• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet |ST| Who You Callin' Paldea, Friend?

It's 6 IV Modest (not sure whether the nature is set, but seems likely). Holy shit, what a beast

EDIT: Also you actually receive it at Level 100

Last edited:
Damn yo what'd you use?
This one:
So apparently you don't get a time penalty when your NPCs are knocked out in raids - that's why playing with NPCs seems mostly better than with people. I highly recommend everyone use Iron Hands, Level 100, Hyper Trained in HP/Atk/Def/SpDef, Adamant nature, with Belly Drum, Drain Punch, and Thunder Punch (fourth move doesn't matter too much) and holding the Punching Glove. You'll be able to solo 6-star raids with ease (except for Ghost Tera type)
There was a bit of luck involved - I almost got knocked out once or twice - but I think this strat should work out in a few goes at most

Definitely beats trying with others, who will wear down the timer much faster due to being KOed

Okay, finished the game. Playtime is exactly 40 hours lol. Explored every nook and cranny. The fact that I found 5 shinies, tons of TMs, Rare Candies, mints, etc. should prove my commitment.

My Champ team:
Quaquaval, Salamence, Kingambit, Tinkaton, Baxcalibur, Dragapult
I initially planned to put only new Pokémon in my team, but I just can't deny absolute favorite of mine (like Salamence) a place in my team.
Anyway, the team is very unbalanced and extremely biased towards dragons, but they did their jobs.

Shinies I found:
Skiddo (yuck), Kilowattrel, Cubchoo, Hawlucha, Goomy
I probably missed a lot (who thought it was a good idea to remove the overworld shiny jingle from Arceus ffs...), but still a pretty good haul. Wanted to find a shiny Dreepy or Bagon, but luck wasn't on my side.

How I approached the game:
I pretty muched followed the "recommended/correct" order, that was posted here before. I know it's an open-world game and exploring areas way over your level could lead to exciting moments, but I really recommend going by the recommended order. That way, the campaign never felt too easy IMO. But tbf, I rarely used Rare/Exp candies. I also completely ignored raids and sandwiches, so I basically handicapped myself a bit. Still as far as difficulty goes, S/V is one of the better ones. The final boss in the crater KO'd 4 of my Pokémon.

My opinion (keeping it very short):
I know I'm beating a dead horse with this, but the ridiculous performance issues are extremely frustrating. Pretty much in 2 ways even. Of course, these extreme frame drops are annoying and make exploring the world less enjoyable, this goes without saying. But what I find also very frustrating is the fact that these issues are dominating the discourse and divert from the games' strenghts. Because outside of these inexcusable issues, Pokémon S/V are actually good games. I don't who is responsible in the end (prolly GameFreak), but they pretty much scored an own goal by releasing the games in that state. Felt like this were the games that would bring extremely jaded long-time fans closer to the franchise again after "being done"with Game Freak and modern Pokémon.

Anyway, I enjoyed Scarlet a lot. Definitely by far the meatiest campaign in the series. The 3 split was a great idea, even though some parts felt undercooked, like a few gym challenges and the whole "Defeat 30 Pokémon first" thing during the Team Star route.

The new Pokémon are a highlight, specially design-wise. Not sure why so many had to be mono-typed, but oh well. I wasn't too sure about the whole thing about future Pokémon at first when I read the leaks, but the rad designs are persuaded me. And the idea itself was actually implemented really good in the story. Also, big fan of the characer designs. Specially some of the gym leaders and elite 4 members had memorable designs while not going too whacky. The story pretty damn solid, huuuge improvement over SW/SH. Not sure if I'd say that Scarlet has the best story and characters in the franchise. I think I still prefer Gen 7 in that regard.
Paldea is a pretty solid region. It never really felt like a spanish-inspired place, but maybe I'm just too ignorant about the finer details.
What I didn't like about the region (and probably my biggest issue next to the performance) is that there are barely any elaborate points of interests to discover and explore. Not only are there barely any complex cave-systems to visit, but there are no facilities, like the power-plant in Kanto, the Dragonspiral Tower in Unova, etc. Not even a freaking ghost house, like the Old Chateau in Sinnoh. After a few hours, exploring became too predictable because you knew that items and Pokémon is pretty much all there is to find, which is not enough IMO. Also, remind me again why GF stopped including proper Victory Roads in these games?
The soundtrack was solid overall. Definitely better than SW/SH's extremely weak OST, but not good enough to be near the Greats (Gen 2, 4, 5, 7). People kept saying that the Elite 4 track is terrible, but uuuuuuhhh I thought it was good?

Anyway, I enjoyed Scarlet despite the shortcomings. After 3 back-to-back stinkers, we got 2 very solid games with Arceus and S/V. Let's just hope that this is a trend. The remakes of my favorite gen are probably next on the agenda, I swear if they fuck this up...

Last edited:
Yeah after 10 attempts with the raid I'll have to pass lol. The cherry on top was getting Charizard Hp down to zero 3 times only for him to regenerate, and then my Pokemon gets confused, attacks itself, dies and then we lose. I was personally attacked by the game lmao

This one:

There was a bit of luck involved - I almost got knocked out once or twice - but I think this strat should work out in a few goes at most

Definitely beats trying with others, who will wear down the timer much faster due to being KOed
It learns Ice Punch too, might be worth trying to solo

Yeah after 10 attempts with the raid I'll have to pass lol. The cherry on top was getting Charizard Hp down to zero 3 times only for him to regenerate, and then my Pokemon gets confused, attacks itself, dies and then we lose. I was personally attacked by the game lmao
What Pokémon are you using? Do you want to try to do it together?
It learns Ice Punch too, might be worth trying to solo
I don't think that's the play, to be honest. The main reason the strat is so consistent is because assuming the opponent doesn't have a shield up yet, or you're Terrastalized, Drain Punch will fully recover your HP each time it connects after a Belly Drum. So if you survive the first two hits you're golden
I haven't even found the raid. Is it not marked on the map?
Have you unlocked 6-star raids yet? I think you need to have done that first

Yeah... turns out I was one 5 star away from doing so :ROFLMAO:

I'm giving it a shot with randoms first, but may ask for a team up if it goes poorly

I actually haven't bothered unlocking the six star raids either, so I'm trying to cruise through some lower level ones to get those

I ended up making a Blissey set to wall Zard and support the Drummers with Life Dew, Light Screen, and Helping Hand

I actually haven't bothered unlocking the six star raids either, so I'm trying to cruise through some lower level ones to get those

I ended up making a Blissey set to wall Zard and support the Drummers with Life Dew, Light Screen, and Helping Hand
I just had someone with that set, it was unbelievably helpful

What Pokémon are you using? Do you want to try to do it together?

I don't think that's the play, to be honest. The main reason the strat is so consistent is because assuming the opponent doesn't have a shield up yet, or you're Terrastalized, Drain Punch will fully recover your HP each time it connects after a Belly Drum. So if you survive the first two hits you're golden

Were you Tera Fighting? Mine is Tera Electric and I'm worried that I wouldn't do enough damage after the shield is up.

barely any elaborate points of interests to discover and explore
I’m with you on that I think it’s somewhat unfortunate that the discussion on the technical performance is overshadowing discussion on the core gameplay design. And this is one that I highly agree with.

GF did a pretty good job at varying the topography of their naturalistic biomes, but one clear area of improvement would be having more interesting places to explore. I also mentioned in a previous post how cool it would have been to have abandoned laboratories like in Gen 1, or something like Chargestone Cave in Unova or Glimwood Tangle in SwSh. It’s the Pokemon world, they can afford to be nuttier with their world design.

People kept saying that the Elite 4 track is terrible
There was a bug that only had the first few notes of the song play, so that’s why people were saying that.

I've done it! The Charizard is mine. It took a little luck, but it's definitely doable

Charizard raid seems buggy. The health bar does whatever, first attempt I did online we KO'd it quickly only for the game to just... give it back half its health and shielding, and we ended up barely failing.

Solo'd it easily enough though, but again the health bar was screwy.

Rewards are nice, probably worth farming just for that.

I'm running Azumarill with Belly Drum/Play Rough/Light Screen/Rain Dance. Kind of a dual role - it can bring the DPS if needed but Charizard can really hurt if it gets sun up, so I can also support.

I'm absolutely not ready to do that special Zard raid, and i'm pretty sure i won't be able to do it when it (iirc) returns in mid december.

Hoping it returns in early 2023 too. The game is going to a christmas gift for a lot of people, it would suck if they're locked out of the special Zard.

I’m about half way through the game, enjoying not rushing it, but have just logged on for A Charizard raid and can’t find one. Am I locked out until I beat the game? Is there a way to do it with a link code? If so, is anyone hosting??

I’m about half way through the game, enjoying not rushing it, but have just logged on for A Charizard raid and can’t find one. Am I locked out until I beat the game? Is there a way to do it with a link code? If so, is anyone hosting??
You need to finish the postgame to find them. You can join with a link code, but if you don't have a strong Fairy-type Pokémon, you will almost certainly get demolished. Charizard is Lv. 100 with a huge health bar and powerful moves.

If you really don't want to wait a couple of weeks, maybe some folks in this thread can set you up with something. There's enough people here who've finished that we could give you something good and help you along.

Last edited:
Don't know why I kept mentioning Scarlet in my short review when I played Violet lol.
Just wanted to mention another thing that I wasn't a fan of. It really felt like S/V was lacking in terms of trainer classes. 80% of the trainers you fight were students. The fact that there are no Ace Trainers is both surprising and disappointing.

There was a bug that only had the first few notes of the song play, so that’s why people were saying that.
I legit didn't know this. I kept reading in the leak thread and on twitter that the Elite 4 theme is horrendous, so I prepared for the worst lol.

People kept saying that the Elite 4 track is terrible, but uuuuuuhhh I thought it was good?
I didn't realize until I saw patch note discussions that the Elite 4 soundtrack has a glitch? Basically it loops the first few seconds and sounds really kind of terrifying (it basically sounds like no music and this creepy sound effect over and over). When I played through it I thought it was intentional, given the entire set of battles takes place in some asylum-like room. Check YouTube for the glitch track, that might be what people thought was bad.

Shinies I found:
Skiddo (yuck), Kilowattrel, Cubchoo, Hawlucha, Goomy
I probably missed a lot (who thought it was a good idea to remove the overworld shiny jingle from Arceus ffs...), but still a pretty good haul. Wanted to find a shiny Dreepy or Bagon, but luck wasn't on my side.
YES. like so many decisions, i don't get how this is a regression from arceus, and i really don't think its something that could have been hard to add... encountering the first i was really confused, thinking "wait...is it a bug" since i expected SOME sign that its a shiny...
My opinion (keeping it very short):
I know I'm beating a dead horse with this, but the ridiculous performance issues are extremely frustrating. Pretty much in 2 ways even. Of course, these extreme frame drops are annoying and make exploring the world less enjoyable, this goes without saying. But what I find also very frustrating is the fact that these issues are dominating the discourse and divert from the games' strenghts. Because outside of these inexcusable issues, Pokémon S/V are actually good games. I don't who is responsible in the end (prolly GameFreak), but they pretty much scored an own goal by releasing the games in that state. Felt like this were the games that would bring extremely jaded long-time fans closer to the franchise again after "being done" Game Freak and modern Pokémon.
There is a reason, even people that usually can ignore it are struggling with the tech.
It doesnt feel good. its janky all the way, and after 1 h sessions of exploring i literally need a pause.
(I had 12 h zelda sessions and SMT5 sessions, and the later also struggles in moments...but far from the extend pokemon does. Arceus was also fine for long sessions)
If a game is technically bad to a level that it gets exhausting... then it Impacts the game feel a lot.
The battles feel slow as heck compared to SMT5 or even Arceus. i literally get bored doing battles because sometimes its 15-30 seconds of doing nothing between decisions.
With the slow start of battles ... yeah, it gets tiresome.

In regards to the design... open world is better then design from gen 6-8, no doubt.
I still think they need a lot to learn. Not through (missing 2 gyms and 2 star bases),
but lacking interior is disappointing, the balance of items/resources to usefulness is really bad (in SMT5 i used almost all items to some degree...same in zelda and to a lesser degree in arceus).
The challenges for the gyms are a joke (Gimmicks, but they did not want to commit to anything more because its new Gameplay and they dont want to make it hard)... they are literally brain dead.
A simon says game where you have 2-3 seconds to find the right button?
a wheres waldo game? a "search the flower pokemon"...but there are way more then you need so you just run in any direction and will find enough?

The bases: i literally had to run into it, run one circle and spam the r button.
and the format is the same in every one of them. at least the Titans had slight
variations to them. It just feels...padded, and unimaginative in many ways.

The scale of pokemon and the world feels off in many places. This game needs fucking 2 more years do work out more diversity in how its 3 "storylines" are delivered. If every 16 bit rpg has more varied quest design...thats really bad. Raids seem copied from Sw/Sh, the gimmick is once again annoying (transformations take so long... i never use it because i cant skip them...)
And with all that, its more fun then gen 7/8. But oh god, try to make it less brain dead, try to have some design that's not copy pasted over the game. Gyms this and last gen feel like Gimmick ridden annoyances more then fun inventive challenges.

With so much negativity... collecting pokemon is still fun. i like many of the new designs.
The Gym leader designs are good. many ideas on paper are great (having 3 paths that are free form in aproach), there are moments where some areas feel well designed in the overworld and allude to what this could have been with 2 more years of development.

I feel like 75% is fine for this game, so many flaws (not just technical), so many good aspects.
What i really would wish (and will not happen with the current leadership at GF) is to cut on the gimicky and have deeper more balanced systems (outside of competitive pokemon, that's its own thing where, im talking or the Single player experience). Competitive has less of a problem with the lack of balance because the people try to optimize and balance it by that.
In single player? the game does never try to be a Challenge, so its pointless to engage with any system deeper. The best direction is still "what Element is written on the doof of the base/gym? yeah, ok, ill take 2-3 pokemon that with STAB moves" and thats it. i dont even bother with held items because shuffling them around pokemon if you like me change team members on the regular is a hassle.

Essentially, they showed more pottential in arceus then they are utilizing here.
I only really engaged with the "story" because i wanted the rewards that kept me from collecting pokemon (level limits, movement options), if it would not have been for that, i would still be only halfway where i am.
I hoped for more batling compared to Arceus...but since the battle transitions and the battles themselves are so f*ing slow, i ignore trainers, since i know that they are no challenge at all, and just slooooow.

Currently im hoping that late game/ post game has some interesting aspects to add to the experience.

Now listen. Not to be a conspiracy theorist but I think there is a bug with Azumarill in the Charizard raid. I noticed that when Azumarill is in the raid Charizard gains health more. I tested it myself a couple times. He gained health 4 times when I use Azumarill. Only twice with my Dachsbun. The normal barrier rejuvenation that seems to happen with 6 and 7 star raids. And then when he gets into the red his health kind of double. But there were two more instances with Azumarill he gained health all towards the end of the raid.

Now listen. Not to be a conspiracy theorist but I think there is a bug with Azumarill in the Charizard raid. I noticed that when Azumarill is in the raid Charizard gains health more. I tested it myself a couple times. He gained health 4 times when I use Azumarill. Only twice with my Dachsbun. The normal barrier rejuvenation that seems to happen with 6 and 7 star raids. And then when he gets into the red his health kind of double. But there were two more instances with Azumarill he gained health all towards the end of the raid.
I believe Charizard gains health when it drops too low before the barrier goes up. There seems to be a fixed minimum for its health when the barrier goes up, and if you get it below that (as is not too difficult with a Belly Drum Azu, and harder for others) it will jump back up

I've heard the Azumarill bug is tied to how the raid calculates health and damage relating to Huge Power. I believe it's just a display issue where it shows you doing more damage than you actually did.

You need to finish the postgame to find them. You can join with a link code, but if you don't have a strong Fairy-type Pokémon, you will almost certainly get demolished. Charizard is Lv. 100 with a huge health bar and powerful moves.

If you really don't want to wait a couple of weeks, maybe some folks in this thread can set you up with something. There's enough people here who've finished that we could give you something good and help you along.

Thanks,

I found a wild Tera Type Azumaril at level 55 last night (not sure if that is likely to have good stats or not (or even how I would find out) but I’ve popped it in my party.

I’ve also now beaten all titans, and have three gyms and three star bases left, so figure I might push on to the end of the game and then try and build a decent Pokémon for the next set of Charizard raids. I really don’t want to miss out though

(not sure if that is likely to have good stats or not (or even how I would find out)
Once you finish the game and go to a Pokemon Center, you'll unlock the Judge function in your Boxes

You can also do a manual calc when you first get it since it will have 0 EVs but that it is unbelievably tedious lol

Thanks,

I found a wild Tera Type Azumaril at level 55 last night (not sure if that is likely to have good stats or not (or even how I would find out) but I’ve popped it in my party.

I’ve also now beaten all titans, and have three gyms and three star bases left, so figure I might push on to the end of the game and then try and build a decent Pokémon for the next set of Charizard raids. I really don’t want to miss out though
Before you train anything up you should read these:
For Azumarill you're going to want to run something like:

Azumarill @ Shell Bell or Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
Tera Type: Fairy
  • Belly Drum
  • Play Rough
  • Light Screen
  • Helping Hand

I've heard the Azumarill bug is tied to how the raid calculates health and damage relating to Huge Power. I believe it's just a display issue where it shows you doing more damage than you actually did.
This might be why. Raids are so janky so this makes sense.
I believe Charizard gains health when it drops too low before the barrier goes up. There seems to be a fixed minimum for its health when the barrier goes up, and if you get it below that (as is not too difficult with a Belly Drum Azu, and harder for others) it will jump back up
Yeah I know about that. Feels like it's just 50% health, which is fine. It's the health gains after that is where I'm seeing some weirdness

I appreciate that they didn't make Charizard harder out of the gate. Imagine if they had given it Iron Head, sheesh.

I'm wondering what other Pokemon they will release as 7 star raids in the future.

Looking at the Transfer Only Pokemon, something like Ursaluna would make a lot of sense. I could see some other Hisuian Pokemon like the starters as well, though those could be in the lower level raids surrounding a big 7 star one.

Urshifu is another great option, could let folks have more access to it now that the SwSh DLC is less relevant.

The Pokemon who, like Charizard, aren't tied to SwSh DLC, BDSP, or Legends Arceus are the options that might be the most likely. Greninja in particular would be a popular choice.

EDIT:
Because I'm allergic to working on my job, here's a table:
SwShSwSh DLCArceusBDSP/ArceusMythicalNone
RillaboomArticunoTyphlosionUxieMewCharizard
CinderaceZapdosDialgaMespritMeloettaMewtwo
InteleonMoltresPalkiaAzelfDiancieKyogre
ZacianUrshifuArceusHeatranHoopaGroudon
ZamazentaRegielekiSamurottCresseliaVolcanionRayquaza
EternatusRegidragoTornadusGiratinaMagearnaChesnaught
GlastrierThundurusZarudeDelphox
SpectrierLandorusGreninja
CalyrexDecidueyeCarbink
Wyrdeer
Kleavor
Ursaluna
Basculegion
Sneasler
Overqwil
Enamorus

Last edited:
Running a special set while relying on Solar Power to boost SpA halfway through the fight is what keeps Charizard reasonable. If they had done a physical set with Dragon Dance or Swords Dance it'd probably be overtuned for most people to handle two/four weeks in

I was wondering why Azumarill was trending on twitter and the clips do not disappoint lol. I might tried it for the raids.

So I'm not at the point for raiding, but I am making my way through the story so far. I am still loving the dialogue from the teachers, both in class and in their side stories. Some of the funniest stuff I've gotten from the franchise, too. I want more of this!

tfw I have 300 bottles of Charizard piss Calcium but all the cool Pokémon I wanna train up are physical attackers

So I'm not at the point for raiding, but I am making my way through the story so far. I am still loving the dialogue from the teachers, both in class and in their side stories. Some of the funniest stuff I've gotten from the franchise, too. I want more of this!
The professor for this class throwing definitely-not-Arven under the bus was actually pretty funny despite it being a fairly basic joke

The professor for this class throwing definitely-not-Arven under the bus was actually pretty funny despite it being a fairly basic joke
It was so well executed, from the pacing to the player interaction. The professor very loosely alludes to it, getting it on your mind. One of the options to answer the question is just "...Arven?" The professor reiterating that he shouldn't mention the student's name...then he accidentally says it, Arven gives a blink it and you'll miss it (!) without the professor's dialogue skipping a beat, and then he hastily tries to cover it up. All with the underlying gag about Arven not being able to make better sandwiches because he makes all od his sandwiches alone. It's great.

Herba Mystica odds are so bad. 3 hours of raiding and I've only gotten 1.

Also, why are there so many Florges and mimikyu raids? I also can't tell the difference between the different color raids. Some 4 star raids are blue stars and have a gold background. It's weird. I'm sure there is a simple answer but it's just weird.

Also, why are there so many Florges and mimikyu raids? I also can't tell the difference between the different color raids. Some 4 star raids are blue stars and have a gold background. It's weird. I'm sure there is a simple answer but it's just weird.
They're opening for Charizard

I'm a little bit disappointed at the game's online Battle Stadium presentation. In Sword Shield the online battles happened in cool arenas and the camera was fairly dynamic and made the experience feel a bit more bombastic. But here it seems that all battles happen in the same schoolyard arena and the camera is super boring. I thought it was because I'm playing Doubles but comparing to footage of my Doubles in SwSh something definitely changed here and I don't know why it did. Also the Battle Stadium theme is less pumping than SwSh but that's a minor issue.

Taking classes is a drag. And who on earth thought the academy theme should be that obnoxious upbeat nonsense, and why does it have to play constantly?

Are there not side quests you get from taking them? That was why I thought you had to do them.
You get a bunch of stuff at the end of them.

I think they're fun and cute and they are super short lol, only 6 classes and 2 tests for each teacher.

Back
Top Bottom