• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told all the retailers to not give you a copy for a few more weeks.
You're welcome c:

palpatine-treason.gif

I am only saving you from crippling disapointments cuz of your choice of starter
Unless your choice is Sprigatito, of course
Oh and something something high ground something

Someone with these moves doesn't need higher ground.

darth-sidious-star-wars.gif

And with heavy heart, i decided, for the second time ever since playing Pokemon games, to not go with the water starter and go with the fire one.

Water starters final evo is maybe the most disappointed i've ever been in a starter, in terms of design, animations and stats.

See above, i edited my post before seeing yours.
Oooh, my bad, I posted too quick
But oh no, Quaxly 3... I have not seen yet (no spoilers) but now I am curious to see it eventually XD Fuecoco is nice tho.
Man I really hope I will enjoy these games a bunch, when a Pkmn game is good, it is always a great time. Legends was pretty good, so I have higher hopes than for SwordShield and SunMoon at least

Given what I've been reading it must be. PLA's performance was good though so I don't really get the "worse than Arceus" part?

To be honest (if performance is bad) I'd like a day one patch, but I'm not expecting one given that 1.0.1 already released, (mainly for reviewers I guess). I don't think GF can/will optimize the game this much in such a short amount of time.

Edit: (On PLA) I mean, pop-in and lod management were bad but other than that the game was locked 30, native res when played handheld, and dynamic 1080p with stuttering hiccups when docked (and we all know devs can do much worse than that on the system).
Oh sure, I didn't mean to imply that Arceus's performance is bad as it's actually pretty fine in general (for Pokémon/GF standards at least), but I'm asking because I kind of expeted Scar/Vio to be more or less on par with it, but I guess it was an even harder goal for them considering the full open world approach (among probably other things of course).

First review thanks to the reviewer getting a retail copy and not being restricted by embargo!

Damn what a great in-depth review, it was very exhaustive. Quoting the ending paragraph:

Having now finished a first playthrough of Pokémon Scarlet, and having started playing through Violet, I want to make it clear that my overall feelings on the new generation of Pokémon games are very positive, if peppered with caveats. I wish the game ran a little more smoothly, and I miss having little tasks to tick off in my Pokédex, but on first impressions I feel like these new games manage to capture a grand scale of adventure, that truly feels like an open ended story, in a tangible world.

For someone who grew up with the Pokémon series from a young age, and has had an autism special interest hyperfixation with the series from the very earliest years I was playing video games, Scarlet and Violet do feel like they bring to life something magical, the Pokémon world I imagined when I was a child.

If I could give one piece of advice to anyone planning to pick these games up, it would be the following. Don’t rush your way through.

I saw the main credits roll in Scarlet after about 40 hours, but that involved a lot of me sprinting past interesting looking sights, trying to have this review ready to post. I had the most fun with the game when I allowed myself to slow down and explore, taking in sights, and going wherever I saw something interesting. Letting myself get immersed in the journey, rather than trying to see it through as quickly as possible, was when the game felt most magical to me.

Scarlet and Violet are certainly not flawless games, but they are pretty magical experiences. They’re a wonderful step forward for the series, even if there are things dropped from Legends Arceus that I feel like are steps backward. It’s not universally going to replace Legends Arceus as my personal favourite Pokémon game, but it is setting a new benchmark for what this series wants to be, and I am excited for the direction the main series is heading.

Oh sure, I didn't mean to imply that Arceus's performance is bad as it's actually pretty fine in general (for Pokémon/GF standards at least), but I'm asking because I kind of expeted Scar/Vio to be more or less on par with it, but I guess it was an even harder goal for them considering the full open world approach (among probably other things of course).
Got it. I wasn't sure whether your post was implying one thing or the other and I, of course, got the wrong message lol.

And yeah I was also naively expecting them to be more or less on par. Maybe SV being fully open world coupled with GF's tech being what it is led to this result. And of course there might also be things under the hood that only the developers know that simply make the game more taxing on the system.

I'm having a bit of a pokemon craving so I booted Pokemon Sword the other day and started a new file. Hardly my favourite pokémon game but I somehow put in 10 hours since Saturday -neglecting all of my other non-pokémon games that I'm in the middle of. Pokémon is really something different. I can't wait til Friday.

I'm having a bit of a pokemon craving so I booted Pokemon Sword the other day and started a new file. Hardly my favourite pokémon game but I somehow put in 10 hours since Saturday -neglecting all of my other non-pokémon games that I'm in the middle of. Pokémon is really something different. I can't wait til Friday.
I've somehow resisted buying it over 10 different times it has called my name since release.... will I make it to Friday?

EDIT: oo actually yes I will bc I still have Brilliant Diamond to play after winning it here hehe

God i really cant decied. Till earlier today i was team violet. But after watching more now and understanding that scarlet is more inspired by the past and violet by the future (i know its obvious but i never really thought about it i feel dumb) i all the sudden feel more drawn to scarlet....

I have the feeling in the end i will have to flip a coin tomorrow.

Damn, the game releases in two days and i still havent finished the Legends post Game.

Only missing the Spiritomb quest, i'm thinking on going for the final battle and maybe taking care of that one later.
I’m still at the beginning of Legends. I feel like they’re different enough that I can play em at the same time.

Damn, the game releases in two days and i still havent finished the Legends post Game.

Only missing the Spiritomb quest, i'm thinking on going for the final battle and maybe taking care of that one later.
If it makes you feel better I haven't even started Legends Arceus, signs aren't looking good for finishing it before Friday 🫠

Spiritomb is bullshit, with how bad the drawdistance sometimes is you miss if simply because the game did not load while you where looking. if you have 3/4 of them, i would start using a guide.
Since you need all i think they are worse then koroks, you dont need all koroks, and its easier to see them. (sounds, visual effects,...)

I’m still at the beginning of Legends. I feel like they’re different enough that I can play em at the same time.
hm...maybe, for me it would be t close, with having teams, batling, being pokemon themed. but im also not big into having 2 big games at the same time.

Yeah, I can't agree with how they do modern starter evo designs.

The old pokemon dream (as shown in the anime) was to go on an adventure with your friend and a rival together with all your magical, powerful pets. Like a normal kid, but instead of a golden retriever you've got a dragon. But - they're still your pets.

The new pokemon dream appears to be you go on an adventure with your friend, who IS a pokemon. Like a normal kid, but instead of travelling with your parent you're travelling with a wrestler or a magician or a soccer player or some shit. Like, some of these pokemon look like they have work on a Monday morning - at a circus, sure, but work all the same.

Granted, one of the three this time around doesn't fall into that trap. But still.

Spiritomb is bullshit, with how bad the drawdistance sometimes is you miss if simply because the game did not load while you where looking. if you have 3/4 of them, i would start using a guide.
Since you need all i think they are worse then koroks, you dont need all koroks, and its easier to see them. (sounds, visual effects,...)

hm...maybe, for me it would be t close, with having teams, batling, being pokemon themed. but im also not big into having 2 big games at the same time.
I mean, I do agree the Spiritomb quest is a little dumb, but what made it super easy for me was simply camping to make it night, getting to the highest point in an area and then gliding around on Braviary. The purple flames do stand out a lot more from a farther distance away at night, and so many can only be found at night anyways (which, also bullshit when it's not immediately specified in game until I saw one literally disappear in front of me as the sun rose before I could collect it). Honestly I only needed a guide for the last spirit, and that was because it was hidden on a cliff face I couldn't easily see from Braviary around Mt. Coronet.

I mean, I do agree the Spiritomb quest is a little dumb, but what made it super easy for me was simply camping to make it night, getting to the highest point in an area and then gliding around on Braviary. The purple flames do stand out a lot more from a farther distance away at night, and so many can only be found at night anyways (which, also bullshit when it's not immediately specified in game until I saw one literally disappear in front of me as the sun rose before I could collect it). Honestly I only needed a guide for the last spirit, and that was because it was hidden on a cliff face I couldn't easily see from Braviary around Mt. Coronet.
I think i was missing 15 or so. Some in places i obably would not have searched anymore, the only at night thing is also somethign i asumed, so that was not what was tripping me. But flying passt one and being already on my way back just to see it appear behind me because the came was still loading it in... and i was NOT far away from it. There where a handfull of those in the game. In the day with the shading even if they are there they are sometimes hard to see. Theres no chime, not rally a good tool to give you hints where to still search, nothing. you CAN search for them without a guide, but the way its setup you could have missed one in region x. at least in my experience as far as i remember the game does not tell you where you are still missing some?

oh, yeah, the nps does count them. still, you can spend hours just trackign down the last few, and honestly, at that point, retreading my path for the second or third time...it does not feel worth the payoff. (i dont like spiritomb)
And at first i expected this sidequest to lead to a bigger sidequest involving giratina, but then i realized that its part of the main quest.

The old pokemon dream (as shown in the anime) was to go on an adventure with your friend and a rival together with all your magical, powerful pets. Like a normal kid, but instead of a golden retriever you've got a dragon. But - they're still your pets.

The new pokemon dream appears to be you go on an adventure with your friend, who IS a pokemon. Like a normal kid, but instead of travelling with your parent you're travelling with a wrestler or a magician or a soccer player or some shit. Like, some of these pokemon look like they have work on a Monday morning - at a circus, sure, but work all the same.

Granted, one of the three this time around doesn't fall into that trap. But still.
Didn’t expect to read this here 😬

While you're not wrong, you're missing the target audience of the new starter design school: Furry fan artists.

He's definitely wrong considering Pokemon have been depicted as equal friends and as having literal jobs since gen 1.

The starters themselves, though? Like, yes, we had more "humanlike" pokemon since gen 1, but starters were closer to pets/beasts, and only slowly became more humanoid over time.

The starters themselves, though? Like, yes, we had more "humanlike" pokemon since gen 1, but starters were closer to pets/beasts, and only slowly became more humanoid over time.
Slowly is a stretch since 2/3 of the starter's final forms have historically usually been bipedal and humanlike definitely started with either Feraligatr or Blaziken, depending on your definition.

Slowly is a stretch since 2/3 of the starter's final forms have historically usually been bipedal and humanlike definitely started with either Feraligatr or Blaziken, depending on your definition.
I'd be willing to take Blaziken as "humanlike", though I feel it's a bit of a stretch; but Feraligatr is... quite different from what I'd call humanlike.

I'd be willing to take Blaziken as "humanlike", though I feel it's a bit of a stretch; but Feraligatr is... quite different from what I'd call humanlike.
I'll admit I'm a little loose with what I consider humanlike... honestly, I would say Charizard is the first humanlike starter Pokemon, even despite the wings and firebreathing and whatnot

1 more day of being leak free and I did it, I am glad I managed to make it so far and it wasn't so difficult. Can't wait to dive into the game tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom