• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet |ST| Who You Callin' Paldea, Friend?

Also, is it just us or does anyone else get huge trans-coded feels with Penny?
Oh absolutely. It made me so happy to learn that her ace is Sylveon after already having that vibe when she was revealed. A lot of stuff that fuels it in my mind.

Last edited:
Finished the 8th gym, and things have definitely stopped being too tough, at least for now. That or it's more that my team is finally mostly done evolving and learning good moves. Ceruledge, Annihilape, and Glimmora are STRONG, dang. Also been very impressed with Meowscarada, that signature move is kinda crazy

If I didn't know better I'd think legendary Pokemon are programmed to shake the ball 3 times and bust out at least once.

Anyone up for a 6-star Tera Raid with a Dragon Dodonza? I've tried a couple of times online but people keep bringing their box Legendaries (seemingly at the level you obtain them at) and getting repeatedly one-shot by Order Up lol

EDIT: Dondozo lol, not Dodonza. I managed to get it with an online Azumarill and two CPUs

Last edited:
Anyone up for a 6-star Tera Raid with a Dragon Dodonza? I've tried a couple of times online but people keep bringing their box Legendaries (seemingly at the level you obtain them at) and getting repeatedly one-shot by Order Up lol
I trained up a Kingambit today, I could try giving it a shot with that?

One of my nephews started playing Violet. Apparently he’s really enjoying his first Pokemon game. He’s currently rocking Jodie the Quaxly, Lechon the Lechonk, Perry the Psyduck and George the Fidough.

One of my nephews started playing Violet. Apparently he’s really enjoying his first Pokemon game. He’s currently rocking Jodie the Quaxly, Lechon the Lechonk, Perry the Psyduck and George the Fidough.
"A normal Psyduck?"

Perry Terastalizes

"Perry the Psyduck!"

I would much rather they make the battling more interesting than dempshsising it, one of the main appeals of Pokemon is the battle system, so I think making it better is the best course of action rather than have the players rarely use it.

See, my main thing is that, in these attempts to make catching "more interesting," it just further disconnects it from the Pokémon battle system. Pokémon battles are meant to be a vector for multiple interaction points - catching, fighting wild Pokémon, fighting trainers in the field, gym battles, etc. The catching portion is just one small element of that - not the most interesting portion of the loop, fair, but one that's well-integrated into the system. Especially for players who only aim to catch what's interested in them and not the Legends Arceus catch em all style (though even then, I do like catching in the standard series too).

I'd much rather find ways to keep the battles up front and center. If they want to deemphasize battles, maybe that's a sign that said loop doesn't need traditional battles, which is why I find it much more suitable for a Legend sequel.
Yeah I get ya. I would also like them to emphasize the battle system, but I think the best way to do that is by making trainer battles more interesting. I doubt they can do it with wild Pokémon without it becoming a slog.

This game's online stuff is SO much better than those stupid Y-Comms, and that weird Plaza Sun/Moon had. Finally back to a good online system which they did well in X and Y then fumbled afterwards.

"A normal Psyduck?"

Perry Terastalizes

"Perry the Psyduck!"
He was disappointed he couldn’t put a cap on Perry, yeah.

best way to do that is by making trainer battles more interesting
Yeah, another reason the battles are a slog is because they’re so easy. GF needs to bump up the trainer team compositions and AI.

Just wish they could implement difficulty modes, really. Let veterans fight through the game against people that have full teams, can use strats, etc.

Yeah I get ya. I would also like them to emphasize the battle system, but I think the best way to do that is by making trainer battles more interesting. I doubt they can do it with wild Pokémon without it becoming a slog.
I think if they brought back the timer and the motion controlled throwing from let's go, that's one way.

yUHb77v.jpg

Game finished. It was ok.

Pokemon League was pretty disappointing besides Larry, that was the only Gym Leader that left some sort of impression, the tests were ok for the most part, they really just didn't do much of anything for Grusha. Nemona is pretty basic, but for a one true rival shtick she doesn't have enough going for her, much weaker than the likes of Hop, USUM Hau, Gladion, Hugh, Cheren, Bianca, ORAS Wally; I don't dislike her, but she and the League as a whole are the weakest part of the main game and it stings after how Unova, Alola and specially Galar handled those. No Victory Road again, Elite 4 was definitely my favorite part, Champion was weak, so was the theme, which I only got to hear after finishing the game because of a glitch, and messing with my music experience is one step too far for me, much above performance and visual glitches.

Arven is a great character (
and somehow one of the 2 fights in the game that actually gave me trouble
), the whole Titan thing could have been an expansion over the Totems from Sun and Moon, but there isn't an interesting challenge or traversal/level design that could be overcome on top of the fight, a somewhat weak section carried by a decent bit of character moments.

Team Star is the better part of the game, writing reminds me of Team Skull, the bases could have used more personality, wish they could have also participated in some way beyond just the bases, like finding them in cities trying to recruit people or searching for their boss idk, but the challenge is fine and the battles were actually cool, more so the later ones. Also pretty good music tracks, don't have much issues with that part of the game, good characters, they leave an impression in their short time, memorable stuff.

Given my playtime I didn't spend much time in the open world, I find it pretty uninteresting in terms of level design and biomes, very sparse if any type of landmark, is mostly big green area, cave, canyon, and as someone not interesting in catching Pokemon from older gens unless is a new form, there isn't much else for me to get invested into. Towns/Cities kind of suck, there isn't much to the NPCs, the designs of the cities rub me the wrong way, and I'm not smart enough to put into words why. Overall I was just thinking how cool it would be to have a location like Glimwood Tangle expanded over an open world. The way battling works out and the added sluggishness to the flow of combat hurt the game for me, is not unplayable speed like Diamond and Pearl, but is noticeable in its slowness, somehow Tera raids is faster than doing wild fights and trainer battles, which meant that it was the way I leveled my team, evaded a lot of trainer fights because a lot of them get to be out of the way depending on how you traverse the world, and since they don't initiate combat with you anymore, I didn't bother with a lot of them. But at least I'm not forced to interact much with a world I don't find very engaging, and can just do the stuff I want to do, just that I have to walk a lot more to get to that stuff I want to do. It also feels pretty hard to get the feel of a lively world when everything pops into existence and everything that is a few meters away is just nothing.

Tera Pokemon are an interesting idea that aren't implemented that well in the main game I feel, a lot of the times when the opponent does it is more of a disadvantage more than anything else, Tera in story battles could bring an interesting twist, would have been cooler if the Pokemon they bring out was their signature type and the Tera swaps to another, like a counter, that would make it more unpredictable and make for a more interesting challenge.
It really sticks out when the Normal type gym has Staraptor as his ace, which would be good against the fighting type I was using, but it Tera types to Normal letting me do full super effective damage against it.
. Also changing Tera type sounds like a hassle.

Area Zero has some cool moments, tho I feel it needed more build up, is not a sequence that the game fully earns to me besides the Arven stuff. tho really only BW and SM earn everything from their end sequences for me, also a moment where I wish the environment design was a lot better, because is a good idea, but the music carries most of its atmosphere. Can sum it all up as a very roundabout way to make the professor the main antagonist in a Pokemon game

I was getting comfy with the ending but then they gotta ruin it with the credits theme.

So yea, wasn't a big fan of it, it has its good and pretty good moments tho, more so towards the end.

I found a Ice-Tera-Type Toxel in one of those 1* dens. That's the one 4x weakness dealt with. ^^

Despite me being distracted by nearly everything in the world, i finally managed some progess over the weekend. The first two Team Star bosses done, Grass Gym done, and standing in front of Gym 3, the Electric one.

I think i forgot to do the second Titan battle inbetween somewhere there (level-wise), oh well, doing it overpowered then.

The "mainstays" of the team are ~ lvl 30, but i constantly shift out some of the others for new ones, that keeps me from being too overleveled.

Is there a way to trade pokémon like in previous games that you just left a pokemon and requested another pokémon and you just... got it? Am I missing something?

Is there a way to trade pokémon like in previous games that you just left a pokemon and requested another pokémon and you just... got it? Am I missing something?
That was the gts: global trade system. It was too convenient, so they took it out in favor of something worse, game freak style.

That was the gts: global trading system. It was too convenient, so they took it out in favor of something worse, game freak style.
Sigh. My GF has Violet so I can get the version exclusives like that, but oh my god was the GTS great in previous entries.

One thing they could do is integrate it into Pokémon Home. Then again, it's probably too much to ask for a service that costs 15€ a year.

First attempt at shiny hunting with sandwiches was pretty successful, i'd say.

Sigh. My GF has Violet so I can get the version exclusives like that, but oh my god was the GTS great in previous entries.

One thing they could do is integrate it into Pokémon Home. Then again, it's probably too much to ask for a service that costs 15€ a year.
The GTS is in Pokemon home, on the moblie version

Disagree. For me finding resources in Arceus was a waste of time after I beat the final boss because the game kind of became a "Shiny Hunter Simulator" which serve me as a reminder of why I don't like hunting for shines in the first place, in here the resources are more engaging to find because I can sell them or use them to raise monsters (for the record i sell them to have money to buy items I'll be using to raise those monsters) for Online multiplayer.
probably one of the problems of pokemon cathering to different playerbases...

i play Pokémon for the single player experience. im not big into online battling, and also not so much into shiny hunting.

Main game, post game side quests, legendary hunting, and if im motivated trying to finish the dex.
Legends was great for finishing the dex, since it was possible to do it by yourself.
After that, i had my fill (but yeah, at that point items are pointless)

If you play S/V without online battling in mind, then 90% of items you can get are pointless, and just from playing the story you have more then enough money to buy the handful of healing items and pokeballs you need. While the resources in arceus where essential for making pokeballs and healing items. The fact that you don't need that many pokeballs and other hunting items and that healing items are that much more expensive to buy makes the resources worth gathering.

Im arceus, i buy a bunch of balls every few hours, that's enough, since usually 1-3 is enough per pokmon and i don't need 20 types of the same pokemon, and i cant miss. I also don't really need many healing items, since ... there is a Pokecenter every few meters, and MPCs heal you. I even stopped using the picknick for healing, since starting that and assembling the sandwich takes longer then just running to the nearest pokecenter.

Yeah, releasing Ranked with this will be a nightmare.
I imagine they'll fix this with the same update that unlocks ranked or earlier, presumably they just used fixed seeds for testing/dev purposes and forgot to randomize them again in the shipped product. Shouldn't be too hard to solve.

Oh. That's actually decent (although not having it be accessible ON YOUR CONSOLE is pretty dumb).

Still, no use if I want to finish the Pokédex for Pokémon Scarlet before Spring 2023.
It's even worse, since Home's GTS is borderline broken with all the people asking for Pharaoh Trim Furfrou, which currently is only available in Pokémon Go and only in Egypt, basically making most trades vanity posts.

It's even worse, since Home's GTS is borderline broken with all the people asking for Pharaoh Trim Furfrou, which currently is only available in Pokémon Go and only in Egypt, basically making most trades vanity posts.

It could be worse. They could also be asking for it to be shiny!

J/K ... online trading (for me) was always shit. Too many "i want X legendary" or "lvl 100" and stuff like that.

Isn't that what the GTS usually devolves into?

It could be worse. They could also be asking for it to be shiny!

J/K ... online trading (for me) was always shit. Too many "i want X legendary" or "lvl 100" and stuff like that.

Isn't that what the GTS usually devolves into?
At least with Gen 6/7, the ribbon ban on mythical Pokémon and filter legendary system meant that most trades were at least reasonable (normal trades were not lost in a sea of bullshit that had to be scrolled through, and legendary for legendary is at least a reasonable value proposition). Now though, trading for legends is practically impossible, since everyone is asking for something arguably rarer than most mythicals, and there's just a bunch of clutter trades for regular mons. On top of this, even depositing and proposing your own trade is worse, since if you want say Caylrex, you practically need a Furfrou, since that's now the "value" of that mon, even something like Zacian, which in the past would have been enough, isn't enough. It's been this way for a year and GF/ILCA hasn't done anything to stop it, even just disabling asking for forms would go a long way. These issues would be less aggravating if the GTS wasn't attached to an app with a paid subscription, and being in game would mitigate the issue of being able to ask for stupidly rare mons.

At least with Gen 6/7, the ribbon ban on mythical Pokémon and filter legendary system meant that most trades were at least reasonable (normal trades were not lost in a sea of bullshit that had to be scrolled through, and legendary for legendary is at least a reasonable value proposition). Now though, trading for legends is practically impossible, since everyone is asking for something arguably rarer than most mythicals, and there's just a bunch of clutter trades for regular mons. On top of this, even depositing and proposing your own trade is worse, since if you want say Caylrex, you practically need a Furfrou, since that's now the "value" of that mon, even something like Zacian, which in the past would have been enough, isn't enough. It's been this way for a year and GF/ILCA hasn't done anything to stop it, even just disabling asking for forms would go a long way. These issues would be less aggravating if the GTS wasn't attached to an app with a paid subscription, and being in game would mitigate the issue of being able to ask for stupidly rare mons.
The home GTS is actually free, whereas if it was in game it would be locked behind NSO. So it's actually better this way, it can open up to more people

I feel very alone in the fact that I think Paldea is actually beautiful lol. Haven’t been to the northern ends yet but I’m enjoying my time checking out the scenery.

The home GTS is actually free, whereas if it was in game it would be locked behind NSO. So it's actually better this way, it can open up to more people
I'd be in favor of having both a Home GTS and an in-game one. The main problems with Home's GTS right now is that it's clunky to use (having to juggle multiple games and devices is just slow and annoying, especially if you don't pay due to having only one free box), requires the use of an external device (most people do have smart devices, but plenty don't, especially kids), and arguably too open for its own good (see the Furfrou problem). An in-game option would be nice for the convenience factor and keeping the list of Pokémon to trade for more manageable. Plus, even with the NSO paywall there's still tons and tons of people who would make up a sizable trade base in-game.

I feel very alone in the fact that I think Paldea is actually beautiful lol. Haven’t been to the northern ends yet but I’m enjoying my time checking out the scenery.
I'm right there with you lol
I have over 1,000 screenshots from camera mode alone just because I keep finding a scenic hill or gorgeous vista

Why are Iron Hands the meta in Raids? Everyone seems to bring them

Dunno if it's about the type (though there's Pawmot with the same type and that unique signature move).

Mind you i haven't looked at it's movelist, but maybe it's due to the stats? Up to 510+ HP and 410+ Attack are arguments.

I'd be in favor of having both a Home GTS and an in-game one. The main problems with Home's GTS right now is that it's clunky to use (having to juggle multiple games and devices is just slow and annoying, especially if you don't pay due to having only one free box), requires the use of an external device (most people do have smart devices, but plenty don't, especially kids), and arguably too open for its own good (see the Furfrou problem). An in-game option would be nice for the convenience factor and keeping the list of Pokémon to trade for more manageable. Plus, even with the NSO paywall there's still tons and tons of people who would make up a sizable trade base in-game.
Having an in game one wouldn't make it more accessible for kids bc how many parents would be willing to pay for NSO for them.
Yes having both would be nice but it wouldn't fix the inaccessibility of it.

I wonder how many shiny pokemon I missed in this game. Last night I was exploring and I ran across a group of Mareep and saw a pink one. I'm like is that a glitch in the lighting since it's in a shadow or an actual shiny? It was a shiny. Didn't hear a sound or anything. And then I ran across another group of Mareep and wouldn't you know it, another shiny Mareep. Again no sound. So now I have two shiny Mareep.

Tera Pokemon are an interesting idea that aren't implemented that well in the main game I feel, a lot of the times when the opponent does it is more of a disadvantage more than anything else, Tera in story battles could bring an interesting twist, would have been cooler if the Pokemon they bring out was their signature type and the Tera swaps to another, like a counter, that would make it more unpredictable and make for a more interesting challenge.
It really sticks out when the Normal type gym has Staraptor as his ace, which would be good against the fighting type I was using, but it Tera types to Normal letting me do full super effective damage against it.
. Also changing Tera type sounds like a hassle.
the ice gym did the same thing. Sending out an Alteria against my Lucario sounded like a great idea since it could learn plenty of ice moves as well as flying moves but NOPE, it's tera type is ice and Lucario fucked it up

I really can't stand this trend of modern pokemon games insisting on going easy on you. I'm not finished yet, have 14/18 badges, but I can't imagine it gets much harder.

OT, but this is another reason why I loved Arceus. It didn't pull punches.

Why are Iron Hands the meta in Raids? Everyone seems to bring them
Belly Drum with great stats. Drain Punch is basically a full heal because of the scaling.

Usually in higher level raids the team wants to spend the first turn setting up so they can potentially one-shot or two-shot it. Belly Drum is perfect for this, and Iron Hands has the bulk to live moves at half health.

You want bulky Pokemon in raids, because dying reduces the timer by a lot.

That's why if you're locking in Meowscarada and Quaquaval you may see people leave lol.

the ice gym did the same thing. Sending out an Alteria against my Lucario sounded like a great idea since it could learn plenty of ice moves as well as flying moves but NOPE, it's tera type is ice and Lucario fucked it up

I really can't stand this trend of modern pokemon games insisting on going easy on you. I'm not finished yet, have 14/18 badges, but I can't imagine it gets much harder.

I picked Fuecoco and its final evolutions signature move is overpowered and I was overleveled for the last part of the game and the rest of my team was underleveled and it did give me a run of my money, I lost on my first attempt of the final elite four member and almost lost at the final boss, so I think it gets fairly hard.
I might just suck tho

Belly Drum with great stats. Drain Punch is basically a full heal because of the scaling.

Usually in higher level raids the team wants to spend the first turn setting up so they can potentially one-shot or two-shot it. Belly Drum is perfect for this, and Iron Hands has the bulk to live moves at half health.

That's why if you're locking in Meowscarada and Quaquaval you may see people leave lol.

My trusty Clodsire might see some use in late game then. Bulky, absorbs water attacks, immune to electric, can't be poisoned.

Too bad it hits like a wet noodle.

Add this to these tiktokkers talking about it and it's like a siege upon tera raids lol. I mean idc. I hate these 5-star tera raids.

MODERN Pokemon game going easy on us? The final boss of the first game will Tail Whip at us and the final boss of Ruby Sapphire had a team so bad that one of his monsters is an Aggron that features two moves he cannot use properly due to his stat spread. Arceus is also pretty easy, the only time I died was to the post-game super-boss who flat out cheated by having 8 monsters in his team, and even then that was a battle I only needed to redo once.

Yeah difficulty is not an issue with just modern Pokemon lol.

Honestly the hardest bosses in any of the games are the totem Pokemon in Sun and Moon.

I love how easy it is to get good pokemon now.

Koraidon (properly trained) can solo like half the 5-star raids. That gets you a good pokemon with 4 IVs. If one of the two missing IVs is its unused Attack or Sp Attack stat, that means it just costs $20,000 for a bottle cap to get perfect IVs. And frankly you'll have plenty of bottle caps if you grind 5-star raids anyway.

And plenty of your favourites will be in that 5 star list. I've got Garchomp, Gardevoir, all the eevees etc.

Haven't raided online yet but I did manage to solo two six-star raids - both Scizor, which is one of my favs. One came out with Sp Attack as his missing IV - functionally perfect. Just needs 30 minutes with bracer items to train the EVs and he's good to go. That's light years ahead of how hard it was to procure quality pokemon in prior games.

I love how easy it is to get good pokemon now.

Koraidon (properly trained) can solo like half the 5-star raids. That gets you a good pokemon with 4 IVs. If one of the two missing IVs is its unused Attack or Sp Attack stat, that means it just costs $20,000 for a bottle cap to get perfect IVs. And frankly you'll have plenty of bottle caps if you grind 5-star raids anyway.

And plenty of your favourites will be in that 5 star list. I've got Garchomp, Gardevoir, all the eevees etc.

Haven't raided online yet but I did manage to solo two six-star raids - both Scizor, which is one of my favs. One came out with Sp Attack as his missing IV - functionally perfect. Just needs 30 minutes with bracer items to train the EVs and he's good to go. That's light years ahead of how hard it was to procure quality pokemon in prior games.
The time consuming method here, at least for competitive, is getting the Tera Type you want on a Pokemon.

Often it won't be one of the default options, so you're either hoping to get lucky in raids, or you will need to grind raids to get 50 tera shards at 3-5 a raid (less for 1-4 star raids).

Kind of a pain, especially when the Tera mechanic seemingly encourages experimentation and swapping around Tera Types. Hopefully they include Tera shards in the monthly ranked rewards.

Just timed-out on a 5* raid I was easily winning with most of the time remaining because the game just... disabled my controls in the cheer menu until the 'There isn't much time left!' message appeared, at which point I could select a cheer but it was too late to really do anything. I wasn't even playing online, so it's not lag or a desync. In the long-term this sort of thing is probably going to sour me on the game given raiding is a large part of the endgame, so this is really something they need to fix.

Just timed-out on a 5* raid I was easily winning with most of the time remaining because the game just... disabled my controls in the cheer menu until the 'There isn't much time left!' message appeared, at which point I could select a cheer but it was too late to really do anything. I wasn't even playing online, so it's not lag or a desync. In the long-term this sort of thing is probably going to sour me on the game given raiding is a large part of the endgame, so this is really something they need to fix.
There are issues with the end of these higher starred raids if you are running low on time. I've noticed a couple including the complete skipping of an attack turn on my side.

Back
Top Bottom