• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet |ST| Who You Callin' Paldea, Friend?

Neat, you can throw a Pokéball with your leader Pokémon to start battles, and the battle may start with wild Pokémon caught off-guard depending on the angle. It's a simplified mechanic, there's no aim so it seems to always hit, but I don't remember it being mentioned

Started the game. Really enjoying, slow cutscenes are the worst thing.

We knew this, but the three starters are fantastic. Was a hard choice

Neat, you can throw a Pokéball with your leader Pokémon to start battles, and the battle may start with wild Pokémon caught off-guard depending on the angle. It's a simplified mechanic, there's no aim so it seems to always hit, but I don't remember it being mentioned
Said this earlier, and it pops up as a hint later on, but you can lock on with ZL

Blasted through the Schedar Squad and solo'd Mela with a Drednaw only to have the game crash on me. Definitely a strong case for autosaves.

There's a great game here underneath the jank, but I can't blame people for being turned off by that.

oh my god, the animators made her goose-step because her boots are too big

Last edited:
I like how they added social links with the professors lol. No idea if you get anything from it, but it's a fun little side system to progress.

Having a fun time and loving the cute new Pokemon, but I wish the game was snappier! The short pauses before/after battle are really bugging me.

One thing that's surprised me about this game; it's the earliest in any Pokemon game I've found a shiny! I caught a shiny LeChonk and named him Wilbur. He's definitely going to be sticking with my team till the end!

I’ve never caught a shiny. AMA

In most games I don't! I caught two I'm Crystal and then found nothing until I caught a pink Hypno in Sun. That's part of why I'm so surprised!

In most games I don't! I caught two I'm Crystal and then found nothing until I caught a pink Hypno in Sun. That's part of why I'm so surprised!
Two of my friends caught a shiny LeChonk already too, and my brother ran into a shiny Fletchling but was out of pokeballs. Rate seems to be even higher than Legends: Arceus.

Base shiny rate is still 1/4096 according to dataminers, but with the various boosts in the game you can get it as high as 1/512.

I know it's not new to this game but, accessing boxes anywhere kind of breaks some of the difficulty of the game / relation to pokestops no?

Also whew, this and Sonic back to back. Two "dreams becoming reality" games of series finally taking steps forward, even if I already got a big taste of it with Arceus. This year has been full of such delights, Kirby too!

Not even in Legends? I feel like it's impossible to go through that game and not see a shiny haha
and must mean not counting the one the story gave you too haha

Cutscenes arent the worst, but the: “you should probably go the other way!

Turn around
Take two steps
..”
Gameplay resumes

…is such a relic of an idea that I genuinely can’t believe it happens in the first 20 minutes.

I'm pleased with the difficulty but I've also been ignoring a ton of trainers and mostly been swapping around catches to get higher levels, so I've been comfortably underleveled and counterteaming bosses to compensate

Though I managed to pick up a male Trace Kirlia that was Fire-Tera'd, and after a Dawn Stone and an Adamant Mint, I think I've got myself a little beast on my hands. Probably keeping him, the starter, and Drednaw on the squad

I'm trying to stick to a soft level cap and switching around when a Poke hits that cap. It seems to be working out so far. Just beat the first gym.

Is Pokemon Scarlet/Violet any good?
I'm enjoying myself a lot (still very early on) but it's probably very dependent on your tolerance of technical issues like visual glitches/poor performance

The general concensus seems to be that the games are some of the best in the series but are crippled by the aforementioned issues

Is there a recommended order of gyms to beat?

Also, I finally get what people meant when they said SV is not nearly as snappy as Arceus. Specially throwing Pokéballs feels extremely worse. I also miss the dodge-jump.

The music in this game is mostly great, but boy does the gym leader music take a nosedive when they send out their ace. I don’t know why they brought back the stupid crowd chanting bit from Sw/Sh, it really hurt the gym leader music there too, and here IMO it’s even worse. I just don’t care for it at all.

Quoted by: Leo
Recommended Order Of Gyms/Star Bases
Is there a recommended order of gyms to beat?

Also, I finally get what people meant when they said SV is not nearly as snappy as Arceus. Specially throwing Pokéballs feels extremely worse. I also miss the dodge-jump.
This map should help. The order includes all mission gyms and Star bases, blurred ones are the titans.

The music in this game is mostly great, but boy does the gym leader music take a nosedive when they send out their ace. I don’t know why they brought back the stupid crowd chanting bit from Sw/Sh, it really hurt the gym leader music there too, and here IMO it’s even worse. I just don’t care for it at all.

I haven't listened to the SV theme yet, but the chanting in SwSh sends thrills through my spine. I still smile whenever I listen to it, it's so good.

SwSh had the best gym battle format in the franchise, it's such a shame they're trapped in such bad games.

I haven't listened to the SV theme yet, but the chanting in SwSh sends thrills through my spine. I still smile whenever I listen to it, it's so good.

SwSh had the best gym battle format in the franchise, it's such a shame they're trapped in such bad games.
I LOVE the regular gym music from Sw/Sh, so high energy and bumping, it might be my favorite gym music in the series. But I admit, I like it a lot less once the crowd chanting kicks in. I don’t know what it is about it, I just don’t like it. Might be related to how I just don’t like the whole sporting event feel to it all. But I’m glad some people like it! Overall, I’m very much enjoying the music I’m this game.

The game is great and lots of fun, but performance is worst than I thought. Frame drops are constant, missing grounds, texture and wild pop in are nowhere near acceptable (I still can't put the game down - it makes a really good point on Pokemon being a really really phenomenal experience)
That's too bad then. I guess all we can do is hope for some patches to fix the hiccups. Can't we have a new gen without some major issue, GameFreak please?

For all the complaints of game too easy, I’m certainly not finding that to be the case. Been getting bashed up by lvl 20+ Pokémon in the areas I’m trying to explore cause I’m only lvl 10 atm.

For all the complaints of game too easy, I’m certainly not finding that to be the case. Been getting bashed up by lvl 20+ Pokémon in the areas I’m trying to explore cause I’m only lvl 10 atm.
Honestly I haven't found many complaints that the game is too easy, if anything it's the opposite (relative to other games in the series). Probably, if I had to guess, since EXP gain is much more player determined (no forced trainer battles or random encounters)

The difficulty discussion seems to be more around options like removing set mode and some talk about level scaling

The game is going to be big.

I couldnt get a double pack, since it sold out in Costa Rica (small market and all)...

Last edited:
My team of adorable faces two Pokemon Centers in...
scarletteam1.png

Wtf, I just got game over-ed by a Pokémon Trainer :ROFLMAO:
Okay tbf, he had 3 Pokémon and his Pokémon were about 5 levels higher than mine aaaand he had a random Slowking, but still that's a good sign as far as difficulty goes.
Feels like those trainer that hang around the ruins are a bit harder...

I walked into the wrong neighborhood and wiped to a trainer with pokemon 7 levels over mine. This is exactly what I wanted.

Also, props to game freak for having Ralts and Bounsweet literally around the first town.

This game isn't the usual pokemon cakewalk. It's got some Arceus difficulty to it

Is it true that I can get my starter Sprigatito to learn sucker punch even though it's an egg move?? And do I need a female one??
Give Sprigatito or its evolution a Mirror Herb, put another Pokémon in the party that knows Sucker Punch, and do a picnic.

I really like the game's structure, especially how it gives you 3 main missions to tackle and then just lets you do whatever you want in whichever order you feel like.

Plus, it is really fun to explore all areas, so much in fact that I got to the first Gym a bit overleveled, which in turn made it all too easy. I wonder if I will end up wishing they had added level-scaling.

Also, I am not finding the performance issues to be as bad as reported. Yeah, they exist and that's a shame, but I was expecting much worse.

Been playing for a couple of hours now. So far it's not as fresh, polished or fun as Arceus which I was already expecting going in, but it's still pretty okay.
Now that I've been playing some more Im warming up to the game. Its peak comfy just riding on your brute and finding new Pokemon to catch at every corner.

Man the performance issues are really rough.

Only played like half an hour or so, hoping I am able to overlook them more later, right now I had to stop because I was actually starting to feel like I was gonna feel nauseous.

Last edited:
I found it interesting that some Pokémon can't be send to the water with the Let's Go command, but some others can swim

Last edited:
I wonder if I will end up wishing they had added level-scaling
I still wish the Gyms at least had limited level scaling. My first gym actually had some of my team on the ropes because I was underleveled for the fight, but the second one turned to ash at a mere sneeze.

That said running randomly into powerful trainers in the open world is fun. Almost got wiped by some dude five levels above me. I've also been basically just keeping my starter around, rotating out the other five party members as needed to fill out the Pokedex.

Its peak comfy just riding on your brute and finding new Pokemon to catch at every corner
I love catching in this game because I don't need to catch everything haha. I catch one of each species, then the rest my Pokemon can annihilate for EXP and goodies. Just the way I like it.

Back
Top Bottom