• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
they've been adding normal typing to a number of pokemon over the past couple of generations and some folks have been feeling it's passe
Still don't understand the point of this. Only thing adding normal typing does is adding fighting as a weakness. And immunity to ghost attacks but let's be honest, there aren't many good damaging ghost moves.

Still don't understand the point of this. Only thing adding normal typing does is adding fighting as a weakness. And immunity to ghost attacks but let's be honest, there aren't many good damaging ghost moves.
People seemed pretty hyped about Hisuian Zoroark though.

People seemed pretty hyped about Hisuian Zoroark though.
Yeah, Ghost is I think the only typing that objectively benefits from having Normal added to it. Removes one of Ghost's only weaknesses (Ghost), and Normal's only weakness is removed by the Ghost typing (Fighting), plus you get Normal STAB. Just a really great pairing.

I feel like they're trying to make normal exciting somehow. but if you have to attach a more exciting typing to it, that's not really a fix

I assume it’s because there were (and still are) a lot of unused type combinations with the Normal-type, which has historically gotten very few dual types beyond Normal/Flying-type, so they’ve been trying to fix that.

Also, think of the monotype players who like to use Normal-type!! I used to be a Normal-type Gym Leader in a local Pokémon League and I still like to make Normal-type monotype teams, but there wasn’t exactly much type variation available to me until recent generations (and even now the variety’s still not that great, plus I have to deal with a bunch of my staple Normal-types not being brought back now, too).

Adding the Normal type allows Pokémon to be more unique and have different attributes so I'm all for it as it helps them to stand out more from the crowd.

For example, if Sawsbuck was a pure-Grass type it'd be much less interesting because there's an enormous amount of Pure-Grass types already. This way its far more unique.

The better they make Ghost-types (by introducing Pokemon like Dragapult or Spectrier), the more valuable good Normal-types become, too. Ghost is one of the more spammable types.

I was just looking through the Restricted Sparring tasks added in SwSh's DLC, which asks you to win consecutive matches with type-locked teams, and I haven't done Normal yet. Then I looked through my available comp-ready Normal-types and I realized how few options I had to work with.

As someone who do not care at all for competetive stuff and 'is this good for this mon' really, I approve of adding normal to other types. I like them being a bit more unique.
How many Type Combinations overall are we still lacking?

We’re lacking quite a few type combos with Normal and Fairy. Apart from that I think we don’t have Poison/Steel, Dragon/Bug, Electric/Fighting and Rock/Ghost? I’m probably missing something.
Actually, we do have Dragon/Bug, remember Flygon?
... oh right. Of course the giant Dragonfly Dragon is GROUND/Dragon. Logical. XD
But ahem, nice. That is at least a lot of fun Typings remaining. I imagine they are taking it very slow with new type combos as to make sure they can drag 'new ones' out for as long as possible. Which makes sense.

Actually, we do have Dragon/Bug, remember Flygon?
... oh right. Of course the giant Dragonfly Dragon is GROUND/Dragon. Logical. XD
But ahem, nice. That is at least a lot of fun Typings remaining. I imagine they are taking it very slow with new type combos as to make sure they can drag 'new ones' out for as long as possible. Which makes sense.

Thanks, now the pain that we're never getting a Dragon/Bug Mega-Evolution for Flygon is back. ;_;

I don't think there's going to be any new Megas ever again. Maybe a regional variant one day with the desired typing and actually useful stats ...
I'd actually guess we WILL get new Megas. And new Z-Moves. And etc, eventually. One day we will at least get XY remakes, and they will for sure go with nostalgia to continue Megas.
But of course, that is loads of years away, soooo...

they should let Normal be neutral against Steel. Normal's whole schtick is that nothing is weak to it while resistant Pokémon are rare, but Steel is so common competitively as a defensive typing, especially compared to Ghost and Rock, that whatever its niche was no longer exists. Return's not coming back, it's not like Snorlax and Tauros are gonna rise again

while we're at it, recharge moves should work like in Gen I

It is, somehow, only three weeks until release day! This is probably the most excited I've been for a new Pokemon gen since... er... either Sun/Moon or maybe even Black/White.

PSA: someone uploaded a picture of the game's Box screen and it has been vetted by leakers to be legitimate. Get in your spoiler bunkers now, leak season is upon us

PSA: someone uploaded a picture of the game's Box screen and it has been vetted by leakers to be legitimate. Get in your spoiler bunkers now, leak season is upon us
Doesn't mean a thing. Most likely the game is not playable without the day 1 patch.

Could be fake, we can't be sure. BDSP required day 1 patch to fully play the game (not sure about PLA), I'm sure similar thing will be in effect in SV.
PLA didn't require a day 1 patch, and BDSP was still playable start to finish - it's just that one in particular was so poorly made that it would fall apart if you breathed on it wrong. Besides, reliable people have confirmed it's real anyways and there's no harm in being safe

Has there been any Nintendo game that wasn't playable without a day 1 patch? I'm sure I would have heard the outrage, but maybe I'm out of the loop or forgetful.

PLA didn't require a day 1 patch, and BDSP was still playable start to finish - it's just that one in particular was so poorly made that it would fall apart if you breathed on it wrong. Besides, reliable people have confirmed it's real anyways and there's no harm in being safe
It's impossible to stay safe, it's always all around the twitter and reddit. Being in a blackout is harder than before. This time there got to be a patch, maybe not a fully blocking one, instead one that blocks new pokémon or something.

Or Nintendo gets these idiots before they leak everything.

Could be fake, we can't be sure. BDSP required day 1 patch to fully play the game (not sure about PLA), I'm sure similar thing will be in effect in SV.
Why? What other Pokémon game has this been the case for? BDSP was not developed by Game Freak so it was a different situation

Has there been any Nintendo game that wasn't playable without a day 1 patch? I'm sure I would have heard the outrage, but maybe I'm out of the loop or forgetful.
Nope, there's none but BDSP. Honestly, it's much better idea than fining people hundreds of thousands dollars.

here's a hot take, if you're online enough to be reading this thread you have absolutely no basis to complain about early copy spoilers

I think nothing will come from that first "leak". It was a safe, uninteresting and blurry pic and many hours later we still don't have more. I don't think the person with the game has any interest in really leaking stuff.

It's impossible to stay safe, it's always all around the twitter and reddit. Being in a blackout is harder than before. This time there got to be a patch, maybe not a fully blocking one, instead one that blocks new pokémon or something.

Or Nintendo gets these idiots before they leak everything.
What's the deal with your pushback agains warning people that leaks are out there?

Pushback? what, no. Kinda hoped that they repeat what they did with BDSP, day one patch, but apparently it was a mistake, not a purposefully done thing.
There couldn't be a day one patch that blocked new Pokemon, that would make no sense. Unless they somehow put one in and allowed all reviewer's copies to bypass it in some way. But there's no way they'd do that, and the dataminers will have everything ripped and posted by the week before launch most likely. If you want to stay spoiler-free just stay out of leak threads, or stop looking up anything about S/V in general, it's really the only way. It's how I did it for Elden Ring, and it worked pretty well.

There couldn't be a day one patch that blocked new Pokemon, that would make no sense. Unless they somehow put one in and allowed all reviewer's copies to bypass it in some way. But there's no way they'd do that, and the dataminers will have everything ripped and posted by the week before launch most likely. If you want to stay spoiler-free just stay out of leak threads, or stop looking up anything about S/V in general, it's really the only way. It's how I did it for Elden Ring, and it worked pretty well.
Not just leak threads, I need to have 3 weeks of complete social media blackout. Useless reddit moderation did a really bad job with SWSH, everyone posted fan arts of leaked pokémon without getting banned. My instagram feed spoiled me few times, and that few leaked mons became top trending on twitter (Inteleon and Cinderace, especially). I saw Rillaboom on a thumbnail of a youtube video that was suggested to me.

I did unfollow some people who shared leaks on twitter though.

Not just leak threads, I need to have 3 weeks of complete social media blackout. Useless reddit moderation did a really bad job with SWSH, everyone posted fan arts of leaked pokémon without getting banned. My instagram feed spoiled me few times, and that few leaked mons became top trending on twitter (Inteleon and Cinderace, especially). I saw Rillaboom on a thumbnail of a youtube video that was suggested to me.

I did unfollow some people who shared leaks on twitter though.
Yeah it'll be tough, especially for the starter evos since most everyone will take those and run with them, like you said; they'll be a big point of discussion before launch and it's bound to spill into non-leak areas, even sometimes by accident or not thinking about it. All I can say is good luck!

"Say the line, Bart!"
"Small indie company Gamefreak"

Anyways only leaks I'm looking for is starter evos. I refuse to not look at them beforehand after Gen 6 burned me with wanting to pick Chespin

Can someone explain the blanket Chestnaught hate in the Pokémon fandom to me? He’s a warrior glyptodont! I love him with my life

I can’t tell if this is ironic or not.

i don’t remember Wyrdeer looking so stiff in PLA..
Probably the concept for wyrdeer forced the issue. Anything else and it would be too unnatural. But with koraidon and miraidon, they have two different methods of locomotion but have to share the same rigging constraints as other pokemon since they now share rigs around. Making a one-off motorcycle lean probably didn't make sense cause they'd be ditched next gen. Hell, only one of the two would even make use of the leaning, making the added effort even less fruitful. If they just went back to the bike, it would have made more sense to have such

There is a pic of the back of the box on the website:

And the 'animation_chest.json' can generate a gif like this:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom