• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet |ST| Who You Callin' Paldea, Friend?

Turns out the Elite 4 battle music is bugged. I thought it sounded weird, because it was just a five-second loop which admittedly, did sound intense and ominous, but turns out there's actually a full song I never got to hear and it was just looping the intro. Sigh.
Seems to be a pretty common issue judging from the comments on youtube when I looked up the song to listen to the unbugged version myself.

Turns out the Elite 4 battle music is bugged. I thought it sounded weird, because it was just a five-second loop which admittedly, did sound intense and ominous, but turns out there's actually a full song I never got to hear and it was just looping the intro. Sigh.

I knew it! It was such a weird departure from the usual music all of a sudden, now I know it was a bug. Thanks :p

I am heading to the post-game area after the World Cup matches end later today.

Overall, this was a somewhat mixed experience. On one hand, I am very happy we finally got an open-world Pokémon game. Contrarily, the technical issues and bare-bones world design really bring down the overall enjoyment of the game. Regarding the latter, I would have been perfectly satisfied if Scarlet and Violet had sidequests like those of Arceus. That would have gone a long way towards making the towns and the world more interesting.

In a way, it's like Game Freak finally gave us the open world we were craving for, but forgot about most of the things that make games of the kind be truly interesting.

I don't know about everybody else but I feel gratified exploring an area just for the scenery and Pokemon. Because of this, every inch of Paldea is worth exploring to me...

I don't know about everybody else but I feel gratified exploring an area just for the scenery and Pokemon. Because of this, every inch of Paldea is worth exploring to me...
This is why I haven't finished the game yet and I've put in a lot of time. I will finish it today though. I think. lol

So these Tera Eevee aren’t like, unique and missable right? I can just Tera change an Eevee later?

So these Tera Eevee aren’t like, unique and missable right? I can just Tera change an Eevee later?
Yeah, although 50 Tera Shards is a bit of a grind, so if you want a particular Eeveelution with a particular Tera type, this is your best shot.

It'd be nice if the game would stop spawning roaming Gimmighoul once you have 999 of their coins. Very annoying to keep hearing them when I no longer need to find them

I definitely want the throwing from Legends to come back permanently, just made so you can’t spam throw balls like a madman

I will say I certainly do miss just rolling up on a Pokemon, throwing a ball, and it either be caught or not, and move on with my adventure.

I thought I'd miss Arceus catching more but honestly I've been fine with the traditional method

Maybe because the pace of the game is slower or something, and because I've only been doing one catch per species. I'd probably still appreciate Arceus catching being brought back but I don't feel the lack of it like I thought I might

The “throw to catch” system in Arceus was so good. You had to sneak up on the Pokémon, and if they spotted you, you weren’t able to just throw a ball to catch them, you had to battle them. It really was perfect, and it should be able to brought forward to mainline Pokémon games. You don’t even need to add the action elements to it; wild Pokémon don’t need to attack you.

Going forward, I would ideally like both systems in place. Especially if you just want to catch something super low level that you don't even need to bother weakening. I still like having to work for it sometimes though.

The “throw to catch” system in Arceus was so good. You had to sneak up on the Pokémon, and if they spotted you, you weren’t able to just throw a ball to catch them, you had to battle them. It really was perfect, and it should be able to brought forward to mainline Pokémon games. You don’t even need to add the action elements to it; wild Pokémon don’t need to attack you.
They’re so close in SV too. Obviously the throwing mechanic is worse off without aiming, but you can still throw to catch Pokémon off guard if not seen. So all they needed to do was add a ball selector and secondary trigger to catch vs throw your party member. Then, if the catch failed it could go right into a battle.

I don’t know if I’m playing wrong but most of the time I’m lost and I don’t know where to go.

By the way, this game is kicking my ass terribly.

I will say I certainly do miss just rolling up on a Pokemon, throwing a ball, and it either be caught or not, and move on with my adventure.
I feel like something like that will come to the mainline games maybe in the form of like a Safari Zone or a special area where you can do that.
I don’t know if I’m playing wrong but most of the time I’m lost and I don’t know where to go.

By the way, this game is kicking my ass terribly.
I believe nurse joy will help guide you on your journey. You are supposed to flip back and forth between west and east. I just used serebii to help guide me lol.

Truth be told, while I like throwing to catch in Legends Arceus, it really kept me from engaging in the battle system. In almost every situation, it was much better to use stealth and catch rather than engage in a battle unless you were absolutely forced to. For a Pokémon game, I found myself not really using my Pokémon that much. Works fine for the more action oriented Legends Arceus, and I suppose the research tasks encourage you to engage in battling (if only to spam moves and knock out a bunch of mons), but for the rest of the series, where battles are the core mechanic, I don't want them to be trivialized.

If the "throw to catch" system leaves the Legends sub series, I want a better balance on how battles vs catches are handled.

Obviously they have to bring back the good feel of aiming and throwing from arceus at the very least. It’s horrible in SV. Ideally Pokémon would have “field moves” based on their type or ability that let them attack wild Pokémon a little without going into a separate battle.

This couldn’t be very extensive, but most Pokémon could have 2-3 field moves, and you could assign one to them. Like, throw a berry as a distraction. Throw out a bug Pokémon to put down a sticky web that makes the wild Pokémon have trouble running away. Then throw out a Pokémon that puts them to sleep. Then throw the pokeball.

Add some auto-aim that actually works properly so it’s not too much of a hassle, and you basically just lock onto them and throw your mons in the order you think is best and they take care of things themselves. I think this would make catching way more fun. No need to enter a full battle unless you fail or you’re worried the Pokémon is gonna run, you get to use your Pokémon not just throw balls, and it could scale over the course of the game so if you do need to catch weaker Pokémon or Pokémon you’ve already caught you can just throw a strong ball. But if you wanna catch something stronger you gotta put in some work.

I aced my final exams and I didn’t even get a boost to my Charm stat??? How am I supposed to continue Makoto’s social li-

Err… wait

Obviously they have to bring back the good feel of aiming and throwing from arceus at the very least. It’s horrible in SV. Ideally Pokémon would have “field moves” based on their type or ability that let them attack wild Pokémon a little without going into a separate battle.

This couldn’t be very extensive, but most Pokémon could have 2-3 field moves, and you could assign one to them. Like, throw a berry as a distraction. Throw out a bug Pokémon to put down a sticky web that makes the wild Pokémon have trouble running away. Then throw out a Pokémon that puts them to sleep. Then throw the pokeball.

Add some auto-aim that actually works properly so it’s not too much of a hassle, and you basically just lock onto them and throw your mons in the order you think is best and they take care of things themselves. I think this would make catching way more fun. No need to enter a full battle unless you fail or you’re worried the Pokémon is gonna run, you get to use your Pokémon not just throw balls, and it could scale over the course of the game so if you do need to catch weaker Pokémon or Pokémon you’ve already caught you can just throw a strong ball. But if you wanna catch something stronger you gotta put in some work.
This sounds like something I would love to see in a Legends sequel. The battle system is already kinda weak, so I could see this really benefitting a more action oriented approach away from just the standard, turn-based system, especially one where you are constantly performing captures.

...but because it deemphasizes battling, it's something I don't want outside of the Legends subseries outside of better aiming options.

This sounds like something I would love to see in a Legends sequel. The battle system is already kinda weak, so I could see this really benefitting a more action oriented approach away from just the standard, turn-based system, especially one where you are constantly performing captures.

...but because it deemphasizes battling, it's something I don't want outside of the Legends subseries outside of better aiming options.
Well I want it because battling for captures isn’t interesting anyway. Half the time you’re just throwing a quick ball. The other half you just use false swipe. Etc. It’s not interesting anyway so I’d rather they overhaul it.

Orthworm makes the poison base pretty simple. It took me two attempts to beat Atticus. The first time he wiped my team of mostly mid-to-high 20s easily. The second time I brought Orthworm, who nearly beat Atticus’ entire team by itself even though it was ten levels under leveled for the fight.

Two bases down! I wonder, is the poison base supposed to be the third one?

Orthworm makes the poison base pretty simple. It took me two attempts to beat Atticus. The first time he wiped my team of mostly mid-to-high 20s easily. The second time I brought Orthworm, who nearly beat Atticus’ entire team by itself even though it was ten levels under leveled for the fight.

Two bases down! I wonder, is the poison base supposed to be the third one?
It is. Pretty sure the in-game map icons describe Atticus as mid power for the Team Star bosses. Which ones have you done so far?

I also skipped the first one, apparently, and Mela kicked my ass with that car lol

The Star boss theme is fucking rad though, best battle theme in the game so far.

I'm 25h in and I feel there is still soooo much to do. I only have two badges, two titans and one Star boss done, and have only fully explored the south portion of the map.

Well I want it because battling for captures isn’t interesting anyway. Half the time you’re just throwing a quick ball. The other half you just use false swipe. Etc. It’s not interesting anyway so I’d rather they overhaul it
I would much rather they make the battling more interesting than dempshsising it, one of the main appeals of Pokemon is the battle system, so I think making it better is the best course of action rather than have the players rarely use it.

Well I want it because battling for captures isn’t interesting anyway. Half the time you’re just throwing a quick ball. The other half you just use false swipe. Etc. It’s not interesting anyway so I’d rather they overhaul it.
See, my main thing is that, in these attempts to make catching "more interesting," it just further disconnects it from the Pokémon battle system. Pokémon battles are meant to be a vector for multiple interaction points - catching, fighting wild Pokémon, fighting trainers in the field, gym battles, etc. The catching portion is just one small element of that - not the most interesting portion of the loop, fair, but one that's well-integrated into the system. Especially for players who only aim to catch what's interested in them and not the Legends Arceus catch em all style (though even then, I do like catching in the standard series too).

I'd much rather find ways to keep the battles up front and center. If they want to deemphasize battles, maybe that's a sign that said loop doesn't need traditional battles, which is why I find it much more suitable for a Legend sequel.

Is that one on the west side of the map? I’ve been circling back that way anyway after Iono’s gym.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is. The description on the map says that one is the weakest.

I wish it would be that way. currently on a break from the game to do other stuff.
The exploration feels more hollow then with my 2 main comparisons:

( ... more a personal disappointment rant to be honest)

BotW and Legends.
  • I feel like the Level design is less natural and intriguing as in BotW, and maybe slightly under Legends. Or comparable. Hard to tell.
  • The areas feel hollow. In arceus, you where not done, you used the items you found, so they where worth something, you did not "finish" an area that fast.Knowing where to find some resources that you would need was great in both. Here? there is no correlation, how many TMs do we really need? for the main game i dort need any at all. So finding TMs and resources to make TMs is kinda... empty.

Catching Pokémon? Legends needed me to find many of the same and interact with them more. With how it is in S/V, over world interaction is reduced heavily, and when you got one, you are done.
So after i was in an area and caught all Pokémons and found all items..im kinda done already, and its faster then in Arceus.

The world looks bad. BotW had me in awe at moments, legends the world at least felt alive, but S/V has just to many graphical and performance problems that i can never lose myself in the world, its struggling every moment to let me see it, it feels like a haze between me and Paldea.

Trainer battles never felt so empty like they do in this game.

I se a lot of potential in the open world formula, but in my opinion they did not nail it, and the second time ever i really cant get over performance problems on switch (Links Awakening, BotW on release, SMT5, ... the other one was Age of Calamity).

It just is weird, because there are so many regressions from Arceus.
And also the other 2 did nail the scale of the world more. The Pokémon here are sometimes really to tiny, and the world ...you traverse it so freaking fast, both other games felt bigger, even if im sure that at least Arceus was not bigger.

As it stands, its a fine game, a technical mess. Maybe it will change in the late game.

You could make the battling to catch more interactive by letting players use a move and a Pokéball in the same turn, and making the standard catch rate lower to compensate

Think I got all the Eevee’s I’m gonna get for this event. 9/18 ain’t too bad I think. Not like I have a specific plan for any of them anyway.

The Team Star grunt battle music is so good, one of my favorite Pokémon battle themes in a while. Wish you got to hear it more.

Just got the credits rolling, what a blast this game was!!

I loved literally everything about it, except the performance LMAO.
I only wish I knew that the game doesn't store the pictures you get when clearing the quests on the game itself. I would have taken a screenshot otherwise. :*)

Now that the game is over, maybe the vice grip it has on me will lessen too. I look forward to taking my time to finish the dex and post game!

This might be my favorite pokemon game yet! Except it loses to Sun in sentimental value because it was my first Poke game haha.

I really really like Orthworm. I love how it’s got a bunch of little arms that come out when it does certain things. It’s adorable.

I wish it would be that way. currently on a break from the game to do other stuff.
The exploration feels more hollow then with my 2 main comparisons:

( ... more a personal disappointment rant to be honest)

BotW and Legends.
  • I feel like the Level design is less natural and intriguing as in BotW, and maybe slightly under Legends. Or comparable. Hard to tell.
  • The areas feel hollow. In arceus, you where not done, you used the items you found, so they where worth something, you did not "finish" an area that fast.Knowing where to find some resources that you would need was great in both. Here? there is no correlation, how many TMs do we really need? for the main game i dort need any at all. So finding TMs and resources to make TMs is kinda... empty.

Catching Pokémon? Legends needed me to find many of the same and interact with them more. With how it is in S/V, over world interaction is reduced heavily, and when you got one, you are done.
So after i was in an area and caught all Pokémons and found all items..im kinda done already, and its faster then in Arceus.

The world looks bad. BotW had me in awe at moments, legends the world at least felt alive, but S/V has just to many graphical and performance problems that i can never lose myself in the world, its struggling every moment to let me see it, it feels like a haze between me and Paldea.

Trainer battles never felt so empty like they do in this game.

I se a lot of potential in the open world formula, but in my opinion they did not nail it, and the second time ever i really cant get over performance problems on switch (Links Awakening, BotW on release, SMT5, ... the other one was Age of Calamity).

It just is weird, because there are so many regressions from Arceus.
And also the other 2 did nail the scale of the world more. The Pokémon here are sometimes really to tiny, and the world ...you traverse it so freaking fast, both other games felt bigger, even if im sure that at least Arceus was not bigger.

As it stands, its a fine game, a technical mess. Maybe it will change in the late game.
Disagree. For me finding resources in Arceus was a waste of time after I beat the final boss because the game kind of became a "Shiny Hunter Simulator" which serve me as a reminder of why I don't like hunting for shines in the first place, in here the resources are more engaging to find because I can sell them or use them to raise monsters (for the record i sell them to have money to buy items I'll be using to raise those monsters) for Online multiplayer.

Last edited:
I know I'm late to the party but (early Pokemon evolution spoiler)
the reason Finizen evolves at 38 is because Superman made his debut in 1938 and the whole leave and come back as his superhero form is a reference to Clark Kent leaving and coming back as Superman.
I know I am probably not the first in here to make this connection but still cool.

I know I'm late to the party but (early Pokemon evolution spoiler)
the reason Finizen evolves at 38 is because Superman made his debut in 1938 and the whole leave and come back as his superhero form is a reference to Clark Kent leaving and coming back as Superman.
I know I am probably not the first in here to make this connection but still cool.
That is amazing holy shit. The new methods of evolution this generation are so cool.

Watching my partner go through the game, and she just finished the Team Star questline.

Man, where were Game Freak's writers in Sw/Sh, this was legit better than I was expecting of a pokemon game. That was great.

Also, is it just us or does anyone else get huge trans-coded feels with Penny?

Watching my partner go through the game, and she just finished the Team Star questline.

Man, where were Game Freak's writers in Sw/Sh, this was legit better than I was expecting of a pokemon game. That was great.

Out of all the Eeveelutions to give her on her team, of course her strongest is a Sylveon. They knew what they were doing there.

Out of all the Eeveelutions to give her on her team, of course her strongest is a Sylveon. They knew what they were doing there.
Not only that, but her dialogue before terastallizing is about "becoming your true self", which... I can't actually give any meaning if there isn't any trans subtext there, it feels out of place otherwise, sort of.

The battle system is already kinda weak, so I could see this really benefitting a more action oriented approach away from just the standard, turn-based system, especially one where you are constantly performing captures
You know, this is actually a great idea. Have Legends shift towards full action gameplay.

Penny is definitely trans as hell and Team Star is just one big queer found family

Back
Top Bottom