• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet |ST| Who You Callin' Paldea, Friend?

EvilChameleon

Rockenberg Enthusiast
Pronouns
he/him
Opening-Banner.png

Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet
Release Date:
November 18th, 2022 for the Nintendo Switch
Developed by Game Freak, and published by Nintendo

1041494458312708217.webp
Hi everyone, Skyla here! Professor Juniper told me about this brand new region called the Paldea region, so I had to hop in my plane and go check it out! The professor has put together a little packet of information for me, and now you, to scour over! Inside you will find everything you need to know about your upcoming journey in Paldea, including the newest things to do, the newest people to meet, and, most importantly, the newest Pokémon to catch!

Whats-New-Banner.png
-A completely open world environment. Go anywhere you want at any time. Challenge any gym at any time. Catch any Pokémon at any time. The world is your Cloyster!
-Three storylines to tackle. Want to take on gyms? The Victory Road storyline is for you. Like battling the evil team? Starfall Street is right up your alley. Want to face some challenging Pokémon? Take on the Path Of Legends storyline. 18 badges are up for grabs!
-The Terastal Phenomenon! Got yourself a Tera Orb? Great! If you use it on a Pokémon, they will become their Tera Type, and become all crystal-like. Only available in Paldea, this new phenomenon is sure to shake up battles for sure!

Whos-New-Banner.png

charactersbanner1.png
-Two professors! Professor Sada and Professor Turo. You'll meet Sada in Scarlet and Turo in Violet. Both are researching the lore of the region.
-Clavell! Clavell is the director of the academy you'll be attending in Paldea! Kind but strict, he's also friends with the local professor.
-Your friend and rival in Nemona. A great battler, she wants everyone to join in on the fun of battling!
-Gym leaders including the streamer Iono, the snowboarder Grusha, and the music man Brassius, and the champion of the Paldea League, Geeta.

New-Mons-Banner.png

newmonsblankstarters.png
-Three brand new starter Pokémon; Sprigatito, Fuecoco & Quaxly! These adorable little friends are ready to help you become the best trainer you can possibly be!
-Many many more new Pokémon to meet along the way, including Fidough, Greavard, Lechonk, & Pawmi.
-Two new box legendaries in Koraidon & Miraidon!
Not only are these two excellent battlers, but they double as ridable Pokémon, letting you traverse the Paldea region with ease.
lengardiesblank.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well there you have it! I hope you found this guide informative, because I sure did! Now go forth, and enjoy your adventure through the Paldea region!
Skyla-Go-Forth-Start.png

Nice ST. Guess this is where I'll be living for a while.

Great ST. Excited to go pick them up for the midnight release. Just a little over 24 hours left!

We're finally here. Dodging the leaks all over the web was absolute torture but we made it!

Picked, Scarlet, picking Sprigatito. Hoping it to evolve into something cool, like Inteleon.

Feel free to add me, my FC is on my page.

Gonna be cool to finally have people to talk to about these games while playing one with internet function. My main Pokémon experience is playing Red and Yellow when I was like 5, Ruby when I was 9, and then a long break until I picked up X, and then Sun. Then another break and I played Sword, and Brilliant Diamond, and a bit of Legends.

Oh and I also played a bit of XD.

Nice ST! Cool to see the Gen 5 love - thanks for guiding us through the skies of Paldea, Skyla!

I don't know if I'll be getting this one at launch because I kinda forgot to preorder the game, oops. I could get it digitally but I prefer getting physical if I can? Alas. Gotta nab a copy for my partner, too, though I won't be able to see them until the weekend after launch. Maybe I'll wait in solidarity? Either way, I'll be jumping into Scarlet at some point with Quaxly by my side!

Anyone know how in depth the co-op aspect of the game is? Is it just running around with your friends, messing about or can you actually do gyms and battle Pokémon together and stuff?

Great ST! Hard to believe this is nearly here. Also funny to remember me thinking back in January that there was no way we were getting a new generation this year.

Also Violet and Quaxly. I've followed the leaks but have avoided watching streams or story/map spoilers so looking forward to the exploration!

Violet and Quaxley for me. I haven’t seen any of the evolutions so absolutely praying they don’t butcher my boy.

Violet and Sprigatito for me. I've avoided spoilers and don't even know the evolutions. Violet is preloaded so might start at midnight if I'm still awake.

When I played Shield I got the other starters through random wonder trades in the first weekend so I'm hoping to get Fuecoco and Quaxly early too as it was so much fun playing through the game with all three starters.

Last edited:
Amazon.de dispatched it around 1 am today. Technically that would be enough time for it to arrive today, but i doubt this will happen.

Scarlet and Fuecoco for me after formerly being Team Quaxly, as i usually always go for the water starter.

Great ST!

14 hours left.. I can do thisss!!! I'm a ride or die Spriggy fan so I can't wait to start my adventure with one!!

Also Smoliv is love, Smoliv is LIFE
I NEED ONE SO BAD!!!

After taking a quick glance at the review thread, I'm now mostly curious about:
  1. if the technical performance of the game is indeed bad enough to hamper my enjoyment, me being someone who was mostly unbothered by Rune Factory 5;
  2. if I will like a more classic Pokemon formula put in an open world setting, as someone who was ambivalent towards Legends Arceus; and
  3. if the design quality of the Pokemon is more in line with my tastes, since I thought the Galar dex was not that good

Has someone of you the game and can comment on the handheld performance?

Im someone who normal isnt bothered by technical issues. However seeing the reviews those games seem to be in a really rought state. But at least one review said that the game was running better in handheld.

As i someone who will play 99% in Handheld i would really love to get an opionion from someone who played it already in handheld.

Im someone who normal isnt bothered by technical issues. However seeing the reviews those games seem to be in a really rought state. But at least one review said that the game was running better in handheld.

As i someone who will play 99% in Handheld i would really love to get an opionion from someone who played it already in handheld.
according to gamexplain, the game runs better in handheld mode than in docked mode

according to gamexplain, the game runs better in handheld mode than in docked mode
Yeah that was the review that i mend. However in some other reviews they said its the same. Which really confuses me :D so it would be great to hear from someone here who already has it how they find the performance.

ok just in case others are curious. I just asked a friend who played the game for around 2 hours in tv mode and now switched for me to handheld mode for 15minutes. He also says it runs a lot better in handheld for him. So thats enough for me to preorder the game now too.

Weird that handhold mode is better, but hey, it's how the majority of Pokemon games are played so I'm on board.

Game on TV runs the same as Arceus did at launch. Game on handheld runs slightly better than that. Likely patches will improve both like Arceus.

TV or handheld, doesn't matter, both are OLED for me. ;D
damn i seriously kinda regret not buying the OLED Switch at this point. But money is short and the Steam Deck gives me more value for sure. But to imagine playing Pokemon now on the OLED or earlier this Year Xenoblade 3.... im sure it would be amazing.

damn i seriously kinda regret not buying the OLED Switch at this point. But money is short and the Steam Deck gives me more value for sure. But to imagine playing Pokemon now on the OLED or earlier this Year Xenoblade 3.... im sure it would be amazing.

At this point, i wouldn't buy one. At least not anytime soon, as there's a chance we get a Drake (Pro) announcement in early 2023.

Whatever Switch you have will be okay and enough for handheld ScarVio.

THIRTEEN HOURS REMAIN

I'm so excited to lose sleep to play for a couple hours

Despite reviews being a little down, I am pretty excited for these games. I can't wait to play co-op with my cousin who is getting back into the series since Gen 2.

Now that the game is actually out in some regions, the "real" dataminers have started posting information and discoveries.

This is good news. While I had fun participating in the occasional manipulated shiny raid, this is clearly better for the health of the game.

--

New marks and ribbons for any mark fanatics like me. I love that there is a Surprise Trade Ribbon now.

Last edited:
From what I hear this game is 30 to 40 hours long this time around, is that right? That’s much longer that pretty much every mainline game. If so that’s honestly quite exciting.

Still not sure what starter I'm going to pick. I actually like all 3, which I know I'm in the minority. Before the final evos came out I was sure I was getting Fuecoco. But Quaxly's final evo has me reconsidering. As much as I like to make my team before playing the game, the universal exp share allows me room to experiment with other Pokemon.

Now that the game is actually out in some regions, the "real" dataminers have started posting information and discoveries.

This is good news. While I had fun participating in the occasional manipulated shiny raid, this is clearly better for the health of the game.

--

New marks and ribbons for any mark fanatics like me. I love that there is a Surprise Trade Ribbon now.

I just remembered I'm still in the middle of my Sword Marklocke. Maybe I'll wrap that up while I wait for Violet to unlock tonight.

--

crypto, in my Pokémon?!

The Pokemon planner has reminded me that, much like Gen 8, there aren't a lot of interesting/good new Ground type mons in this game. Hmmm... I might just end up lacking electric coverage, oh well.

The Pokemon planner has reminded me that, much like Gen 8, there aren't a lot of interesting/good new Ground type mons in this game. Hmmm... I might just end up lacking electric coverage, oh well.
sad Clodsire noises

Also the Donphans are pretty sick, but they're more into late game I guess

Ok after 3 hours, my opinions:

• I ain't gonna sugarcoat it, framerate is bad. If you manage to look beyond, this is literally the best poké game in a decade.
  • There's no flaw that cannot be fixed with a stronger console refresh. Framerate, pop-ins even some of the glitches. Which makes me think this might have been supposed to launch alongside of Switch Pro.
  • QoL's are delicious. TM shop is available from the beginning which helps you strategize from get go.
  • I love to bookcase style of pokédex
  • Lots of handholding at the start of the game but I expect it to be gone soon.
  • Pokémon are tiny, it's easy to miss some as you play
  • Let's Go is super useful but silly Sprigatito gets beaten too often...
  • I absolutely love the battle music.

sad Clodsire noises

Also the Donphans are pretty sick, but they're more into late game I guess
Yeah, I considered maybe using Iron Treads but I have so many other Pokemon I like and want to use that I don't think I'll do it just for electric coverage. I'll live. (doing a Gen 9 Pokemon-only run, as I always do with a new gen)

Just confirmed with my local target that they have the purchase bonus figure coming in... will be heading over at 8am tomorrow for the dual pack! First physical game in a whiiiiile, and first in-store game in foreeeever!!

Back
Top Bottom