• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to spoil myself much more, so I didn't watch much, but the face customization looks nice! Gives us a bit more personality.

Running around the over world looks boring tbh, the Pokemon just stand there and do nothing. Missed opportunity to incorporate pla's mechanics imo. It will probably still be a good game but idk im cautious.

Ok my interest for this game went from zero to 100,that trailer sold me on it.

That said, I'm not a fan of the tm machine. Not sure why that mechanic has gotten progressively worse in recent gens.

Good trailer, although it was basically just a "more details" version of the last one. I would've liked more than just one new Pokemon.

A good chunk of the trailer is already stuff we knew about (not talking about leaks here, I haven’t looked at those). I actually kinda like that? Keep a lot of stuff secret for now.

Gut reaction: Farigiraf is the first S/V mon whose look I do not like. Also I hope Pokemon won’t just be idling around in the overworld… more atmospheric actions, please.

@Derachi I can’t believe Pokemon incorporated a Subway simulator!

I like all the new Pokemon so far and how content rich the game seems to be but goddamn does it look rough. Very visually unappealing, in some cases straight up ugly looking game.

I'll preface this by saying I'm really looking forward to this, it looks like it will be a very fun game with lots of great features.

However I feel the graphics have taken a big step down from Sword and Shield and I also mean the art direction as well, I guess that's the trade off for an open-world game but it's a shame that the art style feels a bit bland as well as everything being a bit rough round the edges.

Still looks great but I feel like there’s a whole other part of the game that’s waiting to drop.

I'm sure it'll be a fun game but I wish Game Freak would care more about their game's overall look and presentation. Looks so bland.

I have more hype for an indie like Cassette Beasts and that has a more appealing graphical style to this game.

Mixed feelings tbh. Picnics seem cool (don't know if I'll engage much with the mechanic tough), and customization seems way broader, maybe not gender locked as well(?), craftable TMs, etc...

All in all it's a nice overview trailer but it definitely shows the roughest technical aspects of the game, the grass pop-in in the desert area was unbelievable, and the Sunfloras tanking the framerate too. I'm not too bothered by this stuff but here it seems worse than in previous games; and on top of that I honestly found PLA's artsyle way more pleasing.

Still excited for the game though.

I really hope I don’t sound like some graphics snob but this game is ugly. Pokémon sword and shield and legend Arceus we’re by no means graphical marvels but atleast the art direction was solid imo

the wild pokemon battle transitions are so rough, but everything looks great! super excited

Lacking animations (which is a problem Arceus solved), lots of technical problems and pop-in.

HOWEVER, I do like many of the QoL improvements I see here including the customization and ability to battle Pokemon on the go (which should make grinding much easier), the amount of freedom that this game "supposedly" gives you should be interesting as well but I'm not expecting much to be honest. Overall, with all the things these games convey they can be taken as Game Freak's actual first proper Pokemon games on Switch and we can finally ignore that Sword&Shield ever existed.

That grass pop-in is rough as fuck. It really is about time for new hardware.
It has been said a lot but new hardware will hardly fix the issues here. This is a Game Freak problem.

There are some things I think seem very cool
And Pokémon designs are, as always, super good
But... this game looks so, so ugly to me. The textures are horrible in so many places.
The framerate also looks very very off. I know games tend to have lower framerate for distant things, which is fine, but it is just SO noticeable here
And those Sunfloras, just, chuggin' along.
I am not sure I care super much for the direction the Pokémon games are taking. Open world Pokémon is cool, but I wish we'd get more good level designs for a tighter game, like the old ones, again.

I guess the way you handle TMs is to go afk with the autobattle feature to grind out materials? I really hope they let you just buy mats or TMs in the postgame

Ultimately, Gamefreak either needs more time between mainline games, needs to outsource remakes/spinoffs more often like with BD/SP or needs to switch to a 3rd party engine and drop the inhouse engine development.

Ideally all three.

The framerate on the windmill at 7:10ish is wild. It caught me off guard so much I had to laugh out loud. Other than that, it looks about as good as I expected. Some developers can squeeze water out of a rock, Game Freak isn't one of them (for various reasons).

I hate to be negative about Pokémon since we all know it is SO negative to talk about Pokémon anywhere these days
But I miss the way more polished and cohesive experiences of the Pixel games
Nowadays, it feels they throw SO much into the games, mechanics everywhere, characters everywhere, having SO many Pokémon available, etc etc. They do way too much for stuff to feel cohesive
I know a lot of people want to have all mons in the games and junk, but personally, I'd gladly take having 200-y Mons, 100 new, 100 old, for a game, max. I'd rather have the game be more polished than cramming everything in.
I will still get the game, it seems fun enough. But I really hope the game will be more polished one day.

15 minute trailer when I have a meeting in 5 minutes?! how could they

Well, technically it's a "more details" version of what they showed last time + the picnic stuff. So you're not missing out if you watch it later.

So excited. This trailer only made me more hype for the game and I was already very excited.

The framerate on the windmill at 7:10ish is wild. It caught me off guard so much I had to laugh out loud. Other than that, it looks about as good as I expected. Some developers can squeeze water out of a rock, Game Freak isn't one of them (for various reasons).

Yeah, that was a bit jarring to me too. I wonder if it’ll get a performance boost on Drake.

Leakers have talked about everything in the game at this point basically, so that's unlikely.
they did the same for Legends Arceus, especially when the game leaked out to pirates

man, Game Freak is no Monolith Soft and it shows. at this point, it's a tools issue, and I think if they can't spend the time and budget improving their tools, maybe they should move to an external set

I hate to be negative about Pokémon since we all know it is SO negative to talk about Pokémon anywhere these days
But I miss the way more polished and cohesive experiences of the Pixel games
Nowadays, it feels they throw SO much into the games, mechanics everywhere, characters everywhere, having SO many Pokémon available, etc etc. They do way too much for stuff to feel cohesive
I know a lot of people want to have all mons in the games and junk, but personally, I'd gladly take having 200-y Mons, 100 new, 100 old, for a game, max. I'd rather have the game be more polished than cramming everything in.
I will still get the game, it seems fun enough. But I really hope the game will be more polished one day.
Pla had 242 and benefited from it imo so I agree with you.

Yes, yes, we all know that TPC sucks and they should give more resources and time to actual game development but come on, let's be honest, Game Freak was NEVER an impressive studio in terms of graphics and performance, this can be seen right from the beginning with Red&Blue since at the time there were a lot of other better looking games on the OG Game Boy.

(Mind you, Gold&Silver was an improvement in that regard and the content in the past was much better which also makes me wish new entries had more time in the oven).

Anything I say about that trailer will just be negative, so I won't comment on it besides saying that I am disappointed we haven't seen the starter evos yet.

Pla had 242 and benefited from it imo so I agree with you.
Yeah, like, I do not mean cutting down on mons would just suddenly fix all the issues with the game.
But, I prefer fewer mons that looks and moves better, vs all mons that looks and moves stiffly and boring
I miss the pixel games. I even miss blind encounters, haha. I never minded not seeing mons in the overworld.

ok. I must say everything looks much better than I expected. I'm personally really excited for the customization and photo mode. Just please add other gen starters into the game at some point 🥺

The way wild Pokemon just kind of stand there and shrink into the void instead of playing a fainting animation when defeated bothers me lol.

Craftable TMs is an awful idea. The only way it's acceptable is if TMs are unbreakable, so you only have to craft them one time. But I strongly suspect that won't be the case.

12A7C2C2-A528-47B7-A424-46157D1437D3.jpeg

New Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom