• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now my only big complaint about Scarlet/Violet is the fact that they got rid of the cel-shading with outlines for the models that they’ve used since X/Y to make the Pokémon look like the official Sugimori (and Sugimori-like) art… I mean, it’s not the first time they’ve dropped it in a main series game, since they did the same with Let’s Go, Pikachu!/Eevee!, Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl, and Legends: Arceus, but still, I had hoped they’d follow Sword/Shield’s art style and keep the cel-shading… Honestly I think the whole game just looks a lot worse without it. Not sure if the decision to get rid of it was made out of technical limitations or what (like, I wouldn’t think that cel-shading like that would take up more resources than whatever they’re doing now, but if it for some reason does then I guess it could have been a necessary sacrifice in order to have an open world Pokémon game…), but I hope it’s not gone for good even in future games…

Last edited:
She's cute but it's hard for me to really care about gym leaders when they pretty much disappear after you beat them and only exist for the few minutes you spend in their gym/fight them. Would like them to be more involved in the games from start to end.
The gym leaders coming back at the end of Black & White was hype shit.

TPCi fucked up lol; they shouldn't have announced this as a trailer. Either make it clear it's something else or just shadowdrop it.

On the actual thing: I'm also in the camp that thinks her companion pokemon will be revealed in the coming days.
I’m hearing you. Especially since we think the Pokémon will be officially revealed soon… it’s like an announcement of an announcement for an announcement

I wish they would do something like the Glimwood Tangle stream again, just with more going on and NOT 24 hrs
The audacity of the stream haha. Yeah I get it’s supposed to emulate wildlife cameras, but they should have cut out a lot of the boring filler. Realism is a reasonable sacrifice for entertainment.

On a side note I still love the name Glimwood Tangle, and it’s a shame that area was so meh map design-wise.

I am not super hyped. It looks way better than SwordShield, at least.
I have a lot of problems with their terrible game balance, inconsistent graphics, lack of voices, and just bafflin decisions.
But
The general Pokémon gameplay is usually still a fun time, and there are things that seems nice about this new one. So, I am sure I will still enjoy it.
Pokémon Designs are fantastic as always.
Klawf.

silence... serene silence of nature... peacefull... inner peace... inner peace...
rapidash appears

"BARIIIH DAROOOOHHHH!!!"

malinda-malinda-kathleen-reese.gif

Even though the Glimwood Tangle stream took 24 hours and nothing too interesting happened, I have fond memories of it. I used is as ambient background on the tv during the day and at times my partner would scream like "COME QUICK SOMETHINGS HAPPENING!!!" Then when we were in bed we both fell asleep while watching the stream on our phone. It was a fun thing to share.

The fact that Bellibolt's eyes aren't the little bumps on its sides but the two little yellow dots above its mouth is very funny to me. I love it.

The 2D art and in-game stuff make both the leader and the mon look better than in that uncanny valley stream-thing.

Bellibolt's really good. Hits that right balance of weird and cute. I knew it would be the case, but seeing Iono in-game with no voice after only seeing footage of her with a voice over was more jarring than I expected. Hope we get VA before the 50th anniversary lol.

every new pokemon reveal is just "pls don't be trash" for me. good abilities, but move pool and stats are always up in the air. GF thinks "balanced" is either giving good mons bad abilities or giving bad mons good abilities

every new pokemon reveal is just "pls don't be trash" for me. good abilities, but move pool and stats are always up in the air. GF thinks "balanced" is either giving good mons bad abilities or giving bad mons good abilities
it's even worse, they usually give horrible pokemon gamebreaking abilities that are still useless because even with those the pokemon are still insanely weak statwise. Just look at thievul, furfrou or frosmoth

I loved this whole little gimmick. The only thing I would change is revealing the Pokémon the next day instead of two days later. Iono is great change my mind

Also my first reaction to Bellibolt was “thanks I hate it”, which historically has always meant my opinion will do a 180 within the hour.

Even with the volume turned all the way down this VA is painful to listen to. how do anime fans tolerate this high-pitched screeching

Levincia looks cool and the new music sounds good in the gameplay trailer, at least

This is one of the first generations of Pokemon where I'm not really feeling any of the designs of the new Pokemon. I don't really dislike any of the designs either. I just feel sort of apathetic towards them? Hopefully that changes when I encounter them in game.

I kind of miss the vibrancy of colors in the game from what we've got to see so far.

Even with Ione's colorful appearance the colors just seem a bit muted to me.

Other than that, the game looks very promising!

Discussion around this game is so weird to me.
I despised Sword and Shield, not because of the Dexit or the Graphics, but because the leveldesign of the region and the story was just boring and it was so easy.
The character designs and the music was great, but man they lost me back then.
They got me back with Arceus, even if that game was kinda ugly and now this game looks better and seems to retain the openness(even if not all the features), but people just want to be upset it seems.

The newest Trailer with the Streamer Gym leader really doesn't play in their favour with the lack of voice acting ingame though.

I kind of miss the vibrancy of colors in the game from what we've got to see so far.

Even with Ione's colorful appearance the colors just seem a bit muted to me.

Other than that, the game looks very promising!
there's definitely a lack of contrast on some things. I wonder if it's the result of the rendering style and all the fake lighting

Discussion around this game is so weird to me.
I despised Sword and Shield, not because of the Dexit or the Graphics, but because the leveldesign of the region and the story was just boring and it was so easy.
The character designs and the music was great, but man they lost me back then.
They got me back with Arceus, even if that game was kinda ugly and now this game looks better and seems to retain the openness(even if not all the features), but people just want to be upset it seems.

The newest Trailer with the Streamer Gym leader really doesn't play in their favour with the lack of voice acting ingame though.
I'll fully admit I'm very much a glass half empty pessimist with a negative view on Pokemon nowadays but I honestly feel the marketing has been kinda weak, at least for core audiences. They aren't really doing a good job showing the game at it's best IMO.

This is one of the first generations of Pokemon where I'm not really feeling any of the designs of the new Pokemon. I don't really dislike any of the designs either. I just feel sort of apathetic towards them? Hopefully that changes when I encounter them in game.
Yeah, same here. I don't really HATE any of the new Pokemon or anything, they seem pretty much all fine, but none of them really jump out at me either (other than Ceruledge and Miraidon! I like them a lot). But so far, most of the Pokemon they've shown off have been more in the 'cute/goofy/cuddly' vein, and that's not really the kind of Pokemon I go for.

In fact, looking at the revealed Pokemon list, there's a remarkably high number of them that are round and bulbous and also fairly simple, and it feels like most of them have lots of curved, soft lines; that's definitely not as much my style. Bring on the jagged lines and overdesigned mons! Gen 5 is my favorite dex for a reason.

I'll fully admit I'm very much a glass half empty pessimist with a negative view on Pokemon nowadays but I honestly feel the marketing has been kinda weak, at least for core audiences. They aren't really doing a good job showing the game at it's best IMO.
I guess the "core audience" wants to know how is this game as a proper rpg experience. especially now that the series is moving to an open world. for me personally, how is balancing handled? I said elsewhere that I feared doing one quest over the others would put you at endgame levels, allowing you to steamroll the other quests without any bits if interest.

this reminds me of Skyrim in a way. being overpowered in skyrim is fun, whereas in Pokemon it's terrible. with skyrim, combat isn't the focus because there is loads of non-combat shit to do and to find enjoyment in. just seeing where you go and who you talk to and what you find was the reward. however, in pokemon, the combat is the meat of the main series. and when you're overpowered, it's just not fun. there's not interesting sidequests and plot to supplement those. gym leaders fade out of existence, relevancy-wise, the moment you beat them. Legends Arceus really fixed this by not making combat the focus, but finding pokemon. this, in turn, affected exploration. new areas rewarded you, new pokemon gave you new quests in jubilife village, and catching all of the pokemon, for once, game you a good reward. and in a stroke of irony, the combat was more fun too

I mean I don’t play Pokemon for combat. Pokemon has always been style over substance for me.

On the topic of style the only Pokemon design I dislike so far is Farigiraf. The rest have been amazing.

I didn't care for the trailer. But it's one of those things where it's w/e. I would have to see some concerning things for me not to get the game. I don't think a trailer can effectively hype or dehype me unless there is something major they havn't shown us yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom