• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet |ST| Who You Callin' Paldea, Friend?

Urshifu, Calyrex, and friends aren't considered Mythical either, they don't seem to consider buying DLC to be a barrier to obtaining them like event Pokemon.
Ogerpon isn't considered a "special" Pokémon in Pokémon home, unlike most legendaries. So it's a "non-special" legendary. Also both cover legendaries of the DLC this gen have a gender, but a fixed one. Which. Just weird.

I really need to get around to playing this DLC…and finishing Sword/Shield’s DLC sometime, too, lol. I’ve just lost so much motivation for playing Pokémon past the main story since I’ve been screwed out of completing my Pokédex by missing exclusive event distributions…

I used to be on top of all these event distributions, but even since they started shifting away from online distributions to in-store distributions at GameStop and such, I just started to fall behind and miss some, especially during periods when I was feeling particularly overwhelmed or depressed. This was between the tail end of Gen VI through Gen VII, but when Gen VIII arrived on Switch I told myself I was going to keep up with things this time, and I was doing just that…until I was screwed out of getting Dada Zarude because I never got the fucking email from TPCi even though I definitely had opted in to the newsletter.

So halfway into Gen VIII my motivation took a huge hit again, and I’ve just struggled to keep up with Pokémon much in general outside of beating the main story of the games. Can’t really do anything about all the event distributions I’ve missed at this point, I guess, but I want to at least make it through both this game’s DLC and the previous generation’s…

Which has me wondering… Pokémon HOME allows for transferring Pokémon both ways between generations now (at least back to Generation VIII) for the first time since the Time Machine in Generation II, right? So, like, I can send Pokémon from Scarlet/Violet back into Sword/Shield, provided said Pokémon exist in Sword/Shield, correct? Are there any other limitations on this? I’m wondering if I could play through Scarlet/Violet’s DLC and then bring some of the Pokémon I used for that back to Sword/Shield without issue to help me finish that game’s DLC… That would probably make it more likely that I’d actually go back to the previous generation’s DLC if so.
There are some limits on transfers, but mostly not in that direction. The main one that's relevant is that not fully evolved Pokémon which can gigantamax can't be moved into any game besides Sword and Shield. This includes Duraludon, now that it has an evolution.
One interesting thing I noticed is that Venusaur, Blastoise, Lugia, and Ho-Oh got model updates.

Venusaur and Blastoise make sense to match Charizard's new model, but it's interesting that Lugia and Ho-Oh were chosen, though Lugia especially needed a revisit.

I haven't noticed any other major model updates.
Everything got model updates going into Legends Arceus and SV. The way the Pokémon are rendered changed fairly significantly this generation.

Just remembered the Carmine says that the rumor about the crystal pool is you can meet people there who have passed away. Whoa mind blown. 🤯

GBXSRslbsAAjHIC

Guys why does my sandwich have the power of the sun...

I think the problem is caves. Whatever they're doing to light them combines with the picnic lighting and causes everything to be overexposed.

Probably a symptom of the fact the sandwich minigame takes place in the game world exactly where you started the picnic. Makes you wonder why they thought that was the best way to do it, rather than having the camera move to some far-off void with a copy of your picnic table to play the minigame.

I'd love to see how the S/V engine works behind the scenes, because so much of it feels like it's being together with duct tape and glue at times.

Probably a symptom of the fact the sandwich minigame takes place in the game world exactly where you started the picnic. Makes you wonder why they thought that was the best way to do it, rather than having the camera move to some far-off void with a copy of your picnic table to play the minigame.

I'd love to see how the S/V engine works behind the scenes, because so much of it feels like it's being together with duct tape and glue at times.
They have a single software engineer remotely coding the sequence in each individual Switch xD

The epilogue is out now, you need to download a free mystery gift and head to Peachy's in Mossui Town to start it.

It's very fun so far, I just love watching Penny, Arven, and Nemona play off each other lol.

Not only do you need to finish the dlc you need to finish the star tournament in the main games post game.

Not really jiving with the epilogue or the post-game, TBH. The epilogue is a ton of dialogue/cutscenes (probably the part of Pokemon I'm least interested in) and the post-game legendary hunting is tied to those silly BBQ quests. It just feels like such a grind to run around taking pictures of Pokemon and making TMs for no real reason. It's complete filler.

That epilogue had some serious Yo-kai Watch vibes and I absolutely love it, lol. I appreciate that we can actually catch a new Mythical Pokémon in an in-game event for the first time in ages, too. (Though they still ridiculously and frustratingly made Walking Wake and Iron Leaves exclusive to events…)

Also I need BBQs to return in some form with the next generation Pokémon games! Hanging out with other players and doing BBQs together is a blast!!

I need gifs from that goofy dance, from everyone. I laughed so hard when Carmine suddenly showed up and started to dance, that i'm still surprised i didn't wake up my kids yesterday night.

Epilogue dialogue spoiler
Penny: omg you have a Switch?!?! You have to tell me what games you have for it.
Me: okay here's all 500+ games I have. 🤓

Not really jiving with the epilogue or the post-game, TBH. The epilogue is a ton of dialogue/cutscenes (probably the part of Pokemon I'm least interested in) and the post-game legendary hunting is tied to those silly BBQ quests. It just feels like such a grind to run around taking pictures of Pokemon and making TMs for no real reason. It's complete filler.
BBQs are pretty fun with friends. If you need group members, I recommend using PokePortal's reddit chat:

BBQs are pretty fun with friends. If you need group members, I recommend using PokePortal's reddit chat:

I've done that a few times. It helps, but the basic acts of making a TM I don't need, or taking a picture I don't want, or catching a Pokemon I already have aren't super fun things, you know?

Shoutouts to Julle if you're out there, the kind stranger I met in the Union Circle who helped me with all of the Indigo Disk trade evolutions. You're a real one.

If anyone here needs help with those, or other trades, let me know!

Edit: I have Scarlet just FYI.

Last edited:
It pains me so that Snackworth's legendaries are shiny locked. This would have been a great time for them to unlock the rest of the Gen 8 legendaries. :(

I'm always down to team up for BBQs if anyone else here is trying to get points or Snacks.

All of the time I’ve spent in Violet after finishing the Teal Mask Pokédex has been on shiny hunting to make a fun team for Indigo Disk, and I’ve finally got my squad together! Four of the six are from good old reliable Masuda method (less concentrating required), one from Area Zero, and the last one is an old friend imported from Hisui. It took a long time but it helps that I genuinely love all these Pokémon and wanted an excuse to shiny hunt for them anyway. I even took the opportunity to match them up with some fun poké balls :)

-Rillaboom (Friend Ball)
-Empoleon (Heavy Ball)
-Volcarona (Sport Ball)
-Hatterene (Dream Ball)
-Iron Thorns (Timer Ball)
-Ursaluna (Strange Ball, I forget which one of the Hisui balls I used lol)

Unfortunately before I finally go to the blueberry academy, I still need to deal with probably my least favorite part of the series, EV training. I’m not a competitive player by any means but trying to pick out what to prioritize when it comes to evs has always stressed me out!

All of the time I’ve spent in Violet after finishing the Teal Mask Pokédex has been on shiny hunting to make a fun team for Indigo Disk, and I’ve finally got my squad together! Four of the six are from good old reliable Masuda method (less concentrating required), one from Area Zero, and the last one is an old friend imported from Hisui. It took a long time but it helps that I genuinely love all these Pokémon and wanted an excuse to shiny hunt for them anyway. I even took the opportunity to match them up with some fun poké balls :)

-Rillaboom (Friend Ball)
-Empoleon (Heavy Ball)
-Volcarona (Sport Ball)
-Hatterene (Dream Ball)
-Iron Thorns (Timer Ball)
-Ursaluna (Strange Ball, I forget which one of the Hisui balls I used lol)

Unfortunately before I finally go to the blueberry academy, I still need to deal with probably my least favorite part of the series, EV training. I’m not a competitive player by any means but trying to pick out what to prioritize when it comes to evs has always stressed me out!

If you got enough ingame currency, you can skip the battle-for-ev step and just juice up your 'mon with vitamins, feathers or mochis.

I just finished training a Drought Torkoal with 0 Speed IV for a TR team. Does anyone have recs for good Pokemon to pair with him for a Doubles TR team?

I'm waiting to start the Indigo Disk DLC until I have a good doubles team to enter it with. Saw someone mention a chlorophyl Exeggutor being a good mon to include but not 100% sure. Def also need to figure out what couple of pokemon with the move TR I'll actually include in the group.

Also hoping to build out a strong as hell doubles team to demolish my friend - we have been talking about battling each other for months now but I've held off because I really want to destroy him effortlessly 👀 Any guidance is massively appreciated, haha.

I just finished training a Drought Torkoal with 0 Speed IV for a TR team. Does anyone have recs for good Pokemon to pair with him for a Doubles TR team?

I'm waiting to start the Indigo Disk DLC until I have a good doubles team to enter it with. Saw someone mention a chlorophyl Exeggutor being a good mon to include but not 100% sure. Def also need to figure out what couple of pokemon with the move TR I'll actually include in the group.

Also hoping to build out a strong as hell doubles team to demolish my friend - we have been talking about battling each other for months now but I've held off because I really want to destroy him effortlessly 👀 Any guidance is massively appreciated, haha.
Walking Wake is a common Sun Pokemon in Regulation F, Flutter Mane is also the best Pokemon in the format and benefits from Sun with Protosynthesis, but not from Trick Room. Still probably good to have for when you can't get Trick Room up. Iron Hands and Incineroar are also solid meta Pokemon that work well in and out of Trick Room.

Common Trick Room setters and Pokemon are Indeedee-F, Armarouge, Ursaluna (both forms), and Farigiraf.

Other than that I would probably look at other Protosynthesis Pokemon (like Raging Bolt) for ideas.

Competitive Pokemon has always amazed me on how deep and technical it can be. The most “competitive” I’ve done is train an Annilihape to breeze through Raids

Walking Wake is a common Sun Pokemon in Regulation F, Flutter Mane is also the best Pokemon in the format and benefits from Sun with Protosynthesis, but not from Trick Room. Still probably good to have for when you can't get Trick Room up. Iron Hands and Incineroar are also solid meta Pokemon that work well in and out of Trick Room.

Common Trick Room setters and Pokemon are Indeedee-F, Armarouge, Ursaluna (both forms), and Farigiraf.

Other than that I would probably look at other Protosynthesis Pokemon (like Raging Bolt) for ideas.
This is exactly the advice I was looking for - thank you! I think I need to work on my Trick Room setter - Armourage will be the next Pokemon I train, I think. I don't know why, but I've never liked Indeedee design-wise... 🫢 I think I'll skip that one, but Farigiraf could be a fun secondary TR setter to include

I keep hearing Flutter Mane mentioned over and over again for strong, competitive teams, so I think that might be my third Pokemon. And I might throw Iron Hands in the mix too since I know he's kinda nasty.

Might hold off on building out a 5th and 6th Pokemon until a bit later though - I think 4 fully-trained Pokemon and some of my other current mains should be (hopefully) decent enough for starting the new DLC!

This is exactly the advice I was looking for - thank you! I think I need to work on my Trick Room setter - Armourage will be the next Pokemon I train, I think. I don't know why, but I've never liked Indeedee design-wise... 🫢 I think I'll skip that one, but Farigiraf could be a fun secondary TR setter to include

I keep hearing Flutter Mane mentioned over and over again for strong, competitive teams, so I think that might be my third Pokemon. And I might throw Iron Hands in the mix too since I know he's kinda nasty.

Might hold off on building out a 5th and 6th Pokemon until a bit later though - I think 4 fully-trained Pokemon and some of my other current mains should be (hopefully) decent enough for starting the new DLC!
Indeedee-F's main contributions to Trick Room are Psychic Terrain (for Armarouge Expanding Force spam and stopping priority) and redirection through Follow Me (to stop opponents from killing your Trick Room setter before they can set it up).

If you don't want to run Indeedee it may be worth grabbing another redirecting Pokemon, the two most popular ones that come to mind are Amoonguss with Rage Powder (great in Trick Room) and Ogerpon with Follow Me (great outside of Trick Room).

If you got enough ingame currency, you can skip the battle-for-ev step and just juice up your 'mon with vitamins, feathers or mochis.
Yeah I know about vitamins and I have plenty; the real frustrations for me come from the whole customization aspect itself. Having a set number of points and six different areas to invest them into has always felt very intimidating, unless it’s something where you can just dump 252/252/4 and call it a day. Anything more involved than that and my brain just kind of starts to fog, lol.

(I will fully admit it’s a personal problem, not a flaw of the series!!)

Gigantamax Venusaur goes well with Torkoal.

... I'm so out of the loop.

Yeah I know about vitamins and I have plenty; the real frustrations for me come from the whole customization aspect itself. Having a set number of points and six different areas to invest them into has always felt very intimidating, unless it’s something where you can just dump 252/252/4 and call it a day. Anything more involved than that and my brain just kind of starts to fog, lol.

(I will fully admit it’s a personal problem, not a flaw of the series!!)

The complicated spreads are tailored to not only specific meta games but often to really specific damage calculations in a specific meta. The 252/252/4 split will serve you just fine until you have to worry about tournament match-ups or unless you want to optimize for certain items like berries or leftovers or just want to squeeze a little more efficency out of defensive stats.

Last edited:
So, after replaying Legends Arceus (dedicated 10 hours to the first area), I feel like the game is if Let’s Go and SwSh had a son, and that son evolved. It feels like the natural evolution of what Pokemon should be, plus open world. Even though Legends isn’t a 100% open world game, the maps are so massive and varied, you can pretty much call it semi open world

So my dumbass just realized yesterday that Ogre Oustin' is a lot more viable than spending money to get those Vitamin boosters when mochi does the same thing lol.

Anyone have ideas on how to farm those XP candies faster than individual tera raids? Trying to train up a Reuniclus for the Empoleon raid based on a strategy I read, but it's only level 76 after running out of candies (and/or any other strats y'all have used for solo/online raids?)

Sooo.... after finally finishing Legends Acres (what a masterpiece), I get to replay Violet again! <3

Just restarted the game, and unlike the first time, I'm choosing Fuecoco over Quaxly~

Am soft-resetting to try to get it with a good nature xD hahahaha

Violet has now become my most played game not just on Switch but of all time, at 700 hours, surpassing my playtime of Smash Ultimate at 685 and Splatoon 3 at 660.

I can hardly believe it. To think there was a point in time not that long ago when I thought I was forever done with Pokemon.

Violet has now become my most played game not just on Switch but of all time, at 700 hours, surpassing my playtime of Smash Ultimate at 685 and Splatoon 3 at 660.

I can hardly believe it. To think there was a point in time not that long ago when I thought I was forever done with Pokemon.
That's impressive! Are you a shiny hunter, online battles, mix of both or something else? Just curious how you spent your time.

That's impressive! Are you a shiny hunter, online battles, mix of both or something else? Just curious how you spent your time.
Mostly shiny hunting (and tera raids). I'm really picky about it, like nowadays I don't even care for a shiny if it doesn't have a cool mark.

I also had a living dex at one point including alternate forms up to Kitakami, but I got rid of it.

As for battling, I do that on Showdown.

Last edited:
To think there was a point in time not that long ago when I thought I was forever done with Pokemon.
Same here! I hadn’t touchef a mainline Pokemon game since X/Y (due to boredom). Missed out on Sun/Moon and the Ultra games. I did buy Let’s Go Pikachu, but quit after Lavender Town. Skipped on Sword/Shield, but only got into it after BDSP and Legends. Loved the Galar games and finally arrived to Violet, which I love a lot!

I also started a new file and picked Fuecoco this time! I went Quaxly first. I have to say I've really come around to liking Crocolar, he's such a silly little guy.

GHgl8jObwAARZrj

I also love how open this game gets once you get your first few gyms/bases/Titans. It's just a shame that every new town is so useless and empty outside of Porto Marinada.

Yeah, hopefully next mainline game has a set of towns and cities that are interactive beyond the people saying almost generic stuff
The next announced mainline game takes place entirely within one city. Shouldn't be too worried, I think.

The next generation will hopefully have a new generation of hardware, and extra support and time, so I dare to have hope it'll have more attention to detail.

I presume making urban areas that actualy feel like proper settings is going to be the next big "Step" of these games now that they're, even if graphically borked, have finaly managed to make 3D worlds with a good amount of visual fidelity and complexity in the layout of the world we move through. There was a pretty clear line of evolution from SwSh to the SwSh DLC to PLA leading into Scarlet Violet, so hopefully the Lumioise City in the new PLA will similarly lead into an improvement on the town-building area.

Back
Top Bottom