• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet |ST| Who You Callin' Paldea, Friend?

This man is a legend

He isn’t able to beat the entire game. The fighting base’s Annihilape is what stops him. But he is able to finish the Titan and Victory Road stories.

Finished this just now.

I have a lot of mixed thoughts.

The open world template is amazing, the non sequential progression is amazing, the game is easy to lose hours upon hours to, and just exploring every pixel and square inch of the maps is delightfully compelling; the new battle gimmick is their best one yet, the co-op and network implementation is surprisingly above par, the soundtrack is fantastic, the story and characters are extremely ambitious and well realized.

The issue is that a lot of what it goes for gets undermined by the jank and the technical issues, by how lacking the visuals can often feel; the lack of polish is truly and honestly astonishing, especially given that this is a Nintendo game. Additionally, the regressions from Pokemon Legends are extremely frustrating and totally unnecessary. There are cuts such as the lack of true indoors or dungeon style areas, which is really unfortunate, especially given the series' traditionally strong history there (and it makes the cities feel totally blah and uneventful, again a shame given how strong the series was on this front).

Overall, it's got some great ideas, but a future game that reconciles both this and Legends, and gets actual proper development time and polish, is probably going to end up being the ultimate form of what they're going for. It's good to see they're being ambitious and actively trying new things now, rather than sticking to what works like before, so I won't begrudge them their missteps this time, particularly the core game we got is surprisingly good. It's not even close to Legends level, mind you, but it's definitely the best numbered gen game we've gotten this side of the original DS.

I swear there's something wrong with my shiny odds. I found two full odds shinies during my regular playthrough. I've now down 7 different outbreaks WITH shiny sandwiches WITH the shiny charm and nothing. Have also tried to Masuda method 2 different Pokemon, also had to give up. Bruh.

I’m up to 392 in my Dex now.

Please can someone give me a vague hint on what I need to do for the following evolutions please (don’t tell me outright but a clue would be much appreciated)

Anhilape:

Charcadette

Quoted by: Leo
Jesus I don't know what's a worse grind, to evolve Anihilape or to get one via raid. I've fought like 5 of them with people online and we got our asses kicked everytime.

It's the last pokemon I need to complete the dex, I might just give up and do the thing to evolve one.

I’m up to 392 in my Dex now.

Please can someone give me a vague hint on what I need to do for the following evolutions please (don’t tell me outright but a clue would be much appreciated)

Anhilape:

Charcadette

Both need to acquire their ghost type. Anihilape develops a grudge built on many battles, Ceruledge inherits a grudge from a cursed artifact.

Jesus I don't know what's a worse grind, to evolve Anihilape or to get one via raid. I've fought like 5 of them with people online and we got our asses kicked everytime.

It's the last pokemon I need to complete the dex, I might just give up and do the thing to evolve one.
Are you looking to keep one or just have it listed in your Pokédex? If it's the latter we can trade/trade back mine.

If it's the former, assuming you have a Primeape of the proper level, I think the grind is easier than the raid, if still a bit time consuming. Use Rage Fist on a bunch of encounters, drain all of its PP twice, then use a Rare Candy to level it up.

Are you looking to keep one or just have it listed in your Pokédex? If it's the latter we can trade/trade back mine.

If it's the former, assuming you have a Primeape of the proper level, I think the grind is easier than the raid, if still a bit time consuming. Use Rage Fist on a bunch of encounters, drain all of its PP twice, then use a Rare Candy to level it up.

Yeah I actually want one I can use, that's why haven't traded it yet. But thanks for the offer anyway! I'm trying to get one from raids because of the better IVs, but so far it's the only 6 star raid i haven't been able to win.

Yeah I actually want one I can use, that's why haven't traded it yet. But thanks for the offer anyway! I'm trying to get one from raids because of the better IVs, but so far it's the only 6 star raid i haven't been able to win.
Perhaps you could Bottle Cap the IVs? With how many sellable items you can get from raids, shouldn't be too hard to afford it.

Quoted by: Leo
Perhaps you could Bottle Cap the IVs? With how many sellable items you can get from raids, shouldn't be too hard to afford it.

Yeah I'm trying to save bottles caps and use maybe one or two to max good iv pokemon, but I'm might just cave in and evolve one my primeapes

Got a shiny Scovillain, so now I have two Mareep, a Phanphy, and a Gyrados. All before the shiny charm and now that I have the shiny charm....nothing lol.

Tera Battles need some sort of pop-up reminding people their Pokemon is weak to the original or Tera type, so many people struggle to understand both for some reason

Done, I've finally evolved Primeape and complete the Pokedex after 100h. It hit me this is the first time I completed the Pokedex in a main game (I've done it in Arceus) and this is surely a testament to how enthralling the game is.

I'm also messing around with the meta game for the first time. I've played showdown before back in gen 5 before megas ruined it for me, but this is the first time I'm doing it in an actual Pokémon game. I still have to get used to doubles being the standard format as I'm a total noob on how these work out of a surface level, but I think the game is accessible enough now that I'm willing to invest on it.

Tera Battles need some sort of pop-up reminding people their Pokemon is weak to the original or Tera type, so many people struggle to understand both for some reason
Most of the raid Pokémon don't run Tera Blast. Serebii has the movesets for them, the same Pokémon will usually have the same coverage even with different Tera types

Most of the raid Pokémon don't run Tera Blast. Serebii has the movesets for them, the same Pokémon will usually have the same coverage even with different Tera types

I know that, by weak I mean they brought a Pokemon to counter the Pokemon's original typing and then have nothing offensive against the Tera type.

Although ironically we did have a raid fail just yesterday when I was doing a ghost type Espeon who everyone apart from me brought ghost mons to, and it kept Tera Blasting and killing people. We had no shot of winning lmao

I know that, by weak I mean they brought a Pokemon to counter the Pokemon's original typing and then have nothing offensive against the Tera type.
That's fine. If you're gonna boost anyway neutral STAB is good enough, taking hits is more important than squeezing out the extra damage, and it's not something you can build for consistently anyway

So how are people going with Cinderace? don't have my Switch on me atm.
Special attacking Psychic and Flying types primarily. The key moves to plan around are Iron Head (avoid Fairy-types) and Bulk Up (debuff it and/or focus on special moves).

Armarouge/Ceruledge is probably the best support mon if only because Clear Smog spam is the most consistent way of reversing Bulk Ups even after Cinderace shields. Reflect is also great if they can get it up as is Acid Spray

I've won a couple with Unaware Skeledirge but it's not consistent. Opportunist Espathra I've seen to mixed results, Slowtwins have also been been popping up. People like Stored Power but it takes forever to get going and you're just begging for Cinderace to wipe your boosts, or, worse, crit through and KO

Anyone got a good nickname idea for the shiny Murkrow I just caught? He's purple, but all I got is Pimpkrow (at least I have a dusk stone ready to evolve into Honchkrow after I get to level 40)

Beat Cinderace today! Had Slowbro/King allies while I used Clear Smog Flash Fire Ceruledge. I'm breeding Scorbunnies to send out in Wonder Trade, if anyone wants one LMK.

Beat Cinderace today! Had Slowbro/King allies while I used Clear Smog Flash Fire Ceruledge. I'm breeding Scorbunnies to send out in Wonder Trade, if anyone wants one LMK.
FlMcPZUakAEJdNX

My winning team was quite interesting and fun, no one ever died or even came close to it. I ran bulky Armarouge with fling, reflect, trick room and clear smog.

Maybe for Switch 3, GF will be able to make a remake of Scarlett. 9_9

The big thing with things like that is Game Freak prefer certain color palettes, and the world is meant to look more like 2d animation. I don't think they'll ever use more muted colors, realistic skin, etc. I also don't think they'll ever use much post processing. DOF is never going to be something used a lot, because it's not used in most 2D animations.

I think the next Pokemon game will continue to be an evolution of those things, but with higher textures, etc on the Switch 2. If you look at the skin up close on characters, there's a lot of detail combined with the cartoony nature. Characters like Miriam actually have makeup that's not easy to see faraway, she actually has a bunch of glitter on her face when you zoom in.

I know it's a joke but I think it's interesting to talk about what is most likely to stay and go as Game Freak continues.

Wow I didn't know meteor showers could happen in this game. I was playing last night and then shooting stars lit up the night sky and I was stunned in surprise. Was pretty cool.

What's everyone's pick for best track in the soundtrack? For me, I'd have to go with one of the following:
- Penny battle theme
- Area Zero theme
- Final boss theme (name withheld for spoiler reasons)

What's everyone's pick for best track in the soundtrack? For me, I'd have to go with one of the following:
- Penny battle theme
- Area Zero theme
Probably the same, but specifically the Area Zero paradox battle theme (the version with the heavy percussion) and an honourable mention to the Team Star leader and Academy Ace battle themes.

- Penny battle theme
- Area Zero theme
I like everything except the E4 theme (feels very boring, easily one of the worst yet) and the Champion theme (again, boring and for whatever reason its instruments sound kind of badly mixed). Honestly one of the nicer Pokemon soundtracks of the series as a full package in my book.

Hope the slight thread bump isn't an issue, but I was wondering when do you think the first performance patch might be released?
According to patch history on previous games, though I'm not sure there's a precedent regarding S/V's situation (with Nintendo officially announcing patches dedicated to improve performance and such).
I'm playing the game a lot again after the holidays and really can't wait to have a better experience while I'm completing stuff.
Basic QOL features would be welcome too but that's probably expecting too much.

Hope the slight thread bump isn't an issue, but I was wondering when do you think the first performance patch might be released?
According to patch history on previous games, though I'm not sure there's a precedent regarding S/V's situation (with Nintendo officially announcing patches dedicated to improve performance and such).
I'm playing the game a lot again after the holidays and really can't wait to have a better experience while I'm completing stuff.
Basic QOL features would be welcome too but that's probably expecting too much.
From what precedent we have, there should be a patch by the end of February to go along with the DLC announcement, which will likely contain at least some fixes. It's not a straightforward thing to predict, though.

Nearly done with the game until the first (or only) DLC.

Beat Area Zero, and what came afterwards.
Got nearly all Pokemon (only missing 2 Violet version exclusives Eiscue and Ceruledge, Miraidon and the Violet Paradoxes)
Yeah ...

A few notes ...

Raids. Raids are pretty cool when you can get a 6 star one and get a 5 perfect IV Pokemon. Got nearly all Violet exclusives this way.
Raids suck when 7/10 are "You weren't able to join" and some of the remaining ones are either a japanese host abandoning the raid for some reason (legit never happened with other hosts so far!) or when some players aren't able to understand how that Tera stuff works.

No randomplayer8717, you do not bring your Steel Tera Steel Pokemon in against a Ice Tera Armarouge. Why you ask? BECAUSE IT'S A FIRE POKEMON USING FIRE ATTACKS... sorry ... it sucks.

Next up breeding.
I either do something wrong, or the time until you finally find eggs for some Pokemon are laughably long. I once tried to breed a 4 perfect IV Toxtricity with a 5 IV Ditto from a 6* raid and didn't get a single egg in 12 minutes. Yes, i actually took note of the time.
Plus, unlike in previous games, doing breeding via Picnic means you're locked in that mode until you get what you want. No fiddling around with the boxes, no doing some restyling of your character. Nothing, because you cannot do shit in that mode outside of throwing a stupid little ball (exaggeration).

I hope Gamefreak puts some fixes / improvements for these things in the game at the very least with the DLC. Cause right now, it sucks.

Oh and, allow Paradox mons to appear in 6* raids, thanks. I kinda wanna finish my dex this time.

After many fails at outbreaks and egg hatching I finally got one of the shinies I really wanted 💗 (Paradox mon below)
FmCc6NdaEAAa25M

Wait, eggs? I thought the paradox mons aren't Ditto breedable?

@Bonejack They aren't, I meant I failed at a bunch of different outbreaks and eggs of other Pokemon haha. Nearly every Pokemon I hunted I failed so was super happy to get my knight in one sandwich.

Finally journeyed to the crater...

I avoided spoilers as best I could, but still caught some rumblings that the final stretch of Scarlet & Violet's story was special. Even so I wasn't prepared. What a turnaround from the abridged ending of Sword & Shield of just one generation ago. And for the first time a Pokemon game made me believe I was watching a bunch of friends - something the series has been trying since forever.

Anyone know if some patches have happened yet for performance? I’m waiting anxiously to buy Violet to see if they manage to fix some of the bigger issues? Or maybe they did already?

Man, what a long wait. I think i've shelved the game by then until DLC comes out.

I hope Gamefreak adds the Paradox mons to 6* before that, i really only need the Violet ones, Miraidon, Eiscue and Ceruledge to finish my dex.

"Late February" likely meaning February 27th.

Feels like we're definitely getting (yet) another Pokémon Day Presents then uh. SwSh's DLC was announced on Jan 9th so I half expected it to be this week but alas!

They've honestly worked towards making Pokémon Day a bigger deal year after year, not so bad to always have a solid date to look forward to as somebody who's into the franchise I guess! lol

Looks like we got a flurry of smaller announcements:

The next 7 star Pokemon will be Poison, but they won't reveal which Pokemon it is yet. Maybe Greninja?

Fairy Tandemaus for Valentine's Day is pretty cute.

Minor update for HOME.

That Home update is concerning, because it suggests the actual big update will probably be later on in the "spring" timeframe.

It's definitely weird. I'd assume adding Home compatibility wouldn't be that much of a resource hog to require a several month delay.

Back
Top Bottom