• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet |ST| Who You Callin' Paldea, Friend?

Ahhh not sure. Haven't been playing today as I've had a headache. I think I've probably got like 250-300 down though

I'm mostly focusing on getting a team together for when competitive starts at the moment
Nice, I've got half a mind on doing the same. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Belly Drum with great stats. Drain Punch is basically a full heal because of the scaling.

Usually in higher level raids the team wants to spend the first turn setting up so they can potentially one-shot or two-shot it. Belly Drum is perfect for this, and Iron Hands has the bulk to live moves at half health.

You want bulky Pokemon in raids, because dying reduces the timer by a lot.

That's why if you're locking in Meowscarada and Quaquaval you may see people leave lol.
And this is why I would probably hate raids or competitive gameplay in general, lol. All my favorite Pokémon are glass cannons, it’s my favorite way to make characters in all RPGs. You either win quickly, or you die quickly!

And this is why I would probably hate raids or competitive gameplay in general, lol. All my favorite Pokémon are glass cannons, it’s my favorite way to make characters in all RPGs. You either win quickly, or you die quickly!
Glass cannons work fine in competitive, though usually you don't want to have a team of just heaters lol.

The ways raids works really favors bulky pokemon, because the punishment for dying in raids is very punishing, you lose something like 20% of the timer for each death, and it's already ticking down over time.

Because I'm enjoying these games so much I'm actually of half a mind to try the competitive scene for the first time ever. Been vaguely interested for a while but this is the first time since that I'm enamored enough with a Pokemon title to actually consider going for it

But I'm still early on in the game so I might very well decide I don't feel like it when I actually get to that point

Glass cannons are quite usable in competitive. Pokémon that are good in raids are not necessarily the same as those good in competitive

It's also not just about bulk. There's some strategy required for raids - it's helpful to set up, and you should make effective use of the cheers. Plenty of people online do seem to just play them how they'd play the story mode though (i.e. just use your starter/box Legendary and spam one move) and it's not that effective. You also need to be willing to mix up the Pokémon you're using depending on who you're facing - don't bring your Meowscarada in against a Scyther, for example, even if its Tera type is water (you will just get repeatedly one shot by a Bug move and lose for your team lol)

I didn't check the entire thread so if this is a duplicate question I apologize, but for the specialty evolution methods is there anywhere in-game that gives you hints on how to evolve? I am trying to go in spoiler free but was looking for the method of a special evolution the champ uses, read about the multiple steps (get item, battles specific things) and just isn't sure if they ever provide hints in the game. I did the entire Biology class run and there is a kind-of hint there for another Pokemon, but just would be nice if someone had a book in the library telling you about these.

(Tried to go as spoiler-free as possible)

The time consuming method here, at least for competitive, is getting the Tera Type you want on a Pokemon.

Often it won't be one of the default options, so you're either hoping to get lucky in raids, or you will need to grind raids to get 50 tera shards at 3-5 a raid (less for 1-4 star raids).

Kind of a pain, especially when the Tera mechanic seemingly encourages experimentation and swapping around Tera Types. Hopefully they include Tera shards in the monthly ranked rewards.
Sure. But by the time you're planning which tera types to have on which of your team you're at the "high strategy" level. At least with proper IVs you can get your foot in the door with pokemon on the same statistical level as the top players and start learning through experience what your strategy should be.

Glass cannons are quite usable in competitive. Pokémon that are good in raids are not necessarily the same as those good in competitive

It's also not just about bulk. There's some strategy required for raids - it's helpful to set up, and you should make effective use of the cheers. Plenty of people online do seem to just play them how they'd play the story mode though (i.e. just use your starter/box Legendary and spam one move) and it's not that effective. You also need to be willing to mix up the Pokémon you're using depending on who you're facing - don't bring your Meowscarada in against a Scyther, for example, even if its Tera type is water (you will just get repeatedly one shot by a Bug move and lose for your team lol)
Yup. Set-up is everything in raids. To solo with Koraidon I do Screech->Screech->Attack Cheer->Super-effective move. That almost 1HKOs everything. If the pokemon negates its stat change or puts up the barrier too soon, just quit and try again. But it works nearly every time. 3 set-up turns, one big hit.

If you're interested in competitive play and want to get a feel or deeper understanding for it I highly recommend using the rental system, probably the best thing SWSH added. It'll give you a much better idea of how to structure teams and might give you some inspiration for where to go with future self-made teams.

Though maybe mess around with something you made on your own first just to learn the basics because piloting someone else's team completely blind/without knowledge can be a weird experience.

I finished the Pokédex last night. 26 years playing these games and I’ve never done it before.

Scarlet and Violet are easily my favorite Pokémon games of all time.

I finished the Pokédex last night. 26 years playing these games and I’ve never done it before.

Scarlet and Violet are easily my favorite Pokémon games of all time.
You did? Did you evolve Gholdengo on your own or trade from someone else? It's pretty much impossible to get it this early. Chests only had 5% chance of respawning and without them it'd take ages to evolve it.

You did? Did you evolve Gholdengo on your own or trade from someone else? It's pretty much impossible to get it this early. Chests only had 5% chance of respawning and without them it'd take ages to evolve it.
Huh, when I played through Scarlet I had about 1200 gimmighoul coins by the time I beat the game, only about 25 hours in.

Unfortunately, I thought you'd only lose the 999 it takes to evolve but I think you lose them all. Greedy fucking ghost.

Huh, when I played through Scarlet I had about 1200 gimmighoul coins by the time I beat the game, only about 25 hours in.

Unfortunately, I thought you'd only lose the 999 it takes to evolve but I think you lose them all. Greedy fucking ghost.
That's pure luck. Like, impossible luck but you seem to have it. There's 1% chance that regular Gimmighoul's drop 50 coins like the chests do, sounds like you hit that chance many times. Otherwise, if you got all the chests at 50 coins and regular Gimmighouls at 1 coins, you'd be at 650 coins like I am right now after 65 hours.

That's pure luck. Like, impossible luck but you seem to have it. There's 1% chance that regular Gimmighoul's drop 50 coins like the chests do, sounds like you hit that chance many times. Otherwise, if you got all the chests at 50 coins and regular Gimmighouls at 1 coins, you'd be at 650 coins like I am right now after 65 hours.
There's an abundance of coins, I've seen many Gholdengo's for days now, I had like 800 before I hit the 30 hour mark I'm pretty sure.

Gholdengo is a bit of a grind but certainly not impossible. It's also worth doing because it's very good lol

I just collected all the 999 coins yesterday at somewhere between 35 and 40 hours of gameplay with two gyms left to go. I found there to be quite a lot of chests tbh. I don't even think I got any chests twice and probably only a few coins twice in the same locations thru respawn. I do remember getting a few chests at 60 coins tho and didn't check all I think, but if you take too much time looking at every corner of the map lol then it is doable, or maybe you are correct and I somehow managed to have insane luck based on your calculations. Hard to tell based on such different experiences

Well, I'd like to hear from those who got Gholdengo's. Roaming Gimmighouls only give me 1 coin per appearance and at this rate it'll be 3-4 months until I have mine.
I think there are around 25 chests out and about? so even if you’re only getting ~30 from a chest, you should have a solid start. and I’ve had at least one chest respawn on me.

I usually got ~50 per chest, even 80 at some. just evolved this morning!

I never bothered finding the little guys at all, it was purely from the chests. Some of the chests give 60 or even 70, 80 coins - I for sure remember that. There were a ton of chests.

EDIT: Checked online, there's at least 25 chests. So even at the 50 coin value, that's plenty.

Most of the chests are at towers and those are mostly warp points. It's extremely dumb and grindy but you can get 999 coins in like an hour if you commit to it

I think there are around 25 chests out and about? so even if you’re only getting ~30 from a chest, you should have a solid start. and I’ve had at least one chest respawn on me.

I usually got ~50 per chest, even 80 at some. just evolved this morning!
I never bothered finding the little guys at all, it was purely from the chests. Some of the chests give 60 or even 70, 80 coins - I for sure remember that. There were a ton of chests.
There are 25 chest locations but not in every game they all start as spawned. I was pretty unlucky, only 8 out of 25 locations started as spawned, other locations still has 5% to spawn each day. I thought everyone was like me, started game with only 8 of them in the overlord, but it seems that's not true.

I just did A LOT of exploring to find the roaming forms and the chest forms. The chest forms sometimes rewarded me with 50-60 coins. So that added up quickly.

Goldengo was my last Pokémon before I caught the 4 legendaries locked behind the stakes.

Well, I'd like to hear from those who got Gholdengo's. Roaming Gimmighouls only give me 1 coin per appearance and at this rate it'll be 3-4 months until I have mine.
in my experience I had no real trouble collecting 999 coins, I explored a lot. Found many chests awarding 50-60 coins and found a lot of loose ghimighoul that awarded up to 5 coins as well.

I evolved my Goldengho last week. The first time you open a Gimmighoul chest you get an average of 50 coins, and there are enough chests in the world to get to 999.

Opening a respawned chest is when I started getting lower numbers from the chest Gimmighouls.

EDIT: I see you had a low initial spawn rate for chests. Pretty sure all of mine were spawned in at all spawn points initially. Wonder if that's a bug or just luck.

I'm also about 2/3rds of the way to my next Goldengho.

EDIT: I see you had a low initial spawn rate for chests. Pretty sure all of mine were spawned in at all spawn points initially. Wonder if that's a bug or just luck.
Sounds like I had to collect all Gimmighoul chests before I do a coop session. One of my asshole friends seems to have stolen many of my coins

Edit: Apparently that's not the case, coop maps don't have any Gimmoghoul chests. So what's going on? Is it really a bug? None of the non-tower locations has Gimmighoul for me.

Sounds like I had to collect all Gimmighoul chests before I do a coop session. One of my asshole friends seems to have stolen many of my coins

Edit: Apparently that's not the case, coop maps don't have any Gimmoghoul chests. So what's going on? Is it really a bug? None of the non-tower locations has Gimmighoul for me.
this is sounding like some kind of bug, but just in case — what map are you using to check for chests?

I definitely referred to a map that had completely wrong locations at one point and got turned around

Is there a way to send items aside from trading with a Pokémon holding them? At this point I likely have a fair few spare Gimmighoul coins I'd be happy to give away, but I don't think you can do that

this is sounding like some kind of bug, but just in case — what map are you using to check for chests?

I definitely referred to a map that had completely wrong locations at one point and got turned around
image-191.png

This one. I just re-checked few of the non-tower locations and no dice. Especially that island in the west.

I'm getting conflicting info on the web, some say they can get Gimmighoul chests in co-op some say they can't. I need to find some concrete confirmation.

image-191.png

This one. I just re-checked few of the non-tower locations and no dice. Especially that island in the west.

I'm getting conflicting info on the web, some say they can get Gimmighoul chests in co-op some say they can't. I need to find some concrete confirmation.
I can’t find the one I was using that had better zoom, but try this one with chest filters

you may need to dig around a bit and follow your ears — the ones not in towers were quite a bit harder to see for me

but for the specialty evolution methods is there anywhere in-game that gives you hints on how to evolve?
There are some but they don't really help. Like I don't think you'll get how Primeape evolves based on the available in-game hint. Pokemon really needs to improve on that front.

I CAUGHT A SHINY JUMPLUFF
Congrats. That has a nice color.

Well, I'd like to hear from those who got Gholdengo's
Before hitting postgame I had like 800+ coins. When I started actively hunting for Gimmighoul chests it only took me half an hour or so to make up the difference.

Is there a list or a datamine pastebin of all the sparkling/ground items and what area they are most likely to appear?

I did google a bit but couldn't find anything.

I've had some of the solo Gimmighoul give up to 5 coins (usually fewer) as well. I didn't have any issue getting enough for the evolution either, mostly from chests.

My team is kinda weird, let me know if I should adjust anything:

Gardevoir
Dragonair - Dragonite
Meowscarada
Armorouge
Toxtricity
Quaquaval

12/18 badges down!

I like how long I can lose myself in this game’s world. I’ll spend some time just chasing the next Pokémon or glowing item I see, and before I knew it, it’s been two and a half hours, I’ve caught dozens of different species, and slowly inched my way to the next bunch of objectives to boot.

There are also areas in the game where it DOES sort of look pretty (at least from an artistic standpoint). If the entire game looked like that and performed even at a steady 30fps, I think the perception around it would be very different.

Anyway, under the jank it’s definitely a really fun game. I hope they take the time on their next release so that their good work isn’t unfairly overshadowed by avoidable problems like this again.

Heading into the crater, and I’m not quite done yet, but this game really goes places huh? Especially considering it’s a freaking Pokémon game. Really interesting stuff, and also really makes me wonder how Scarlet plays out in this part of the game.

Just finished on the credits. As someone who's been pretty negative about the 3D era of Pokemon (and especially Switch Pokemon), I really, really liked this game. I'm not sure if I loved it, but this is the most positive I've been on Pokemon for a minute (yes, I still need to play Arceus.) It's very charming and pleasant, the world is fun to explore and traverse (especially with Pokemon running around the field), and the music, my god, what a soundtrack!

My biggest gripes are, besides the obvious technical stuff, how poorly implemented trainer battles are (they should let you know how many trainers are on a route), the Gym trials are kinda meh (no need to fix what isn't broken, go back to Gyms being minidungeons with puzzles and trainer gauntlets), and the Star Let's Go stuff gets kinda old since it's basically the same thing over and over. Also, bring back proper dungeons! Like seriously, better trainers, dungeons, and the technical stuff fixed and this is probably a top 3-5 game for me.

I will say the level curve was pretty good for EXP Share, still a bit problematic - I felt like for most of the game I was overleveled, then the endgame really ratchets it up and I was underleveled - but I felt the final challenges were reasonably satisfying by Pokemon standards. Some close matches to be sure.

So yeah, I haven't touched the postgame yet, but I'm reasonably satisfied with the campaign. USUM is still my favorite 3D Pokemon, but this is a respectable second I think. Which puts it below the top/high tiers of the series, but since I consider those top/high tier Pokemon games some of my all time favorite games, that's not a bad spot to be in!

Overall, as someone who played SWSH and was sure they were done with the series, this has brought me back to the series in a way. I'm still cautious going forward, lord knows GameFreak knows how to squander good will, but I'm interested and curious where it goes from here. I think ScarVi has a great foundation to build on, both for DLC and sequels, so I'll be paying close attention to the series going forward.

While I was looking for a list of all tracks Toby Fox worked on I found this Youtube video without sources, stating that Toby worked together with others on a lot of tracks. anyway here's the list:

Cascarafa
South Province Area (Battle)
South Province Area (Riding)
Nemona's Theme
Nemona's Theme (Battle)
Lively Starter Pokémon
Strange Beings Transform!
A Skrimish in the Cave
Naranja/Uva Academy
Jacq's Theme
Mesagoza (Riding)
Levincia
Los Platos/Cortondo
Tera Raid Battle Theme
Victory! Tera Raid Battle Theme
Area Zero - Area Zero (Battle)
Professor Sada/Turo Battle Them
Nemona's Theme (Final Battle)

Did the third (electric) gym last evening ... can i just say that i kinda like Clavell? He's totally the likable goof of the game.

Oh, i like Clive too, of course! ;]

Im really late to the party as i lately really dont find much time to play. However last night the game finally fully clicked with me. Im still early on 3/18 badges. But till this point i did enjoy the game but i wasnt really hooked.

However last night i really started to explore some mountains till i saw a glowing pokemon all the way down near the water so i jumped down all the way and found a cave that lead me to a place that i couldnt visit before and damn.... it really felt magical!

I hope they stuck with this new formular and make it even better next time. Its really fun!

Like every single Pokemon I feel like using is a physical attacker this time. Feels like all the special attackers either aren't vibing with me, or overlap with mons that I really want on my main team

I guess I could use, like, Killowattrel to diversify my team a bit, but idk, it's kinda plain. All the cool kids are physical this gen.

LOL

(essentially if you join a Tera raid and lose, everybody except the host gets rewards still, though they're just silently added to your inventory)

I actually noticed more than once that I had an extra Ability Patch that I didn't remember seeing drop.

LOL

(essentially if you join a Tera raid and lose, everybody except the host gets rewards still, though they're just silently added to your inventory)

I actually noticed more than once that I had an extra Ability Patch that I didn't remember seeing drop.

Ah I noticed this, but I think it is a bug. It doesn't happen all the time to my experience. Usually when I was close to defeating the Mon the screen went white but the sound kept playing, the "super effective hit" sound played and then the raid ended awarding me the items still.

This honestly feels like it could go either way is to whether it's a feature or a bug. Don't think there's anything wrong with giving drops to raid losers but the uhhhhh implementation is nutty

Last edited:

I'm not sure if this is worth anything given the source (or if it was discussed already), but at least it sounds like some confirmation that GF is working on a major patch and we could see it between the end of this year or early next to fix a good chunk of technical issues
The original post is removed. Not sure how much I trust a supposed email from a customer support rep

Back
Top Bottom