metropolises like Motostoke, Hammerlocke and Wyndon, but you also have your nicely done out of the way areas like the quiet Postwick & Wedgehurst, the hidden Ballonlea, the covered Spikemuth, and my favorite town in the whole region; Hulbury. Any Pokemon town that has a lighthouse is already great in my book (I'm looking at you, Olivine City), but throwing in a pier, a market, and some levels to the housing just puts it over the top.

I'd also like to swing back around to Spikemuth and how you might think it contradicts my first paragraph of this essay, in regards to the gyms being stadiums and the battles there being big events. But it doesn't, and here's why; the battlefield is still a stadium and the battle is still a big event. In a game where the gym battles are like football matches, a stadium where it's literally standing room only is very much in line with the lower tiers of football in England, and as for the battle itself, well, pretty much the whole town (in the form of Team Yell) is there watching the action take place.

The Characters
No game is a game without a cast of characters, and this cast is pure perfection. I've talked a lot about the gyms so far in this post, so first I'm going to talk about some of the gym leaders. The first three gym leaders getting together to send you off before you tackle the upper parts of Galar is such a nice touch. It reminds me in a way of how all the gym leaders got together at the end of Black & White to help you take down the Team Plasma Sages. Piers is another highlight, since he's a reluctant gym leader and ready to hand the gym off to Marnie so he can focus on his music, and Bede, yes Bede, delivering a verbal smackdown on Hop "all this talk of the champion, have you nothing of your own to show?" is so good!

I'd like to talk about Hop now as well, along with Sonia, because there's some great character arcs here. Hop is clearly infatuated with the idea of becoming the champion of the region, so much so that it's all he talks about and obsesses over, and whenever he takes a loss to you or Bede, he sometimes changes up his team or looks downcast. By the end of the postgame, he realizes that he's not going to beat you, so he starts studying under Sonia to become a Pokemon professor.

And speaking of Sonia, like I said, I love her character arc here too. She's very interested in the history of the region, and by the end of the game, she has written a book on what she has learned, and become a full fledged Pokemon professor.

The Little Things
And finally, it's time for the little things that make these games so enjoyable to me. This section will be less in paragraphal form and more just a stream of thoughts and ideas, so let's begin!

There is an incredible amount of clothing options in these games, and even more so if you have the DLC. I'll fully admit that I always play as Gloria, since the starting backback for Victor is a hiedous massive trunk. And since I collect football kits in real life, the idea of getting the gym uniforms (which are essentially football kits) every time you beat a leader, having a bunch more for sale for the types that aren't major gyms, and getting one for being the champion is right up my alley. And hey, as an aside, everyone calling you champ when you pass by them or talk to the nurse at the Pokemon Center just really adds to the cool factor of these games. The events actually happened, and are talked about openly by everyone!

Speaking of incredible choice, I'm gonna say it; these games have (at least until Scarlet & Violet came out) the most amount of selection of Pokemon for you to use during the story, even with all the Pokemon they removed. That's the kind of stuff that keeps new runs through the games fresh and exciting. I have played through the region 8 times, and not once have I repeated a Pokemon outside of the starters. Not once! And thanks to the DLC, the choice of Pokemon available to you grows even greater. Twice now I've popped over to the Isle Of Armor halfway through my jolly jaunts and picked up a 'mon or two to use the rest of the way.

As for the DLC, I enjoyed the pseudo base-building aspect in the Isle Of Armor. Using your Watts to improve the dojo is fantastic. And then we swing on down South to the Crown Tundra and go hunting for tons and tons of legendary Pokemon. That's such a cool way to introduce a bunch of legendaries to the games instead of "fly through these portals and hope for the best".

Anyway, thanks for reading me endlessly gush about these games and this region. I do hope that this wasn't too disjointed or rambly. I feel safe in saying they are some of my favorites in the series, and I've been playing since Yellow!

I don't like the games much at all, but I will admit that the gyms and DLC are good so you got me with those two points at least.

Easily the most playtime I got out of a Pokemon game in my life. The gameplay loop just worked really well for me (lots of hours spent doing raids while collecting resources while looking for battles passively at the same time! im very sad SV doesnt allow a similar passive functionality for matchmaking and trading) and the Ranked Online was always fun, sadly haven't gotten the same thrill out of SV due to the significantly worse presentation and despite being more interesting on paper the super buggy and messy way Tera Raids function as of right now makes me less inclined to do those too, so I'd say I still got more fun out of SwSh than other recent games despite liking SV's single player/story more (though I still do enjoy SV and I hope the DLCs increase this fun to a greater height).

Also one of my favorite Pokedexes of the series too, lots of ideas with good humor and interesting shapes, I found myself having lots of trouble settling on a team and just ended up making diff ones for the DLCs to make sure I could use everything I wanted to use.

I don't like the games much at all, but I will admit that the gyms and DLC are good so you got me with those two points at least.
Yeah, it's my least favorite Pokemon gen but it probably has the best Gyms in the series. They felt like actual boss battles and not just slightly tougher trainers.

I love Sword and Shield as well, for plenty of similar reasons.

Honestly really like the overall story of the games, like yea rushed endgame, but the whole element of succession and the future is probably the best execution of any theme that the series has tried to tackle for me, Magnolia not really being the proper professor but seeing Sonia become the professor of the region is great, Marnie and Bede becoming gym leaders, Hop not following into becoming a champion but rather find his own path as a professor as well, Leon and his whole ending speech after you win basically encapsulating all that is really good imo. Tied to that is that element of there being plenty of journeys like the one we go through, like Leon, Sonia, Raihan, Nessa going through their own Pokemon League and being referenced across the game.

Cast is pretty peak for the most part, I think something that elevates the cast a lot is the smaller details, specifically the trainer cards and the animations. Trainer cards are a pretty effective way of fleshing out characters without needing to interrupt the game with a bunch of details you don't really need but they are there to give more characterization, and in terms of animations, you get a lot of personality out of every dynamax animation, Raihan is one of my favorites, taking the selfie before throwing the ball, another stand out is Hop that during his final fight in the tourney he basically imitates Leon, showing how much he looks up to him. Piers is easily my favorite gym leader in the series, unique town setting, gym and his own music track, treats every Pokemon like his ace, helps you out, great brother, best boi.

Also my favorite soundtrack in the series, the sheer emotional rollercoaster that is the Zacian and Zamacenta fight, the way it weaves the cheer into the tournament fights (that Hop final battle theme slaps so hard), and Leon having such a beautiful re arrangement of the Hall of Fame mixed in with the Galar motif is pure perfection. Also really like that they expanded on the gym leader theme from Unova, making it completely dynamic, and in general I appreciate all the Unova references, Bede having PWT bits, the credits theme of 2 in the trainer battle track, Rose's theme.

The cities/town have such a strong identity, and all pretty different from each other, and it gives some great contrast across the game, like you go from Motostoke to Hammerlocke, Ballonlea, and then it throws you Stow on Side, and then Spikemuth, it has excellent variety.

In terms of the new Pokemon, it might just be my favorite set, I really liked all the new Pokemon they introduced, Snom is peak. And I loved the idea behind the fossil ones, very inspired.

Pokemon League finally feeling like a proper event was nice, the stadium, the build up, the challenges before each leader, also the nice detail of characters supporting you more and more with each gym, that sense of progress is pretty good.

DLCs were great, like the stories in them, and I would have liked that the games after would have gone for level design more akin to the Isle and Crown, specially the Isle of Armor, it feels like a good compact, dense while still open enough area with a nice variety of landmarks and biomes.

Think I could go on on some points, but yea, I like these games. Also make more fights like Raihan, doesn't just have a type afffinity, but also builds his team around an extra strategy, so dragons and field effects.

200px-Snom.png

Back
Top Bottom