• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet |ST| Who You Callin' Paldea, Friend?

My team of adorable faces two Pokemon Centers in...
scarletteam1.png
Looks about like mine! Early impressions are: Pawmi is surprisingly useful and good for catching (nuzzle is great), and wow Tarountula is bad. I know it's an early bug and all, but yeesh

So after 2 or so hours I have to say the Lets Go feature makes me want to pummel everything lmao. So I'm overpowered which is fine because that just means I'll be using more Pokemon. I haven't even made it to the school and I can tell I'm overpowered. I'm curious how the leveling of the Pokemon is once I get there, but right now I'm level 12-16.

Framerate and technical issues are worse than Legends, specifically the latter. I think the framerate is the same but it feels worse lol. But wow the technical issues. Poke balls just floating above the ground on hills. Clipping like crazy too. Wild Pokemon just end up inside building walls, hills and trees with no way to battle them.

I cannot fathom how this game scored 8s and 9s with these technical issues. With that said, I mean, I'm having fun lol.

Looks about like mine! Early impressions are: Pawmi is surprisingly useful and good for catching (nuzzle is great), and wow Tarountula is bad. I know it's an early bug and all, but yeesh
Yeah Lechonk and Tarountula are certainly not permanent members on my team. Just have them for balance right now.

Played for about 30 minutes after a mission in God of War. I will make one comment about the technical aspect of this game and that will be it - it’a disappointing.

Aside from that, it feels pretty good so far - I do like the subtle Legends influence!

This game is so much fun for me already. I’m only a couple hours in but I’ll be honest I’ve just been taking my sweet time and exploring the areas and taking in the sights, jamming to the music and enjoying it as I go bit by bit!

Curiosity got the better of me and I had to try out Violet. Graphically the game is fine IMO. Not great, but good enough for me. The stuttering though. Good god. Even walking around the house at the very start I noticed it. This game needs some patches ASAP. But there's a great game underneath the issues.

I can absolutely see the stutter, and the jank, and the glitchiness and such, but honestly once I get to playing the game, I mostly am able to tune it out and am having a great time. I hope it gets a patch soon to resolve things at least a bit, though.

The new world design really struggles with the fixed angle trainer battles. Perhaps one of the reasons PLA didn't have many trainer battles itself. The animations are definitely all designed like they are from a game where trainer battles always happen in a flat open field so weird things happen when you challenge a trainer on a slope. You'd think they'd get around this by only placing trainers in generally flat areas, but nope.

And its weird that the trainers all have their usual end of battle animations, but the game doesn't zoom in to let you see any of them. It does zoom in for the Gym Leaders, at least.

Framerate has noticeable issues, but it hasn't been a total deal breaker for me. I haven't experienced any of the really egregious stuff. I played long enough to get the first badge and then made sure to close the game out fully when I finished so hopefully I can avoid the really nasty stuff by only playing 3-4 hours at a time.

I'm going for my usual new generation experience of making my team of entirely new Pokemon, but it seems a number of the Pokemon I want in my final squad are in higher level areas so I might have to bend the rules to fill spots for a while.

So I finally started the game, and I'm on the character customization screen. I am glad that we got a couple of more Afro-textured hairstyles, but there's, like, no curly hair options, so none of the hairstyles actually look like my hair. Ugh. Least the beauty spot options are more on-point this time, and so many options for hair and eye colors!

I hope they get on the performance issues patched ASAP, because there is a really fun game underneath the various issues. Also Nemona is already >>> Hop and Hau.

Now I got a question; I said "no" to the person on the phone about stopping Team Star as a joke. However it looks like it stopped me from registering it as a path unlike the one with Nemona and the Herba Mystica path. How do I reactivate it?

Okay in handheld mode it actually runs fine. Like this is basically somewhat worse than (but in the same ballpark as) Arceus in handheld mode. Which isn’t ideal but was at least acceptable.

In console mode this is bordering BGS levels of broken (not like broken Fallout 76/Skyrim PS3 levels, more like Fallout 4 levels, where there is still a very noticeable degree of jank and glitchiness).

Quoted by: Leo
Do we have a trading thread or something, or should we make one? Seems like that might be handy

Got a spare Sprigatito from Surprise Trading of all things (thanks, R.Kelly, apparently) so I'm down to trade that for one of the other starters. Otherwise may just pay it forward

Now I got a question; I said "no" to the person on the phone about stopping Team Star as a joke. However it looks like it stopped me from registering it as a path unlike the one with Nemona and the Herba Mystica path. How do I reactivate it?
The path doesn't register until the Treasure Hunt begins. The first conversation when you get called doesn't activate it even if you say yes.

Unless you've already gotten to that point and still don't have it.

Link To The Trading Thread
Do we have a trading thread or something, or should we make one? Seems like that might be handy

Got a spare Sprigatito from Surprise Trading of all things (thanks, R.Kelly, apparently) so I'm down to trade that for one of the other starters. Otherwise may just pay it forward
Actually yeah, anyone wanna try out trading right now? I have a Toxel and Rockruff if anyone wants one.
Ok went ahead and made the thread myself!

I spent a lot of time in the open world map right next to the big city. I just kept going around exploring and finding new Pokémon and chasing items and trying to find trainers. The core design here is definitely really fun and addictive. I think Pokémon is just one of those franchises that lends itself really well to an open world format.

4 hours into my adventure I discover my Quaxly is -Atk nature... really wish I'd checked earlier and rerolled lol

It only costs $20,000 to fix that, and that's if you don't find the proper mint on the ground first.
Oh it's fairly easy this gen? Nice. I always try to use my original starter rather than egg a new one so that's cool.

I'm of two minds about this game: it's plagued by Game Freak being Game Freak and runs like complete ass

But at the same time: holy shit this is super fun.

Okay, so I was experimenting if putting the game in suspend mode was going to cause me problems... then after I defeated Mela, my game hard-crashed. Welp. Definitely make a habit of completely exiting the game haha.

The boss battle against Mela was fun though, it's probably the biggest example of an asymmetric boss fight that you usually see in other JRPGs. I want my own souped up car. That better be the reward.

Also did my first Herba Mystica quest. Apparently these are the quests that grant you more exploration abilities for the overworld, so I'm gonna be hunting down all of them.

Played for about 30 minutes after a mission in God of War. I will make one comment about the technical aspect of this game and that will be it - it’a disappointing.

Aside from that, it feels pretty good so far - I do like the subtle Legends influence!
I am also afraid of jumping straight into this after finishing something that looks as good as God of War lol.

Okay, so I've made some progress tonight. Got up to the first town, spent a lot of time roaming around and catching Pokemon, and I'm building up my reserve team as I await the planned members of my team.

This game makes a pretty terrible first impression. It overall has a pretty janky feel, from menus being just a little too sluggish to texture pop in issues to laggy performance, I am absolutely not surprised that critics were harsh on the title for this. Once the game lets you just play, roaming around and fighting wild Pokemon and all that, some of those technical issues melt away and you can better enjoy what's to offer. Still, I am wondering how this will all come together as I progress. Regardless, Samba the Quaxly and the Dance Team will be helping me to victory!

I love how jazzy and upbeat so much of the music is. And that BASS in the wild battles, it do be slappin’

Oh, and my main story takeaway right now is that I adore Nemona. I love her passionate energy for battles and infectious enthusiasm, and I am so glad that she wants to be my MC's friend. Nemona's gonna skyrocket to one of my favorite Pokémon characters, she's ticking my boxes for sure.

Have a picture of Samba and I together!
20221119-021250.jpg

The pokemon actually look nice in this game, makes trainers battles more pleasing

The game is good, the serie is heading in a good direction I would say, since the technical problems are bound to be just temporary, switch should be the last Nintendo console where GF would need to learn how to optimize their games lol other than that the story, characters and exploration are enjoyable

For anyone starting now, I strongly recommend doing the Klawf Titan first because you get something convinient after for travelling around.

For anyone starting now, I strongly recommend doing the Klawf Titan first because you get something convinient after for travelling around.
Ok damn I'm doing that Titan next after I muster up the energy to re-attempt the Team Star camp.

So many dog Pokémon in this game
Yeah geez whoever decided the dex for this game must really love dogs.

The new world design really struggles with the fixed angle trainer battles. Perhaps one of the reasons PLA didn't have many trainer battles itself. The animations are definitely all designed like they are from a game where trainer battles always happen in a flat open field so weird things happen when you challenge a trainer on a slope. You'd think they'd get around this by only placing trainers in generally flat areas, but nope.

And its weird that the trainers all have their usual end of battle animations, but the game doesn't zoom in to let you see any of them. It does zoom in for the Gym Leaders, at least.

Framerate has noticeable issues, but it hasn't been a total deal breaker for me. I haven't experienced any of the really egregious stuff. I played long enough to get the first badge and then made sure to close the game out fully when I finished so hopefully I can avoid the really nasty stuff by only playing 3-4 hours at a time.

I'm going for my usual new generation experience of making my team of entirely new Pokemon, but it seems a number of the Pokemon I want in my final squad are in higher level areas so I might have to bend the rules to fill spots for a while.
Given the battles seem to be one of the glitchiest areas, I wonder if having them happen in-world and not in a battle screen was a late addition? Perhaps after Aceus they thought it would be too big a step back, but there just wasn't time to implement it properly.
Oddly despite what everyone else is saying, I find it more comfortable playing on the TV, I think I can take visual glitches and stutter more easily than the aggressive resolution scaling in handheld.

the game REALLY struggles in the big main city, at least in handheld mode. Everything else is "acceptable" to me, although I hope they patch the game soon. I'm still very early but I already see the benefits of the open world.

Okay in handheld mode it actually runs fine. Like this is basically somewhat worse than (but in the same ballpark as) Arceus in handheld mode. Which isn’t ideal but was at least acceptable.

In console mode this is bordering BGS levels of broken (not like broken Fallout 76/Skyrim PS3 levels, more like Fallout 4 levels, where there is still a very noticeable degree of jank and glitchiness).

I'm confused, I've been reading elsewhere that it's the contrary. Like Serebii said on twitter he personally didn't find any glitches and gameplay felt mostly smooth and he played docked the whole time, and some people replied saying it's bad when you play undocked. I wonder if there is no consistency between this and it's just a matter of luck.

Anyway, apparently Nintendo has aknowledged there is a memory leak problem, so it's most likely getting patched.

Last edited:
I feel like the game has been running better now compared to when I first started the game. The jank is less distracting at least. XD

I cleared the first gym! But I don't really have a proper team that I actually feel like using, so I'll focus on that next before moving on.

I also have a question! Do shinies still sparkle + have a music jingle in the overworld?
Those are so important for me to distinguish shinies LOL

I feel like the game has been running better now compared to when I first started the game. The jank is less distracting at least. XD

I cleared the first gym! But I don't really have a proper team that I actually feel like using, so I'll focus on that next before moving on.

I also have a question! Do shinies still sparkle + have a music jingle in the overworld?
Those are so important for me to distinguish shinies LOL
Nope, just gotta keep an eye out for the different color.

Nope, just gotta keep an eye out for the different color.

They don't. A way to differentiate them is that your pokémon wont attack them in Let's Go mode, though.

Oh noo, those were the things I relied on most 🥲
I guess it'll be harder to catch shinies that don't have a big change in colors now. XD

But it's good to know you can't accidentally KO them, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom