• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet |ST| Who You Callin' Paldea, Friend?

The gym leader rematches are all kinda pushovers, aren’t they? 65 is just not enough. Feels like they should be 70+. My team is in the high 60s, and I’ve been one-shotting basically every leader’s Pokémon. At least I really like all the gym leaders as characters.

Anyway, five rematches down, three to go. Then the tournament. Then I might be done with Scarlet I guess.

I have many, many lore related questions about the Violet Paradoxes that I assume will never be answered

I hate that every single one has the same Pokedex entry "idk fam, we don't know shit" Like, at least make a fun observation or something

Would it be silly to try and find someone willing to let me borrow a Pokemon capable of defeating the 7-Star Charizard raid and then giving them back? Because I'm worried about missing it the second time around ahh

Crossposting from the general discussion thread because I want the attention

That’s Scarlet wrapped up for me I think. Gym rematches and Ace Tournament completed.

All in all, I liked the game. Way more than I expected to when I first started and saw how bad the performance was. I really enjoyed the characters and the story. The new Pokémon are pretty much all great, and I’ve got some new favorites now. I liked most of the music, with the Team Star themes being the best. And overall, the game is fun to play.

But there are some really big negatives. The performance is obviously the worst - there’s nothing I can say that hasn’t been said already, but it’s brutally bad and never gets any better. There were plenty of times when the slowdown really took me out of the experience. The lack of any VA whatsoever really takes away from some of the heavier moments in the story, and at other times it just makes everything plain goofy. And then there are the visuals, which are almost as bad as the performance. This is an ugly video game. From the low res textures to the garish color palette, the entire game is one gigantic eyesore.

All that said, I still liked it. It was a lot of fun! It makes me hopeful for the future of mainline Pokémon titles. Pokémon Legends Arceus is still my favorite Pokémon game ever, of course, but Game Freak has a solid foundation to build on here. If they get the slowdown under control, work on the visuals just a bit, and bring over a lot of the QOL features from PLA, they’d have the perfect Pokémon game.

Doesn't seem like the trade thread here is too active, so figured I would check here too. Is there anyone who would be willing to trade me Koraidon for Miraidon? It can be a trade back situation as well, that's fine with me.

I finally got a random person to trade me a Koraidon on link trade, glad that's finally over with lol

I finally got the chance to watch this solo run put out by Jrose. He beats Scarlet with Fuecoco. Now Skeledirge would be super easy because of Torch Song, but Fuecoco doesn’t get Torch Song. It’s really interesting to see Jrose do basically a blind run with a first stage starter.

SPOILER WARNING for ScarVio

I have many, many lore related questions about the Violet Paradoxes that I assume will never be answered

I hate that every single one has the same Pokedex entry "idk fam, we don't know shit" Like, at least make a fun observation or something
The more elaborate Pokedex entries for Violet Paradoxes are in Scarlet, though they're still pretty vague.

At least this one will be physical, so we can farm Protein

My guess for the set:

Moves
High Jump Kick
Pyro Ball
Gunk Shot/Iron Head
Sucker Punch/U-turn
Additional Moves
Bulk Up/Swords Dance
Tera Blast
Sunny Day
Super Fang

Now that we know how Charizard turned out, we should have a rough sense of what to expect with Cinderace. Unlike with Charizard, we know Cinderace is gonna be physical because its SpA is so much worse than its Atk; Shadow Ball and Electro Ball are not moves someone ought to worry about. Cinderace is monotype before going Tera, so it's only got one STAB move and one Tera-type move, and those two are its strongest options. Charizard filled out Fire/Flying/Dragon with Focus Blast, since it didn't have much else for special options (it picking a physical coverage move was a real concern, mind you), while Cinderace gets two slots to work with for coverage. I figure one slot will be used for Fairies and the other will be used for Psychics, so Acrobatics or Zen Headbutt wouldn't do much for it. Cinderace doesn't have anything for Flying-types, so it'll have to rely on Pyro Ball.

Overheat into stat drop removal probably isn't happening here so it's tough to say what it might pull out (I'm a little surprised it can't learn Close Combat). Boosting moves are always strong on raid mons, and we were fortunate that Charizard didn't have any, though there it'll probably only go for one boost, and there is counterplay. Tera Blast and Sunny Day were fine on Charizard and there's no reason for those to not return here. Super Fang is an off-beat tech that doesn't fit the regular moveset but can suck to get hit by. Other potential options here would be Snarl (for lowering the squad's SpA, not for damage), Taunt, or Will-o-Wisp, though I'm not sure how useful those would end up being. Cinderace doesn't really have strong alternative STAB options like Charizard had and something like Low Kick or Reversal doesn't make much sense in this context.

I'm assuming that they're going to give it a highly tuned and aggressive set, but it's possible that we see something more tame with less powerful moves or worse coverage. It's tough to say how indicative Charizard was in this respect, given the power of STAB Hurricane on neutral hits, but it's better to over-prepare than to under-prepare.

Azumarill: I'd expect to see a bunch of people pull out their old lizard-slaying bunnies to fight the newcomer veteran bunny with the same strategy as before. Gunk Shot could be scary if it comes up, but since Cinderace is physical, Azumarill's access to Charm and Tickle give it some extra support utility this time.

Skeledirge: Bulky and resists Pyro Ball, though Sucker Punch might hurt. The strategy with this thing is to click Torch Song repeatedly. Slack Off, Will-O-Wisp, Mud-Slap, and Helping Hand can round out the set, but you can also just slap on a Metronome or a Choice Specs and go to town.

Slowtwins: Can Belly Drum themselves, but it's way funnier if you use Psych Up on an ally that already used it. Atk isn't great but makes up for it with bulk and support options. For those lacking internal dawgs, special attacking sets can boost up with Nasty Plot. Slowking's Def is a little worse but it's the best Reflect user because Slowbro can't learn it in SV.

Annihilape: The play here is to spam Screech for the benefit of physical attacking allies, then start throwing out Rage Fists. Needs physical bulk investment to take the edge off Pyro Balls, but at least this time it's not weak to one of the STAB moves. There aren't many bulky Screechers that aren't weak to Fighting, so this is as good as it gets unless you want Koraidon to give Cinderace free sunlight.

Charcadet evolutions: Armarouge can throw up Psychic Terrain and gamer combo into Expanding Force. Ceruledge has Swords Dance to set up and throws out Bitter Blades. Both get Reflect, which is definitely an important support move, and Clear Smog, which could be used to counter Swords Dance or Bulk Up but might interfere with other strategies.

Dondozo: Doesn't resist Fighting but is too fat to care. Spam Tickle to assist other physical attackers and blunt the damage output, and eventually you can start hitting it with Zen Headbutt. Note that Unaware is bad in conjunction with Tickle and you want Oblivious or Water Veil. If Cinderace goes for Sunny Day, you can counter with Rain Dance and switch to a Water STAB.

Dachsbun: Yeah I know but it's actually better than last time, its physical Def is better than its SpD. Won't do much damage but can run a decent support set with its pick of Charm, Mud-Slap, Helping Hand, Howl, and Play Rough.

Goodra: Unless you want to run Eviolite Shellder this is the best Life Dew user. Has Charm as well Acid Spray, the latter of which can be helpful if allies bring special attackers. Won't do a ton of damage but should be a decent supporter. Acid Armor+Body Press is also an option, though it may be undone fairly quickly.

Charizard: Resists both Fire and Flying and can't be burned, but the lack of bulk means even neutral coverage moves will do a chunk. I'm thinking Sitrus Berry/Belly Drum into Acrobatics spam is the play here, since Zard can't boost its SpA outside of Solar Power. Swords Dance is also an option if you need juice but don't want to risk Belly Drum, and Smokescreen can sometimes cheese if it needs to.

Iron Hands: The classic raid drummer, should be able to eat a hit and get off a Belly Drum. Doesn't have resistances to Fire or Fighting so it's gonna have to lean on its physical bulk to pull through.

Grumpig: Has Thick Fat to resist Pyro Ball, though it might still get rolled by coverage moves. Gets Reflect, Mud-Slap, and Psychic Terrain for support, Nasty Plot to boost itself up. Kinda bad but maybe it works?

Accuracy-lowering moves: Mud-slap, Sand Attack, Smokescreen. We don't know if/when Cinderace will clear its debuffs but laying these down early is usually a good idea

Attack-lowering moves: Charm is the best option here but there's also stuff like Tickle. If/when Cinderace clears debuffs you have to set this up again, but it can still be worthwhile

Will-o-Wisp: Burning is good for the Atk drop, the dot doesn't matter

Reflect: 5/8 turns of halved Atk is pretty good against physical attackers, worth slotting onto something that gets it if your allies don't have it. Unlike the above moves Cinderace can't clear this unless it has Court Change for some reason

Helping Hand: One of those moves that you should run on anything with an empty slot that can get it. If you're not set up and your ally is, it's more effective to just boost them further

Psychic Terrain: Assuming Cinderace runs Sucker Punch, this can shut that down completely and boost the damage output of bulky Psychics

Rain Dance: Can be used to counter Sunny Day when that comes up but otherwise I wouldn't bother. Snowscape also does the same thing for these purposes

I need Palafin, Scizor, and Slowking to complete my dex

Help
You can get em from raids

Last edited:
Progress! Over the weekend i cleared the last gym, the last Team Star boss, and then the league and the aftermath of Operation Starfall.

Clavell was Clive? Holy shit, didn't see that coming! wink wink

After the E4 announced Geeta as the best champion so far, i expected a difficult fight ... what happened was Skeledirge solo-ing the team.
... the E4 were "more" difficult than her.

So that means i'm actually in Area Zero now. Creepy. Bright. Too much Venomoth.

I also found my second shiny! A Dratini even. So i now have a shiny Dragonite!

I think my greatest Pokemon achievement is never having found a shiny in an official Pokemon game

Not counting the story-related shinies like Gyarados in G/S/C or Ponyta in Arceus, prior to ScarVio i got a whooping 1 shiny. A Zubat with shitty everything in X/Y.
And in ScarVio, my first was a Stunky.

So after two insults from the game, i consider the useable shiny Dragonite as an apology.

I also need all of those, I will be online 7h from now if you want to meet up :)

EDIT: I don't think I have metal coat or king's rock though, do you have them?
Both can be purchased. Metal Coat in Levincia and King's Rock in Mesagoza.

Both can be purchased. Metal Coat in Levincia and King's Rock in Mesagoza.

Nice, thanks!

Shops in this game are a clusterfuck, there are like 10 shops in every city and I never bother checking them all nor can I remember where to find something if I need it.

Nice, thanks!

Shops in this game are a clusterfuck, there are like 10 shops in every city and I never bother checking them all nor can I remember where to find something if I need it.

Yeah, this.

I don't think i've checked any shop after the main city ones, looks like i missed out a bit on items.

The lack of markers to put on the map is a very silly if not outright bad decision in a game of this format, finding the stakes is very boring and it gets worse since we can't mark which ones we came thru. Time to just outright cheat with a guide!

I also need all of those, I will be online 7h from now if you want to meet up :)

EDIT: I don't think I have metal coat or king's rock though, do you have them?
You can buy them from the Delibird shops. Messagoza's has Kings Rock, Levincia for Metal Coat

But yeah, I'd be glad to meet up and get those taken care of!

Shops in this game are a clusterfuck
I have beef with the clothing shops because I think they should have been categorized by their fashion style instead of what article of clothing they sell. Would make them a lot easier to remember.

The lack of markers to put on the map is a very silly if not outright bad decision in a game of this format
Think that's a symptom of how underbaked the open world design is.

I really hate that there is no obvious signs of shinies in the overworld without running into one. I found a group of Phanphy and it's shiny sucks. I only noticed because I stopped and looked at it for more than a few seconds and was like is it a shiny or a lighting glitch? So that's 4 shinies now without a charm or method.

Last edited:
Finished the game. Got all 400 pokemon. Beat every possible person there is. Did tera raids. Did all side quests. Got pokemon not part of the dex. Done with it.

Overal aside from performance issues, I think it was a good game. The story was definitely better than Sword/Shield. Area Zero is the highlight for me.

Just heard an argument that the Wii (not Wii U) could have run this game fine in 480p, like there'd be no issue if it'd had released with the same ambitions in 2009 or so.
I mean, I don't have much knowledge in game development and such but to me this sounds completely wrong (and stupid), even with development from people more competent than Game Freak.
But maybe I'm wrong?
There's a lot more involved in game engine, logic, physics and rendering outside of native resolution, right?
Xenoblade comes to mind but I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near comparable despite the open world approach in both.

Last edited:
Fought Ortega yesterday, what an icon. So unapologetically gay.

I love how Team Star's bosses were all classic stereotypes of bullied kids (gay kid, computer nerd, introvert kid, goth girl, masculine looking girl) but subverted in a way that makes them look extremely cool highlighting the exact same characteristics that caused them be bullied in the first place. Ortega using fairy types is the perfect example of this in a meta way, since "fairy" is used as a homophobic slur in our world. I'm pretty sure someone at GF has been watching RPDR lol

The Star boss battles were also some of the best moments of the games, killer music, atmosphere, I love how extra the bosses and Revavroom look, and they were actually quite challenging. Three of the Revavroom made me game over a couple times before I could beat them (I'm alternating between two teams so I'm usually a bit underleveled).

I really enjoyed EV training for the first time with Azumaril for the Charizard raids and so am starting to think about doing the same for the upcoming Delibird and Cinderace events.

Has anyone got any suggestions of what Pokémon I should start working on? I’m still struggling to wrap my head around Tera typing and also struggle at times with the normal Type charts outside of the super obvious (does anyone have some easy tips to help me remember on the fly?)

I really enjoyed EV training for the first time with Azumaril for the Charizard raids and so am starting to think about doing the same for the upcoming Delibird and Cinderace events.

Has anyone got any suggestions of what Pokémon I should start working on? I’m still struggling to wrap my head around Tera typing and also struggle at times with the normal Type charts outside of the super obvious (does anyone have some easy tips to help me remember on the fly?)
There’s an EV training method implying raids? There’s still so much stuff I don’t know about those games

There’s an EV training method implying raids? There’s still so much stuff I don’t know about those games

Sorry, I don’t know what you mean. I assume EV training is not new to the series though (not sure if it has changed this time)

Any word on a new patch? I know there was one on Dec 2nd, but I’m still having performance issues. Playing on OLED Switch with a physical version. (I buy 99% of my games digitally; I don’t know what compelled me to buy a physical version of Pokémon…)

Any word on a new patch? I know there was one on Dec 2nd, but I’m still having performance issues. Playing on OLED Switch with a physical version. (I buy 99% of my games digitally; I don’t know what compelled me to buy a physical version of Pokémon…)
The only official word we have for a new patch is the one for HOME compatibility coming in Spring.

It's also worth noting that the 1.1 patch was not intended to fix any performance issues (beyond possibly fixing the memory leak, not sure if that was ever confirmed).

The only official word we have for a new patch is the one for HOME compatibility coming in Spring.

It's also worth noting that the 1.1 patch was not intended to fix any performance issues (beyond possibly fixing the memory leak, not sure if that was ever confirmed).
the 1.1 patch was intended to fix a few bugs like the E4 and Champion theme looping bug. Nintendo is aware and has acknowledged SV's performance issues and are seemingly trying to resolve it as we speak. That supposed patch just isn't going to be 1.1 but a later patch.

Rolled credits yesterday, what a fantastic ending. This is the best story a Pokémon game ever had (arguably the only good one actually). I was invested in the mystery surrounding Area Zero and I genuinely cared about the characters, especially Arven. It's very rare for me to get this invested into the story of a videogame.

I think overall Scar/Vio are my fourth favorite gen, behind gens 1, 2, and 3. Yes, it ended up outclassing gen 4 for me. The "favorite gen" criteria is how I feel about the games on an emotional level so it also take into consideration nostalgia and such. Objectively, I would say this this the second best Pokémon game after HGSS.

I hope GF can keep improving on this formula and finding ways to make every game unique and fresh even if following the open world structure. I think this is the biggest challenge from now on.

Also, the game doesn't get enough credit for the humongous amount of content it offers. I clocked 80h to finish the game (although I did invest a lot of time into the Pokedex, I caught around 320 pokemon), and there's still a lot I have left unfinished without counting the post game content. It's surreal to be playing a pokémon game like this after a decade of dry as fuck experiences. I really hope GF is stably back on track after this, I missed enjoying their games.

Last edited:
Rolled credits yesterday, what a fantastic ending. This is the best story a Pokémon game ever had (arguably the only good one actually). I was invested in the mystery surrounding Area Zero and I genuinely cared about the characters, especially Arven. It's very rare for me to get this invested into the story of a videogame.
My exact reaction to the story was surprise/shock that I was actualy feeling emotions in a Pokemon game. Nothing in the past managed to get a reaction out of me, outside of particularly amusing comedic lines from NPCs which are always work a chuckle, but I was genuinely wide eyed at some points of SV, I'd easily call it "the first good story" too.

Just like @Leo , i had the credits rolling today and mi impressions are fairly similar to his.

I've kept myself fairly clean of spoilers this time, and managed to reach the Area Zero without knowing anything about what was aiting for me there. Needless to say, the whole final boss sequence had me tearing. This is, finally, the first Pokémon game where the story doesn't fall flat where it counts (I'm saying this not having finished B2W2) and i cared for all the characters involved.

I have nothing but praise for the Area Zero. I love the contrast between the eerie music and the clean, almost paradise-like visuals, and how everything gets darker as you go down the path.

Now i need to get into the post game, but i'll leave the ending a couple of days to sink in. It has climbed right into my top 3 of the series, wich i didn't expect in a game so technically unpolished.

I'd easily call it "the first good story" too
Absolutely, and it achieves it without forcing linearity and keeping every single story beat contained into certain places. Plus, the three paths work wonders as a simple but elegant solution to keep the story from getting messy while gating Koraidon's abilities.

Everything is shown slowly in Stardust and Arven's paths, while Nemona's limits itself to the league and Elite 4.

On another note, while the soundtrack is irregular, battle themes are great, particularly the final battle of the Stardust path.

Everyone saying ScarVio has the first good story in Pokémon has me wanting to defend PLA’s story. I was invested in that one, too! I felt like it also had good writing and interesting characters. ScarVio is definitely better, but Arceus had a good story.

Arceus is definitely a step up from the past too, I didn't like it enough to be "be invested", but it is a clear cut above the usual character and scenario writing those games had, hopefully this is a trend that will continue.

Everyone saying ScarVio has the first good story in Pokémon has me wanting to defend PLA’s story. I was invested in that one, too! I felt like it also had good writing and interesting characters. ScarVio is definitely better, but Arceus had a good story.
To be fair, you're absolutely right, but in my mind Legends is a spin-off, so i discarded it automatically ^^U

Both Legends and SV give me the impression that Gamefreak is finally getting their shit together in certain fields like writing. Like, i absolutely didn't expect Legends' real final battle, wich was also fucking amazing.

Last edited:
Found a shiny Mareep! This one is special to me, because my first shiny I got (aside from the red Gyarados) in Silver was a Mareep. I actually found 2 of them within 3 battles of each other, which was crazy. My save data for that game is long gone, but it's cool to have one that I can actually carry forward.

I've built a perfect pokemon for the first time in my life and it was so easy lol Although I brute forced it and spent quite a bit of money, I now have a 7 raid ready Iron Hands.

I'm working on unlocking 6 star raids now to try to get a 6IV Ditto. I managed to get a 4IV one in by joining an online raid and used that to breed a 5IV Eevee which I'm going to evolve into a Sylveon to use in raids. Looks like I'm invested in pokemon metagame for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom